Star Wars Prequel Music Resource

Henry B

I still think RotS has better underscore by far

I still think most of the best material from AotC is on the album,except Anakin's Confession and Shmi's Funeral

I really wanted some unreleased transitionnal fanfares in AotC.Now most of them are released from videogames.

K.M.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shmi's Funeral is a pretty clean rip. You can then use the horn intro for when Anakin is outside on the promanade on Naboo meditating and Pamde comes out "You had another nightmare"

The rest of that scene is tracked...

One good thing about tracked music is if you can get it, you can use it over and over to fill in the gene-sequence gaps and complete the...cod...what?

Sorry...Jurassic Park on the mind :-p

I've done two version of the entire Anakin Vs Obi- Wan sequence, using the video game files, the OST, my own DVD rip and Jack Chapple's piece from his early complete ROTS score because I was too lazy to do the Duel of The Fates edit ;)

Anyway, one version features the music when Yoda enters Palpatine's "office" and taunts him, the other one leaves that out in favour of a better flow.

Both cues don't have the bit when Yoda says "Into exile I must go", but I've found a good solution to that.

The shorter piece is 10:13, the longer one 10:46. It's possible that these times don't match yours; I had to quicken the cues because of the PAL speed- up.

Why should they have the wrong pitch? Of course they do when you compare them to the OST, but they still sound exactly the same, don't they? Why should I care whether a cue has a slightly higher pitch, it's still the cue I love.

They have the wrong pitch compared to the notes that were originally written. How else would you define the wrong pitch?

What happens in the transitions between OST material and ripped material? You'll end up with awkward modulations--like the transition from "Padme's Visit" to "Heroes Collide." The former ends in D minor, and the latter starts in D minor. Messing with the pitches will make this transition (and others) sound very bizarre.

No, a cue won't sound the same if it's been raised or lowered in pitch. Real instruments' timbres change between notes--yes, even over the course of a whole step. Artificially changing the pitch leaves the timbre unaltered, which can lead to some strange sounds. Plus there's the unexplainable fact that some things just sound better in certain keys.

What sound editor are you using?

Do you think I'm stupid? Of course I know that all instruments have registers in which they sound especially beautiful; I do know something about orchestration, I happen to write music myself.

Saying that the pitch shift lessens the power or the quality of the piece in any way is utterly ridiculous. A person with a VERY fine ear might catch the difference, but that's all. I can't imagine anyone would be bothered by this tiny pitch shift.

And I'm not going to do a complete ROTS score; the score is good, but not that great.

guys whoa... calm down... there are other people who read this who may not know that. It would be an interesting read for them.

I personally am a stickler for each note being in the right key. I've developed perfect pitch and with that, I not only hear the pitchit should be, but as a composer, I choose my pitches and ranges very carefully, knowing that each key and note has a different feel to it... you could play the same tune in different places on the keyboard and get a completely differernt feel at each...

But again, to each his own. We all have had to change the pitches in ours to make the transitions smooth, but if you're only doing a couple cues... I guess it can't be too bad. I'd get annoyed lol... but that's why I made my own... I'm not listening to yours ;-)

Anyways...

The higher PAL pitch doesn't really matter in standalone cues.It matters when you have to edit it with OST stuff,then it's very noticeable and the transitions are crap.

k.M.

As per Mark's suggestion I'm pasting this sumary of the offical list of cues that we still need WITH OUT sound effects to make our ROTS set complete. Sorry but I hate having sound effects in my scores...

1M4a Get 'Em, R-2! - we still have a chunk of that missing.

1M7 The Death Of Dooku

2M4 Revisiting Padmé

2M6 Scenes and Dreams - We're missing a good portion of it.

2M7 Be Careful Of Your Friend

3M1 Council Meeting - We're missing a bit of that.

3M2 Hold Me

3M3 Palpatine's Big Pitch

4M4a Fighting With Grievous - Missing parts of that.

4M6 I Am The Senate - We've only got about 10% of the

cue. This cue should end after Palpatine tells Anakin to rise before

it goes into the tracked music with Palpatine's Theme.

5M1 Palpatine Instructs Anakin - The opening we have from

the OST but we're missing a bit of it that was heard in the movie.

5M4 Swimming, Droids, Yoda Farewell - We're missing Yoda Farewell.

5M6 Moving Things Along - We only have the second half of this cue from the OST. The first half starts after Anakin arrives at Padmé's apartment after Order 66 is carried out.

6M1 It Can't Be - We've only got a small portion it and I'd like the full thing plus the full ending of it.

6M3 Padmé's Visit - We only have the first 26 second of that, but even then we don't have the actual opening of it.

6M4 Heroes Collide - We're missing parts from the begining.

6M5 Duel Of Yoda and Sidious - We don't even have the film version for this.

6M8 Yoda To Exile

6M9 Revenge Of The Sith - It's easy to make a film version edit but I'd perfer the real film version cue.

7M2 Anakin Crawling - We've only got a tiny portion of it...this cue ends how it ends for the game piece but as I said we've only got a small portion of the cue.

7M3 Birth Of The Twins - We don't have the begining of this cue which starts when it shows Yoda medidating and it should end with the statement of Vader's theme when the helmet locks into place.

7M5 Plans For The Twins - We only have 10 seconds of this cue.

7M6 Padmé's Funeral

7M7 A Home For The Twins - We need the missing piece at the begining of this cue...

This is roughly about 35 minutes of music we still do not have. Hopefully the future Star Wars games that LucasArts themselves release will contain the last of the music that we need.

After all it took 6 (not including Battlefront 2 and Galaxies) Star Wars games to release all the unused material for The Phantom Menace. We've only had 3 Star Wars games and we've nearly got all the unreleased music for ROTS. So if they span it out to 3 more games for the rest of the unreleased music then, there you go.

Saying that the pitch shift lessens the power or the quality of the piece in any way is utterly ridiculous. A person with a VERY fine ear might catch the difference, but that's all. I can't imagine anyone would be bothered by this tiny pitch shift.

It's not just the wrong pitch, the tempo is off too compared to what was written and recorded.

I know very little about dvd ripping and editing music, but I would absolutely love to have some of this unreleased ROTS music, particularly from the end of the movie. If anyone wouldn't mind sharing any of these files via PM, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Ted

It's not just the wrong pitch, the tempo is off too compared to what was written and recorded.

I guess it all comes down to whether you care or not. I don't. I can enjoy a piece of music even if it's 4 % faster and has a SLIGHTLY different pitch.

I'm sorry you can't.

You don't know how to reduce the pitch of DVD rips? It's the same as increasing the pitch of the OSTs, but in reverse: multiply the pitch by 96%, rather than 104%.

Isn't it the other way round? On my program 96% speeds it up to the PAL speed, and 104.167% slows it down.... I guess it's different on different programs.

Quick question concerning the ROTS Edit. I was comparing my old edit list with the one currently in this thread and noticed that this que had some changes.

14. DRAWING SWORDS

Reel 4 Deconstruction 0:00-0:32.5

Where did the mix/paste OST t1 4:46-5:21 disappear to? This is the horns right after Grevious is spinning his blades (Deconstruction) and Kenobi makes a thrust in and engages the battle? The Deconstrution definitely goes there but the OST seems like a majority of the fight.

Here's how the old edit looked:

OBI-WAN FARES DROIDS/

GAL mus_wookiee_quest_fail all

DRAWING SWORDS/GRIEVOUS ATTACKS/

GAL mus_avatar_platform_final 0:00-0:06

mix/paste OST t1 4:46-5:21

GOOD GUYS ARRIVE

mix/paste GAL mus_avatar_platform_final 0:58-end

And now it looks like this:

13. OBI-WAN FARES DROIDS

14. DRAWING SWORDS

15. GOOD GUYS ARRIVE

Reel 4 Deconstruction 1:09-1:19.5

GAL mus_avatar_platform_final 1:05-end

Do you think I'm stupid? Of course I know that all instruments have registers in which they sound especially beautiful; I do know something about orchestration, I happen to write music myself.  

I don't think you're stupid, and I don't think anyone in their right mind on this board thinks you are. There are plenty of very intelligent people who DON'T know that instruments change timbre when they change pitch; there's a difference between intelligence and knowledge. Until you wrote the post I just quoted, I didn't know you were a composer. I was just making sure we were all on the same page and explaining why it bothers me. It's fine if you're comfortable with the pitch and tempo changes. But you asked why we cared, and I was explaining my reasoning. No need to blow up at us. :music:

It may seem "utterly ridiculous" or even unbelievable to you, but there are people who can tell if a well-loved piece has had its pitch altered. For instance, when I saw ROTS for the first time, I immediately noticed that the tracked music the plays as The Invisible Hand crashes was raised in pitch. The trumpets sounded too tinny and the key just didn't have the same feel as the one it was originally recorded in. It didn't "lessen the power or quality" of the cue--but it did change it. If you don't notice these things or they don't bother you, there's nothing wrong with that. But some of us do, and there's nothing remotely ridiculous about that.

EDIT: On a totally different note: would anyone who has the ability to rip music from the Bounty Hunter game be willing to rip the original music by Jeremy Soule, too? It's not Williams quality, but it's enjoyable. I already have four tracks that were released on the game's official site; it would be nice if we had access to all of it. I suppose it could be placed under "Original Scores" on the FTP. Thanks in advance!

I guess I probably should have asked about the Bounty Hunter music in a separate post so that people would know there was something new in the thread. Consider this a bump! Please refer to my question in the above post.

I've been putting together all of ROTS that is without dialogue, and I'm putting together Padme's Visit and Anakin vs. Obi-Wan. Has anyone else notice that the transition seems a little off? It's almost as though they ended up cutting a second or two of the movie and they had to trim the last moment or two of Padme's Visit. I did a reverb on it and it and played around with the volume and that helped some, but does anyone else have a sinking feeling that even with the DVD rip we're missing a second or two or three?

EDIT: On a totally different note: would anyone who has the ability to rip music from the Bounty Hunter game be willing to rip the original music by Jeremy Soule, too? It's not Williams quality, but it's enjoyable. I already have four tracks that were released on the game's official site; it would be nice if we had access to all of it. I suppose it could be placed under "Original Scores" on the FTP. Thanks in advance!

I've checked out that music... it's hellish. Impossible to organize into a coherent listening experience. But, if you're interested, I'll just upload all the raw files...

Quick question concerning the ROTS Edit. I was comparing my old edit list with the one currently in this thread and noticed that this que had some changes.

14. DRAWING SWORDS

Where did the mix/paste OST t1 4:46-5:21 disappear to? This is the horns right after Grevious is spinning his blades (Deconstruction) and Kenobi makes a thrust in and engages the battle? The Deconstrution definitely goes there but the OST seems like a majority of the fight.

Here's how the old edit looked:

OBI-WAN FARES DROIDS/

DRAWING SWORDS/GRIEVOUS ATTACKS/

GAL mus_avatar_platform_final 0:00-0:06

mix/paste OST t1 4:46-5:21

GOOD GUYS ARRIVE

mix/paste GAL mus_avatar_platform_final 0:58-end

I decided that since the music from the OST was tracked, it didn't really belong there.

Since no one will provide it... (yes people have it) I am going to track down the German release and rip it for us.

Also, when the original trilogy comes out on DVD... we can get a very nice rip of Lapti Nek.

Thanks,

~Andy

We already have one...

I made it using the Making of Tape and the Tape of the Originals I have... I don't think Cerrabore put it up though...

It's about 80% clean... maybe we could get more but the way It was explained--or atleast the way I understod the explaination--was that since it's in 2.0, it's really just in sterio, with the back channels having the delay of the front channels sound with a slight echo... meaning the front channels would yeild the same as the back...

Then of course there's my edit of Max Rebo Band Song....

I decided that since the music from the OST was tracked, it didn't really belong there.

Didn't realize it was tracked music. Was it tracked from a previous cue in ROTS? I didn't think they put any of the tracked music from EI&II in the E3 OST, so I figured this must still be from ROTS but perhaps earlier.

Well, if anyone wants it I'm willing to share. I just re-did it as I've learned a few new techniques... I think it's probably the best one can get...

I used the Making of Tape to replace almost everything from the Movie rip itself. What of the movie rip I had to use, I found a way to make themusic louder, and the voices as echoes.. .while still keeping the music at a ...listenable quality...

If anyone wants it, just pm me.

I've checked out that music... it's hellish. Impossible to organize into a coherent listening experience. But, if you're interested, I'll just upload all the raw files...

If it's not too much trouble, that would be great. It's been a while since I've played the game, and I think I remember feeling the same way about the music you do. But I thought I'd give it another listen...see if perhaps it was an acquired taste. Jango's Theme (which plays on the main menu) is actually quite well written, IMO. But a lot of the action music sounds quite random, if I remember correctly.

Anyway, no big hurry. If it becomes convenient at some point, feel free to upload them. If not, no big deal. :jump:

Hey, GM, if you want to email me the Lapti and the Max Reebo that would be awesome. PM me or email me at lord_skylark@yahoo.com

Thanks,

~Andy

will do.

I only have Lapti at the moment. I decided to go back and try the Max Rebo again to see if there was anything I could do... so far not too much :wave: .There seems to be two versions, if not three.

• 2 weeks later...

Having some free time now, I decided to try to finish up my TPM editing. So far, I've got just about everything done except for the three big Battle of Naboo tracks. :P

Anywho, I wanted to note that the two concert pieces (Anakin's Theme and Duel of the Fates) are missing from the list. And also, what's the deal with the orchestral version of DOTF? Is that available somehwere, or are there supposed to be editing instructions?

It's fine if you're comfortable with the pitch and tempo changes. But you asked why we cared, and I was explaining my reasoning. No need to blow up at us.  

I didn't mean to blow up at anyone, sorry if it appeared that way :micro:

(THAT'S the smiley I always wanted to use!)

At least I know how to correct the PAL speedup now. Not saying that I will, though :P

I didn't mean to blow up at anyone, sorry if it appeared that way

It's all good. All's well that ends well, right? :mrgreen:

(THAT'S the smiley I always wanted to use!)

And a great smiley it is, indeed. :P

I just read through this whole thread (over the last month!), and all I can say is WOW. I happened to stumble across here while looking for any unreleased Sith music that might have found its way to the web but what I found here just blew me away.

I am just getting into editing music and am really impressed by everyone's dedication here. :mrgreen:

• 3 weeks later...

Not to be a boob, but did anyone compile a list of the clean endings for the tracks too ? lol

I know that some people have them for things and posted them, but did anyone compile the list--not really wanting to surf through 42 pages worth of posts myself... though in theory I could.

If people know them, maybe they could pm them to me I'll compile the edit list?

Wow. Just wow.

The efforts of the individuals on this site are both amazing and somewhat frightening in their dedication. And yet I totally understand. I remember listening to the original Star Wars soundtracks on cassette (remember those?) in elementary school and thinking John Williams was a genius. I must have ran those spools into the ground. I have since purchased all the Star Wars soundtracks on CD, but was always disappointed in the less-than-complete prequel collections (and the often-tracked scoring in the prequels themselves). And then today I found this site...and read through every post in this thread.

Kudos, guys. An amazing display of talent and devotion to a composer that certainly deserves it. Keep up the good work!

Someone will be sending me a dvd-r of the entire german disc very soon I hope. I sent my paypal payment to them. I will rip it ASAP when I get it.

Also, with the request for clean intro/endings to cues... Can someone compile a list of alternate recordings of cues? (alt takes or instrumentations - I know some exist) (this was in referral to TPM, but all of the prequels apply)

Thanks,

~Sky

Any requests for where to get this music needs to be done privately. Any requests that I find here should be ignored by other posters and will be deleted by me.

I'm going to stick by that.

- Marc, who just deleted a post.

• 3 weeks later...

1-turn on software recorder set to record WAVE (software included in Magix Audio Lab,Creative Media Source Player...ect...)

2-Play game with SFX and Dialogue turned off

3-Exit game and save wave,edit...

K.M.

That's not extraction... That's recording as you play... Completely different.

I'm guessing there's probably still some pieces of music we don't have from the game. I hope someone makes an extraction program for Battlefront 1 & 2 someday.

~Sky

As far as I know we've...eh... "recorded" everything that's in the game... As far as Lucas Arts games go, I've noticed it's almost impossible to ever get the music any other way except to record as you go... which if yuou use certain programs/settings is not all that bad...

I have extracted several games scores that contain unused cues. Kotor II for example.

May be there is some deleted level we didnt get and they were lazy to erase the music files...

So yes, a way to open these files could come handy.

Maybe theres some bonus levels no one has done yet.

K.M.Who has the game but hasn't played all of it.

Not really. I was thorough when I recorded all of the music... believe me. However, an extractor would still be beneficial, because it might yield music with higher sound quality, and there might just be pieces that never play in the game due to programming oversights.

It's to bad that there wasn't a way to silence the sound effects and voices during the cut scenes. Since I believe you said Cerrabore that there was some unreleased music in those.