What is the last score you listened to?

HPFAN_2

Marion,

LOL

Check out the links on that page and they will direct you to Joby's publishers and also includes a list of his works to date.

They couldn't have hidden it much better.

Marian - too scared to shower now.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOWZOR! I'm not the only Monkey Island fan here!!! LOL YAY :thumbup: .. Great score ROTFLMAO

Anyway, last score I listened to was Sin City (I LOVE IT!)

Oooh there's a monkey in my pocket and it's stealing all my change, his eyes are wild and glassy, I suspect that he's deraanged!

Marian - who first posted a message from another thread here by accident.

For those cold dark ship board nights

We've got boxers, briefs and tights

Made in cotton, silk or cetin

I styles anglo, dutch and latin

When you sail don't take a chance

Wearing nothing 'neath your pants

Trust: Silver Long John's!!!

They breathe!

Far and Away. I just got a copy of this off of Amazon quite cheap. Thought it was ok, but had a few problems with it. Mainly, I kept hearing the JFK theme at times to the point it was distracting. It starts off promising, but by the end I felt that it wasn't it's own score.

Star Trek: Insurrection and Total Recall by Jerry Goldsmith. Very fine action scores. ST:I, I think has the best recording of the main theme in the modern Trek movies, and there's some very lovely underscoring in this film, the Ba'Ku theme and "Children's Story" are delightful.

TR is an awesome action score that influenced almost all of Goldsmith's scores afterwards. One of his very best.

I'm warming up to TR more and more each time I hear. I still don't love it as a whole, but it's certainly got several brilliant cues.

Alexander. I LOVE "Titans" I seriously cannot get this track out of my head. The rest is quite good but not nearly as good as "Titans". I give it a 4/5.

Kingdom Of Heaven. Overall this score has more noticable cues than Alexander although it doesn't have anything as catchy as "Titans" (can you tell I like that cue? ROTFLMAO ) although there's still a lot of great stuff on this album. I give it another 4/5.

The Man In The Moon. A beautiful score written for a very small ensemble. But the album does suffer from a short release and out of order track listing. Still there's a lot of great stuff here. 3/5.

Vertical Limit. An underated JNH score. Not his most original score but still very exciting and fun. A lot of cues reminded me of Dinosaur. Still a great theme and loads of good JNH action music. 4/5.

The Fugitive. A great score on every level. One of my all time favorites of JNH especially in the film. Stairway Chase is the best track. 5/5.

The Sixth Sense. A score that's much subtler than JNH's later Shymalan scores, but equally as brilliant. The album is rather short, but it does make for a sweet listen. A score that works brilliantly in the film but isn't truly understood until it's heard on CD. 5/5

Next up, Michael Collins and Sommbersby!

Justin - Who's been polishing his boots while listening to score. Got 'em shinin' like mirrors boys!

The Man In The Moon. A beautiful score written for a very small ensemble. But the album does suffer from a short release and out of order track listing. Still there's a lot of great stuff here. 3/5.  

I'm glad you were able to hear this somewhat overlooked gem of a score. I just love it - a tender, beautiful, fun, atmospheric score; it always gives me a sense of nostalgic childhood summers (not mine, persay, but the general concept). One of JNH's best, in my opinion.

Ray Barnsbury

The Fugitive. A great score on every level. One of my all time favorites of JNH especially in the film.

beerchug

Stairway Chase is the best track. 5/5.

beerchug beerchug

The Hunchback of Notre Dame

beerchug beerchug beerchug

I listened to "Sorcerer's Stone" in the car. Man, "Nimbus 2000" is becoming one of my top three favorite JW themes.

Last night, "Clear and Present Danger" was on AMC. I watched bits and pieces during "Alias" commercials. There was one scene where Harrison Ford and the Colombian baddie were looking up the missile that hit the mansion. The music is directly lifted from "Aliens." And then there's the big rescue in the helicopter at the end that uses "Bishop's Countdown."

Obviously, James Horner had little imagination on this project.

Jeff -- who will listen to "The Empire Strikes Back" on the treadmill at the gym today

Let's see...

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (twice; I just got it!)

The Muppets' Wizard of Oz (including the 4 minute score suite I ripped from the credits on the DVD)

The Lion King

And currently:

The Spy Who Loved Me (although I'm not quite sure why...)

Sommersby. What a woderful Elfman score. I've listened to it several times never really getting into it until this time. I always thought it was too dark and a little dull. It's not a score that catches you right away like Batman or Edward Scissorhands, however it is equally as good. One of the best Elfman themes I've heard by him and such a refreshing diffrence from his ho hum superhero scores of late (They have their moments.) Sommersby is such a dark and pasionatly romantic score I often times forgot I was listening to Danny Elfman I was reminded of Goldmsith and even a little Williams when listening to the score. A great hidden gem. 5/5.

Now Playing: Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius. Another energetic John Debney childrens score that doesn't do much for me. The theme is catchy otherwise a bit of a snoozer. 3/5.

Justin

I've burned the full score for Star Trek First Contact, Expanded score for Insurrection and the 2-disc set for Nemesis for someone who requested it, just to make sure it burned okay.

So right now I'm listening to Star Trek First Contact, then Insurrection will be next followed by Nemesis.

Any word yet on how they are?

Justin

If you're asking me...they seemed to have been burned okay. Gotta head to the post office in the morning to send these off to the guy who requested them.

I listened to Carter Burwell's Conspiracy Theory. A great little score. In particular, I love the fun 'Conspiracy Theory' theme and the theme used a few times in the movie, presented on the album in 'Turning into a Jerry'.

Listened to Marc Isham's Crash. This is score really resonates with me, especialy for the pivotal scenes in the movie. 'Flames', the set piece of the movie, really shows you how a talented composer can do with a solo female vocalist and a synthesizer what most composer couldn't do with an 80 piece orchesta, and is really a stirring and moving piece. And I am in awe of what he does in 'A really good Cloak', which at first sounds like some non-descript, bland synth work, but which develops into such an emotional cue. There's no point to recommending the score, because a lot of my admiration for it comes, I'm sure, because of the movie. But I can say that, as someone who was never really interested in Isham's work, I certainly have a great deal more respect for him.

Came back to Doyle's A Little Princess again. This has become one of my favorite albums, my favorite Doyle score after Much Ado About Nothing. It's just so wonderful! The 'O Namaste' theme, one of the three principle themes in the score (all 3 of which are great) is one of the finest themes ever, Doyle's best after 'Estella's theme'. The album is full of little gems, and the last 3 tracks, running almost 10 minutes together, is some of the finest film music I've ever heard.

Lord of the Rings The Fellowship of the Ring. (For the first time)

I had hight expectations for this score, i thought it might blow me away. I realize now how silly that notion was. The score is mediocre at best and i will not be listening to Two Tower or Return of The King.

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events

Have I mentioned already how much I love Newman. This might not be on the level of Finding Nemo but it's a wonderfully rich score and i enjoyed it more the second time around.

The Mummy Returns

This is such a great score. Lots of great themes and fantastic fast paced action cues.

Stanley and Iris

;)

I recently got hold of Spirited Away after seeing the movie, and what a score! Great theme & very imaginitive.

Also ripped the iso score from I, Robot, which unfortunately has Beltrami's commentary over some of it, but it's opened up & some of it is very inventive.

"Anna and the King of Siam" (1946) - Complete score

Music composed and conducted by a barely live Bernard Herrmann

"Alien Nation" (1988) - Rejected score

Music decomposed and performed with aplomb by Jerry Goldsmith

"Flightplan" (2005) - Non rejected score

Music composed and conducted on autopilot by James Horner

Schindler's List. A couple of the later tracks are a bit redundant, but I think this is a great album for one of JW's best scores. I'm kinda sick of the main theme, having heard it so many times, but the Rememberances theme gets me every time. And I think JW has rarely sunk into a given ethnicity as successfully as he did in 'Jewish Town' and 'Schindler's Workforce'.

'Immolation' is an oustandingly powerful piece, with the voices of the dead crying out (all the more powerful if you understand the words as their spoken). 'Auschwitz-Birkenau' captures the horror of the wrongly-routed train with a sense of the inevitable doom that exists in the camp.

'Jerusalem of Gold', though not generally a somber piece (it was originaly performed by a soft-voiced woman and her guitar), is really haunting when sung by that full chorus.

Not for every day listening, and the ablum works more as a concept album than a score CD (at the way I see it), but without a doubt one of the most stirring and striking scores ever.

"Flightplan" (2005) - Non rejected score

What's that supposed to mean?

You will get used to my zany sense of humour, my British friend.

Hitch :D Violin Concerto No. 2 by the late David Diamond.

Dinosaur by James Newton Howard.

This was probably one of the most random purchases I've ever made and I probably wouldn't have even considered picking it up if it hadn't been for the announcement that Howard would be scoring King Kong, thus reading some positive comments about Dinosaur on this board. I saw the movie in theatres, but the score didn't impress me then. Thankfully, I'm older and know when to try new things. Dinosaur has quite a lush and smooth flow to it, and there are some really catchy rhythms throughout. It sounds nice, but it just feels so generic, as if Howard doesn't really have his own style. I've heard other scores by Howard within the films, but there's really nothing that screams out to me "that's a Howard score!" He doesn't seem to have his own voice, he just seems to be one of Hollywood's "utility men" (sort of like how Clemmensen described John Debney in his The Passion of the Christ review) who just adapts to what the director or producer wants.

Dinosaur is an easy listen, and I'm sure I'll go back to it later on when I feel the need to, but it's mostly stuff I've heard before in Jerry Goldsmith's The Ghost and the Darkness, James Horner's The Land Before Time and Hans Zimmer's The Power of One. What the African chants are doing in this score, I don't know, but it's all so generic, I wouldn't be able to identify it with this particular movie. I'm willing to give Howard another go by perhaps listening to Peter Pan or The Village, and I do remember liking Signs a lot, because he's not bad, just a tad bland.

Last score I listened to (actually, still listening to it now) was 'Wallace and Gromit in the Curse of the Were-Rabbit'. Really surprised by how much I love this score.

Genius and hilarious film too, I recomend it to anyone if you can get our Northern English humour. Ay-Up! :-P

Was number 1 in the States too wasnt it??

Yes, it was.

I started listening to A Guide for The Married Man, giving it my first real listen. I got it tentatively, only because I wanted the Basil Poledrouis documentry from FSM, and needed to the minimum for the gift. I gave it a few brief listens, and it never grabed me. But this time, I really got drawn into it, and I absolutely loved it! granted, I only listened to it about half way through, but I absolutely loved what I heard. 'The Globetrotters', in particular, is a fantastic track.