Lost

Mr. Breathmask

I didn't notice any Jaws quote, but I'm very unfamiliar with the music aside from the main theme. I did, however, notice how awesome the music was in that scene. Giacchino is on a freakin' ROLL this season! :) Can't wait for the soundtrack...as we've discussed before, I really hope we won't have to wait another year.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea the music for the underwater scene also reminded me of the "Island Underwater" scene from LA X, not Jaws

Yeah, nothing says creepy like Gene Wilder from Willy Wonka. Next week should be most interesting. I think Locke from the sideways might be the key to the whole thing (though that's basically just conjecture as he's currently dead and is supposed to be "special." We'll see if this will have any payoff as it sure didn't for Walt).

I liked the Libby/Hurley scenes.

I'm beginning to lose comprehension of what's going on in the island main plot .Not good with so few episodes left.

Sadly my un-educated ass didn't recognize a single theme this week :)

My thoughts on the episode:

-Ilana blowing up made me and my girlfriend go "holy shit!" ... What was up with that? Again, just like Libby, they are going to kill a female character off before we get her backstory? Whaaaat?

-Explanation of the whispers: Cool. I buy it. Underwhelming, but I guess it makes sense

-Desmond down the well: No way he's dead

-Look on Sun's face when she realized Jin wasn't with F-Locke's camp: sadness!

-Desmond in the sideways (Hurley scenes): Loved it. He's on a mission, helping people see the real world!

-Final Desmond scene running over Locke: WTF???? Random!!! What does it all mean??? I kinda like a new mystery with all the explanations we've been getting

Sadly my un-educated ass didn't recognize a single theme this week :)

Off the top of my head we had at least one of Hurley's themes, Locke's theme, Smokey's theme, and Desmond's sideways theme.

so whay's the whispers...I didn't really get it apart that there's somekind of ghosts. Are they ghosts of people who died on the island when they were not needed anymore? Needed for what?

I did notice a theme playing when Desmond was talking to Hurley, and I was wondering if it was like a new "awakening" theme

Yeah, I definitely noticed a new motif at least once in the episode (can't remember exactly when though you're probably right about the chicken scene). If it is in fact new, I like it a lot and hope it really develops into a great theme. As I posted a few posts ago, I think the whole point of the Flash Sideways was to bring John Locke back to life, and if so I am really excited for the end of the series.

While I liked the couple of latest episodes I still feel a bit of detatched from the expierence. I'm kind of tired of them walking needlessly in the jungle all the time. You know, go to The Black Rock, go to the beach, go to Dharmaville, go to the beach, go to some random place to talk, go to the beach etc. It tries to build to something, but I'm not so sure... But then again the same problem had the final season of Battlestar Galactica. It is just so slow. And there are only six hours left...

Karol

My guess with Desmond running over Locke is simply that he's trying to get Locke to have a near-death experience, and thereby see the "truth" for himself.

I would guess further that this is going to put Locke squarely back in contact with Dr. Jack Shepherd.

Good episode. Jorge Garcia has done excellent work on this series, and hasn't gotten the credit he deserves for it.

I love how Lost gives us a character that has a major play in the story and then BAM, they're gone. It caught me off guard. I had to rewind the DVR, one of the things I love about about having one with live TV, and watch the scene again.

And Desmond

is not dead, he was in the preview for next week's episode. He's stuck in the well

I was somewhat disappointed by the explanation of the whispers. I still can't help but feel somewhat underwhelmed by this season so far.

Here's my theory:

When the sideways characters receive their "flash" of visions from the "main" reality, they see everything: Not just up until where they are now. In other words, even though its still only September 2004 in all the sideways stuff we've seen, their flashes can show them things that happened later in the main timeline (ie "Not Penny's Boat" happened in December 2004, Hurley and Libby's date would have been in November 2004, etc). I have a feeling Sideways Desmond had a vision of John Locke pushing him down the well in the main reality in 2007, so he tried to kill him in the sideways because of that. He didn't seem to figure out that it wasn't really Locke.

Good episode. Jorge Garcia has done excellent work on this series, and hasn't gotten the credit he deserves for it.

I love that he's taken a leadership position this season. Of all the characters to become a leader Hurley was probably the least expected. The switch in roles between him and Jack was great.

Jorge Garcia has done excellent work on this series, and hasn't gotten the credit he deserves for it.

Indeed, and he was particularly fine in this episode. Also two more standout moments from O'Quinn.

Wow.

Ilana going Artz (just after saying, like him, he knew what she was doing with the dynamite) was totally unexêcted; I never imagined she would go that way. As Mark (Olivarez), I very much appreciate that Lost can create such major characters, make us interested in them, make us expect much from tem, then suddenly pull the carpet under us by killing them off without warning.

I somewhat expected Puffy to push Desmond into the well, but did not quite believe he would-- and he did. It's somewhat along the line of Ilana's arc, though Desmond surely is not dead: he is presented several times as a key player that can save the universe, then he is abducted by Sayid (however willing to follow him he was, the fact is he was abducted), and the next thing we know: down the well with him! What can he do under there? Find the wheel and turn it, which will only move the Island and send him to the Desert in the future?

Pushing him may have been a big mistake, though, because this places him near a pocket of energy; I have no idea what he could do with it, but it seemed to be part of Widmore's plan.

The scenes with Libby were very good, and I loved the fact that her insanity was in fact her "remembering" her life in the other reality.

Jack has changed a lot, it seems to me that trusting Hugo with his very shaky non-plan takes a lot more faith than trusting Locke's intuitions about the Island or whatever Jacob could (really) say through Hugo.

Speaking of Jacob, what is he doing? I know he said he did not want to intervene, but he has already, and it is important to distinguish between the experiement (how will the group attracted to the Island behave?) and his mission (keeping Puffy on the Island): his non-intervention rule seems to be relevant in the former case only.

Puffy told Sawyer he was waiting for the others to come: did he expect them to, or did he have some foreknowledge they would?

Or was he just sure they would come after posing as Michael?

Yet Sawyer's scenes with him seem to point out exactly when Puffy was absent, and thus to exclude the moments when Hugo saw Michael.

Hadn't Christian told him on the freighter he was done?

Apparently not-- unless this was not really Michael.

Michael Emerson had little to do, but I liked his bemused Ben a lot-- walking through the jungle and reflecting on how (quickly) expendable people were once The Island was done with them.

Desmond's running over Locke was pretty drastic, and I can't see him doing it with everyone, especially as he will probably be identified and arrested.

- - - - -

Correction regarding Michael: I forgot that Puffy was now trapped in either Locke's shape or his Smoke shape.

But then, as I suggested earlier, maybe it's a matter of degree:

- he can only assume Locke's shape in a very physical way (which allows him to touch people and objects)

- he can still assume people's shape as a mirage (with no physical interaction, and only to those he intends to appear to)

I thought it was obvious that Michael was not actually Michael, because Hurley never heard whispers before he saw any dead people. We hear whispers whenever the smoke pops up in apparition form. He tells Hurley to blow up the Black Rock, thus riding of all the dynamite so the Ajira plane is safe, and even leads them straight to his camp, where he's been waiting for them. But then we get his sincere apology, and actual emotion, which I don't think has been seen with smoke apparitions before. What we've seen of the whispers throughout the entire show, though, does not sync up with what ghost Michael told us.

I'm lovin' Desmond's new theme.

I think Michael gave a bogus answer because he's actually the Smoke, although the Smoke isn't one to not give answers.

Michael pretty much said the whispers are all the dead people on the island, that can't leave. Sort of like a purgatory, or rather hell, for all the bad things they did.

I was somewhat disappointed by the explanation of the whispers. I still can't help but feel somewhat underwhelmed by this season so far.

I'm with you. Most of the big "answers" have been a bit on the lame side, or, at best, they've been underdeveloped.

The whispers being ghosts trapped on the island is a decent idea, but decent is all it is; it doesn't feel particularly connected to the rest of the series, and it also doesn't appear that it's going to end up making even the slightest bit of difference to the rest of the story. And that's what I fear from most of the mythology: that it's going to end up being largely irrelevant.

Like the temple. What was that shit all about?!? Meant nothing.

Season six is on track to easily be my least favorite season. It's still pretty good, though.

I'm thinking maybe they are "failed" candidates . When a candidate is brought to the island and fails to prove he can replace Jacob as keeper then they are killed and become whispers ,wandering souls with nowhere to go.

Meaning only 1 character can survive the season finale?

Plane crash>>>only candidates survive>>>>only one can live in the end

I think Walt's "specialness" might be addressed - even if only obliquely - through this kid and whatever answers we get about him.

Anyway, this wasn't my favorite episode, and I agree that the whispers were handled in a rather anticlimactic way...I'm not sure that's what the whispers actually are, though. Ilana's death was a definite surprise...wasn't expecting that. Jorge Garcia was great, of course, as was Terry O'Quinn. No surprises there. :)

I think it's really interesting how most of the dead people Hurley has seen have not been accompanied by whispers, and a lot of them have done things that suggested they opposed the MIB. (The most explicit one being Richard's girl telling them outright to stop him!) But Michael's appearance was accompanied by whispers, and he told Hurley to something that, at least at face value, seems to help the MIB. And we've heard the whispers around Christian over and over again...and when Walt told Locke to prevent Widmore's freighter from getting to the Island...so I'm thinking the whispers have to do with the MIB. (Except when they literally are just the Others whispering in the jungle...)

Maybe some people belong to Jacob when they die, and others belong to the MIB...both can appear in certain contexts, but only the latter are accompanied by whispers. I'm remembering Eko talking with Michael about hell as they cleaned up Libby's blood...boy, that'll be wild to re-watch if my theory somehow ends up correct.

So a question to everyone "disappointed"

How would you what you're disappointed about differently?

More clarity, less clutter. And if I couldn't come up with a more resonant explanation than the one they came up with for the whispers -- or if I couldn't figure out a more compelling way to present it -- then I'd just leave it unexplained. At least that way, it retains some mystery.

Look, I still love the show, but it's far from perfect. And the explanation of the whispers was a big piece of proof of that. The rest of the episode was too good for me to really care, but it's one of those things that's going to bug me when I'm rewatching past seasons. Sayid is gonna leave Rousseau's camp, hear those whipsers, and I'm gonna say to myself, "Okay, why do these lost souls give a tin shit about this Iraqui fellow? Why don't they make noise all the time?" And I'll know why: because the writers came up with something really cool with no particular notion of how they were going to resolve it.

Who knows, though; maybe the rest of the season will prove me wrong. I definitely don't think Michael was one of Smokie's incarnations, though; that would be even lamer, seeing as how he acted nothing like Smokie, and was also busy with Desmond during one of Michael's scenes.

The explanation of the whispers is perfect. It is great balance between outrageous and mundane and fits into the mythos of the show. I don't think you want the whispers to be aliens.

The delivery of that explanation, in a scene of exposition thrown in at random, sucked.

More clarity, less clutter.

Then it wouldn't be Lost. This is show that needs to be watched with a remote in one hand and Lostpedia in the other once it's all said and done. Its format has simply evolved out of the confines of the weekly serialized TV show.

Yep, the scene when they go through the tunnel. Delightfully creepy.

Did anyone catch watch Sun wrote to Jack at the beginning? I missed it.

And in the preview...

There's a note that says "You did this to me." So we know there's gonna be some good confrontation with the Smoke, not to mention explosions!

The explanation of the whispers is perfect. It is great balance between outrageous and mundane and fits into the mythos of the show. I don't think you want the whispers to be aliens.

The delivery of that explanation, in a scene of exposition thrown in at random, sucked.

That's a good way of putting it. The idea itself isn't that bad, though I still like the idea I had, where the whispers would be auditory artifacts of spirits/Monsters/apparitions teleporting or crossing from one dimension into another or whatever. Anyway, yeah, it was really just the way they threw it in so randomly and bluntly. "Oh, I think I know what the whispers are. Am I right? Okay, cool, mystery solved."

I disagree somewhat about the pacing, Koray. I think now we're getting something similar to the pace of season 4 or perhaps season 5, but for a while after this season's first episode, it was just agonizingly slow. So much time spent just sitting around the Temple, not doing...anything. At least in the olden days, when they didn't know what to do with the overarching plot, they'd come up with some amusing or interesting side story for an episode. The first half of this season just...dragged. It would have been dragging no matter whether it was the first season, the sixth season, or the twentieth.

I'm halfway through the episode now...and it's insane how perfect my timing is. Just yesterday I saw the last two episodes from season one, and the first from season 2...tons of callbacks. Season 6 is truely a return to the early days tonally.

The pacing at the beginning of this season was just the classic calm before the storm.

No matter how much preparation you do or don't do, when 0 hour is approaching there is a scramble to get as much set up and out of the way.

That's weird...clicking on it takes you to the last supper picture. I think that last supper is the better one. There's no sense in this one that they're actually standing together in this one.

About the voies- I really didn't need an answer for that one, and certainly not one that is presented in the most anti-climactic way possible.

The whispers being ghosts trapped on the island is a decent idea, but decent is all it is; it doesn't feel particularly connected to the rest of the series, and it also doesn't appear that it's going to end up making even the slightest bit of difference to the rest of the story. And that's what I fear from most of the mythology: that it's going to end up being largely irrelevant.

It ties in to the wine bottle analogy Jacob gives to the island in "Ab Aeterno". Another word for wine is spirits, and it makes sense for damned souls to be trapped on the island along with whatever "evil" Jacob said was contained on the island. Following that line of thought those trapped on the island might would be freed with the Smoke Monster escaping, which adds another dimension to the whole conflict. It's a good answer to the mystery and it does fit with the overarching mythology, whether or not it was handled well in the script is debatable.

It ties in to the wine bottle analogy Jacob gives to the island in "Ab Aeterno". Another word for wine is spirits, and it makes sense for damned souls to be trapped on the island along with whatever "evil" Jacob said was contained on the island. Following that line of thought those trapped on the island might would be freed with the Smoke Monster escaping, which adds another dimension to the whole conflict.

Oooohh-- good call.

I had an epiphany last night.

Smocke = Locke.

Why?

"My mother was crazy." + The Smoke Monster drawing when Richard visits young Locke.

And let's compare something else:

4x11_Locke%27sAnAngryChild.jpg

800px-MysyeriousKid.jpg

And one more thing, can I just say the cinematography in the big decision scene in this past episode was excellent, along with the music?