Upcoming scores of interest

Pieter Boelen

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No...no, no, no, no, no, NOOOO! That is wrong, all wrong! Robert Downey Jr. as Sherlock Holmes, a crime-fighting martial artist? NO! You know what, just let Hans Zimmer score it, the film is going to be terrible anyways....

Hans Zimmer is slated to score the upcoming Sherlock Holmes film. I'm sure he'll enliven the detective movie genre the same way he breathed new life into the pirate movie genre with his fresh, original approach.

Ohh... great.

If he comes up with something fresh and original or a surprise like The Simpsons Movie then great, but otherwise I fear his popularity is going to stylise the music instead of the film.

Either this Sherlock Holmes film isn't going to be your typical Holmes film or the underscore will be bland wallpaper.

Oh well that's just one less score I have to worry about.

swear censor gone, or do my eyes deceive me?

Aw, look what you guys did! You made Marc feel so guilty about the bootleg ban that he turned off the profanity filter to make you guys feel better....I hope you all are happy with yourselves.

There are six million words in the English language, but there are seven you can't say on television. What a ratio that is! Six million to seven. They must be really bad. They must be outrageous words to be on the list. You know the words, don't you?

Shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker, and tits.

And tits doesn't even belong on the list. It sounds like a snack. I know, it is.

I never thought that would be permissible here. It still doesn't feel right. It feels dirty. So in the interest of a bastardized version of quasi-good taste, I put it in spoiler tags. Yinz know what it says.

Theses days only the f-word can't be said on cable television, and I suppose cunt and prick. But if South Park can get away with saying the n-word I'm sure they could pull those off.

That doesn't explain Damages, Sex and the City and some others. Has it changed?

Theses days only the f-word can't be said on cable television, and I suppose cunt and prick. But if South Park can get away with saying the n-word I'm sure they could pull those off.

That doesn't explain Damages, Sex and the City and some others. Has it changed?

What about those shows? Shows on FX can say "shit," and South Park doesn't bleep that out either. I think the FCC only cares about main broadcasting channels.

The FCC has no jurisdiction over cable tv. The reason that channels mostly refrain from "inappropriate material" is due to sponsors, not the FCC.

I just read that Marvin Hamlisch, best known for The Sting and The Spy Who Loved Me, is scoring Steven Soderbergh's The Informant, which stars Matt Damon and is due for release in October. It's Hamlisch's first feature film since Barbra Streisand's The Mirror Has Two Faces in 1996. He'll be collaborating with Alan and Marilyn Bergman on a song for a film. No word yet on a soundtrack release.

Interesting. Been a long time since he's scored a film, wonder if he's still got it in him. Never was a huge fan of his, but I was interested in the film a little so I'll end up hearing what he does eventually.

EDIT: I just checked and apparently he did some music for the doc "Every Little Step" but Alan is right that this is his first feature since '96. Interesting situation regardless.

• 3 weeks later...
No...no, no, no, no, no, NOOOO! That is wrong, all wrong! Robert Downey Jr. as Sherlock Holmes, a crime-fighting martial artist? NO! You know what, just let Hans Zimmer score it, the film is going to be terrible anyways....

You're right.

Just saw a trailer for it... :pukeface:

You're right.

Just saw a trailer for it... :pukeface:

Yeah, my response as well. The appropriation of the Sherlock Holmes name seems purely cynical, and Ritchie appears to have leeched the character of any charm whatsoever. Instead of equanimity and self-possession we get arrogance and profligate machismo. If this is the Sherlock Holmes for a new generation, I'm not sure what that says about this generation.

Judging from the trailer the new Sherlock Holmes film will be a piece of utter trash. I guess that kind of film was just begging for a HZ score.

This seems like a summer blockbuster type release, why is it out on Christmas day? That's the first thing that led me to believe it was going to be a drama. Is Guy Ritchie expecting this to be an Oscar contender?

It looks like a Jerry Bruckheimer production, no wonder the Zimmer score. I may be interested, but there are other movies coming out before then that I shall either love or loathe.

I think after this movie, it's back to the needle for Downey jr.

He sure has earned it; gracing lame potboilers with his apperance, he is becoming the movie star equivalent of Jerry Goldsmith.

• 2 weeks later...

Christopher Young's Drag Me To Hell will be released on Lakeshore Records on July 7th

http://www.amazon.com/Drag-Me-Hell-Origina...6469&sr=8-1

I just heard a few selections from it on Cinemagic on XM and it was great! The guys on At The Movies even mentioned the score in their review, and Joey recently said this;

Christopher Young's Drag Me to Hell is the best score I've heard in a long time, a long time.

They could still do it; Rowe and Cox are old enough to play their grown-up characters now. Just bring back Broughton and I'll be happy.

All the more reason for a sequel with Broughton scoring. I want to see an at least relatively major theatrical film with a Broughton score again. The man has gotten the shaft with the mainstream public, and I'd like to see him get a nice assignment.

Yeah he's one of several composers it would be nice to see scoring again, or in many cases, just scoring something decent (Debney?)

And you'd think a composer of all people would be supportive of getting music out there for fans. Was the music branch responsible for deciding to stop FYC promos? Broughton sounds very 'official' and not exactly modest in Dan Schweiger's interview a while back.

As I said earlier, it's a Guy Ritchie film score by Hans Zimmer.

What were you expecting?

A British composer to score it??? Like James Horner??? ;)

I'm disppointed that Richie took the Zimmer route to begin with. His 2 gangster movies were very character based and real 'down to earth' filmmaking IMO, and it seems he's taking a step in the wrong direction by making a film that needs a Zimmer score.

But then all we heard was standard trailer music - he could come up with another Simpsons styled score, you never know.

Indeed. Any movie with Daniel Craig, Colm Meaney and Sir Michael Gambon is worth watching.

I'm disppointed that Richie took the Zimmer route to begin with. His 2 gangster movies were very character based and real 'down to earth' filmmaking IMO, and it seems he's taking a step in the wrong direction by making a film that needs a Zimmer score.

But then all we heard was standard trailer music - he could come up with another Simpsons styled score, you never know.

I don't see why everyone is going ape shit over it. It's just Hans Zimmer scoring another action film. What's the big deal? Guy Ritchie has never been anything good outside of Snatch. I'm sure it'll be good, the score that is.

The trailer music btw was by E.S. Posthumus, which is better than your standard trailer music.

Guy Ritchie has never been anything good outside of Snatch.

Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels was just about as good