Best Lightsaber Duel

What is the best Star Wars lightsaber duel?  

54 members have voted

1. 1.

• Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Darth Vader (Star Wars: A New Hope)
    • Luke Skywalker vs. Darth Vader (The Empire Strikes Back)
    • Luke Skywalker vs. Darth Vader (Return of the Jedi)
    • Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Darth Maul (The Phantom Menace)
    • Yoda vs. Count Dooku (Attack of the Clones)
    • Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Anakin Skywalker (Revenge of the Sith)
    • Other (specify below)

OK, time to choose the best of the signature Star Wars action scenes: the Jedi duel. Use your own critera: action, story, psychology, lightsaber colors, whatever.

I only put in the biggest duel from each movie to keep the poll from looking too cluttered, feel free to choose "Other" for one not on there.

John- hasn't made up his mind yet.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked Skywalker/Kenobi from ROTS. I liked the environment in which they fought, with all the lava. It was pretty significant in the story.

I didn't pick other... But I agree with nightscape that Yoda and Sidious is by far the best.

Duel from ESB by far. I really like the TPM duel too, I think the thirty seconds after Obi-Wan is released from the laser corridor is really nice.

as a duel the one from ESB is the most exciting, its not the best because its really one sided, but its so frightening, the scene when Luke is walking down the corridor, and the monsterously huge Vader steps out in front of him, absolutely awesome, thats why I voted for it.

the first is incredible too, especially from my perspective, in 1977 that was one of the most exciting, fantastic sequences that had ever been put on screen. While its static compared to the others, it works because less is more. Both get extra points because there is no CG trickery, and none of those stupid somersaults and aerobatic/acrobatic moves.

ROTS last duel suffers from pure excess. In some ways the Anakin/Dooku fight at the beginning was better because it was short.

Nothing will beat the brillance of that which is from TESB. Of all the duels, that had the most tension in it because nobody has any clue what is going to happen to Luke. Upon watching it the first time we know that there is no way Luke can beat Vader, and we know that Luke is not going to die because he is the hero. As we all know the unthinkable happens and cinematic history is made.

as a duel the one from ESB is the most exciting, its not the best because its really one sided, but its so frightening, the scene when Luke is walking down the corridor, and the monsterously huge Vader steps out in front of him, absolutely awesome, thats why I voted for it.

Like he said.

K.M.

The ESB duel has the most suspense, but my vote goes to Obi-Wan vs. Maul (other). I love the very wide lenses, and I just think it's the coolest of all fights. So sue me.

Joe, the SW duel is laughable if anything, it has not tension and really great stunts are not neccesary, but ehck obi wan just turns 360 degrees and make little slashes. Thank goodness ESB and ROTJ are great.

Joe, the SW duel is laughable if anything, it has not tension and really great stunts are not neccesary, but ehck obi wan just turns 360 degrees and make little slashes. Thank goodness ESB and ROTJ are great.

It looks like a poor fight now, but in 1977 it was very scary (try to find out for yourself why).

But you know what your Ubermaster Lucas has to say about it, don't you? It's not a fight of two Jedi in their prime but between two old men ;) .

---------------

Alex cremers

Although the TESB duel scared me the most, I think the Darth Maul vs Obi and Qui-Gon is the best duel. The fighting is better than the OT but still very palpable. You could clearly see the moves and understand them. They were gracious and less clumbsy. The camera exposed their full bodies. There was no distraction. The fighting in AOTC is plain moronic and in ROTS it is actually a flashy dance routine and too fast to really connect with.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Voted for ROTJ - after thinking about it for a while!! Although the duel is badly interrupted by other stuffgoing on, it is really the only duel that is necessary for the storyline (apart from possibly ESB), and really the only one that develops as it carries on - and that final salvo from luke is a great moment.....

I went with which one made me the most satisfied with the experience. ANH is, let's face it, rubbish unless you "were there". And I wasn't. ESB is good, but a little one-sided and the stuff when they don't have lightsabers (the throwing suff) I think detracts from the experience. ROTJ is amazing, if fo rno onther reacson than the emotional power as Luke goes ape and kicks Darth Vader's butt.

But for excitement, you ahev to go for the Prequels. CGI has hel[ped immensely in this resepect: the duels can do what Lucas wants them to, not what ILM say is "possible" (cos now anything is possible!). AOTC duel was a little fragmented for me - it was basically three separate duels that wree all too short for real excitement (although Anakin withy 2 lightsabers and Yoda were great). ROTS duels were excellent, but I agree that the best (ie Anakin v Obi Wan) was sometimes a little excessive. Also, i am not a fan of the use fo "force powers" in the duels - it seems a little lame to me (except fo rthe Force theme in the background, which is great!). So for me, TPM is the best. Long, exilerahting, personal, some amazing moves and not too fragmented.

its funny you say that Luke, every little kid who watch Star Wars in 77 wanted a lightsaber and we all did the 360 move. It must have connected with audiences because they kept giving us bigger and better, well bigger actually.

I think they put the camera too close in RotS. I love the extreme wide angles in TPM, the fish-eye lens and all that stuff. And Ray Park's moves are über-cool. In the beginning you can still see they're still sort of hitting the beats, but once Obi-Wan goes apeshit on Maul, it's the greatest bit of sword fighting in all the Star Wars movies.

I also like that the camera doesn't linger on the things like Maul opening the door with the Force, and something catching fire in that final room. You have to watch it a few times before you see what's really going on (and in widescreen), but I love that it passes by so casually.

ESB.

When it comes to watching swordplay in movies, I prefer to see and feel every swing, miss and clash of the swords. Any swing could result in a fatal blow. That's much more exciting than the non-stop random swinging of lightsabers in the prequels where you know that no one will get hurt until it's all over. The duels in the OT are less flashy but pack a more powerful punch. TPM retained some of this and the duel is, for the most part, quite exciting. I've always loved the close-up shot of Darth Maul as he blocks the two sabers of Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon.

Jeff

I maintain that the ESB duel is one of the finest sequences ever filmed for cinema. It's definatly my favorite scene for any film. The whole film is pushing for Vader Vs. Luke, brilliant in everyway.

Second I might have to say Anakin Vs. Obi-Wan. I very much enjoyed the emotional aspect of the scene. Unfortunatly, the climax isn't as built up as much as the ESB duel.

TPM duel is definatly the most exiting from a mindless plotless perspective. Very well done, but emotionless until Qui-Gon dies.

Justin

It would have been nice to see Anakin a bit longer with two swords in AotC, that was great. I also liked the points of view (esp. in AotC) where he zooms in, and you get to see a close-up of one person only and some swinging of the light saber - but not too much of it of course (I agree with Marc about those wide angles too).

My favourite is the Duel (Anakin/Vader vs. Obi). It is the coolest thing I have ever seen in my life. The variety of places, the speed and the power of the movements, the "kick asses", the Force part, the lava stuff, the Obi dialogue and the final part... All plus "Anakin vs. Obi" and "Battle of the Heroes" courtesy of master Williams = my favorite thing in a movie of all time

My favourite is the Duel (Anakin/Vader vs. Obi). It is the coolest thing I have ever seen in my life. The variety of places, the speed and the power of the movements, the "kick asses", the Force part, the lava stuff, the Obi dialogue and the final part... All plus "Anakin vs. Obi" and "Battle of the Heroes" courtesy of master Williams = my favorite thing in a movie of all time

You may want to give it more of a week before making that claim.

Neil

You haven't, for saying the contrary...

Joe, i know SW is/was a great phenomenon, but surely if you put a kid nowadays to see all movies, he is going to imitate the prequel duels.

And get a dual saber if possible

I think these 4 Lightsaber Duels are the Best

Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Darth Maul (The Phantom Menace)

Yoda vs. Count Dooku (Attack of the Clones)

Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Anakin Skywalker (Revenge of the Sith)

Yoda vs. Darth Sidious (Revenge of the Sith)

"Return of the Jedi" has the best fight because of what's going on underneath the saber battle. Father vs. son, the Emperor looking to replace his apprentice, the fate of the Empire at stake. And then the chorus comes in. Where did they come from? And if you hear the strings playing Luke's theme then Vader's theme, it adds so much more.

Add the dark lighting accentuating the lightsaber colors, and the music before the chorus pops in for a visit, and you have a great sequence.

Second would be "The Empire Strikes Back," but it's a very distant second.

Not at all. I said I don't like it. I never said it was the coolest thing I've ever seen and it's my favorite thing of all time. Things like that take time and perspective. He posted gut reactions.

Neil

Neil get's burned?

get's?

I had no time to question my punctuation. I feared for Neil's arguing skills.

Thankfully, I've been set back on the straight and narrow.

Justin

You may want to give it more of a week before making that claim.

Neil

Well, the week has passed and I´m saying the same shit (I have seen the movie 5 times). I´m a crazy SW fan a little sad because of the end of the saga so don´t listen to what I´m saying...

/me makes his annual appearance... Hi All!

Here are my thoughts:

I voted for the Darth Maul duel from TPM, and while I had second thoughts after reading the thread and thinking about it some more, I'm going to stick with it. However, I think the answer depends on what your criteria are. So I'm going to go through each of the movies, and their merits.

First, I've only seen RotS once opening night, so it's hard to compare. Because of that, RotS is out of the running. It's possible that it would put up a good fight (haha) if it was fresher in my mind. In much the same way EPII's fights are out of the running, though I do remember enjoying the lightsabre part of the final Dooku duel. (I don't think I've seen it since it was in theatres.) So we're left with a contest between, essentially, the OT and TPM.

The Vader/Obi-Wan duel at the end of Star Wars is out of the running immediately. Batmanand said iit with "ANH is, let's face it, rubbish unless you "were there". And I wasn't." It fit well with the movie, but in terms of "wow, that's impressive" it scores about a 2 for me. (I saw it for the first time when the Special Editions were released to the theatres.)

ESB scores a bunch of votes, and I fully understand why. I agree that it's one of cinema's finest moments. Nevertheless, the actual duel isn't very... impressive. It's reasonably slow, interrupted by Luke wondering around, getting hit with flying stuff, etc. I'm looking at this question from the perspective of what is the most intense fight. And the same things that make it so impressive from the point of view of the story and movie in general -- Luke not being all that skilled yet, Vader trying not to kill Luke, and the one-sidedness -- mean that the fighting isn't very intense.

RotJ puts up a very good fight. While most of the final duel is again not very intense, the segment from "you have a twin sister... If you will not join the dark side, then perhaps she will" to when Luke chops off Vader's hand is. Combined with the placement in the story and what is IMO the finest 45 seconds of music Williams has ever written, this is way up there. The reason it loses out to TPM is because it's not very long.

And finally we get to TPM. This fight is fast and furious. The fact that it's 2 against 1 for a lot of it contributes to the excitement. I just think that it's horribly impressive. I've watched the fight scene for just the fight scene on a couple occasions.

TPM had the best LS duels. In fact, the LS duels and the music are the main reasons why I like TPM so much. Actually, they sort of shot themselves in the foot by killing Maul off in Episode I because he could have been great in E2 and even E3. I think Lucas even publically admitted that it was a mistake to kill off Maul so soon.

The Classic Trilogy LS fights are all pretty clumsy compared to the Prequel LS fights, but if you go by Lucas' theory that the golden Age of the Jedi was over and they were all olf and slow and machine... well that still makes no sense because Yoda, Dooku, anfd Sidious are anciant and can move exceedingly fast when they are fighting. :shakehead: Oh well.

I think Lucas even publically admitted that it was a mistake to kill off Maul so soon.

Thank God the man makes mistakes now and then.

Well, I voted other... My favorite is the Obi-Wan vs. Maul duel right after Qui-Gon has been struck down... It has the speed and lots happens in a very small amount of time... :shakehead:

that is part of the qui gon ob1 maul duel, its not really separate.

I chose the TPM duel because for me it was the epitome of everything I'd ever heard about and imagined Jedi sword fights to be as a kid in th 70's/80's. However, a very close 2nd, and actually a more important duel to the story, but less flashy, is the EMPIRE duel.

I agree with Magnus. And I think it rises above some of the earlier parts. It's very fast and intense, and really the way the old Jedi fighting should be. In earlier parts of the duel, you can see them still hitting the beats at some points, although there's some mighty cool stuff there, too. But when Obi goes apeshit on Maul, that's the single bit of coolest lightsaber fighting ever, imo.