The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

If we were following “in universe” canon numbering then Jodie would have been the 14th anyway.

The numbering should refer to “the nth actor to be hired by the BBC as the flagship of this franchise.”  In which case Ncuti Gatwa is the 14th Doctor.

756C4813-9ADB-4CD0-B310-C5C8078C3D61.png

I didn't start renumbering the nuWhos when they introduced John Hurt. If everyone calls Ncuti 14th, or 12th, or Larry, I suppose I'll get used to. If they decide in the middle of his run that he's the 14th again then I'll stick with 15th.

So make up your mind now, people!

40 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Don't you start.  Moffat or not, we both know that doesn't count.

Where does Grant appear in Moffatt's tenture?

The point where I stopped caring even vaguely about who was which numbered Doctor was all that faff with John Hurt. The show takes far too much licence with storytelling, and one showrunner crapping over another's 'universe', for any conundrums like numbering the Doctors to make any sense.

On 17/12/2022 at 11:50 AM, Richard Penna said:

Where does Grant appear in Moffatt's tenture?

Grant played the Doctor in a Doctor Who comedy sketch written by Moffat for Children in Need 1998 or 99, somewhere around there.

Now separate from that, Grant also appeared as a the Great Intelligence, a baddie in a few Matt Smith episodes.

Good blend of old fuddy duddy Arthur Dent and more stylish modern Ncuti Gatwa - might be indicative of the portrayal too which has me excited

Also fits in quite well with the other RTD Doctors, almost like the natural evolution of what came before: image.png

I am neutral on the costume and Ncuti in general.  My instinct is that cool attractive fashionable people should not be the Doctor.  That said I'm open to what he and RTD might be cooking up.

31 minutes ago, Jay said:

Vertical video is never going to die is it

Why should it? In this case, it shows full body shots of the two actors, so it makes sense. You'd make the photos in portrait orientation, too. That tons of people make vertical videos of stuff that needs horizontal screen estate or for videos that are meant to be shown on devices with horizontal aspect ratios is a different matter. It's not vertical video's fault that most people abuse it.

12 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

Dear God I'm attracted to Ncuti, and that costume has only made it clearer.

Millie Gibson is also a stunner. Their chemistry in this short video is palpable, this is going to be a great TARDIS team

'Twas always thus. There's a back-in-the-day publicity shot in the new issue of Doctor Who Magazine of Louise Jameson as Leela (close up with her holding her knife between her teeth), and she looks so damn hot I nearly needed a lie-down in a darkened room after seeing it.  

I liked the idea of the... what... crossroads (?), in POTD. If RTD incorporates this idea, then I'll accept Tennant as #14.

48 minutes ago, schultz.kevin1972 said:

I'd be very willing to add Amy Pond to that list.

Well, she's Scottish, and she's a redhead. Does it for me, anytime :)

Romana 1 was... sultry.

Zoe was cute... and very sexy, in that spangly catsuit.

10 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Zoe was cute... and very sexy, in that spangly catsuit.

Zoe nearly made my runners-up list, but for me she's more "cute" than sexy. Though that catsuit is very, very nice. 

Romana II did nothing for me years ago in my younger, foolish days. Now, however, she's another fave.

Victoria can be rather nice to look at, too.

Rose is attractive, of course.

Used to have a major crush on Nyssa, back in my younger (non-Romana II) days. Still pretty as hell.

Liz Shaw, she grew on me. Very fetching. Nice gams for a scientist.

Ruby looks to be in the running, we shall see.

The rest don't really reach the rankings of the ones I've mentioned.

One exception is Sarah... she's special, and different, not sure how to explain it, but she is kind of "apart" from the rest, I have a difficult time appraising her attractiveness. She is, very very attractive, but something holds me back from including her or dwelling on it. Yeah, I'm weird. YMMV. 

20 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Well, she's Scottish, and she's a redhead. Does it for me, anytime :)

(P.S. Seen grown-up Caitlin (Amelia Pond) Blackwood lately? Wow. VERY Karen Gillan-ish. Not exactly Patty Duke "identical cousins", but wow, very very nice.)

Wonder where RTD intends to 'go' with Fifteen and Ruby ... another 'companion with a crush' thing, or something more akin to Donna and Ten ('I'm not mating with YOU, spaceman!')  

1 hour ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Wonder where RTD intends to 'go' with Fifteen and Ruby ... another 'companion with a crush' thing, or something more akin to Donna and Ten ('I'm not mating with YOU, spaceman!')  

I'm an old school guy, so I'm OK with Just Friends. Although for some reason I did like the Doctor and Martha. Especially when it was capped off with Captain Jack's "You too, huh?"

It's like Four said: "Ah, well... You're a beautiful woman... Probably."

The best companion relationships were Thirteen. Clara and Bill. Even with Donna, you can't beat those two. Bill was wonderful and they gave Clara something to DO every season.

On 18/12/2022 at 5:03 PM, Jay said:

Vertical video is never going to die is it

Unfortunately no.

As an editor, I can't tell you how much I hate the advent of vertical video on social media. All the time  have to deal with shooting a high quality project (horizontally obviously) and then getting asked to crop it to hell so it can appear vertical for social. Not to mention having to re-render the graphics to work for vertical as well.

15 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I'm an old school guy, so I'm OK with Just Friends. Although for some reason I did like the Doctor and Martha. Especially when it was capped off with Captain Jack's "You too, huh?"

It's like Four said: "Ah, well... You're a beautiful woman... Probably."

The best companion relationships were Thirteen. Clara and Bill. Even with Donna, you can't beat those two. Bill was wonderful and they gave Clara something to DO every season.

Ah, the Doctor ... sometimes somewhat self-assured in matters of the heart(s), and at other times utterly clueless. lol. 

Episode One of a War Doctor audio adventure is on BBC Sounds, for those who can access same. Good to hear the late, great John Hurt giving it 100% curmudgeonly charm again.  

It's not Sunday, yet, but, on Christmas Day, I plan to revisit, and remember, the absolutely wonderful time that I had, when I first saw THE CHRISTMAS INVASION.

Then, it was the most magical hour that I had spent in front of the telly, in many a long year. Time has not diminished this brilliant Nu Who special.

I'll have "a simple meal - vegetarian" (and if you know where that comes from, then you sure know your DW :)), and be prepared to be transported back to 2005; a brilliant year for me, topped off with a belter of an episode.

5 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

100% agree. I've never seen such an assured debut episode/story, for any Doctor. The only two that come close (and they do come close, mind), are SPEARHEAD FROM SPACE, and ROBOT.

ROBOT by such a wide margin. None of this "growing into the Doctor" nonsense. "You must cultivate a sense of URGENCY" indeed. I usually love Regeneration episodes but not so much post-regen episodes. Except Robot and Eleventh Hour. (Deep Breath has some great stuff in it. OK, The Woman Who Fell to Earth has some delights.)

Also that look on Baker's face that is equal parts adorable and "get this lunatic away from me!" when he sees the TARDIS? Magic.

I haven't had the time to watch any Christmas DW this year. So I'm trying to pick one. I'm leaning towards The Husbands of River Song. 1) It's Capaldi 2) I've watched the Smiths a LOT. 3) I watch Voyage of the Damned a LOT. 4) I don't want to watch a regeneration episode.

(I may watch some sort of "The Good Parts Version" of Christmas Invasion.)

33 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

It's a crying shame that we can't see "The Feast Of Steven", where they break the fourth wall.

A fan did an animated version a few years ago that was up on Youtube.  I plan on watching that at some point during the day.

There are quite a few of these animations, on YouTube. There are some deepfakes, as well.

1 hour ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I think (in modern Who) The Eleventh Hour maybe just shades it. Again (albeit over the length of an entire episode this time), Smith absolutely nails it.  

I can't prove it, but I'm convinced that the cottage hospital in "The Eleventh Hour", is the same one that was used, in "Spearhead From Space".

Well, I went with Time of the Doctor. I've been wrapping my kids' Christmas presents while I watched this episode for nine years now. I USUALLY pick a different Who Christmas. But it just felt right.

Wow. Just... Wow. It is the best regeneration episode ever. (Checks...) Yep. The Doctor Falls would have beaten it but that wound up NOT being a regeneration episode.

It is a perfect summation of everything Eleven and even most things Doctor Who. And it's Christmas! There are moments in this episode that would have been a crowning moment in any other episode but they turn out to be just one of many. The moment with Clara and her Grandmother. Talking with The Doctor... Twice! Eleven's last speech.

And the pacing! It starts out as such a roller coaster adventure and then turns into Doctor Meets Family Comedy and then we go to Church and then GALLIFREY and and and! It's the kind of magic trick that Moffat makes look so easy: Make you go along with this being the last episode of Doctor Who. You know it isn't. But you go along with it for just a little while.

And Eleven gets to shout at spaceships ONE. LAST. TIME.

Smith's performance is a tour de force.

It's not just the best regeneration episode, it's one of the best episodes of Doctor Who. It would have been a great episode for Moffat to bow out on. Except he had all of Thirteen to write. (And, like I said, The Doctor Falls.)

Ahhhhhh. Happy Christmas!

15 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Well, I went with Time of the Doctor. I've been wrapping my kids' Christmas presents while I watched this episode for nine years now. I USUALLY pick a different Who Christmas. But it just felt right.

Wow. Just... Wow. It is the best regeneration episode ever. (Checks...) Yep. The Doctor Falls would have beaten it but that wound up NOT being a regeneration episode.

It is a perfect summation of everything Eleven and even most things Doctor Who. And it's Christmas! There are moments in this episode that would have been a crowning moment in any other episode but they turn out to be just one of many. The moment with Clara and her Grandmother. Talking with The Doctor... Twice! Eleven's last speech.

And the pacing! It starts out as such a roller coaster adventure and then turns into Doctor Meets Family Comedy and then we go to Church and then GALLIFREY and and and! It's the kind of magic trick that Moffat makes look so easy: Make you go along with this being the last episode of Doctor Who. You know it isn't. But you go along with it for just a little while.

And Eleven gets to shout at spaceships ONE. LAST. TIME.

Smith's performance is a tour de force.

It's not just the best regeneration episode, it's one of the best episodes of Doctor Who. It would have been a great episode for Moffat to bow out on. Except he had all of Thirteen to write. (And, like I said, The Doctor Falls.)

Ahhhhhh. Happy Christmas!

I definitely need to watch this one again, but can't disagree with any of the above. It manages to move from silly (but funny) to achingly sad, especially as the Doctor actually visibly ages, but then becomes the youthful 11 again for a last hurrah and his regeneration scene is probably my favourite of all time. That includes the music... Murray Gold absolutely nails it, so much so that it often makes me a bit weepy listening to it. 10's regeneration music is great, but it's a lot more grandiose, for 11, Gold holds things back but pushes at precisely the right points to hit every emotional beat.

2 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Well, I went with Time of the Doctor. I've been wrapping my kids' Christmas presents while I watched this episode for nine years now.

Now, just a damn minute!

You've been wrapping your children's Christmas presents?

For nine years?????!!!!!

5 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I definitely need to watch this one again, but can't disagree with any of the above. It manages to move from silly (but funny) to achingly sad, especially as the Doctor actually visibly ages, but then becomes the youthful 11 again for a last hurrah and his regeneration scene is probably my favourite of all time. That includes the music... Murray Gold absolutely nails it, so much so that it often makes me a bit weepy listening to it. 10's regeneration music is great, but it's a lot more grandiose, for 11, Gold holds things back but pushes at precisely the right points to hit every emotional beat.

The callback to the epic version of 10s theme that plays right as Tennant bombastically regenerates is a master stroke considering 11 does one better than just collateral damage with his regeneration energy

I watched The Doctor, The Widow And The Wardrobe yesterday ... what better show than Who to do a take on a classic family fantasy adventure tale? Smith is great ... equally adept at the giddily childlike and physical comedy aspects of Eleven as he is at the 'sad-eyed elder statesman of the Universe' ones. And it's a nice reminder of when Alexander Armstrong was still mostly an actor. 

This morning, I've done The Christmas Invasion ... Ten(nant) debuts in such a triumphant manner, Eccleston is effectively forgotten (aside from the occasional references to his sole series scattered throughout this). I properly lol at his first words to the Sycorax leader being ' 'Ello, big fella!', and grin like mad when he replies 'Time Lord' to said leader's 'Witchcraft!' reaction to regeneration energy making his chopped-off hand grow back.    

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I watched The Doctor, The Widow And The Wardrobe yesterday ... what better show than Who to do a take on a classic family fantasy adventure tale? Smith is great ... equally adept at the giddily childlike and physical comedy aspects of Eleven as he is at the 'sad-eyed elder statesman of the Universe' ones. And it's a nice reminder of when Alexander Armstrong was still mostly an actor. 

This morning, I've done The Christmas Invasion ... Ten(nant) debuts in such a triumphant manner, Eccleston is effectively forgotten (aside from the occasional references to his sole series scattered throughout this). I properly lol at his first words to the Sycorax leader being ' 'Ello, big fella!', and grin like mad when he replies 'Time Lord' to said leader's 'Witchcraft!' reaction to regeneration energy making his chopped-off hand grow back.    

"I KNOW!"

So I wrapped up (ha!) the day watching The Doctor Falls. Swoon. If it's not the best episode of nuWho it's the best Capaldi. Everyone is so perfect. Even Matt Lucas is perfect! And Capaldi, Mackie, Gomez, and Simm all give series best performances. Sit down, Zygon Inversion. THIS is the best Capaldi speech. "It's not even because it works, because it hardly ever does!"

Speaking of which, the writing is so good. Moffat manages with two Masters to give us the Master story we always wanted. He can be as bad and as cruel and terrible as he possibly can be while alllllllmost... giving us the reconciliation that we somehow thought could be possible. This feels like he said "I'm probably never going to write Doctor Who again, so let's put it all on the table."

Then, because why not? I moved on to Twice Upon a Time. Better than I remembered. Not that I ever thought it was bad. But when you're comparing to The End of Time, Time of the Doctor, and The Doctor Falls it comes up kind of light. One of the biggest problems is that they seem to be wanting The Doctor and Bill to feel like a big reunion when for The Doctor it was ten minutes ago. Not to say anything bad about Pearl Mackie's performance. She's still great.

Then I figured it out: Moffat does what I don't think any Who writer has given us. An encore. A curtain call. The Doctor Falls is the big epic regeneration story with all the stakes, all the thrills, the big big bad guy(s), and all the tears. And then Twice Upon a Time is one last time to spend with the Doctor. It's one more time for Moffat to play with the toys before putting them back in the bin and leaving them for the next kids.

Bradley gives a wonderful performance as the first Doctor. He's not William Hartnell. That's too much to ask. But it's lovely to see him as really the First Doctor.

Of course the Christmas Truce makes me cry. In real life the Christmas Truce makes me cry. In a way the ending makes it the most Christmas of all of the Christmas specials.

Whitaker's appearance hits me entirely differently now (as did Capaldi's when I watched Time of the Doctor). The first time (all the first times) The New Doctor is a stranger. You're hopeful, but this is someone new and you don't know them yet. New teeth, as it were. You watch it again and now it's ALSO meeting an old friend for the first time.

This is the first end of the year in 11 years that I won't be spending with The Doctor. So this was a nice way to feel better about that.

Next year, folks!