Will John Williams score Steven Spielberg's new UFO movie?

Jay

Will John Williams score Steven Spielberg's new UFO movie?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Will John Williams score Steven Spielberg's new UFO movie?

• Yes, I think Williams will score it
    • No, because I think someone else will score it
    • No, because I don't think it will actually get made

If Steven Spielberg directs it and John Williams is alive and well at 93+, I think it'll happen. I wouldn't begrudge him saying no but of course I hope he does it. I don't really wanna think about it anymore until it exists. 

Williams doesn't owe anyone another film score. If he wants and is able, he'll do it, perhaps with Ross' help. But no one should be surprised, shocked, betrayed or send hate mail to the composer who scores it, if Williams chooses not to.

We were fortunate to get DoD out of him as a largely original score but we shouldn't expect it from him.

3 hours ago, Gurkensalat said:

I would love another big Williams score, but when I look at the Indy 5 soundtrack, for which he had to resort to copying old works to fill in the blanks despite having lots of time due to the constant delay of release, I don't think that he has a big action wall to wall score in him any more. Once you get that old, the energy level just goes down and everything takes much more time.

Maybe it wouldn't have to be a wall to wall score. It probably needs fewer busy action sequences than Indy, too. And I'm sure Spielberg would accommodate Williams and plan for his scoring habits along with editing. Provided Williams is healthy and wants to do it, of course.

On 18/04/2024 at 2:43 AM, bollemanneke said:

No, because he said he was done with films, right? He's done enough, he needs to enjoy the time he has left.

Wrong; he never ever said that. And I agree he should enjoy the time he has left... fortunately for us he genuinely enjoys writing music for films (or at least, for Spielberg films).

Yavar

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/04/2024 at 6:26 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

Short Round (Tall Round? Mr. Round?)

You call him Long Round, Doll! 

---------------------------------

I would LOVE another sci-fi score in the same veins of CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND or E.T. 

If only...

I just want one more HUGE Spielberg-Williams sci-fi blockbuster like CEOTTK, E.T., MR, AI or WotW. 
I’m so sorry JW couldn’t do RPO, that could’ve been a great opportunity for him to return to sci-fi with Spielberg. Maybe now they can pull it off. I miss his 70s sound very much, but I guess we’ll never have that again as his style has evolved so much. And he doesn’t have Herbert Spencer, either. But an optimistic sci-fi with a hummable JW theme would be wonderful.