NYT: "John Williams on 'Indiana Jones' and His Favorite Scores" (6/24/23)

Dr. Know

Will anyone even dare to SAY NO to Williams, today? Helena's theme is great but could have been MORE 60's, you know, if the director had the guts to have comments on Williams' work. Richard Donner initially rejected Williams' theme for the villains. Williams wrote a new one. It seems to me that everyone praises Williams these days because he is JOHN WILLIAMS.

I don’t disagree with you that directors should have the guts to express disagreement with Williams. But according to Mangold’s quote, in his opinion Williams ended up being right about the theme. Remember, it was Mangold who suggested that he perform it at the Hollywood Bowl 9 months early, which was basically unprecedented. Elsewhere, he has also been highly complimentary towards the score. It’s not like he has had beef with this theme this whole time, but held his tongue just because it’s John Williams; it seems to me that he actually loves Williams’ music for the film and is more than content with what he got from JW.

52 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

I don’t disagree with you that directors should have the guts to express disagreement with Williams. But according to Mangold’s quote, in his opinion Williams ended up being right about the theme. Remember, it was Mangold who suggested that he perform it at the Hollywood Bowl 9 months early, which was basically unprecedented. Elsewhere, he has also been highly complimentary towards the score. It’s not like he has had beef with this theme this whole time, but held his tongue just because it’s John Williams; it seems to me that he actually loves Williams’ music for the film and is more than content with what he got from JW.

Yes, that's all true. I still think Helena's theme would fit better to Indy's love interest (woman closer to his age), than young female character in turbulent 60's. I'm curious how it works in the movie.

10 hours ago, Darth Mulder said:

Will anyone even dare to SAY NO to Williams, today? Helena's theme is great but could have been MORE 60's, you know, if the director had the guts to have comments on Williams' work. Richard Donner initially rejected Williams' theme for the villains. Williams wrote a new one. It seems to me that everyone praises Williams these days because he is JOHN WILLIAMS.

I wanted to go radio-silence, but here I am.

Mangold TOLD Williams to write a theme reminiscence of the 40s/50s, not the 60s.  Why suggest that Williams is therefore out of step with the director after doing exactly what he was told to do?  

Mangold's comments likely have more to do with how the theme would be used in film with respect to other dimensions of her character, which Williams knew would not be a problem.  

This was a really nice interview with the Maestro.

52 minutes ago, Tom said:

I wanted to go radio-silence, but here I am.

Mangold TOLD Williams to write a theme reminiscence of the 40s/50s, not the 60s.  Why suggest that Williams is therefore out of step with the director after doing exactly what he was told to do?  

Mangold's comments likely have more to do with how the theme would be used in film with respect to other dimensions of her character, which Williams knew would not be a problem.  

9 hours ago, Tydirium said:

According to Mangold’s quote, in his opinion Williams ended up being right about the theme. Remember, it was Mangold who suggested that he perform it at the Hollywood Bowl 9 months early, which was basically unprecedented. Elsewhere, he has also been highly complimentary towards the score. It’s not like he has had beef with this theme this whole time, but held his tongue just because it’s John Williams; it seems to me that he actually loves Williams’ music for the film and is more than content with what he got from JW.

17 hours ago, Tom said:

Nice article--sounds like Williams was in a good mood when giving it.  Nice to hear him talk just a little about How to Steal a Million.  

Indeed. But he neglected to mention that he had worked with John frickin' Ford many years before Wyler and HTSAM.

43 minutes ago, Brando said:

The little anecdote about the Superman theme shouting “Superman” was neat.

If I recall correctly this anecdote is actually very old. But still good. Donner was really enthusiastic about the score for sure.

2 hours ago, ricsim88 said:

If I recall correctly this anecdote is actually very old. But still good. Donner was really enthusiastic about the score for sure.

It is, I believe Donner mentions it in the Making Of documentary, and I remember asking if there was any truth about it being Williams idea in a pm thread here, and no one knew if it was or not, but I see this as a confirmation.