96th Academy Awards (2024 Oscars for 2023 films)

Jay

I don’t think he would miss a good luncheon with his pal Steven and lots of sexy ladies.  

As far as I've ever been able to tell, Williams hasn't gone to that one in years. I've always looked for him and he ain't there. The only pre-Oscar thing that I think he usually goes to is the Society of Composers & Lyricists lunch so I guess that's become his party of choice. 

The most recent of the official Oscar luncheons I could spot him in was the 2006 photo when he was nominated for Memoirs of a Geisha and Munich. Standing behind Noah Baumbach and sworn enemy Gustavo Santaolalla.

1da309713ebb22967aeb04f4cae26c96c2-78th-2005-1-color.2x.rhorizontal.w900~3.jpg

2 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

As far as I've ever been able to tell, Williams hasn't gone to that one in years. I've always looked for him and he ain't there. The only pre-Oscar thing that I think he usually goes to is the Society of Composers & Lyricists lunch so I guess that's become his party of choice. 

The most recent of the official Oscar luncheons I could spot him in was the 2006 photo when he was nominated for Memoirs of a Geisha and Munich. Standing behind Noah Baumbach and sworn enemy Gustavo Santaolalla.

1da309713ebb22967aeb04f4cae26c96c2-78th-2005-1-color.2x.rhorizontal.w900~3.jpg

Who is next to gustavo?

6 hours ago, Faleel said:

Who is next to gustavo?

Could be Alberto Iglesias. Not sure.

8 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

sworn enemy Gustavo Santaolalla.

It still hurts. That’s when I stopped watching the Oscars.

WINNER

BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN

Gustavo Santaolalla

NOMINEES

THE CONSTANT GARDENER

Alberto Iglesias

MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA

John Williams

MUNICH

John Williams

PRIDE & PREJUDICE

Dario Marianelli

No surprise this evening - Oppenheimer gets the Bafta for best score. (and other stuff)

But having listened to the full album a few times since my last comment on that score, I say well done to Goransson in advance for his oscar.

BAFTA Film Awards: ‘Oppenheimer’ Wins Seven Honors, ‘Poor Things’ Gets Five
The ceremony in London, hosted by Scottish actor David Tennant, also honored 'The Zone of Interest' and other films, while 'Barbie,' 'Killers of the Flower Moon' and 'Maestro' were shut out.

BEST FILM

• ANATOMY OF A FALL Marie-Ange Luciani, David Thion
  • THE HOLDOVERS Mark Johnson
  • KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON Dan Friedkin, Daniel Lupi, Martin Scorsese, Bradley Thomas
  • OPPENHEIMER Christopher Nolan, Charles Roven, Emma Thomas
  • POOR THINGS Ed Guiney, Yorgos Lanthimos, Andrew Lowe, Emma Stone

LEADING ACTRESS

• FANTASIA BARRINO The Color Purple
  • SANDRA HÜLLER Anatomy of a Fall
  • CAREY MULLIGAN Maestro
  • VIVIAN OPARAH Rye Lane
  • MARGOT ROBBIE Barbie
  • EMMA STONE Poor Things

LEADING ACTOR

• BRADLEY COOPER Maestro
  • COLMAN DOMINGO Rustin
  • PAUL GIAMATTI The Holdovers
  • BARRY KEOGHAN Saltburn
  • CILLIAN MURPHY Oppenheimer
  • TEO YOO Past Lives

EE RISING STAR AWARD (voted for by the public)

• PHOEBE DYNEVOR
  • AYO EDEBIRI
  • JACOB ELORDI
  • MIA MCKENNA-BRUCE
  • SOPHIE WILDE

DIRECTOR

• ALL OF US STRANGERS Andrew Haigh
  • ANATOMY OF A FALL Justine Triet
  • THE HOLDOVERS Alexander Payne
  • MAESTRO Bradley Cooper
  • OPPENHEIMER Christopher Nolan
  • THE ZONE OF INTEREST Jonathan Glazer

MAKE UP & HAIR

• KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON Kay Georgiou, Thomas Nellen
  • MAESTRO Sian Grigg, Kay Georgiou, Kazu Hiro, Lori McCoy-Bell
  • NAPOLEON Jana Carboni, Francesco Pegoretti, Satinder Chumber, Julia Vernon
  • OPPENHEIMER Luisa Abel, Jaime Leigh McIntosh, Jason Hamer, Ahou Mofid
  • POOR THINGS Nadia Stacey, Mark Coulier, Josh Weston

COSTUME DESIGN

• BARBIE Jacqueline Durran
  • KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON Jacqueline West
  • NAPOLEON Dave Crossman, Janty Yates
  • OPPENHEIMER Ellen Mirojnick
  • POOR THINGS Holly Waddington

OUTSTANDING BRITISH FILM

• ALL OF US STRANGERS Andrew Haigh, Graham Broadbent, Pete Czernin, Sarah Harvey
  • HOW TO HAVE SEX Molly Manning Walker, Emily Leo, Ivana MacKinnon, Konstantinos Kontovrakis
  • NAPOLEON Ridley Scott, Mark Huffam, Kevin J. Walsh, David Scarpa
  • THE OLD OAK Ken Loach, Rebecca O’Brien, Paul Laverty
  • POOR THINGS Yorgos Lanthimos, Ed Guiney, Andrew Lowe, Emma Stone, Tony McNamara
  • RYE LANE Raine Allen-Miller, Yvonne Isimeme Ibazebo, Damian Jones, Nathan Bryon, Tom Melia
  • SALTBURN Emerald Fennell, Josey McNamara, Margot Robbie
  • SCRAPPER Charlotte Regan, Theo Barrowclough
  • WONKA Paul King, Alexandra Derbyshire, David Heyman, Simon Farnaby
  • THE ZONE OF INTEREST Jonathan Glazer, James Wilson, Ewa Puszczyńska

BRITISH SHORT ANIMATION

• CRAB DAY Ross Stringer, Bartosz Stanislawek, Aleksandra Sykulak
  • VISIBLE MENDING Samantha Moore, Tilley Bancroft
  • WILD SUMMON Karni Arieli, Saul Freed, Jay Woolley

BRITISH SHORT FILM

• FESTIVAL OF SLAPS Abdou Cissé, Cheri Darbon, George Telfer
  • GORKA Joe Weiland, Alex Jefferson
  • JELLYFISH AND LOBSTER Yasmin Afifi, Elizabeth Rufai
  • SUCH A LOVELY DAY Simon Woods, Polly Stokes, Emma Norton, Kate Phibbs
  • YELLOW Elham Ehsas, Dina Mousawi, Azeem Bhati, Yiannis Manolopoulos

PRODUCTION DESIGN

• BARBIE Sarah Greenwood, Katie Spencer
  • KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON Jack Fisk, Adam Willis
  • OPPENHEIMER Ruth De Jong, Claire Kaufman
  • POOR THINGS Shona Heath, James Price, Zsuzsa Mihalek
  • THE ZONE OF INTEREST Chris Oddy, Joanna Maria Kuś, Katarzyna Sikora

SOUND

• FERRARI Angelo Bonanni, Tony Lamberti, Andy Nelson, Lee Orloff, Bernard Weiser
  • MAESTRO Richard King, Steve Morrow, Tom Ozanich, Jason Ruder, Dean Zupancic
  • MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE — DEAD RECKONING PART ONE Chris Burdon, James H. Mather, Chris Munro, Mark Taylor
  • OPPENHEIMER Willie Burton, Richard King, Kevin O’Connell, Gary A. Rizzo
  • THE ZONE OF INTEREST Johnnie Burn, Tarn Willers

ORIGINAL SCORE

• KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON Robbie Robertson
  • OPPENHEIMER Ludwig Göransson
  • POOR THINGS Jerskin Fendrix
  • SALTBURN Anthony Willis
  • SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE Daniel Pemberton

DOCUMENTARY

• 20 DAYS IN MARIUPOL Mstyslav Chernov, Raney Aronson Rath
  • AMERICAN SYMPHONY Matthew Heineman, Lauren Domino, Joedan Okun
  • BEYOND UTOPIA Madeleine Gavin, Rachel Cohen, Jana Edelbaum
  • STILL: A MICHAEL J. FOX MOVIE Davis Guggenheim, Jonathan King, Annetta Marion
  • WHAM! Chris Smith

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

• ALL OF US STRANGERS Andrew Haigh
  • AMERICAN FICTION Cord Jefferson
  • OPPENHEIMER Christopher Nolan
  • POOR THINGS Tony McNamara

SUPPORTING ACTRESS

• EMILY BLUNT Oppenheimer
  • DANIELLE BROOKS The Color Purple
  • CLAIRE FOY All of Us Strangers
  • SANDRA HÜLLER The Zone of Interest
  • ROSAMUND PIKE Saltburn
  • DA’VINE JOY RANDOLPH The Holdovers

SUPPORTING ACTOR

• ROBERT DE NIRO Killers of the Flower Moon
  • ROBERT DOWNEY JR. Oppenheimer
  • JACOB ELORDI Saltburn
  • RYAN GOSLING Barbie
  • PAUL MESCAL All of Us Strangers
  • DOMINIC SESSA The Holdovers

CINEMATOGRAPHY

• KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON Rodrigo Prieto
  • MAESTRO Matthew Libatique
  • OPPENHEIMER Hoyte van Hoytema
  • POOR THINGS Robbie Ryan
  • THE ZONE OF INTEREST Lukasz Zal

EDITING

• ANATOMY OF A FALL Laurent Sénéchal
  • KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON Thelma Schoonmaker
  • OPPENHEIMER Jennifer Lame
  • POOR THINGS Yorgos Mavropsaridis
  • THE ZONE OF INTEREST Paul Watts

CASTING

• ALL OF US STRANGERS Kahleen Crawford
  • ANATOMY OF A FALL Cynthia Arra
  • THE HOLDOVERS Susan Shopmaker
  • HOW TO HAVE SEX Isabella Odoffin
  • KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON Ellen Lewis, Rene Haynes

FILM NOT IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE

• 20 DAYS IN MARIUPOL Mstyslav Chernov, Raney Aronson Rath
  • ANATOMY OF A FALL Justine Triet, Marie-Ange Luciani, David Thion
  • PAST LIVES Celine Song, David Hinojosa, Pamela Koffler, Christine Vachon
  • SOCIETY OF THE SNOW J.A. Bayona, Belen Atienza

OUTSTANDING DEBUT BY A BRITISH WRITER, DIRECTOR OR PRODUCER

• BLUE BAG LIFE Lisa Selby (Director), Rebecca Lloyd-Evans (Director, Producer), Alex Fry (Producer)
  • BOBI WINE: THE PEOPLE’S PRESIDENT Christopher Sharp (Director) [also directed Moses Bwayo]
  • EARTH MAMA Savanah Leaf (Writer, Director, Producer), Shirley O’Connor (Producer), Medb Riordan (Producer)
  • HOW TO HAVE SEX Molly Manning Walker (Writer, Director)
  • IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE? Ella Glendining (Director)

ANIMATED FILM

• THE BOY AND THE HERON Hayao Miyazaki, Toshio Suzuki
  • CHICKEN RUN: DAWN OF THE NUGGET Sam Fell, Leyla Hobart, Steve Pegram
  • ELEMENTAL Peter Sohn, Denise Ream
  • SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE Joaquim Dos Santos, Kemp Powers, Justin K. Thompson, Avi Arad, Phil Lord, Christopher Miller, Amy Pascal, Christina Steinberg

SPECIAL VISUAL EFFECTS

• THE CREATOR Jonathan Bullock, Charmaine Chan, Ian Comley, Jay Cooper
  • GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3 Theo Bialek, Stephane Ceretti, Alexis Wajsbrot, Guy Williams
  • MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE — DEAD RECKONING PART ONE Neil Corbould, Simone Coco, Jeff Sutherland, Alex Wuttke
  • NAPOLEON Henry Badgett, Neil Corbould, Charley Henley, Luc-Ewen Martin-Fenouillet
  • POOR THINGS Simon Hughes

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

• ANATOMY OF A FALL Justine Triet, Arthur Harari
  • BARBIE Greta Gerwig, Noah Baumbach
  • THE HOLDOVERS David Hemingson
  • MAESTRO Bradley Cooper, Josh Singer
  • PAST LIVES Celine Song

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/bafta-film-awards-winners-list-2024-1235824589/

• 2 weeks later...

All the songs that will be performed on the ceremony:

Jon Batiste will perform his song It Never Went Away (co-written with Dan Wilson) from the Netflix documentary American Symphony, Becky G will perform the Diane Warren-penned The Fire Inside from Eva Longoria’s Flamin’ Hot, Billie Eilish & Finneas O’Connell will perform their hit song What Was I Made For from Greta Gerwig’s Barbie, Ryan Gosling & Mark Ronson will perform I’m Just Ken from Barbie and Scott George and the Osage Singers will perform Wahzhazhe (A Song For My People) from Martin Scorsese’s Killers of the Flowe Moon. The 96th Oscars will be held on on March 10 2024, at the Dolby Theatre at Ovation Hollywood.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2024/02/28/jon-batiste-becky-g-billie-eilish-ryan-gosling-mark-ronson-others-to-perform-nominated-songs-at-academy-awards/

So how is everybody doing with catching on on watching the nominated movies?

I've currently only seen:

1. Oppenheimer
  2. Barbie
  3. May December
  4. Elemental
  5. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Really sad showing from me!

The movies I REALLY want to see but just haven't found a chance yet are:

1. Poor Things
  2. Killers of the Flower Moon
  3. American Fiction
  4. Anatomy of a Fall
  5. The Holdovers
  6. The Creator
  7. Society of the Snow
  8. Nimona
  9. Spider-man Across The Spider-verse
  10. The Boy And The Heron

The ones I sort of want to see, also sort of feel like homework are:

1. Maestro
  2. The Zone of Interest
  3. Napoleon
  4. Mission Impossible 7
  5. Nyad
  6. Past Lives
  7. Rustin
  8. The Color Purple
  9. Godzilla Minus One
  10. Guardians of the Galaxy 3

I've seen 10 of those. I don't have a goal to see all these films before the Oscars, necessarily, but some of them have been on my wish/watch list since they premiered anyway. MAY DECEMBER, POOR THINGS, THE ZONE OF INTEREST, PAST LIVES, THE BOY AND THE HERON and GODZILLA MINUS ONE, in particular. I'll get them to them eventually.

May December is easy to watch - it's on Netflix

I've seen all nominated films (most on release), apart from most of the shorts & documentaries.

Last one was The Zone Of Interest which I saw on sunday.

And @Jay I get the "homework" statement. I've had it with a few different films, but sometimes it does feel like it.

So which film do you hope wins Best Picture?  And which Acting nominees did you like the best?

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

May December is easy to watch - it's on Netflix

Alas not over here.

Oh, wow!  Wikipedia says Netflix is only the distributor in the US and Canada, and that it's distributed by a company called "Rocket Science" elsewhere.  Never even heard of them!

23 minutes ago, Jay said:
  • Nimona
  • Spider-man Across The Spider-verse
  •  

Didn't like Nimona but Spiderverse was pretty good, even though a bit too eager to impress. It kinda gave me some Matrix Reloaded vibes (disclaimer: I like Matrix Reloaded).

24 minutes ago, Jay said:
  • Mission Impossible 7
  •  

It's okay, but the amazing first hour (up until the aiport sequence) is much better than what follows next.

Personal choices

Picture:

Oppenheimer or American Fiction

Director

Christopher Nolan

Leading Actor/Actress

Cillian Murphy & Emma Stone or Lily Gladstone

Supporting Actor/Actress

Robert Downey Jr. & Da'Vine Joy Randolph or Emily Blunt

I actively disliked Killers Of The Flower Moon and I feel the only nomination it deserves is Lily Gladstone, altough I thought she would be in Supporting, but o well.

Emma Stone's performance is really good, but I feel that she won wrongly for La La Land and I'm not sure that she should win again. (Kinda the same feeling I had with Frances MacDormand when she won 3 years apart, of which I thought there were better performances in both years).

Paul Giamatti is good, but he doesn't really do anything new. Cillian Murpht truly blew me away in Oppenheimer and that film wouldn't work without his performance.

RDJ is both really good in Oppenheimer and it's sort of a career award (which I think he deserves).

Da'Vine Joy Randolph is really good in The Holdovers, giving a very nuanced performance.

And I just really love Emily Blunt, so it would be fantastic if she'd won.

Hmmm did Emily Blunt do anything special in Oppenheimer?  I've seen the movie but I don't remember anything about her acting in it.  I remember Florence Pugh more

RDJ was indeed great in that movie!

I need to see the film again.  It was a lot to take in at the cinema!

21 minutes ago, Jay said:

I need to see the film again.  It was a lot to take in at the cinema!

Yeah it was. First time I saw it, I was floored and exhausted.

Runner-up for me after Oppenheimer would be The Holdovers, which was fantastic. A real return to form for Payne, and Giammati was simply excellent. I think I'll need to watch this again next.

The only other best pic nominees I saw were Past Lives (which I quite liked) and Killers of the Flower Moon (which was...OK).

With Poor Things coming to Hulu on Thursday, I'm hopeful we'll watch it before Sunday night.  Not sure if I'll have a chance to see any others

Still bummed about Desplat not getting nominated for his Boys in the Boat score

I’ve seen Barbie, Nimona, Spider-verse, and Guardians.  Stuck with the kid movies on account of my kid.  I thought they were all pretty good though.

I find myself in the rare (for me) position of having seen all of the Best Picture nominees before the ceremony. If it were up to me I think the winner would be Ceylan’s About Dry Grasses, but it’s not nominated. Despite that, the actual line-up is perhaps the best I can recall*, with four or five really great contenders (including the likely winner).

*Edit: Best I can recall in recent years, that is. I wouldn’t say it’s at 1975’s level.

So what do you hope wins best picture out of the actual nominees?

And what about the actings awards for the actual nominees?

My choice for the best of the nominees would be between Poor ThingsThe Zone of Interest, Oppenheimer and Killers of the Flower Moon. Hard to narrow it down further than that, especially having seen the first two only once so far, whereas I’ve watched Oppenheimer at least half a dozen times. And if Anatomy of a Fall were to win it would also be one of the Academy’s rare reasonable picks. But, given that Oppenheimer is going to win, I’d say it will be the best Best Picture in the last twenty years. I hope Barbie wins.

I haven’t thought much about the actors but, as much as I like Paul Giamatti, I feel that he kind of Giamattied his way through The Holdovers while Cillian Murphy Oppenheimered his way through Oppenheimer, so I’d give the award to Murphy. From the female actors I’m inclined to pick Carey Mulligan, but it’s a tough choice between her, Emma Stone and Sandra Huller. (I haven’t seen Rustin or Nyad.)

8 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

I just watched Oppenheimer again a few days ago. I liked it even better the second time. Simply a phenomenal film, and I'm starting to think it may be Nolan's best work. Really a remarkable achievement in movie making.

IMO it was the best film of the year, and deserves to win Best Picture/Director (and will).

Same here, I liked it in the cinema but loved it this second time now that I knew what it was doing/"where it was going", the intercutting works beautifully, all the pieces strengthening each other.

13 hours ago, Jay said:

With Poor Things coming to Hulu on Thursday, I'm hopeful we'll watch it before Sunday night.

It's certainly the optimal one from your list when brilliance, enjoyablity and Oscars relevance are combined.

I almost forgot: last February 26th was the 7th birthday of the funniest and cringiest moment in the history of American TV.

"We lost by the way"

It was also the last year where I made an effort to see at least all the best picture nominees. Arrival and Hell or High Water were amazing, but the fact that I had to sit through boring Oscar-bait crap like Fences and Lion (which I forgot I had seen it until today) made me much less motivated to watch every movie in the years that followed.

The Holdovers was my personal favorite of the nominees, just thoroughly enjoyed it. Killers of the Flower Moon and Oppenheimer, I feel sort of similarly about both, very impressive but a lot to deal with lol. I've seen KotFM twice, would like to see Oppy again. I have no problem with it sweeping. 

Past Lives was very sweet and sad, Barbie was a good time. I actually liked American Fiction and Maestro, even though I get why they've been easy to make fun of, especially the latter, but idk, I kinda loved a lot of it. Felt a little detached from Anatomy of a Fall but Sandra Huller and that dog were amazing.

Zone of Interest, I felt like it would have made a more compelling short film in a way...I'm not actually sure I got more out of it as a sensory experience than just from reading and imagining the concept. Powerful ending, though. Poor Things, Lanthimos just isn't really my cup of tea, since Dogtooth I've always found his whole thing more distracting than enthralling but I get it. It is pretty funny and looks cool and everything. Honestly I'm mostly just sick of watching animals absolutely eat shit in his movies!

Despite my modern distaste for the Oscars, I realised that as the US has gone forward an hour (a couple of weeks before us) and they're starting it earlier and it's no longer under Sky's captivity (now on a free to air channel) so I might actually see what the first bit is like, and maybe they'll even do best score really early...

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

now on a free to air channel

I think this is the first time since at least 2004 that I’ve seen any of the ceremony live. Usually I learn the winners from the JWFan thread. I might revert to that method shortly...

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Who else is watching live?

Me, for the time being.

I didn't end up seeing any more of the nominated movies. Oh well .

Did see most of Wonka this afternoon though. Weird movie!

This is a very long speech for an early award!

1 minute ago, Glóin the Dark said:

In a good way?

Not really. It's also more of a kids movie than I realized

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Not really. It's also more of a kids movie than I realized

I was really disappointed by how ironic it had to be about itself (inserting "why are we dancing??!" into the songs and a lot of "that happened" type lines.  

I’m doing my own parallel awards for some categories.

The Glóscar for Best Actress in a Supporting Role goes to: Merve Dizdar  for About Dry Grasses.

(Actually I just wanted to coin the term  Glóscar.)

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's also more of a kids movie

That was my impression.

Here HBO Max is one of the most expensive streamers and it is airing this year's ceremony. But due to a technical error they couldn't air one of the categories, the animated short one, so we had to endure some influencers talking nonsense about Spider-Verse or whatever (I didn't really pay attention) for about 10 minutes. Sigh...

It's back now. Yay...