The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Seriously though, BBC Radio 2 is broadcasting the 60th Anniversary Concert, this Sunday, at 20.00hrs, BST.

It's already on BBC Sounds: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001r92n

Spoiler

1 I Am The Doctor - BBC National Orchestra of Wales & BBC Singers
2 All The Strange, Strange Creatures - BBC National Orchestra of Wales & BBC Singers
3 'Classic' Doctor Who Medley - Radiophonic Workshop (Mark Ayres & Peter Howell) & BBC National Orchestra of Wales
4 Abigail's Song (Silence Is All You Know) - BBC National Orchestra of Wales, BBC Singers & Rebecca Lea
5 This Is Gallifrey - BBC National Orchestra of Wales
6 The Rings Of Akhaten (The Long Song) - BBC National Orchestra of Wales & BBC Singers
7 The Companions Suite - BBC National Orchestra of Wales & BBC Singers
8 Doomsday - BBC National Orchestra of Wales & BBC Singers
9 Vale Decem - BBC National Orchestra of Wales & BBC Singers
10 A Good Man? - BBC National Orchestra of Wales & BBC Singers
11 I Am A Good Man - BBC National Orchestra of Wales
12 Suite: The Woman Who Fell To Earth - BBC National Orchestra of Wales & BBC Singers
13 The Life of Sunday (Ruby's Theme) - BBC National Orchestra of Wales
14 Fifteen - BBC National Orchestra of Wales & BBC Singers
15 The Shepherd's Boy - BBC National Orchestra of Wales & BBC Singers
16 Doctor Who Theme (2023 version) - BBC National Orchestra of Wales & BBC Singers

Is there any word on when the 60th concert will be available to watch? I can't find anything other than just it'll be "at a later date", but I'd love to watch the orchestra in action.

Gosh this has ramped up my anticipation. I haven't felt this excited about new Who since the lead-up to Moffat/Smith's first season.

I hate when that happens. From what I could hear in the recording of the new concert there was zero audience noise throughout any of the performances (except for applause after each piece finished of course). I wonder if that means they didn't do the usual rolling out of monsters on stage, or didn't show any footage while the music played. If so that's great - the orchestra is the main event after all!

Fifteeen reminds me a bit of Thunderbirds. I can kind of hear the brass chords a minute or so in coming in during moments of heroism.

Although nothing from either of these is standing out to me as particularly hummable or as accessible as Gold's previous themes.

There's speculation that the first special will air on 25th November, that being the closest Saturday night to the actual anniversary date of 23rd November. And then the second and third will air on the 2nd and 9th of December.  

58 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

There's speculation that the first special will air on 25th November, that being the closest Saturday night to the actual anniversary date of 23rd November. And then the second and third will air on the 2nd and 9th of December.  

If The Star Beast is released on the 25th November, that would be great cause it would be a special Birthday gift for me, hopefully sometime in early November they release the release dates for the specials

37 minutes ago, Dave said:

I guess both will be released simultaneously. And if we're really really really really lucky, we get both ones this year or early next year.

I hope Russel reminds Gold that he also still has to release: Years And Years, It's A Sin, Torchwood: Series 4, Gentleman Jack... the original synth music from DW Series 1, more music from Series 2-8. And A LOT MORE MUSIC FROM SERIES 9!!!

I couldn't get through Years and Years, way too close to reality, but the music was great. Gentleman Jack would be good, although not sure if there was masses of music. What he does need to release is season one of The Musketeers, including the main titles. They've only put out music to the second and third (by Paul Englishby) which is actually very good indeed, but it would be great to hear MG's first season scores too.

53 minutes ago, Dave said:

I hope Russel reminds Gold that he also still has to release: Years And Years, It's A Sin, Torchwood: Series 4, Gentleman Jack... the original synth music from DW Series 1, more music from Series 2-8. And A LOT MORE MUSIC FROM SERIES 9!!!

There's a leak of the synth score for 'The Girl in the Fireplace' and it didn't strike me as massively listenable. Much preferred the selection played at the 'Celebration' concert. Regarding Torchwood, Ben Foster was doing it by himself by series 3, so series 4 is almost certainly nothing to do with Gold.

When Gold does a 'specials' release (we know he will) it seems to me the most logical time to do a concurrent series 10 release. Maybe he'd even do some sort of 4-disc set and do both in one as a nice comeback release.

On 23/10/2023 at 1:10 PM, Richard Penna said:

There's a leak of the synth score for 'The Girl in the Fireplace' and it didn't strike me as massively listenable. Much preferred the selection played at the 'Celebration' concert.

The same leak (or other?.. I don't know) also includes some synth versions of S1 such as "Westminster Bridge", "A Lone Dalek" and some more. Great stuff imo. I obviously prefer the re-recorded orchestral versions (I also love the "The Girl In The Fireplace" concert version (there's also a second one)) but the original synth versions also have something unique and likeable about them.

On 23/10/2023 at 1:10 PM, Richard Penna said:

When Gold does a 'specials' release (we know he will) it seems to me the most logical time to do a concurrent series 10 release. Maybe he'd even do some sort of 4-disc set and do both in one as a nice comeback release.

I don't think that it will be one release. S10 plus surrounding specials need at least 3CDs. Maybe even 4. I hope Murray decides against the idea of giving the christmas specials their own disc for S10... I don't like the idea of having two half empty discs of "The Return Of Doctor Mysterio" and "Twice Upon A Time" while "World Enough And Time/The Doctor Falls" gets squeezed with 2 or three other episodes.

His second season has just begun filming - https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/doctor-who-ncuti-gatwa-second-season-newsupdate/. RTD has said that one of his conditions for returning was getting to do a season/series every year, so maybe after it's in the can they'll go straight into making the third? 

1 hour ago, Sweeping Strings said:

His second season has just begun filming - https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/doctor-who-ncuti-gatwa-second-season-newsupdate/. RTD has said that one of his conditions for returning was getting to do a season/series every year, so maybe after it's in the can they'll go straight into making the third? 

But let's hope Ncuti returns for the third series plus any specials that come after

With all the footage we have seen of Ncuti, we haven't seen him in this outfit yet, and with the other promo image showing what he wearing in the xmas special i wonder when he will wear this outfit

15thdoctor.jpg.fbf8afffb55676e233b46a768

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

So, if you've never seen this new Doctor Who thing they're putting on Disney+ how are you going to feel about this lead actor going away after three episodes?

Good point.

What about '96, when McCoy gets shot and turns into McGann, after 20 minutes? :lol:

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Good point.

What about '96, when McCoy gets shot and turns into McGann, after 20 minutes? :lol:

I thought of that a little: But McCoy didn't even do the narration. And all of the ads weren't "Come watch the new show with Sylvester McCoy!"

3 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I thought of that a little: But McCoy didn't even do the narration. And all of the ads weren't "Come watch the new show with Sylvester McCoy!"

But Tennant will get to be the Doctor (again) for longer with these three specials than McCoy and McGann combined in the film.

30 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

But Tennant will get to be the Doctor (again) for longer with these three specials than McCoy and McGann combined in the film.

That was my point. New viewers were not "promised" Sylvester McCoy. It was actually a bit of a surprise to see him. But new viewers are clearly being promised Tennant.

It's the RTD method: Introduce new viewers to the heartbreak and thrill of regeneration early. :)

12 hours ago, Tallguy said:

So, if you've never seen this new Doctor Who thing they're putting on Disney+ how are you going to feel about this lead actor going away after three episodes?

10 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Knowing Gen Z, they'll probably need therapy or something.

Nah Gen Z is the most pop-culture literate generation yet. Most of them would have some awareness of Doctor Who, and almost certainly David Tennant, even if they haven't actually watched it. It worked the same for us millennials - we were all well aware of the show (and particularly Tom Baker) even though it was off the air for the first half of our lives. But Gen Z were also raised in a Marvel world; being pop culture-savvy in this generation means familiarising yourself with a back-catalogue of stories and mythos over half a century old. They'll catch on straight away, and probably quicker than any of us did.