First Impressions: The SCORES of 2024

Jay

So what 2024 scores are people looking forward to?

For me all I can think of is:

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth - Just absolutely cannot WAIT for this, the first is one of my favorite scores for any media

Christopher Larkin - Hollow Knight: Silksong (I CANNOT believe its been over 4 years now since the first 2 tracks were released)

Lena Raine - Earthblade (hopefully the true followup to Celeste I've been waiting for)

Danny Elfman - Beetlejuice 2 (hopefully he finds fun ways to riff on this 35 year old material!)

Inside Out 2 - I wish we knew if Giacchino was scoring it or not, but hopefully if he's not someone elses uses his themes in a cool way with new material

Bear McCreary - The Rings of Power Season 2 - loved the first!

And of course John Powell's two animated scores Thelma The Unicorn and That Christmas as well as Batu Sener's Harold and the Purple Crayon

What 2024 scores are YOU looking forward to?

Both Powell's.... of course.

Looking forward to Jeymes Samuel's score to The Book Of Clarence next week. Loved his score to The Harder They Fall.

Curious what Balfe does with Argyle.

Dune Part Two from Zimmer

Inside Out 2

John Debney's Horizon: An American Saga

And I have a soft spot for the Kung Fu Panda scores & films, so that's on there.

There are also loads of films without a composer yet:

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire

IF

Twisters

Alien: Romulus

Venom 3

Red One

Should be some fun ones in there

16 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Dune Part Two from Zimmer

Alien: Romulus

I echo these. Other than that, I haven't had the time to orient myself much on what 2024 will offer, neither films nor the scores that will accompany them. I'm still deep into 2023 scores at the moment. Also, I'm not terribly good at keeping up to date on film news in the first place; I tend to take things as they come.

This will be a huge year for John Powell fans. Not only one but two animated scores from him. The last time that happened was (IIRC) in 2014 with Rio 2 and HTTYD 2, right? Also, there's the HTTYD 3 expansion and the Harold score from Batu. 

As for the rest of the year, I dunno... Not a single John Williams score (at least for now ;)). 

Have they announced JNH in anything coming out this year? Or on the years after that?

I am unaware of any confirmed 2024 projects for James Newton Howard, Michael Giachcino, Alexandre Desplat, or Howard Shore

Definitly the two Powell's scores, the one from Sener and McCreary's Rings of Power: Season 2

I'm lookng forward Dune part Two because even though the first one isn't his best effort there is so much terrific cues in it

Gladiator 2 might be a really good surprise if HGW feels inspired

Looking forward to Holkenborg's GxK: New Empire as I liked the first score and to Kung Fu Panda 4 as the previous had fun scores

Among the movie that don't have an official composer I'm looking forward to Inside Out 2 (if Giacchino returns) as well as Ghostbusters (if Rob Simonsen is back)

As a fan of Alien, Romulus deserves all my attention

And finally I'm wondering if Beck will score the next Deadpool, he recently work on Free Guy with Shawn Levy and his a frequent Marvel composer who always wrote fun score within the MCU

11 minutes ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

Gladiator 2 might be a really good surprise if HGW feels inspired

Ah yes, that one too, of course.

24 minutes ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

And finally I'm wondering if Beck will score the next Deadpool, he recently work on Free Guy with Shawn Levy and his a frequent Marvel composer who always wrote fun score within the MCU

Rob Simonsen is scoring this. Was announced in July 23

Romulus is directed by Fede Alvarez, who worked with Roque Baños on all of his movies. So I think it's safe to assume they will work together on Alien as well.

Baños wrote a good score for Alvarez's Evil Dead 2013, filled with demonic choirs and such. But I imagine Romulus will be more of the experimental kind, similar to Jed Kurzel's Covenant.

• 4 weeks later...

Meh.

There's a few cues that are more interesting but they're all way to short. And I thought the Main Title was a bit annoying to be honest.

cover.jpg

Top of the list: RoP season 2.

Otherwise I'm looking forward to hearing Alien, Gladiator 2, Dune pt. 2 and Powell's animation stuff.

In terms of speciality releases, just three weeks until HTTYD 3 deluxe and of course who knows what they might pair it with.

The scores I'm looking forward the most this year are:

-Zimmer's Dune Part Two and Kung Fu Panda 4

-Bear McCreary's score for RoP Season 2, and hopefully the release of Outlander S7

-Christopher Larkin's score to Silksong if the game is finally released this year (at this point, I'm keeping my hopes lowered though)

-Holkenborg's Furiosa, as I feel his Mad Max score was great!

-Whatever either James Newton Howard or John Powell do this year

-HGW has been hit or miss these last couple of years, but I think he has a chance to shine again with Gladiator 2

-There's always a couple of anime soundtracks that come out of nowhere and really surprise me each year. I'm already looking forward to Frieren's full release, and Go Shiina's score for the new season of Demon Slayer, but I'm sure more will come up during the year!

Also, I already listened to a score this year that caught my ear!

Alberto Iglesias' score is elegant, melodic and vibrant, with the particular highlight being the intricate writing for piano, strings and woodwinds that he showcases in some tracks. The album is a bit too long and some tracks tend to fall a bit more under the atmospheric style, but whenever the main theme and the exquisite orchestrations are giving space to shine, it's where the score works best!

31 minutes ago, Knight of Ren said:

The scores I'm looking forward the most this year are:

-Zimmer's Dune Part Two and Kung Fu Panda 4

-Bear McCreary's score for RoP Season 2, and hopefully the release of Outlander S7

-Holkenborg's Furiosa, as I feel his Mad Max score was great!

Yeah, the 2 Zimmer scores are high up.on my list as well.

And I'm also hoping for Outlander S7 full release.

And Holkenborg's Sonic 3 should also be fun.

And Brian Tyler's Abigail score could be really strong. His scores for the directors' previous films were great!

Ah, how could I forget Outlander S7! I guess he's very busy with all his projects and proably RoP but I'd love a return to the album per half season he did for S1.

Also, any further Yellowstone/1883 material from Tyler/Vivian. I've never seen the show so I don't keep an active mind of where they are in the show's lifecycle.

I already have seven fine 2024 scores on my shortlist, released in January. But rather than post the covers here, Now Playing-style, I think I'm going to post these in my column "Reviews-on-the-go". That will be pretty much my model for fresh discoveries of the year from now on, I think.

Hollow Knight is one of my favorite games, and has one of my favorite videogame scores ever! I've been waiting for Silksong for so long, but I don't know if it will come out this year or what. It's been almost 5 years since they announced it!

4 hours ago, Mr. Who said:

My most anticipated scores would be:

• House of the Dragon S2

Oh yes! Forgot about House of the Dragon. I'm looking forward to all of Djawadi's projects this year, but I have a special interest in this. Season 1 was such a great score!

3 minutes ago, Knight of Ren said:

Hollow Knight is one of my favorite games, and has one of my favorite videogame scores ever!

Same!

3 minutes ago, Knight of Ren said:

I've been waiting for Silksong for so long, but I don't know if it will come out this year or what. It's been almost 5 years since they announced it!

Right!? It's crazy. They had a playable demo in 2019.  WTF has happened since?  It's utterly bonkers.

@Jay @Knight of Ren love Hollow Knight too and it's my favorite metroidvania. I've never actually listened to the score on its own but I remember it being a huge contributor to the amazing atmosphere of the game. You guys made me want to go listen to it now! Might be time for a second playthrough sometime soon as well!

Yeah, Hollow Knight is such a great score! The samples are a bit noticeable at some points, but is remarkable how great everything sounds considering the low budget they had. The score works brilliantly within the game but also works great as a listening experience. I love Larkin's themes and I wonder if some of them will pop up in some form in Silksong!

This score was released today. I watched the movie a couple of months ago and I really enjoyed it, and I remember liking the score in context. It's quite atmospheric for the most part, but perfectly underscores the danish wastelands and the isolation portrayed in the movie, and as the score progresses, it becomes more orchestral and dramatic. The last couple of cues are actually quite beautiful and emotional. Romer is such an interesting composer which sadly doesn't work a lot, but I definitely recommend some of his work. Apart from this one, I also really enjoyed his scores for Luca and Wendy, if you're looking for some recommendations!

I don't mind the sampled nature of Hollow Knight's score, it perfectly fits the game.  And its nicely elevated with the live cello and female singer

I highly, highly recommend these two videos that explore the themes of the score - REALLY opened my eyes (ears?) to how clever the score actually is:

• 3 weeks later...

I have to say, this is pretty good after one listen.

It's funny, it has shades of both Zuckerman (also directly quoting themes) and Newton Howard.

The orchestral, choral and soloist parts are all outstanding imo.

I think Furukawa has mamaged to do his own thing with it while still being respectful of what has come before.

folder.jpg

5 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I have to say, this is pretty good after one listen.

It's funny, it has shades of both Zuckerman (also directly quoting themes) and Newton Howard.

The orchestral, choral and soloist parts are all outstanding imo.

I think Furukawa has mamaged to do his own thing with it while still being respectful of what has come before.

folder.jpg

Look forward to hearing this. I love his Planet Of Lana game score. 

DRIVE-AWAY DOLLS - Carter Burwell

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/drive-away-dolls-music-from-the-motion-picture/1731277127

Theremin! A fun selection of comically-exaggerated caper material! Heartening to know that decades later, Burwell's voices is still fresh and very much his own.

image.png

Just listened to the Avatar remake score after all the raves it got from film music fans on Facebook.

It's pretty good! May be a little "excessive" and some moments veer into trailer music territory, but otherwise this is a pretty great modern epic score. The JNH influence is very evident.

I wasn't aware of this composer, but he sure is pretty talented. 

Hans Zimmer - Dune Part Two (OST)

Well this didn't too much for me overall, but there were some parts that were pretty engaging.  Overall though, I realize that I need to watch the first film again, then see the second, then listen to the albums again, before I can make any kind of educated statements about these scores

I posted too soon. Expressed puzzlement over Edmilson's "AVATAR remake score" comment and wondered what the hell he was talking about, until I scrolled a centimeter up and realized he was talking about the other AVATAR. So useless post from me.

16 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

@Edmilson has done the impossible.

image.png

Lol, I didn't know that was possible. Anyway, I removed my two (!) reactions and reacted to it again, this time only a single Haha instead of two.

22 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Lol, I didn't know that was possible. Anyway, I removed my two (!) reactions and reacted to it again, this time only a single Haha instead of two.

I'd like three, please. 

On 07/01/2024 at 5:26 PM, Jay said:

I am unaware of any confirmed 2024 projects for James Newton Howard, Michael Giachcino, Alexandre Desplat, or Howard Shore

Howard Shore is scoring David Cronenberg's The Shrouds.

Michael Giacchino may be concentrating on pre-production of Them!

Alexandre Desplat scored the first three episodes HBO's The Regime (with Alex Heffes scoring the final three).

SPACEMAN - Max Richter

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/spaceman-original-motion-picture-soundtrack/1729872386

Based on the trailer for SPACEMAN (which seems like my kind of sci-fi), muted minimalism might suit this film just fine. But every time Hollywood employs Max Richter, I hope they'll seize on his gift for more outwardly expressive minimalism present in pieces like "On The Nature Of Daylight" and "November" that brought him so much attention. "Memory Is A Voyager" sticks out a bit in this album. I haven't seen a lot of Ricther-scored films (SHUTTER ISLAND and ARRIVAL don't count to me), so as of now AD ASTRA is still the closest I've come to loving a Richter score written exclusively for the given movie (and, as a lot of JWFan knows, even that isn't all Richter).

image.png