Omni Music Publishing, Chris Siddall Music, Neumation Music: What are your most wanted scores from these companies?

filmmusic

Some of my favorite scores have already been released by these 3 companies (or about to be released).

But I was wondering:

What are your most wanted ones?

Maybe the people involved in the sheet music business, would see this thread, and get ideas from us.. (yeah, I know, it's not very likely since there are so many problems to overcome in between like rights, approvals and stuff).

(edit: Obviously, you cannot pick any John Williams I'm afraid...)

So, mine, off the top of my head:

LEGEND (Jerry Goldsmith) - I really think this is his masterpiece
DANCES WITH WOLVES (John Barry) - this shouldn't have any intricate textures and complicated orchestrations, but I'd love to see it though

SOMMERSBY (Danny Elfman) - I'm interested in this side of Elfman too besides the dark comic side that has been/is to be explored (the Batmans, Beetlejuice, Spiderman 2)

ANGEL'S EGG (Yoshihiro Kanno) - I think this is a masterpiece score for an anime.

THE LION KING (Hans Zimmer and co?) - Top Zimmer. My favorite cue is the Stampede.

WATERWORLD (James Newton Howard) - one of the best action scores ever!

PRINCESS MONONOKE (Joe Hisaishi) - gorgeous all around

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (Alan Menken) - I admit TANGLED was an odd choice since there are some other early Menken masterpieces

THE REMAINS OF THE DAY (Richard Robbins) - underrated composer

PLANET OF THE APES (Jerry Goldsmith) - atonal masterpiece

There's 10 for you. ;)

Just now, Jay said:

Something by John Williams :)

Ah, you were too fast! I added in my initial post that we cannot pick any Williams because he obviously doesn't want to I assume.

On 08/07/2023 at 10:39 PM, filmmusic said:

Some of my favorite scores have already been released by these 3 companies (or about to be released).

But I was wondering:

What are your most wanted ones?

Maybe the people involved in the sheet music business, would see this thread, and get ideas from us.. (yeah, I know, it's not very likely since there are so many problems to overcome in between like rights, approvals and stuff).

(edit: Obviously, you cannot pick any John Williams I'm afraid...)

So, mine, off the top of my head:

LEGEND (Jerry Goldsmith) - I really think this is his masterpiece
DANCES WITH WOLVES (John Barry) - this shouldn't have any intricate textures and complicated orchestrations, but I'd love to see it though

SOMMERSBY (Danny Elfman) - I'm interested in this side of Elfman too besides the dark comic side that has been/is to be explored (the Batmans, Beetlejuice, Spiderman 2)

ANGEL'S EGG (Yoshihiro Kanno) - I think this is a masterpiece score for an anime.

THE LION KING (Hans Zimmer and co?) - Top Zimmer. My favorite cue is the Stampede.

WATERWORLD (James Newton Howard) - one of the best action scores ever!

PRINCESS MONONOKE (Joe Hisaishi) - gorgeous all around

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (Alan Menken) - I admit TANGLED was an odd choice since there are some other early Menken masterpieces

THE REMAINS OF THE DAY (Richard Robbins) - underrated composer

PLANET OF THE APES (Jerry Goldsmith) - atonal masterpiece

There's 10 for you. ;)

Nice thread, and list!  You can guarantee that myself and the other publishers have at least considered 99% of the scores you'd expect to see in this kind of thread, but as you suspected there are several factors, not least licensing to consider.  Locating the original full score manuscript is not as straightforward as one might expect, even then gaining access to it is another hurdle.  Then there is the matter of its condition, completeness both in terms of missing pages or cues, as well as elements not notated within it (overdubs, prelays, soloists, post processing effects, cuts and edits made at the session etc.), and lastly legibility.  If you've ever seen Dimitri Tiomkin's handwriting you'll know why the last one is important!!  Of course, one other important consideration is the likelihood that the score will at least cover its own costs (break even).  It's almost a shame that that is a consideration at all, because there are some beautiful "less well-known" scores out there that deserve to see the light of day, but we all have bills to pay and families to support!  Find us the audience, and we'll gladly put them on the list!

CSMP has titles secured that will take us through to next summer, with more exciting things cooking which we can't wait to reveal in due course (Testament next week, The Rocketeer targeting late August, Braveheart targeting late November and more to come).  The last piece of the "planning" puzzle when it comes to wish lists is to know that it takes around 3-4 months to produce each book depending on complexity and length of score, so even a "top 10" would take around 3 years to produce.  There are at least 100 scores that I could rattle off right now that I'd like to see in print someday, so now we're talking 30+ years of work!  Even if your favourite score appears to get pre-empted by something "lesser", there may be a multitude of reasons why everything managed to align to mean another title got released first.

On 08/07/2023 at 10:59 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

Easy & affordable shipping to the EU. :mellow:

CSMP is based in the UK, so slightly less painful than shipping from the US.  Omni now has some titles stocked by Schott which come from Germany.

Thank you @chrissiddall for the detailed analysis!

18 minutes ago, chrissiddall said:

CSMP is based in the UK, so slightly less painful than shipping from the US.

Well, not quite, because there is customs to pay too I'm afraid. :(

1 minute ago, filmmusic said:

Thank you @chrissiddall for the detailed analysis!

You're very welcome.  I can neither confirm nor deny whether any that have been mentioned in this thread are on my active radar, so please keep the wish lists coming - it's always great to see where strong passions lie.  Personally speaking I'd like to have an alternating schedule where a tentpole "guaranteed hit" (they're never guaranteed in my experience!) allows for a more "niche" choice/passion project.  I've got a couple of those coming up, so will be very interested to see how well they're received!

Signs

The Hours

The Fountain 

Tron Legacy

Rogue Nation

On 08/07/2023 at 11:39 PM, filmmusic said:

Good choice, but I'd want Out of Africa more.

15 hours ago, MikeH said:

Anything John Barry

We have a 1970s title coming up. And at least one 1960s title planned. Perhaps a 1980s title, too. I’m a big Barry fan so plenty of love will come his way from Neumation. 

After release of our announced batch, Neumation will focus primarily on smaller, lesser known scores:

Mandel, Hopkins, Kaper, Safan, 60s TV music etc. It may be more accurate to say, titles that are historically important, but not blockbusters. That repertoire is well covered. There is much more variety outside of blockbuster Hollywood music. 

On 8/7/2023 at 2:46 PM, filmmusic said:

Ah, you were too fast! I added in my initial post that we cannot pick any Williams because he obviously doesn't want to I assume.

Oh, never assume. Heh.

7 hours ago, chrissiddall said:

Locating the original full score manuscript is not as straightforward as one might expect, even then gaining access to it is another hurdle. 

This is less of an issue for Neumation, though several publishers recently sold the print rights which has been a hurdle and will possibly cause complications down the road.

1 hour ago, neumation said:

We have a 1970s title coming up. And at least one 1960s title planned. Perhaps a 1980s title, too. I’m a big Barry fan so plenty of love will come his way from Neumation. 

Ah, great news!

(Although I'm not familiar with 60s and 70s Barry).

From the 60s I guess it's a James Bond score maybe, or Lion in the winter.

From the 70s I would die for King Kong:D

9 hours ago, chrissiddall said:

CSMP is based in the UK, so slightly less painful than shipping from the US.  Omni now has some titles stocked by Schott which come from Germany.

UK vs US doesn't make much of a difference post-Brexit, I'm afraid. What makes it worse is that you can't trust the logistic companies. When I ordered 3 scores from Omni US, the logistics company used the wrong VAT (20% instead of 5%) and took the entire recipe amount (including the hefty shipping fee) as just the net cost of the books, then estimated an even heftier shipping fee, and charged VAT for that as well, plus of course their own fee. All in all they charged be about €100 (!) too much, and after several very detailed emails in which I show them the wrongs of their calculations, they refunded me about half of that…

With Omni, I'm now waiting for the remaining scores I'm interested in to hit Schott (I hope they do…). But there's three CSMP releases I have to have as well, and I haven't yet been able to justify the costs to myself.

Which leads me to a question I've been meaning to ask for a while: Is there maybe some way to order them and pick them up in person in London when I'm there on a trip again?

2 hours ago, neumation said:

After release of our announced batch, Neumation will focus primarily on smaller, lesser known scores:

Lady Jane by Stephen Oliver and The Phantom of the Opera by Roy Budd, please.

17 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Lady Jane by Stephen Oliver and The Phantom of the Opera by Roy Budd, please.

Not quite that “lesser known.” Lol. I’ve honestly not heard these and don’t know how much commercial potential there is. That’s not a no, but they wouldn’t be high priority projects unless someone collaborated with us on the production.

1 minute ago, neumation said:

Not quite that “lesser known.” Lol. I’ve honestly not heard these and don’t know how much commercial potential there is. That’s not a no, but they wouldn’t be high priority projects unless someone collaborated with us on the production.

You haven't heard them? Then you're in for two major treats - as you say, there is much more variety outside of blockbuster Hollywood music. 

Lady Jane has been released on CD by James Fitzpatrick, and the CD release of Phantom was championed by Budd's widow. I'm sure both of these would be glad to share the information you'd need for a physical score release. At least the score to Phantom should exist in complete condition, as it was performed live to picture in 2017, but I don't know/can't remember if the score to Lady Jane is available.

Goldsmith's Lionheart, In Harm's Way, and Raggedy Man... because I'm curious how the written sketches at the Herrick Library match up with what's been released. I know In Harm's Way has a TON of unreleased music, think Lionheart still has a little, and Raggedy Man is a big question mark:

https://collections.new.oscars.org/Details/Archive/71303004

Yavar

Mission: Impossible (Elfman)

The X-Files: Fight the Future (Snow)

Largo Winch (Desplat)

The Golden Compass (Desplat)

Tomorrow Never Dies (Arnold)

Any John Williams score, of course. A complete Tintin (with alternates), for instance.

STARGATE (David Arnold)

PAN (John Powell)

CHICKEN RUN (John Powell/Harry Gregson-Williams)

KING KONG (Max Steiner)

IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD (Ernest Gold)

THE MUMMY (Jerry Goldsmith)

REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE (Leonard Rosenman)

And..obviously anything John Williams.

14 hours ago, chrissiddall said:

Yes, send me an email before you order. I used to offer a "pickup" option openly, but people started abusing it/accidentally selecting that to order without paying any shipping (it then creates a load of hassle to add it after the fact) so now it's more "by request". I'm actually a little south of London, but if I can combine it with other errands I'm happy to jump on a train. 

One other consideration is that if your 3 titles become 4+, check out or "Ordering Policies" on the store! 

That's great news! I have no immediate plans to return to London, but I haven't been since before the pandemic and want to go again before too long. And now I've one more reason. What I'll save on shipping taxes will probably make up quite a bit for the cost of a flight. ;)

• 2 months later...

I wonder if we'll ever see another Disney release... Tangled from OMNI was fantastic (and I bought it instantly!), but I would love to see something from the golden era of animation, or the renaissance.

On 22/9/2023 at 11:19 PM, chrissiddall said:

I really want to (because they're exciting), but I don't want to draw attention away from The Rocketeer (and Braveheart, which yes, is next).  Although it gets people excited for what's coming in the future, it also becomes frustrating that it's not here "now"!  It's a tough one with pros and cons.

I can say though, that there will be two from composers who haven't had a full score release before, and two who have...!

Not sure if I should share this info given Chris’ reasoning in his earlier post, but he just revealed some very exciting 2024 releases!

2 minutes ago, ricsim88 said:

As I own many of Chris’s releases I’m always excited to see what’s coming up.

As mentioned, Braveheart is next, but then we'll give Mr. Horner a little rest (but not for too long)!

Sssshhhhh!!  ;)

Spoiler

TYA Alt.jpg

1 minute ago, chrissiddall said:

As mentioned, Braveheart is next, but then we'll give Mr. Horner a little rest (but not for too long)!

Sssshhhhh!!  ;)

Hide contents

TYA Alt.jpg

Arghhhh I need to start saving now…going to be an expensive year @chrissiddall

• 4 weeks later...

@chrissiddall Some videogame scores I'd be very interested in seeing would be suites comprised of the orchestral CGI movie and end titles music in the PS1 Final Fantasy games (8 and 9). they could be quite popular releases, though I don't know how hard it is to get a hold of videogame score manuscripts.

• 4 months later...
On 09/07/2023 at 8:30 AM, p0llux said:

Since you already mentioned Princess Mononoke. I'm gonna go with:

Howl's Moving Castle by Joe Hisaishi

Howl's Moving Castle: Image Symphonic Suite by Joe Hisaishi

Hey!

I'm actually transcribing the Image Symphonic Suite as it sounds in the album. For now, I've only done the 1st movement, Mysterious World, but my plan is to do it entirely!

Check it out here: