James Newton Howard scores King Kong?

Antineutrino

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neil, do I have permission to go over to that Silvestri / Newton-Howard board (incognito of course) and execute Emergency Landing Plan....B?

Besides, they're animals.

They are dying.

Neil

Let them die.....

Yesssss - first in with e ST retort to Neil's ST quote.....

I impress myself somtimes.....

I was looking forward to Shore's take on Kong but I'm honestly not that hyped about the film itself. After the first trailer, it looks so-so. But then again, I'm not in awe of Peter Jackson's directorial abilities as it is (not that he's bad, I just find him a little overrated).

I was looking forward to Shore's take on Kong but I'm honestly not that hyped about the film itself.  After the first trailer, it looks so-so.  But then again, I'm not in awe of Peter Jackson's directorial abilities as it is (not that he's bad, I just find him a little overrated).

I'm more or less in the same boat. I love the original movie, and the trailer for this did nothing to impress me.

Neil

Besides, they're animals.

They are dying.

Neil

Let them die.....

Yesssss - first in with e ST retort to Neil's ST quote.....

I impress myself somtimes.....

Ah....Steef got in there before you like.......3 posts before you. :P

Do I have permission to cross the Neutral Zone?

Hitch, getting itchy chins.

Well at least they didn't get Brian Tyler or Hans Zimmer and his crew of 30 co-composers to re-score it.

I am disappointed, I was looking forward to Shore's score to this film and I did have faith that Peter Jackson could do Kong justice with his version after the awful 76 remake.

You can probably kiss a 70 min CD goodbye and settle on a 30 to 40 min version as well since it's going to recorded in LA now.

Oh well that's Hollywood.

****spoiler alert*****

I believe Shore was to appear in the film as well as the band leader when Kong is presented on stage and had composed a piece for that scene before recording the actual score. I wonder if PJ will have to reshoot that scene.

It's funny how there was only one major story that stemmed from Soundtrack.net, and now there's two pages of bullshit to accompany this thread.

No other news or information has surfaced, but yet we find a way to ruin everything :P

Tim

As I said on another forum - the official page still names Shore.....

I ain't buyin' this until Jackson or Shore says so......not for a second.....

UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif., Oct. 14 /PRNewswire/ -- Universal Pictures confirmed today that James Newton Howard will compose the original score for the dramatic adventure "King Kong," which is directed by triple Academy Award® winner Peter Jackson. Mr. Howard replaces Howard Shore, who is leaving the project.

Peter Jackson made the following statement: "I have greatly enjoyed my collaborations with Howard Shore, whose musical themes made immeasurable contributions to 'The Lord of the Rings' trilogy. During the last few weeks, Howard and I came to realize that we had differing creative aspirations for the score of 'King Kong.' Rather than waste time arguing with a friend and trying to unify our points of view, we decided amicably to let another composer score the film. I'm looking forward to working with James Newton Howard, a composer whose work I've long admired, and I thank Howard Shore, whose talent is surpassed only by his graciousness."

I respect both James Newton Howard and Howard Shore. However, James Newton Howard I know will get many other major motion pictures to score. I'm not so sure with Shore. I pray a talented composer like Shore doesn't simply fall into obscurity like Poledouris or Eidelman. Still the disengagment seemed like an honorable one unlike the somewhat mysterious release of Goldsmith from Timeline or the despicable release of Yared from Troy.

I'm glad to hear that at least some of Shore's score was recorded though. I'm ready to hear both. :P

Justin - Who would have prefered Shore's original style to JNH's (occasionally) generic one. (I'm comparing scores like LOTR to something like Atlantis and Outbreak. Not something like Signs or The Village.)

Well, to give an example in terms of Williams...

When Howard went to score Peter Pan, he kind of had lofty expectations to live up to because of what Williams did for Hook, and Howard didn't even come close. But that's not to say I don't like Howard on his own terms. I loved Signs, and The Village, and Snow Falling on Cedars. But when you are forced to compare him to someone like JW, he kinda falls short. If I'd never heard Hook, I would have a reworked opinion.

Then again, comparing the two Kong scores would be wholey different because Williams isn't in the equation. I am also curious as to how they stack up to each other.

Tim

*IT IS OFFICIAL NEWS*

My boyfriend (Emile) is the one that runs the JNH and Silvestri sites, and this is definitely official news.

JNH Studios contacted him with the news early today.

BTW, Emile doesn't put ANY news item on his site without first having official confirmation from JNH's or Silvestri's representatives.

Rest assured that anything announced on his sites is NOT pure speculation.

As to why this development took place, there wasn't info as to why.

Statement from Peter Jackson from the King Kong site:

"UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif., Oct. 14 /PRNewswire/ -- Universal Pictures confirmed today that James Newton Howard will compose the original score for the dramatic adventure "King Kong," which is directed by triple Academy Award® winner Peter Jackson. Mr. Howard replaces Howard Shore, who is leaving the project.

Peter Jackson made the following statement: "I have greatly enjoyed my collaborations with Howard Shore, whose musical themes made immeasurable contributions to 'The Lord of the Rings' trilogy. During the last few weeks, Howard and I came to realize that we had differing creative aspirations for the score of 'King Kong.' Rather than waste time arguing with a friend and trying to unify our points of view, we decided amicably to let another composer score the film. I'm looking forward to working with James Newton Howard, a composer whose work I've long admired, and I thank Howard Shore, whose talent is surpassed only by his graciousness."

So, yes, it is true. Great news for JNH, Jackson is a dynamic director. Though it does suck for Shore. Not really fair to him.

I also think Howard Shore is a fine composer, LOTR is close to a masterpiece.

We were taken by surprise, just like everyone. I thought the PJ/Shore collaboration was a tight as Spielberg/Williams. Something, obviously went wrong between them.

But, the prospect of JNH on a film like this is exciting. I'm certainly curious about his interpretation. Fans of his have been waiting for another chance for his to do a huge Waterworld type of score, maybe this is it.

I'm still mystified at what could have been such a big difference between Jackson and Shore that they couldn't work it out or rework the score, I mean it had already been substantially recorded?

I guess that will only become clear later when it's all said and done and we've heard JNH's and Shore's score (which will no doubt leak someday).

Greta

Years ago, when everyone (including myself) still doubted Shore was up the the LOTR task, it still would have been totally clear that a Kong remake screams for a Shore score.

Marian - :|

:music: Legend (Jerry Goldsmith)

Yeah I can't say when I see JNH name attached to a project I get excited.

Oh well sometimes a composer can come up with a pretty decent score in a short period: Goldsmith's AFO and Goldenthal's Interview With The Vampire.

Oh well sometimes a composer can come up with a pretty decent score in a short period: Goldsmith's AFO and Goldenthal's Interview With The Vampire.

Except James Newton Howard is not Jerry Goldsmith or Elliot Goldenthal.

Neil

Except James Newton Howard is not Jerry Goldsmith or Elliot Goldenthal.

Neil

Damn right. Best sig ever, by the way.

Just to be contrary, anybody else slightly wonder what a Silvestri King Kong might have been like?  

An intriguing idea...

Greta

How bout a John Williams Kong for that matter?

I could go for another round of a Lost World type score.

I hear they have fired JN Howard and asked kaiju maestro Akira Ifukube to come out of retirement at 92 years of age to show these Hollywood upstarts how it's done. :music:

Seriously though, I also have a hard time believing JN HOward will have the time to craft a score up to the same level as Shore. And I think JN HOward is an exceptional composer. Scores like Wyatt Earp, Signs, Unbreakable, Falling Down, Snow Falling on Cedars, etc. all bear his compositional stamp. But I cannot see how he can really come up with something as original as the aforementioned in this short time. Doesn't seem possible, even for the best composer....

P.s. I also would have loved to hear a Silvestri KONG.

Would it not be ironical for Shore to appear in a film while his music got kicked out?

Kinda like Richard Donner in a film he got fired from directing (even though half of it is still his).

Just to be contrary, anybody else slightly wonder what a Silvestri King Kong might have been like?

I was thinking the same thing. That could be quite awesome indeed.

Well,this confirms it.Shore will go back to scoring Cronenberg films and light comedies and that's that.His Box Office phase is already over.

K.M.Expecting Patrick Doyle's Box Office phase to be even shorter.