Jurassic Park turns 30 today!

crocodile

Crazy to think it's been 30 years. My alltime favourite film and my alltime favourite score, and a crucial part in defining my whole identity. I feel like I need to write a lot about my connection to this score, but as I wrote on FSM, it would probably be boring to everyone else to read a long, self-absorbed post here. Instead, I might write an article at some point during the year to celebrate this most important score in my life.

One of my earlier memories of seeing a movie in the cinema.  Boy, what a thrill!

The Fugitive that summer stands out as well

I distinctly remember not liking JURASSIC PARK, when I first saw it. Still, that didn't stop me seeing it five times at the cinema, that Summer :lol:.

Of course, I've come to love it, over the years.

There were, however, big issues with the sound. At that time, most cinemas in the UK did not have DTS installed (only a handful had Dolby Digital), so the soundtrack was incompatible with what was already being used. This created great problems for a lot of movie theatres. Eventually, Dolby Stereo compatible prints  were made and sent out.

Ps, the effects in JP are still the best of the series.

46 minutes ago, Jay said:

The Fugitive that summer stands out as well

You also saw The Fugitive in theaters as a kid? :lol:

JP is one of the reasons sometimes I wish I was born ten years earlier than I did. Imagine being 10 in 1993 and seeing in theaters Jurassic Park and Aladdin (which was released in my country in June of that year, seven months after the US)!

3 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

You also saw The Fugitive in theaters as a kid? :lol:

I was 13 in the summer of 1993

So one of your first experiences in a movie theater was at age 13? :o

When I reached that age I had already been to the cinema like dozens of times... lol. But that's because my dad's favorite program with his children was to take me and my brothers to the theater, even when the movie was crap (like the Eddie Murphy Haunted Mansion movie or that horrendous Dr Seuss adaptation with Mike Myers).

18 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

So one of your first experiences in a movie theater was at age 13? :o

No, just one of the first ones I remember well, and thinking I was now seeing something beyond the G and PG fair I had been taken to see before then

30 minutes ago, Jay said:

I was 13 in the summer of 1993

I was 11 1/2. And when I saw JURASSIC PARK with my Dad in the theater, I actually thought that the dinosaurs were real. Back then we didn’t know or understand what computer generated images were and they looked (and still look) totally real. It took me some time to realize and actually believe that they were in fact CGI visual effects. 

And naturally hearing John Williams’ score for the first time was just like seeing the dinosaurs, it had its own life. 
JP was one of the last films that wasn’t just a film. It was an event. An unforgettable experience that changed filmmaking forever. It was great to be a kid in 1993.

And later that year I saw SCHINDLER’S LIST, again, with my Dad. But that’s another story. 

4 hours ago, Thor said:

it would probably be boring to everyone else to read a long, self-absorbed post here. 

Most of us will be happy to read such a post.  Remember, we paid to watchThe Fabelmans.

Yeah, I'd love to see more "personal stories" type of post here. I am endlessly fascinated with the formative experiences one youngster can have, whether this with movies, games, comic books, sports or, you know, just regular life experiences.

The build up to the T-Rex breakout scene is still unmatched.  It's a shame blockbusters can't set that tone anymore.

The effects in this movie are still some of the greatest of all time, considering the time.

'Journey to the Island' is probably in the top 5 greatest cues in existence.

All great stuff guys, thank you for sharing.

My first experience watching this film was less glamorous. I was 8 at the time and a neighbour of hours somehow obtained a pirated VHS copy of this not long after it was released. I remember this was subtitled. We watched it with the family one evening and I distinctly remember hiding under the table with my sister and our friend. I can't remember if it was because I was afraid but I do remember it made a big impression on me. And, of course, there was the music which I loved instantly. Think I've seen that tape dozens of times.

Karol

Pity that such a film like Jurassic Park doesn't have the definite release on physical media.

The UHD is plagued with DNR.

Fortunately there is the 35mm scan around, which I may have to watch tonight in honor of one of my favorite movies, that I too watched at the cinema at the age of 13.

Jurassic Park was the first movie I went to as a fully conscious Williams's fan.  So, in a sense, it was my first time watching a new movie as a John Williams's movie.  I must admit, outside of the fanfare played during the helicopter ride and the final T-Rex scene, I was not all that blown away.  I bought the score and then I realized its brilliance from start to finish.  I also began to understand that it is really hard to appreciate a score the first time out, particularly when watching the film.  

As for the film, the found it distracting that Newman was in it but otherwise, I had a blast.  

I'm not sure if I had started watching SEINFELD at the time (probably had), but it was thrilling to see Wayne Knight in a different role.

I was in high school at the time.  Seinfeld was the biggest show for us.  Wayne Knight is fine, but it would have been just as distracting for me to see Kramer or Jerry in the role.  

Now I can confess, I never liked the main theme. The whole score is brillant, but I found this pastoral Main melody always boring. 

There are some scores by Williams where I love almost everything about it except the main theme. A little bit like Indiana Jones. Never was a particular fan of the march. But everything else is gold.

Midway, another one.

Apart from that, this great helicopter flight scene was probably the last really uplifting John Williams moments that I experienced in cinema. For that I adore the movie and the score.

3 hours ago, Thor said:

I'm not sure if I had started watching SEINFELD at the time (probably had), but it was thrilling to see Wayne Knight in a different role.

I was introduced to the work of Wayne Knight, in J.F.K. I remember seeing him, again, in BASIC INSTINCT.

I have never seen a single second of SEINFELD, but I did watch 3rd ROCK FROM THE SUN.

15 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Now I can confess, I never liked the main theme.

That’s the first time I have ever heard someone who’s a John Williams fan say it. We all have different tastes. 

15 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

There are some scores by Williams where I love almost everything about it except the main theme.

I’m like that but the opposite with JP2. I really like the main theme, but am kind of indifferent to the entire score. I enjoy it, but overall I prefer JP, which is, to me, a much richer score. Again, tastes. 

1 hour ago, JTW said:

I’m like that but the opposite with JP2. I really like the main theme, but am kind of indifferent to the entire score. I enjoy it, but overall I prefer JP, which is, to me, a much richer score. Again, tastes. 

Yeah, I agree. I don't like JP2 much.

Too many percussion loops I think.

The expanded score has changed my perspective on TLW. I was never a fan of the OST, but I absolutely adore the score.

Often, John Williams' OST are composed to highlight only certain aspects of a film's score. If one doesn't particularly enjoy that aspect, it can affect the overall listening experience. In an expanded score, everything is always better balanced, and, especially in the case of John Williams, one can appreciate how he composes the final scenes first, thus savoring the progression of the themes that evolve throughout the film.

22 minutes ago, Bespin said:

The expanded score has changed my perspective on TLW. I was never a fan of the OST, but I absolutely adore the score.

I have bought the expanded score but I'm not sure if I have listened to it yet! :P

4 hours ago, Bespin said:

Often, John Williams' OST are composed to highlight only certain aspects of a film's score. If one doesn't particularly enjoy that aspect, it can affect the overall listening experience. In an expanded score, everything is always better balanced, and, especially in the case of John Williams, one can appreciate how he composes the final scenes first, thus savoring the progression of the themes that evolve throughout the film.

One point of critic I have especially for JW OSTs of sequel scores. Usually his sequel scores have just a handfull up to a dozen short references to the previous scores. But why do all these references and quotes to be on the OST? That is why for sequels the FYC are usually better because these avoid the old stuff.