Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

I knew it!

I'm legit shocked! Did not see this coming at all, thought Rian was a shoe-in. I'm not unhappy with the announcement though.

Very strange turn of events overall. I wonder if this makes the May release more likely, with an experienced director back in the frame who already did a Star Wars ST film?

I would have preferred Rian Johnson of course, and I can say that without needing to have seen Episode 8 first.

But I also don't really care about Star Wars that much any more, so I don't really care much either way.

Just now, crumbs said:

I'm legit shocked! Did not see this coming at all, but I'm not unhappy with the announcement.

Very strange turn of events.

I called it yesterday!

22 hours ago, Jay said:

Maybe the reason JJ Abrams hasn't directed another film since TFA is because he knew Trevorrow would fail and he wants to take over on Ep 9

2 minutes ago, Jay said:
22 hours ago, Jay said:

Maybe the reason JJ Abrams hasn't directed another film since TFA is because he knew Trevorrow would fail and he wants to take over on Ep 9

Yep you totally called it but I remember thinking 'JJ is sooo done with the series after VII'. Guess he wants another JW collaboration. ;)

2 minutes ago, toothless said:

Well…

I hope episode VIII soundtrack is outstanding then :P

What if the TLJ score is significantly better than TFA? :P

Just now, Baby Jane Hudson said:

The Joan Crawford Fan Network (JCfan) will be like FSM, only bitchier.

BTW, the movie the "amen" shot is from is All About Eve, a great movie and one Davis' greatest roles.  Check it out.

I predicted Rian and JJ had first right of refusal on this gig, and only if both directors turned it down would they look elsewhere. Looks like I was on the money: it appears Rian turned it down :( and JJ agreed! :)

EXCLUSIVE: Rian Johnson decided not to take the offer to come back and replace the recently departed Colin Trevorrow on Star Wars: Episode IX. Now, Disney and LucasFilm are courting another director for an encore, the one who relaunched the franchise to dizzying heights. Deadline hears the studio is in talks with JJ Abrams, and sources said they are trying to work out a deal for him to return. This is expected to happen today.

http://deadline.com/2017/09/jj-abrams-star-wars-episode-9-director-colin-trevorrow-lucasfilm-disney-1202167681/

Didn't Rian tweet a few months back that he'd do another Star Wars in a heartbeat?

Just now, Disco Stu said:

BTW, the movie the "amen" shot is from is All About Eve, a great movie and one Davis' greatest roles.  Check it out.

I've yet to see All About Eve (waiting for Fox Classics to air it), but her look in that film is distinctive enough that I recognise when it's a shot of her from that film.

11 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I'm legit shocked! Did not see this coming at all, thought Rian was a shoe-in. I'm not unhappy with the announcement though.

Very strange turn of events overall. I wonder if this makes the May release more likely, with an experienced director back in the frame who already did a Star Wars ST film?

J.J's return makes a delay to December 2019 more likely, I think. He was able to convince Kathleen Kennedy and Bob Iger to move TFA from May to December 2015 so that they could have time to work on the film. And it ended up grossing $2 billion worldwide.

14 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

JJ Abrams is writing and directing Episode IX.  I'm basically ok with it.  No one else will be, haha.

http://www.starwars.com/news/j-j-abrams-to-write-and-direct-star-wars-episode-ix

What's interesting is that Chris Terrio is co-writing. 

Rather horrifyingly, JJ's co-writer on this will be Chris Terrio, writer of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

...was nobody else available?

Also LOL if JW passes on the final film because he doesn't want to relive the rewriting nightmare that was TFA.

I just hope we don't end up with a movie sooooo original that all the behind the scenes videos have to say is "we wanted to go back to [something + original trilogy]" and nothing else. But JJ Abrams did well with TFA as it was not easy to restart such a Trilogy. It's a safe choice, that's what it is. Just hope JW will return and that the soundtrack WILL NOT BE BURIED UNDER THE SOUND DESIGN ! :D

4 minutes ago, Matt C said:

What's interesting is that Chris Terrio is co-writing. 

I was about to ask "Who is this guy ? :)"

And then…

Just now, crumbs said:

Rather horrifyingly, JJ's co-writer on this will be Chris Terrio, writer of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

:mellow:

The writing credits on Episode IX should be interesting. I wonder whether Abrams and Terrio will use anything from Trevorrow & Donnelly's drafts, as well as Jack Thorne's.

10 minutes ago, crumbs said:

...was nobody else available?

Great finale, Rey standing on Kylo's neck, dragging her lightsaber across his face, when he shouts out "MARA! You've got to save MARA!

Wow. I thought for certain that Johnson would get the job. I'm fine with Abrams, though. TFA wasn't without its flaws, especially its rather derivative storyline, but it was a stunningly gorgeous-looking film with engaging characters, and a great way to jump-start a dying franchise.

Lol. Already on Twitter, there are Abrams haters who think episode IX will be a reboot of ROTJ. Do they not know anything about the filmmaking process?

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

Great finale, Rey standing on Kylo's neck, dragging her lightsaber across his face, when he shouts out "MARA! You've got to save MARA!

Fuck, you beat me to it!

10 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Also LOL if JW passes on the final film because he doesn't want to relive the rewriting nightmare that was TFA.

Well, he does not look like someone who has been through a nightmare. I mean, I know it's just marketing but He would have said less things if he wasn't that happy with the process.

https://youtu.be/fIfWfengo3E?t=5m27s

26 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Good news as far as I'm concerned. Especially since he will be able to correct any of the mistakes Rian Johnson might have made...

After reading Johnson's TLJ script, JJ said he wished he was directing it. So, at the very least, Abrams has probably been thinking about what Episode IX could be for a few years now.

I'm really bummed Johnson wouldn't at least collaborate with Abrams on the story. I guess he wasn't interested in writing a script unless he was directing? Who knows, maybe he told Disney he needed more time and they couldn't budge, whereas JJ felt he could still bring everything together for the May 2019 release.

On reflection, this news will end up a real bummer if TLJ ends up being a radical step-up from what Abrams did with TFA, which was overall pretty good but not particularly exceptional in any respect (with mundane locations, production design, writing and cinematography).

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Really? Some individual shots were nice I guess. 

It has a few nice shits but mostly it has a waxy washe dout look that isn't very nice.

Rogue One looked much, much better.

Stunning is a stretch... the film's not poorly shot; it looks great, but there's some very odd shot choices in places (capped off by that terrible final shot).

As already mentioned, Rogue One (even The Last Jedi from what we've seen) are significant improvements on the cinematography of The Force Awakens.

19 minutes ago, Matt C said:

The Force Awakens had some stunning cinematography. Dan Mindel was on his game with that movie.

I agree with you.  I think it's gorgeous.  I have issues with most movies Abrams has made, but the visuals are never one of them.