James Horner vs. Hans Zimmer

MSM

James Horner vs. Hans Zimmer  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Who's music do you like better, generally?

• James Horner's
    • Hans Zimmer's

Two composers who receive a lot of critique, especially from people who like John Williams' music. Arguments are the unoriginality (Horner) or the effectiveness yet lack of subtlety of their scores. While James Horner used to be the main focus of bashing, in recent times more negative comments are heard about Zimmer, which might be due to the fact that James Horner hardly seems to be productive any more these days.

Of course both composers have written scores and tracks that are of outstanding quality and popularity. Some people are as much fan of Horner and/or Zimmer as they are of Williams. But I want to consider the general tendency in this poll, which cannot be denied, regardless of whether or not it is justified.

So, which composer do you prefer? Is Hans Zimmer the new James Horner, or is Horner still the Xerox machine among film composers?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that both have their formidable pluses, and both have very formidable minuses (I know that this statement will annoy Dave...but I just don't think Zimmer's sense of excitement with most scores is obviously beaten by Horner's unquestionable musical abilities and structure). I suspect I'd choose Horner over Zimmer if push came to shove, but I love both too much (and have too many reservations about both) to pick one over the other. Both are essential to my film music love, and I've be a lot sadder without either of them.

Horner has written excellent music, some really great scores. Even some of his derivative scores have their share of great stuff (Willow comes to mind). Zimmer has done some nice stuff, and a few cues I somewhat admire, but after a few listens, even those just seem "inspired" but not necessarily too accomplished.

So, a clear vote for Horner. Although I have to say, recently I've been positively surprised by Zimmer while I've (for the time at least) pretty much given up on Horner after Troy.

Horner by a billion miles.

His recent track "Flight of the Griffin" on the Spiderwick Chronicles is Classic Horner and better than anything Zimmer ever composed

regardless of the source of Horner's music, it is music,

zimmer makes ugly noise.

I'll take Horner's copying and tired repetative composing over Zimmer's drivel any day of the week.

Me too. Horner at least knows how to write for orchestra even when he's not being totally original. And like it or not, he's got to be one of THE most effective dramatists in the history of film scoring. He is able to marry music to image remarkably well. He can also compose a 20 minute cue and make it sound cohesive. Props to James. I really do wish he would do more these days. I for one really like Spiderwick Chronicles.

zimmer makes ugly noise.

Joe, truer words have never been spoken so well. God bless you!

I voted Horner -- because Zimmer hasn't even gotten within shouting distance of writing a score as good as The Wrath of Khan.

On the other hand, I've got more faith in Zimmer writing a good score in '09 than I do in Horner doing the same.

Horner is a better composer, that's for sure, even though I seem to enjoy a comparable amount of scores from both of them.

zimmer makes ugly noise.

Fortunatelly, you are wrong being that categorical. On the other hand, it's your damn right to live in denial.

I won't say anything new: Horner.

Some of his scores (whether co-composed with Prokofiev or not) are already classics. And he still clearly is above most composers working today. And, to add to that, he's in a good form recently. I really like All The Kings Men, The Legend of Zorro, The New World, The Flightplan and Spiderwick Chronicles.

Karol

zimmer makes ugly noise.

Joe, truer words have never been spoken so well. God bless you!

Joe: line 1 - perfectly valid

line 2: bullsh!t

I vote for Horner because he clearly is better trained than Zimmer, and his best stuff really gets to you. Zimmer's best stuff to me is merely very good, but it rarely gets under my skin like Horner.

Not sure expletives are necessary. Joe's acerbic comments aside, Horner writes circles around Zimmer in the orchestral arena. In terms of electronics, Horner is also very competent but I will give Zimmer props for having a solid understanding of synths- his earlier scores reveal a keen sensitivity toward this.

Zimmer's musical understanding is, given his background, much more limited than Horner's since Horner has more training than probably anyone working at the moment except for Williams and Goldenthal. Like it or not, this does have an impact on his ability to write in large forms, compose music that is cohesive, and functions really well within the film.

Horner- For writing some very timeless melodies, and, eventually creating a body of work that I respect. I really wish "Hyperspace and Resolution" was used on Aliens after hearing it again today. Also- many of Horner's second tier scores (Searching For Bobby Fischer, Sneakers, The Rocketeer) absolutely stand their ground, and even at times surpass Zimmer's first tier scores (Though this is obviously subjective as to what score fits in what tier, obviously). Zimmer is only becoming more of a force, however, and Horner slowly fading away. And Hans has written some very good music, even within the last few years, so I think he's slowly closing the gap.

Here's to hoping JH writes a kickass score to Avatar. Hopefully Cameron pushes him to the max.

Dave there are times when you bring too much class and sensibility to threads. :)

That's the trouble with Dave. He's so sensible about things, that his Zimmer-bashing (generally not vitriolic, unlike many others) is the only kind that actually got me to think about Zimmer's stuff. I still love his music, but Dave helped me hone in and focus on what I love and hate about his music.

Although Dave, while everything you say about Horner is true, his long-form writing with symphonic aspirations is unparalleled today, but I think that his greatest flaws are far more crippling than you give them credit for. If the man was truely writing these elegant pieces without his endlessly frustrating trademarks, I think he'd probably be the great film composer alive. At the moment, most Horner scores require me to compromise one side of my musical tastes for another. Horner is by far the most frustrating film composer ever, in my book.

Oh if I had the musical education that Dave does I would bore you death with my long winded rants about Zimmer so I just keep it short and simple. :)

Dave there are times when you bring too much class and sensibility to threads. :)

That's the trouble with Dave. He's so sensible about things, that his Zimmer-bashing (generally not vitriolic, unlike many others) is the only kind that actually got me to think about Zimmer's stuff. I still love his music, but Dave helped me hone in and focus on what I love and hate about his music.

Although Dave, while everything you say about Horner is true, his long-form writing with symphonic aspirations is unparalleled today, but I think that his greatest flaws are far more crippling than you give them credit for. If the man was truely writing these elegant pieces without his endlessly frustrating trademarks, I think he'd probably be the great film composer alive. At the moment, most Horner scores require me to compromise one side of my musical tastes for another. Horner is by far the most frustrating film composer ever, in my book.

I do agree Morlock. I wonder though if Horner just cannot divorce himself from the huge body of classical works he's obviously studied in his youth. Perhaps he just thinks in these terms because that's all he knows. He does have a specific "sound" and certain chord choices and even trademark modulations that he uses from score to score and he does have an outstanding command of the orchestra. Technically, he's right up there with Williams. In fact, like you said, if he'd gone a route that was a little more original, he would be the greatest film composer working aside from Williams.

I'll take Horner's copying and tired repetative composing over Zimmer's drivel any day of the week.

Ditto.

Ditto indeed.

I find the very issue of the vs. scenerio here especially ludicrous. Zimmer loses instantly, no two which ways about it.

I impulsively voted Zimmer - 1) because I have an aversion to Horner in general and 2) I feel like someone needs to carry Zimmer's torch in this den of acidic prejudice against him.

But the fact is, I like more Zimmer scores than Horner scores. Is that logical, fair, smart, morally justifiable? I don't know. I completely concede that Horner is a skilled composer, and has a more advanced understanding of the orchestra than does Zimmer.

Complexity may be good for study and analysis - but sometimes the simplest things are the most effective (or in this case, aesthetically enjoyable).

Zimmer it is. *shields self to avoid the catapulted flaming debris*

I don't like Horner because I can study his music. I love it because the penultimate track from Field of Dreams brings tears to my eyes, the opening track to Rocketeer makes me wanted to drive really fast, Too Many Secrets from Sneakers continues to amaze me, and parts of Braveheart totally get the blood pumping. Horner is a skilled dramatist and composes music that you feel first and foremost. Zimmer's music has NEVER elicited much emotion from me and I have heard almost every score he's composed.

As Good As It Gets scored by Horner would have been amazing. Scored by Zimmer, the music feels oddly detached and actually kind of hurts the film to me.

Of course James Horner. Sure he's fallen quite a bit in recent years, but he has done more than enough great work to beat Zimmer (who I also don't generally hate).

For every good or decent score written by Zimmer, such as The Lion King, Gladiator, or At World's End, there are at least three or good four good or decent scores by Horner. Wrath of Khan is a perennial favorite here, but Search for Spock isn't too shabby, and neither are Krull, Willow, Apollo 13, The Land Before Time, An American Tail, and Titanic.

For every good or decent score written by Zimmer, such as The Lion King, Gladiator, or At World's End, there are at least three or good four good or decent scores by Horner. Wrath of Khan is a perennial favorite here, but Search for Spock isn't too shabby, and neither are Krull, Willow, Apollo 13, The Land Before Time, An American Tail, and Titanic.

Still there are clear faults in Horner's writing. And he leans heavily on his orchestrators.

Hans Zimmer!

He writes not very good music and admits it...

James Horner thinks he is doing real art.. as he said in so many interviews LOL!

It's true. Beside Zimmer is a JW fan! :pukeface:

Hans Zimmer!

He writes not very good music and admits it...

James Horner thinks he is doing real art.. as he said in so many interviews LOL!

But the question is "Who's music do you like better, generally?". :pukeface:

I have no innate hatred of, well, any composer really. At one time in the not so distant past I might have said that I enjoy Zimmer almost as much as Williams. The simple fact is, the more I listen to Williams, Goldsmith, Horner and others the less and less satisfied I am with Zimmer and his ilk.