Steven Spielberg will be making a UFO movie based on an original idea with a David Koepp script

Andy

Night Skies, perhaps?

8 hours ago, Andy said:

“I want to keep learning and discovering and scaring the shit out of myself, and sometimes the shit out of you,” Spielberg added. “I gotta get back to some of those earlier scarier movies, but that’s another story for later on.”

Berlin 2023 Lifetime Achievement Speech

6 hours ago, Andy said:

Night Skies, perhaps?

Having given us probably the ultimate 'benevolent alien' movie in E.T. I'd certainly be interested in Spielberg bringing us one about the opposite sort.   

4 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Having given us probably the ultimate 'benevolent alien' movie in E.T. I'd certainly be interested in Spielberg bringing us one about the opposite sort.   

He did War of the Worlds - hard to get more malevolent than that.

6 minutes ago, mstrox said:

He did War of the Worlds - hard to get more malevolent than that.

Maybe this time round, they'll be resistant to Earth germs. EEP! 

Doesn't Spielberg check IMDb? Most of the movies Koepp has worked on end up being 6/10 movies. JP is one of the few exceptions. 

He wrote the shitty Mummy reboot starring Tom Cruise, Indy 4, the Dan Brown/Tom Cruise movies... lmao

Seems like his best scripts (Jurassic Park, M: I 1) are all in the past.

Hmmmm. This is the type of UFO story I can see later-day Spielberg telling...he's often spoken about how, when he made CE3K, that version of himself would have flown away on the Mothership, but later in life, as a husband and father, he said he wouldn't.  So I always thought it would be interesting to see a film about Roy Neary returning to Earth after decades away with the CE3K aliens (i.e. ET). I mean, the guy had a wife and kids and essentially abandoned them, and it would be interesting to see how he, and they'd, react to his homecoming and how he'd adjust to life on a completely unrecognizable Earth. Dreyfuss is probably too old for the part, but you could recast for a younger Roy Neary (proving Einstein right).

I think the reason Spielberg keeps returning to Koepp is that he's an efficient and quick writer -and they seem to get along quite well. I'm not sure Spielberg's had any other long-term relationship with a writer... Tony Kushner comes to mind, but that's been more sporadic and started in the mid-2000's or so.

I don't think Spielberg's looking for a presitigous writer with Koepp. Of course he's very prolific, so he could be considered prestigious in some other way; but I'm guessing that he's easy to work with, he writes fast and is someone Spielberg knows how he works.

All that said, the project sounds intriguing and potentially could be a lot of fun. Here's hoping Steven tries something in that scary vibe it was quoted above.