Lost

Mr. Breathmask

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand how episode titles are spoilers. Looking back at all the episode titles of episodes that have already aired, would knowing any of those ahead of time have ruined anything about the episodes?

Okay, sorry to sound like a broken record, but...WHERE THE **%@!%^$ ARE ROSE AND BERNARD?!

Hopefully they haven't just been pushed to the side this season and are off doing something useful by themselves or possibly with the Others. Vincent's with them as well.

Okay, sorry to sound like a broken record, but...WHERE THE **%@!%^$ ARE ROSE AND BERNARD?!

Well they have been pushed to the sidelines it seems although now that I think of it they have always been there. Both have kept popping up less and less while the show progresses. But let's hope they will be brought to fore soon so we can find out what happened to those who were left on the Island when O6 left.

And of course who could resist the level of their high brow reparte. :thumbup:

Since both of those actors don't live in Hawaii like the rest of the crew, they're not on as much

And the actress who plays Rose does plays like all the time

And that's okay. But they needed to develop a more satisfying way of keeping them off the show for a while than having them disappear inexplicably for three years, without anyone seeming to care.

Then again...I'll probably be biting my tongue once they return, because I'm sure they'll be brought back in some amazing way that makes me go "AHA!"

4. Amusingly, Michael Emerson is three years older than the actor who plays Roger Linus - makes watching the scene in the DHARMA van kinda weird. :thumbup:

Similarly, the actress playing Roger Thornhill's mother was actually a bit younger than Cary Grant was.

They don't spoil key plot points. At most, they give some indication of which characters we're probably going to be dealing with. Usually nothing more than that. But like I said, some of us like to go into the episode with as close to no information as possible. It's pretty fun to watch an episode with absolutely no expectations - aside from awesomeness, that is. ;)

Listened to the official LOST podcase while at the gym just now

• They confirmed that the Season Finale's title was

The Incident

• Confirmed that Amy's baby Ethan is THE Ethan
  • They said that what is behind the concrete wall in The Swan is pure energy, and that pushing the button every 108 minutes dispelled this energy. They made no reference to the Jughead bomb.
  • Confirmed that the redheaded girl Faraday thought was Charlotte when we last saw him in 1974 was in fact Charlotte. They also clarified something that was bugging me. In an episode last season, Ben was listing off things he knew about Charlotte, and one was that she was born in 1979 (making her 25ish when the scene took place, which was Dec 2004). But then how did they see a young Charlotte on the island in 1974, 5 years before she was born? Well, it was a production error made on the set. They always intended Charlotte to be in her mid-late 30's, and in the script Ben's line said she was born in 1970. But then they cast Rebecca Mader, who is in her 20's, and on the set, she told the guy playing Ben to say 1979 instead of 1970.

Bah, I stumbled across the finale title on accident while doing other stuff on Lostpedia. Oh well. Thanks for spoilerizing this stuff, guys, even if you don't find it to be spoilerific. :thumbup: I definitely would have preferred not to know that, but I'm not gonna lose sleep over it. In fact, I'll look forward to watching what has to be the most perfect premise for the finale of this particular season. The more I think about it, the more it seems like ideal fodder for yet another great Lost season finale.

In other news, anyone else think it seems a little weird that Ethan being born in 1977 makes him a mere 27 years old when 815 crashes? Even more unbelievable is him being 23 when he and Richard convince Juliet in Miami to join them. William Mapother is in his 40s.

I don't think this episode was that bad but it also falls under filler material. Yeah they could move the story along quicker but they have a set date so we are going to get these filler episodes that really don't move the story along that much.

I could do with more of these episodes. I like characters to have room to react to what's going on around them, and I like the conflicts between them to be explored a little bit before when hit the next plot point. The Jack/Sawyer confrontation was wonderful.

For a second I thought Juliet purposefully left Kate off the sub manifest to keep her away from Sawyer.

I hate it when they do that. Just sheer trickery for it's own sake.

Hey, it's teasing at its best. Isn't that what the whole show is all about?

Similarly, the actress playing Roger Thornhill's mother was actually a bit younger than Cary Grant was.

"That was mother."

I could do with more of these episodes. I like characters to have room to react to what's going on around them, and I like the conflicts between them to be explored a little bit before when hit the next plot point. The Jack/Sawyer confrontation was wonderful.

Agreed.

Hey, it's teasing at its best. Isn't that what the whole show is all about?

Agreed. People first complain about episodes being filler material and then they complain about those episodes building a little tension out of a situation pretty much every movie would've used the same way, too. Also, I didn't even see it as pointing a finger at Juliet so much, rather just some screw up that put Kate in an awkward and possibly dangerous situation.

This thing is still going? I quit watching after a few episodes of the first season. The backstory 'filler' stuff for every character got tiresome very quickly for me. Still, I suppose they have got to somehow justify its 60min(?) runtime.

My bad, I think it was the commercial breaks which dragged out the runtime. I did enjoy the episodes I watched, but every time that low rumble sound effect signalled yet another backstory, I soon switched off. It was a sound I actually began to dread, because just when the events on the island were hotting up another damn backstory would come along and interrupt the excitement. They really ruined the pacing, tiresomely so.

42 minutes. And the backstories were what made it good. The first season in particular was more about character psychology than anything else I've seen on TV.

Indeed.

I was more than 10 years not able to watch anything on television.

I'm glad that LOST came and changed my my mind: There could be challenging and clever , innovative televison.

Turns out it was NOT Rebecca Mader's fault that the age thing got screwed up!

An ugly dispute between Rebecca Mader and her former Lost bosses over the correct age of her late character, Charlotte, appears to have been settled. Thanks, in part, to, well, me.

But first, let's flash back to the most recent Lost podcast, during which exec producers Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse -- in attempting to explain how Faraday could have seen a young Charlotte in 1974 when she wasn't born until 1979 -- alleged that Mader changed the age of her character from 28 to 37 in an earlier script "because she did not really want to brand herself as 37, which is what she would have had to been had we stuck to the initial script."

Mader fired back on her Facebook page, accusing Team Darlton of throwing her under the bus. "The timeline error was their mistake," she harrumphed, "and they are making it out to be my fault. Not cool."

Reached for comment this evening, D&C now concede that they got their facts wrong. "Rebecca is absolutely right and we apologize to both her and the entire fan community for screwing up the story," the pair said in a joint email. "By way of explanation, here's what happened:

There were a gazillion questions about the timeline discrepancy in that young Charlotte clearly exists in 1974, but wasn't supposed to be born until 1979, per a single line of dialogue courtesy of Ben back in episode #402. When we inquired as to how this happened, the intel came back that we used Rebecca Mader's birthday, July 2, 1979 because she was actually eight years YOUNGER than the character as originally conceived/scripted. We misremembered this as having come from Rebecca herself on the set, but in fact, it came several days earlier when our continuity expert Gregg Nations pointed it out and suggested using Rebecca's actual birthday for Charlotte. And so, the mistake was OURS. Rebecca's production draft DID have the date as being 1979.

Our first mistake was the timeline gaffe, but the much more significant one was wrapping Rebecca up in this when she had nothing to do with it. Not her fault on any level. It was our bad. One hundred percent. We will say as much in a very special "Eating Crow" edition of our Podcast tomorrow. Speaking of which, what a wonderful world we live in where we can make a comment in a Podcast that triggers a response on someone's Facebook page and that triggers a mea culpa on someone else's blog. Ah, technology."

I'm glad that's settled.

From here

I was more than 10 years not able to watch anything on television.

I'm glad that LOST came and changed my my mind: There could be challenging and clever , innovative televison.

Not to criticize, but Lost is hardly the only challenging, clever, and innovative series to be on television in the past decade. The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood and a large number of other HBO series; the new Battlestar Galactica; Firefly (and, to a lesser extent, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel); and probably many others that I either don't watch or am not currently remembering.

Overall, I'd say television has been extremely challenging, clever, and innovative the past decade.

Turns out it was NOT Rebecca Mader's fault that the age thing got screwed up!

I could blame that woman for nothing.

Firefly is challenging in the sense that walking into a port-a-potty that's been used by 500 people before you is challenging.

So, you were sleeping too late to catch the smart train today, huh?

I had to look it up, but the Others information-getting-guy was from Deadwood! I knew I recognized him but couldn't figure it out on my own

F**K F**K f**K

I missed the episode because Survivor was on the wrong day and I got distracted by that new Williams theme on PBS

:):angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Awesome episode, awesome ending. I figured Sayid was planning on killing young Ben all along.

However, I thought that The Island would prevent him from being hurt entirely; Was surprised when Sayid pulled the trigger and he fell down (seemingly) dead! I'm sure The Island will just heal him, though.

I missed the episode because Survivor was on the wrong day and I got distracted by that new Williams theme on PBS

:) You give precedence to some crappy reality show like Survivor over one of the best scripted dramas of recent years?

I'm sure next few episodes will be like this.

An episode showing how Kate got to where she isand where Aaron is.

An episode showing how Hugo knew to get on the plane.

What the crap, Locke hasn't not been in the last 2 episodes!

:) You give precedence to some crappy reality show like Survivor over one of the best scripted dramas of recent years?

No, Survivor was at 8PM today but usually plays Thursday ,hence I got mixed up in my TV schedule and forgot about Lost . I might have noticed it switching channels but then the "Great Performances " theme thing got me distracted.

I'll watch it online ..

This was definitely the slowest episode in a while (somehow, Sayid's flashback episodes are almost always some of my least favorite), but the ending did make up for that. Total shocker, for me...it's not too surprising that it happened, I suppose, but that it happened so quickly and out of the blue was pretty unexpected. I can't see history changing course so radically though, so I agree that he can't be (permanently) dead.

Aside from major plot events, I'm really liking the relationship angle these last few episodes have been taking. Great way to breathe life into the four characters and their romances, with Sawyer and Juliet, the seemingly least likely pair, getting together and letting the others deal with adjusting to it.

That's why most movies suck these days, they all "pick up the pace" and fail to tell a story. I'm more worried about how the show will end as opposed to the journey they take.

Well we haven't seen Ben as an adult since he was shot as a youngster.

Or perhaps that's the reason why he chose Sayd or why he wiped out most of the Dharma group.

Okay, so I'm thinking this season can really pay off if all eventually leads to The Incident. I think the most rewarding aspect with be learning everything about The Swan. How it was built, why, and where. Hopefully we'll get some insight into Radzinsky and how he killed himself, as well as his map of the island. Way back in Season 2 the map was the thing that interested me the most, and then it literally blew away. This is a great way to return to it. And the most important thing that escaped my mind, not only will we learn what the incident was, there's a good chance we'll learn what the hell the numbers mean! The hieroglyphics on the countdown could also tell us more about the Natives.

My faith has been restored. :)

Also, didn't Charlotte say something happened and she had to leave the island? 10 bucks says the incident is the reason.

Well we haven't seen Ben as an adult since he was shot as a youngster.

Yes, we have...we saw him thirty years later, injured but very much alive on the Hydra island!

It's very, very easy to make the mistake of thinking of events in different time periods happening simultaneously if they are presented simultaneously. It's the Back to the Future version of time travel, where you can make a change to the past and that change will propagate to all time periods "at the same time." But if you stop and think about that, it doesn't make any sense...since when can events in 1977 and 2007 be simultaneous?

Let's say I'm Sayid, and I kill Ben at 11:55 pm on February 12, 1977. (Just making up numbers here.) In your way of thinking, adult Ben would disappear at that moment. But what is "that moment"? When does he disappear? 11:55 pm on February 12, 2007? 11:56 on February 12, 1977? 1:51 on January 6, 2342? None of these are at the same time as his death! They are ALL later!

This is difficult to explain. But the bottom line is that we cannot make the mistake of thinking of events in 1977 and 2007 as taking place simultaneously. And if the creators of LOST are making that mistake, shame on them.

But I enjoyed the episode, and I have a theory. :)

And the most important thing that escaped my mind, not only will we learn what the incident was, there's a good chance we'll learn what the hell the numbers mean!

The Lost Experience explains what the numbers mean.

Sri Lanka Video Explaining "The Numbers"

If doing stuff in the past works like how it did with Faraday and Desmond, wouldn't the adult Ben suddenly be remembering all this stuff with Sayid?

Young Ben will probably get some convenient amnesia after he heals. Who's to say time travel doesn't work that way?