Lost

Mr. Breathmask

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bottom line is we have no way of knowing right now. Ben is alive, and he didn't seem to get evacuated, but that's not totally conclusive. We don't know why the Island is at the bottom of the ocean, but more or less intact - a nuke wouldn't do that. And with no evidence to suggest that Rose and Bernard were somehow different than all the other Losties, I'm assuming they're in 2007, too.

OH MAN! It just hit me, can't believe I didn't put 2 and 2 together. Jay, perhaps you could confirm this:

Cuse and Lindelof said a clue for the finale was "water, lots of water," right? Well, the island is at the bottom of the ocean! It's possible the island got sunk by some insane wave, or even storm (as they suggested Jacob might perform again on the podcast for Ab Aeterno). Hence why it's still intact, as Datameister said. Cause if it was Jughead, it would be in pieces.

I thought that was a pretty great episode, personally.

Not this this is news or anything, but, damn, how good is Terry O'Quinn? I don't know where his career goes from here, but if there's any justice, he'll start getting major film roles, or his own series, or something big. He's just too good to not be used frequently and in a big way.

Agreed. The man can REALLY act...at least in a role like this. I'd need to see more of his work to know exactly how versatile he is - all I've really seen is his bit in Alias, which wasn't all that un-Locke-like. But heck, even in this single show, he's tackled two different roles in a brilliant way.

OH MAN! It just hit me, can't believe I didn't put 2 and 2 together. Jay, perhaps you could confirm this:

Cuse and Lindelof said a clue for the finale was "water, lots of water," right? Well, the island is at the bottom of the ocean! It's possible the island got sunk by some insane wave, or even storm (as they suggested Jacob might perform again on the podcast for Ab Aeterno). Hence why it's still intact, as Datameister said. Cause if it was Jughead, it would be in pieces.

That's what I thought too, but then how on earth can you "sink" an Island? Islands don't float. It's obviously a fair way down underwater and unless the seas dramatically rose between 1977 and 2004 I can't imagine a storm or wave could submerge it so deep and still keep the barracks fairly intact. My theory is that the someone on the Donkey Wheel "moved" the Island one last time and relocated it an underwater chasm.

That's what I thought too, but then how on earth can you "sink" an Island? Islands don't float. It's obviously a fair way down underwater and unless the seas dramatically rose between 1977 and 2004 I can't imagine a storm or wave could submerge it so deep and still keep the barracks fairly intact. My theory is that the someone on the Donkey Wheel "moved" the Island one last time and relocated it an underwater chasm.

I would be unable to confirm that as I try to avoid spoilers. I don't consider anything officially put out - press releases, tv commercials, interviews, podcasts, promotional pictures - to be spoilers, so I see/listen to all those.

But true spoilers I really do try to avoid. Yea I know who the mysterious boy is, but that was an accident. Anything else I say about future episodes is pure speculation!

So I'll say this to both of your speculations as to why the island is underwater in the sideways: I like both your theories! Lol. I think they both... wait for it.... hold water :P

I may have missed it or I'm reading too much into it, but I don't recall anyone turning off the sound barrier before Jin and Sun reunited. I found that a bit strange.

I was almost expecting one of them to get zapped.

That's what everyone was saying on Lostpedia and elsewhere. You can hear it turn off before Jin even sees Sun.

Oh ok, I missed it.

Ah, yes.

"Water" is the key word Darlton said about the finale, and they did hint strongly in a podcast that there would be another storm on the show similar to the one Jacob made that caused the Black Rock to crash

I like magical's theory that in the sideways world someone turned the wheel and it moved the island underwater by accident (or maybe on purpose). I wonder if we'll ever see Sideways events from pre-Flight 815?

That's what everyone was saying on Lostpedia and elsewhere. You can hear it turn off before Jin even sees Sun.

Oh ok, I missed it.

Zoe, Widmore's second in command, actually talks to the walkie and tells them to turn the fences off.

I wonder if we'll ever see Sideways events from pre-Flight 815?

Interesting, but I'd say doubtful at this point. I think the only thing we'll see is the "sinking" of the island. All that really matters is that The Incident changed these people's lives, and thus what they would be like if 815 never crashed.

Ah, yes.

"Water" is the key word Darlton said about the finale, and they did hint strongly in a podcast that there would be another storm on the show similar to the one Jacob made that caused the Black Rock to crash

I think we can also expect

a vulcanic eruption.

Seriously.

Yep, Darlton also said in a podcast that the volcano mentioned briefly in Season 3 would make an appearance before the show ends.

I really should be watching and rewatching the show at the same time. This one felt terribly rushed, tripping over itself in an effort to get everything out there. Sun and Jin finally meet...in the absolute lamest emotional moment they've ever had.

The whole point is for Jacob to not interfere, that's why he had Richard.

Yes, that's what I wrote earlier (on this board, if I'm not mistaken).

There are two kinds of situations that need distinguishing, however, I believe:

- those that have to do with his debate with MiB and the unending experiment; he makes a point of not interfering, or only very very little, through Richard.

- those that have to do with his mission (making sure MiB never leaves the Island), in which he can and does intervene; he seems to have done much for Ilana and to have healed her so that she could go to the Island; he appeared to Hurley to make sure Jack and he would get out of the Temple before the massacre, and go to the Lighthouse.

Yep, Darlton also said in a podcast that the volcano mentioned briefly in Season 3 would make an appearance before the show ends.

They also mentioned working on visual effects shots for one of the final episodes that featured "many explosions." Funny thing, the season 3 episodes are not the first mention of vulcanic activity: early in season 2, Kate mentions the water in the Swan's shower smells a bit of sulfur and later on, Bernard flat out mentions a lava field half a mile from the beach (S.O.S.).

On another note, I rewatched Flashes Before Your Eyes today.

That episode got a lot of significance afterwards: the first case of time travel on the show. I do wonder how Eloise Hawking was privy to all the details of Desmond's life at a point in time when they hadn't happened yet. I can see how she would know she'd have to complete that mindfuck of a I-have-to-turn-my-son-into-a-mathematical-genius-so-I-can-kill-him-while-I'm-still-pregnant-with-him time loop, but this does raise some questions. I hope this will be adressed in more detail in the final episodes (although I'm not holding my breath).

Eloise is a Time Lord.

Also I've noticed Giacchino's style this season has become more Goldsmith than John Williams/Leitmotif.

He picks one major theme for the episodes and weaves everything else through it, unlike the past with the clear cut leitmotif structure.

Yeah, he has been treating each S6 episode like its own self-contained Goldsmith score, though I never thought of it that way till now. That makes each episode a little bit more musically monotonous...but the music itself is so freakin' great this season that I don't mind at all.

And we HAVE to get some answers about Eloise. She's too big a mystery. She is THE one who got the O6 back to the Island and she knows things about the future and other timelines...they can't just shrug that off. I'm wondering if we might get a Widmore/Eloise flashback...it'd be nice.

I don't think there will be any more flashbacks in the show. And I disagree that they need to explain Eloise any more. She's just a plot device who conveniently pushes the characters into the right direction for the real drama to unfold. With such few episodes left it's doubtful the mystery behind her will be satisfactorily explained anyway, so why not just keep her the enigmatic figure she already is? Actually, the Time Lord theory makes the most sense. She can perceive time in a way we can't. Man, that would be cool. :P

That goes with a lot of the mysteries that are unanswered and don't look to be addressed any time soon, like the numbers. We know they won't answer everything and I'm happy about that. It makes the show more exciting and mysterious.

It's a valid point of view, certainly, but I disagree. When you've got a character who was involved with one of the show's biggest bad-ish-but-now-sorta-good guys, and who has knowledge of the future and whatnot, and who was brought back to the show AFTER they'd settled on their end game, I can't help but think it'd be a little lame to leave that question 100% unanswered. This is not some minor mystery or plot element that's been abandoned in favor of more relevant storylines, and it's not something vague like the numbers where the mystery just makes it all the cooler. With Eloise, there can be a very real answer to the question, and I'd really like to get one.

Yeah, that's fair enough and I can now sort of see that it could be explained without much difficulty. I'm just more intrigued to find out the ultimate fates of the main characters (Ben, Locke, Sun, Jin, Jack, Sawyer, Hurley and Kate), and how they respond to the potentially epic events of the finale. The mysteries aren't that big a thing for me anymore.

Eloise is a Time Lord.

Also I've noticed Giacchino's style this season has become more Goldsmith than John Williams/Leitmotif.

He picks one major theme for the episodes and weaves everything else through it, unlike the past with the clear cut leitmotif structure.

I have not yet noticed this trend. I find that he continues to weave old and new material quite seamlessly together and using the appropriate leitmotifs for characters or situations in question. He of course adds new material into the mix and with some episodes the significance of these new things eclipses the old themes, like Richard's theme in his episode or the Temple theme in the early episodes.

Could you give me an example of this Goldsmithian approach? Perhaps I have not just paid enough attention to the music.

And yes. Eloise is a Time Lord. No matter what the Lostpedia says, her powers do not solely depend on her finding Daniel's journal which contained a lot of the information she passes on to the Losties. She seems to have some way of perceiving all the timelines and tries to keep things in check. Creepy authoritative woman. :P

I think what Blume meant is that for many of this season's episodes, Giacchino has developed a single new theme that's used throughout the episode. Even though most of them have quasi-leitmotivic meanings, they fact that they're introduced specifically for frequent use in those episodes and in some cases abandoned afterward lends them a more Goldsmith-like feeling...like each theme is the theme of an episode, not of a character or location or idea. This has happened in literally almost every S6 episode.

I think what Blume meant is that for many of this season's episodes, Giacchino has developed a single new theme that's used throughout the episode. Even though most of them have quasi-leitmotivic meanings, they fact that they're introduced specifically for frequent use in those episodes and in some cases abandoned afterward lends them a more Goldsmith-like feeling...like each theme is the theme of an episode, not of a character or location or idea. This has happened in literally almost every S6 episode.

Ah yes, that's true. The applicability of these new motifs is limited to single or a few episodes so I guess you could call it more Goldsmithian way to approach things, tackling each episode with a new episode contained musical idea. Also you could say the things these particular musical ideas are associated with disappear as the character or situation or thing disappears in the series as well. They bring about quite a heavy load of rapidly disappearing characters this season so their themes can't hang around with good conscience once they are gone. :P

Recently I have not been able to get the new MiB theme out of my head. I am refering to the one we heard in Ab Aeterno. What a cool counterpart for Jacob's theme. I want to hear more of it! The present time MiB's music is quite Lockean. MiB's ancinet theme is much more classic bad guy material. :P

I think it was a good episode, it helped pushing the narrative toward its final stage.

Did anyone else felt during the Jack/Sawyer confrontation that the two characters will end up being the substitutes for Jacob and the MIB? It seemed to me a kind of foreshadowing of the finale: Jack is now fully accepting his role as a candidate for taking Jacob's office, while Sawyer (who really wants to get off the Island, no matter what it'll cost) appears to be the one who'll take the post of the MIB.

If you like long and complex theories about the show, I suggest you to read this article on Larisa Aleksandrova's blog At Largely.

I think she's quite spot-on on various things.

I think it's easier to explain conceptual things with visuals:

concept.jpg

What you used to happen is a character or idea would show up, and depending on the interaction of that character with other characters/ideas, the appropriate themes would be called. That was our clear cut leitmotif structure, where we know exactly who, what, and why everything refers to.

In season 6, the leitmotif continues albeit a little bit more simplified as a substructure which is contained by and and interacts with an overarching theme in each episode. For instance in the Desmond episode, the music develops against/with the backdrop of Desmond's Cross-Universe motif/theme. In this very last episode the themes develop with/against the Destiny motif.

It's neat because it's forces the themes to develop in very interesting ways, than what we're used to hearing. For instance when Jack gathers the group in this past episode we hear elements of the Giacchino Submarine Music of Doom against the overarching Destiny motif. The cheeky theme sounds a lot more urgent this way. COOL! Right after that we see Locke's theme dance with the destiny theme when we he finds Sayid. Again cool stuff.

And it makes sense, this season the camera is zoomed out even further, we are seeing the characters/theme play in a bigger universe.

Sadly, it's actually even less, since those "hours" include an awful lot of commercial breaks.

The actual length of each episode is about 42 minutes.

So my friend read some big spoilers about the rest of the season, and in my failed effort to try and explain to him not to tell me anything, I learned that...

WARNING: MAJOR SPOILER

5 major characters die before the finale, 3 of which will die in the upcoming episode.

ROTFLMAO

It's pretty major, but it's not specific, I guess. I know that a certain event will be happening, but how or to whom or from whom or by whom, I have no idea. I don't think it's as bad as knowing who the jungle kid is, but I still advise not to read it. I just felt like letting someone know about my disadvantage. I've been waiting 6 years for this.

I just had a sort of epiphany if you will. Remember when the Man in Black said, "Just let me leave Jacob!"

Well think about it. The island is a cork....for "hell" and on it exist the whisperers, people unable to move on (supposedly in either direction).

Simmer on that for a little bit.

Did you come to the same conclusion? The MIB has been dead for a while.

Hmmm not a bad theory blume. But since he can take the form of others I somewhat doubt it. I dunno, but I'm sure we'll find out next week

You know what's great is that since I was on vacation last week I don't feel like it's been extra-long since the last new episode :lol:

Here's the press release for tomorrow's episode

JACK IS SUSPICIOUS OF LOCKE'S INTENTIONS WHEN HE'S ASKED TO FOLLOW THROUGH ON A DIFFICULT TASK, ON ABC'S "LOST"

"The Candidate" - Jack must decide whether or not to trust Locke after he is asked to follow through on a difficult task, on "Lost," TUESDAY, MAY 4 (9:00-10:02 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

"Lost" stars Naveen Andrews as Sayid, Nestor Carbonell as Richard Alpert, Emilie de Ravin as Claire, Michael Emerson as Ben, Jeff Fahey as Frank Lapidus, Matthew Fox as Jack, Jorge Garcia as Hurley, Josh Holloway as Sawyer, Daniel Dae Kim as Jin, Yunjin Kim as Sun, Ken Leung as Miles, Evangeline Lilly as Kate, Terry O'Quinn as Locke and Zuleikha Robinson as Ilana.

Guest starring are Alan Dale as Charles Widmore, Kevin Tighe as Anthony Cooper, Sam Anderson as Bernard, Katey Sagal as Helen, Fred Koehler as Seamus, Maile Holck as nurse, Casey Adams as Wheeler, Ken Elliott as orderly, Christopher McGahan as Paul and Alan Seabock as sub captain.

"The Candidate" was written by Elizabeth Sarnoff & Jim Galasso and directed by Jack Bender.

"Lost" is broadcast in 720 Progressive (720P), ABC's selected HDTV format, with 5.1-channel surround sound. A TV parental guideline will be assigned closer to airdate.

For more information on "Lost," visit ABC.com

Clip 1:

Clip 2: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=VcEct9EMNYw

19 pictures: http://b3rt4.iimmgg....98f9a22ab062a06

Looking at those pictures, does it seem to anybody else that

Jack will be walking around with dynamite on his back the whole episode?