General movie chitchat

Jay

The writing is catastrophic in Fallen Kingdom but Bayona at least did some great shots which wasn't Trevorrow's case.

In the end JWFK would never the worst JP movie thanks to the great Dominion :lol:

27 minutes ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

In the end JWFK would never the worst JP movie thanks to the great Dominion :lol:

I thought I'd at least be happy to see the old gang, but Goldblum just plays the kind of caricature of himself that we're used to seeing now, and I find him grating.

1 hour ago, Mr. Hooper said:

@Edmilson Sorry to have dredged up bad memories!

Did the nostalgia baiting work and get you into the theatre for JP: Dominion anyway?

Oh this isn't a bad memory at all, any time me and my friends went to the theater we had fun even if the movie itself is crappy :lol:

When Dominion was released I was already expecting a disaster. So I was on the right mindset for it when I saw it. Unlike FK, which had a decent director behind the cameras and a cool trailer, which made me hope for something much better than it actually were.

And yeah, Bayona's direction is the only good thing on FK. It has some cool shots at least. Dominion didn't even have that.

8 hours ago, Mr. Hooper said:

I enjoyed the original, and remember first watching the T-Rex scene with my mouth hanging open, so I'm not sure why I passed on this one. I guess I was just single-mindedly into Star Wars in 1997.

Is the third worth seeing at all?

No 

Chris Pratt diminishes everything he touches.

11 hours ago, Jay said:

Yeah

Thanks.

Terrible waste of everyone's time, money, and effort.

4 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Chris Pratt diminishes everything he touches.

I kinda liked him as the goofy jock, in EVERWOOD.

I've recently purchased PASSENGERS, so I'll watch that, soon, even if it is only for the rather good Thomas Newman score.

It took about 30 minutes for the wheels to start falling off Jurassic World. I never saw the sequels, and probably never will. Even Spielberg couldn’t make a compelling sequel, great action scenes notwithstanding, what chance did a studio hack have? Life’s too short for legacy sequels.

Just now, A24 said:

I didn't even make it that far.

I may not have either. I haven’t seen or thought about that film since I left the theater, so I don’t remember.

3 hours ago, Schilkeman said:

It took about 30 minutes for the wheels to start falling off Jurassic World. I never saw the sequels, and probably never will. Even Spielberg couldn’t make a compelling sequel, great action scenes notwithstanding, what chance did a studio hack have? Life’s too short for legacy sequels.

Not much of a compliment, but the first Jurassic World is actually decent enough, but only in comparison to the next two!

We're watching the Birds. Man that score. There are several little moments in the movie I don't like one in particular is how cavalier they are with the smoking. And when the main character finishes her cigarette throws it on the ground and snuffs it out I would have picture fit if someone did that in my yard

1 hour ago, JoeinAR said:

We're watching the Birds. Man that score. There are several little moments in the movie I don't like one in particular is how cavalier they are with the smoking. And when the main character finishes her cigarette throws it on the ground and snuffs it out I would have picture fit if someone did that in my yard

Ah yes, back when smokers had all the rights and non-smokers just had to deal with it. Gawd, I remember when smoking was even allowed on commercial flights. Glad that's all changed.

Jurassic Park III is better than Lost World. It's a Joe Johnston film featuring things that fly. We watched the three JP movies when my kids were VERY little. (4? Maybe 5?) JP III was the only one we actually had to stop because it was too scary. As an adult that surprised me. When the guy got eaten on the runway my daughter just lost it. And this was after seeing JP 1 a BUNCH.

No, there isn't much that is better than the whole trailer sequence in the Lost World. Pity it didn't have a film to go with it.

I freaking love Jurassic World. And the sequels to it are some of the most unpleasant time I've spent in a cinema. It's almost remarkable.

A small question that I already suspect what the answer to will be but I'll ask anyway: I finally read 1984, and if I were to watch 1984 (1984), which music track would be the recommended way?

Without having actually seen the movie, it's hard for me to really imagine how the Eurythmic's score goes with the picture, since it's blatantly obvious with the TT isolated track that they chopped up the compositions they made to fit with the scenes they're used in. Given that, I suppose the Muldowney score will probably be what's preferred if you want something that's actually scored to picture, but you arguably lose something in the contrast between the nationalistic source music and the synthy underscore from the initial release. I guess it just depends on how much you want to respect the director's intent at the end of the day, since he's fairly transparent about which to pick.

9 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

I guess it just depends on how much you want to respect the director's intent at the end of the day, so he's fairly transparent about which to pick.

I put more value into what works best for the movie.

IMG_3274.jpeg

39 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

The Spinosaur ruins the film

IMG_3273.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Thor said:

Why? It's the best part of the film.

On 22/10/2023 at 11:10 AM, Thor said:

Why? It's the best part of the film.

No spinosaurus could survive against a T-Rex while it was longer the T-Rex is Jaws would have crushed it with the first bite. The movie made out of disastrous mistaken killing the T-Rex with this less than spectacular dinosaur

On 21/10/2023 at 6:13 AM, Mr. Hooper said:

Not much of a compliment, but the first Jurassic World is actually decent enough, but only in comparison to the next two!

Mr Hooper Jurassic World was just awful The second movie was equally awful except for the wonderful brontosaurus scene and the third one was horrid, James Bond versus Jurassic Park isn't a genre that works that works

Ugh still so annoyed that film never ended up getting made. The first one is one of my personal favorite guilty pleasures (not even that guilty actually I think it’s a pretty good film) and I would’ve paid good money to see a David Fincher big budget zombie film with Brad Pitt. Like come on! Would’ve been so cool.

6 minutes ago, MaxMovieMan said:

Ugh still so annoyed that film never ended up getting made. The first one is one of my personal favorite guilty pleasures (not even that guilty actually I think it’s a pretty good film) and I would’ve paid good money to see a David Fincher big budget zombie film with Brad Pitt. Like come on! Would’ve been so cool.

"Pretty good film" is an understatement. WORLD WAR Z is my alltime favourite zombie movie. Probably seen it some 15 times. I never get tired of it -- all the different locales and "mini films" within it keep the replay value very high indeed. Which is quite the feat, considering the production troubles.

I have always kept up hope that Fincher will some day make that sequel, but with this news -- that the story is pretty much used up by THE LAST OF US -- that hope dwindled a bit.

8 minutes ago, MaxMovieMan said:

Same here.

Brother!

12 minutes ago, Thor said:

"Pretty good film" is an understatement. WORLD WAR Z is my alltime favourite zombie movie. Probably seen it some 15 times. I never get tired of it -- all the different locales and "mini films" within it keep the replay value very high indeed. Which is quite the feat, considering the production troubles.

I have always kept up hope that Fincher will some day make that sequel, but with this news -- that the story is pretty much used up by THE LAST OF US -- that hope dwindled a bit.

Let's make our own zombie trilogy and call them World War Æ, World War Ø, and World War Å.

Personally, I don't care who directs it. It could be directed by Daffy Duck, for all I care... but I get the reference.

44 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Shaun of the Dead is mine.

"What was that?!"

"'Blue Monday'".

"That was an original pressing!"

"Fuck's sake".

"'Purple Rain'?"

"No".

"'Sign O' The Times'?"

"Definitely not".

"The 'Batman' soundtrack?"

"Throw it".

"Dire Straits?"

"Throw it.

"The Stone Roses'?"

"Er, no".

"'Second Coming'?"

"I like it".

"Ah! Sade".

"That was Liz's".

"Yeah, but she did dump you".

ROTFLMAO

6 minutes ago, mstrox said:

It struck me at the time as light on horror and heavy on action.

That's correct.

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

I remember not caring for World War Z at all.  Maybe I’ll have to give it another try sometime.  It struck me at the time as light on horror and heavy on action.

Well, in a way. But the action is always very grounded and tense. And I'd say that last act, the lab sequence, is about as horror as it can get. Freaked me out first time I saw the film.

2 hours ago, Jay said:
2 hours ago, mstrox said:

It struck me at the time as light on horror and heavy on action.

That's correct.

It's been a while since I last watched it. Not much actual horror perhaps, but certainly a tense atmosphere and some terror. I seem to remember it all feeling unsettlingly plausible (Hollywood zombie factor aside), a bit like Spielberg's panic sequences in War of the Worlds (if not as good as that). Mankind's helplessness against the sheer number of zombies is presented quite convincingly.

Beltrami adds an effective Zimmer-type score that underlines these qualities:

I watched it but don't remember a thing. The best 'zombie' movie for me is 28 Days Later, which portrayed a world that is more real and tangible to me.