James Newton Howard scores King Kong?

Antineutrino

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just saw Hidalgo finally. I've had the score for a while. Wow! Pick this one up, very enjoyable.

A super Western adventure score. Sweeping grand themes, exciting action material, and cues with an Arabian flair. Ethnic instruments, exotic percussion...fun.

Works great in film, especially liked the end, where his romantic Old West themes sing out over scenes of wild mustangs en masse running free over grassy hills.

Greta

JNH is one of my favourite composers, so while I'm very disappointed for Shore (the prospect of having another LotR type score was huge), I'm now quite anticipating what Newton Howard will come up with, and I need a decent score from him after Batman Begins, which disappointed me.

My favourite scores by him are Signs, Dante's Peak, Falling Down, The Village, Dinosaur, Waterwold & Wyatt Earp. Hidalgo is also very good (the last 2 tracks take my breath away every time, although I thought the movie sucked) and I gave the bootleg of My Best Friend's Wedding a listen yesterday - it's a travesty it wasn't given a proper release ;)

Back to Dinosaur for a moment; it has many wonderful tracks:

-Inner Sanctum

-The Egg Travels - my favorite

-Aladar and Neera

-The Courtship

-Across the Desert

-Finding Water

-Epilogue (pretty much the same as Egg, but a better arrangement)

. . . and whichever track has that other theme played on strings, I think it's Breakout.

An excellent album, definately pick it up!

~Sturgis

I got it for 2€ some years ago. Overall enjoyable, but what bothers me is that parts of it sound really MV-ish (big blaring simple horn melody accompanied by orchestral hits, anyone?)

Actually John Frizzle did Dante's Peak, not James Newton Howard.

Actually, JNH wrote the theme and several cues from the film. Given that it's not clear which these are, I usually consider it to be mainly a work by him :)

So did Who Framed Roger Rabbit!

Yes, but I'm not talking about the few frames secretly inserted by the animators and later removed here, but about several other "official" bits of the movie.

Marian - :)

.....and I gave the bootleg of My Best Friend's Wedding a listen yesterday - it's a travesty it wasn't given a proper release :P

I love My Best Friend's Wedding. A wonderful romantic comedy score, my favorite of his after Dave. The boto is so annoying- it's got all the music I'll ever need, but the sound is just so goddamn low.

Come to think about howard shore score being rejected.... and that Howard Shore left, John Williams should have taken it over. Oh wait he busy doing something else...ah never mind.

Kingdom of Heaven.

Took me a while to get into it, and the movie was not so great either, but now I just love it. The devolopment of the themes throughout the score is amazing. And yes, it uses a real orchestra and a choir.

Kingdom of Heaven.

Took me a while to get into it, and the movie was not so great either, but now I just love it. The devolopment of the themes throughout the score is amazing. And yes, it uses a real orchestra and a choir.

You will pay for your lack of vision! :)

j/k BTW didnt it had casual MV drum beats? :|

PD: the best part of the score is the Jerry Goldsmith cue :P

j/k BTW didnt it had casual MV drum beats?  :)

No, it did not.

PD: the best part of the score is the Jerry Goldsmith cue :|

That is not true.

Kingdom of Heaven.

Im hearing some samples and its better than i remembered.

Maybe i get this one after all...

Yeah, the Jerry Goldsmith was THE best cue in the whole movie.

KINGDOM OF HEAVEN sucks. Let's hope the real thing isn't.

Hitch

For an old dead guy, you can say some pretty dumb things. But then again, your musical taste is notoriously bad, throwing Torn Courtain as you did.

For an old dead guy, you can say some pretty dumb things. But then again, your musical taste is notoriously bad, throwing Torn Courtain as you did.

For your information, I'm alive and well as any 106 year old would be. As for my taste in music, it is pretty bizarre. Franz Waxman scoring CHEWREBECCA, Dimitri Tiomkin scoring DIAL N FOR NECROPHILIACS, John Williams scoring THE CAST OF FAMILY TIES' PLOT, Ron Goodwin scoring FRENZOID, Maurice Jarre scoring TOP-ASSZ, but poor John Addison scoring TURN UP THOSE TORN CURTAINS was perhaps 40 years on, the greatest decision Universal and I ever did. That hack Herrmann was pestering me about lending him money for his transexual operation. I booted his leaded ass out of the recording studio after I heard that he was getting the loan from that spiteful small little man, DePalma. Naturally, DePalma decided to make a movie of our little spat and the end result was that awful mess DRESSED TO KILL A PSYCHO. Does for razorblades what PSYCHO did for shower nozzles! Gillette, the best a man can get!

For an old dead guy, you can say some pretty  

dumb things.

Really? I find my use of the English language quite tit-illating.

And anyway, find yourself a good blonde. :)

For an old dead guy, you can say some pretty  

dumb things.

Really? I find my use of the English language quite tit-illating.

And anyway, find yourself a good blonde. :)

There's a hot Swedish blonde in my journalism class and yesterday, she accused me of being "mean" to her and that our so-called "friendship" has been permanently scarred. Sounds like all the workings of a new Hitch film if you ask me.