James Newton Howard - ALL THE LIGHT WE CANNOT SEE

Edmilson

James is scoring a minisseries for Netflix that'll come out later this year or early next year:

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2022/03/08/james-newton-howard-to-score-netflixs-all-the-light-we-cannot-see/

Between this and Willow, he has been doing a lot of TV lately.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

James is scoring a minisseries for Netflix that'll come out later this year or early next year:

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2022/03/08/james-newton-howard-to-score-netflixs-all-the-light-we-cannot-see/

Between this and Willow, he has been doing a lot of TV lately.

Very exciting!

I'd like to think that when a composer as talented and successful as Howard reaches this point in his/her career, where money could not possibly be a motivation anymore, they will choose projects that appeal to them purely for musical opportunity.

I mean, I would. I have a feeling James is exercising this privilege now.

Here's the sinopsis for the show:

The 4-part drama is based on Anthony Doerr’s Pulitzer Prize-winning bestseller and tells the story of Marie-Laure, a teenager who is blind, and Werner, a German soldier, whose paths collide in occupied France as both try to survive the devastation of World War II. 

Sounds like it has a lot of potential for a great dramatic score. Looking forward to it.

On 08/03/2022 at 8:41 PM, Edmilson said:

Marie-Laure, a teenager who is blind

Hillary Hahn is packing her bags for L.A. as we speak.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

On another JNH note, (didnt see a thread for it yet) I inquired if his upcoming score for “All the light we cannot see” would be similar to his work on  “A Hidden Life” via Instagram and he commented “Very Insightful” 😃haha. So I’ll be looking forward to that one next year!

D1B88584-2ACB-4F43-981E-FF46B219C188.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Michael Grigorowitsch said:

"All The Light" - Has anyone any information about this project?

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/12334-james-newton-howard-thread/&do=findComment&comment=1870102

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm disappointed that this will be a series and not a movie, because it means we won't get to hear a huge part of the score.

Imagine this show will have 8 episodes and JNH recorded an average of 40 minutes of music per episode. That means the entire show has 320 minutes (or 5 hours 20 minutes) of music.

But because greedy Netflix will only release a single album of highlights which, because of the sacred listening experience who must be respected at all costs no matter what, will only have 75 minutes of music.

That means there will be 245 minutes of score (including major highlights and thematic developments) that won't be released because of the 75 minute rule, who must be enforced.

Unless, of course, they pull a Mandalorian S1/Rings of Power. But the odds of that happening is the same as Quantumania receiving Oscar nominations for Best Picture and Best Screenplay next year.

19 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

But because greedy Netflix will only release a single album of highlights which, because of the sacred listening experience who must be respected at all costs no matter what, will only have 75 minutes of music.

Surely it's down to the composer and what they want.

When Steven Price did Our Planet for them, he did a 2-CD set, and a digital album for each episode, i.e. the whole thing. Given that Fenton has just done full scores for Wild Isles, the idea of complete (or near to) full episode albums is spreading! (just wish there were a cheaper way to buy them)

19 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Surely it's down to the composer and what they want.

When Steven Price did Our Planet for them, he did a 2-CD set, and a digital album for each episode, i.e. the whole thing. Given that Fenton has just done full scores for Wild Isles, the idea of complete (or near to) full episode albums is spreading! (just wish there were a cheaper way to buy them)

I hope you're correct and JNH decides to release as much music as be can, supported by Netflix.

This is my most antecipated score of the year (alongside Williams' Indy 5), and the thought that JNH's thematic development and major cues might be reduced to just a single album of highlights is very sad.

8 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Blimey. Had to do a double take and  check that, yes, it’s set in St Malo which is more or less due south of where I live in Guernsey and a place I know very well. The walled city really is gorgeous and amazing it survived/got rebuilt so authentically after WW2 all things considered.

Not sure I’d have gone for what I think is the same (or very similar) version of Clair de Lune that they used in the Godzilla: KotM trailer. The scope for intertextual conflict is… significant.

Still could indeed be excellent and provide JNH with some rich inspiration. Plus I’ll watch anything with Hugh Laurie not doing his marginally unconvincing American accent.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

All The Light We Cannot See Tracklist:

1. Main Title (1:23)
2. August 1944 (1:16)
3. Falling Leaflets (0:57)
4. Werner Listens (1:22)
5. Secrets (2:19)
6. Depart Immediately (1:22)
7. Model City (3:23)
8. To the Museum (0:52)
9. A Day at the Museum (3:29)
10. Wire (1:36)
11. Messages in Code (1:53)
12. A Small Miracle (0:53)
13. A Great Professor (1:04)
14. Top of My Class (1:09)
15. Reason to Hope (0:51)
16. Spilled Milk (4:49)
17. Ten Seconds (1:57)
18. Retrieving the Jewels (3:06)
19. Father’s Fault (1:01)
20. Burning Carousel (0:30)
21. Illegal Broadcast (3:31)
22. Broken Radio (2:58)
23. Fix It or Die (2:22)
24. No Trains Left (1:42)
25. Burden (1:26)
26. A Promise (2:46)
27. Traditional Welcome (2:49)
28. Finding 1310 (1:52)
29. Time to Meet (1:17)
30. Take the Weapon (2:00)
31. Thought Destroys Action (2:28)
32. Genius Is a Gift (1:45)
33. You Are the Professor (2:13)
34. Catching Breath (1:13)
35. Model Building (2:24)
36. The Committee (2:17)
37. Speak to Me (2:25)
38. Fearless (2:45)
39. No Escape (1:28)
40. No Time for Games (2:27)
41. Ask Me Again (2:43)
42. I Need Your Strength (2:18)
43. I Am Not Alone (1:18)
44. Not Today (1:39)
45. Uncle Etienne Sent Me (1:18)
46. Sound Warnings (1:05)
47. The Most Important Light (2:19)
48. Liberation (4:03)
49. Sea of Flames (2:16)
50. Saint-Malo (2:31)
51. Model City Duet – James Newton Howard & James Ehnes (2:13)
52. Clair de Lune – Alison Procter (4:40)

I have high hopes for this. Mostly unwarranted possibly, given the disappointment of Willow, but JNH's recent foray into TV/streaming still excites me.

His other WWII projects, Defiance and A Hidden Life, all have great moments.

According to Film Music Reporter, the album drops on Thursday November 2. And it'll have 107 minutes of music (1 hour 47 minutes 43 seconds), or 103 minutes (1 hour 43 minutes 03 seconds) of JNH material if we exclude the Clair de Lune according to Excel :P.

I can't wait... Even though I hope it won't be a reprise of Defiance and A Hidden Life. 

17 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Listened to the first couple of samples and am really impressed! I heard solo violin in one cue which is also promising! 

The main theme sounds a bit like Zimmer’s great the Pacific Theme but will be interesting to hear the full piece! Really looking forward to this score! I might watch the show as well because the trailer looked good.

Wow! Judging by the samples, this sounds like the JNH score I've been waiting all my life to hear! Echoes of The Postman, Batman Begins and Defiance and all the emotional string writing only he can do. 

And at 1h43 minutes of music, I'm hopeful all the major highlights are in there.

Speaking of which, the album does have a few tracks credited to both JNH and Parsons. I'm happy he has been crediting his assistants as of late.

Certainly goes back to his Hidden Life / Defiance sort of sound, which is both good and bad (for me) as I don't tend to like his darker, violin-led dramatic side (like the latter) so much. However, the main theme is very pleasant and the piano/string bits are nice.

A HIDDEN LIFE and DEFIANCE are major sell-ins for me; that's the type of Howard I adore. But I believe it when I hear it (which is hopefully soon)!

The main theme from Hidden Life is one of the most beautiful pieces JNH has ever written IMO so I can’t wait to hear him write more music for solo violin for this type of project! I had hoped JNH would finally win his Oscar for that score but sadly he was disqualified.

Watched the first EP, great music at the beginning and good music at the end but the music in between is just atmospheric piano music with very little personality. The main title is great. Nothing much to remember and no real theme’s except for one piece that rarely occurred. It’s not Rings Of Power.

SCORE PRODUCED BY SCORE:MICHAEL DEAN PARSONS

CO-PRODUCED BY:JAMES NEWTON HOWARD

MUSIC EDITOR:STEVE DURKEE

ORCHESTRATIONS:

PETE ANTHONY

JEFF ATMAJIAN

JON KULL

PHILIP KLEIN

SCORE RECORDED AND MIXED BY:NICK WOLLAGE

ORCHESTRA AND ADULT CHOIR CONDUCTED BY:GAVIN GREENAWAY

SOLO VIOLIN:JAMES EHNES

SOLO PIANO:ALISON PROCTER

ORCHESTRA LEADER:THOMAS Bowes

21 hours ago, DangerMotif said:

Watched the first EP, great music at the beginning and good music at the end but the music in between is just atmospheric piano music with very little personality. The main title is great. Nothing much to remember and no real theme’s except for one piece that rarely occurred. It’s not Rings Of Power.

SCORE PRODUCED BY SCORE:MICHAEL DEAN PARSONS

CO-PRODUCED BY:JAMES NEWTON HOWARD

MUSIC EDITOR:STEVE DURKEE

ORCHESTRATIONS:

PETE ANTHONY

JEFF ATMAJIAN

JON KULL

PHILIP KLEIN

SCORE RECORDED AND MIXED BY:NICK WOLLAGE

ORCHESTRA AND ADULT CHOIR CONDUCTED BY:GAVIN GREENAWAY

SOLO VIOLIN:JAMES EHNES

SOLO PIANO:ALISON PROCTER

ORCHESTRA LEADER:THOMAS Bowes

The music in episode 2 is much better. The main title theme and Nazi theme are great. The Nazi theme opens up the first episode.

Listening now, and this isn't anywhere near either DEFIANCE or A HIDDEN LIFE in quality, interest or emotion. So that was an over-sell-in right there. Has some moderately nice passages, but there is a lot of 'in one ear, out the other'-type of static fluff. And of course it isn't helped by an excessive presentation that needs a LOT of whittling to work even as is. And as I'm all "whittled out" after my Grand Whittling Project recently, that would need to be down the line.

3 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

Judging scores immediately on first listen with no context or time to process is always going to make it less impressive than one you've had years with and context.

At this point, I'm pretty adept at judging the basics of a score after the first listen. A HIDDEN LIFE, which was just four years ago, hit me with its brilliance upon first listen. The socalled 'beautiful' parts of this new score, however, are far too transparent, IMO, and a lot of the other tracks "noodle around" aimlessly. There is a shallowness about this that is hard to explain, but that sets it apart from things like A HIDDEN LIFE or DEFIANCE, that have far more depth, nuance and sincerity.

But as I said, the sheer volume of music pisses me off, and is no doubt responsible for 50% of the value judgement. I'll return to it at a later date, whittle it down to 30-40 minutes and re-assess. He's among my top 10 film composers of all time, so I owe him that.

5 minutes ago, Thor said:

At this point, I'm pretty adept at judging the basics of a score after the first listen. A HIDDEN LIFE, which was just four years ago, hit me with its brilliance upon first listen.

Fair enough. 

I haven't heard the score yet. Waiting for full pieces. Only listened to the main title sample. I want to hear the full pieces first.

7 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Define "cute".

Cute is not the word I think of whole listening to this

A lot of quiet/sweet piano and strings but nothing that really sticks out besides 1-2 moments per episode. Compared to a show like Rings Of Power where the score is in your face all show.