The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration Part III CD & DVD (And Ultimate Collection CD / VINYL box set)

The Psycho Pianist

I'm wondering if he did tinkering for ALL of these tracks - you never know!

It'll be great to have him revisit some of the stuff he wrote when he was crazily busy in the early 2000s like The Terminal and Minority Report!

I wager most of these are concert suites whether similar to those found JW'ss albums or the versions he specifically prepared for performances later, preferably the latter.

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

I'm sure the sound quality will be superior. I think our old 1991 and 1995 CDs desperately needed a new fresh remasterized HD release.

Are you kidding me? The 1995 release, in particular, is a bonafide HiFi release. Easily one I pop in to 'test' a stereo system!

Lets hope the tracklist isnt final. And that a revised list is eventually put up later. Hoping for The Lost Word Theme and Irina's Theme to be included as well. Disc 4 could be some documentary or a plain Interview cd. 

As I suspected earlier that Disc 1 & 2 could have been re-issue of the old Sony albums, Let's hope they are remastered and upgraded the volume a notch higher.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

So I thought I'd go through Spielberg and Williams' film collaborations (so, skipping over Amazing Stories) and list which pieces were elected to be recorded on these 3 volumes (and which film shave been completely ignored so far)

You're missing A TIMELESS CALL from your list. If you count AN UNFINISHED JOURNEY, you should count that.

It was my no. 1 wish for this release, but I realize it was a farfetched one.

I would also have loved to hear him revisit A.I., THE LOST WORLD and WAR OF THE WORLDS, but you can't have everything, I guess. The track listing looks nice enough. I'm curious about how different they will sound from the original recordings. If it's anything like the rearrangements of HOOK on the 95 album, I'm excited.

35 minutes ago, Thor said:

Are you kidding me? The 1995 release, in particular, is a bonafide HiFi release. Easily one I pop in to 'test' a stereo system!

It's mixed too quietly in my opinion.

If I put almost any other CD in my system after listening to the '95 release, without turning down the volume first, I'm blasted across the room like Marty in Back to the Future.

37 minutes ago, Thor said:

You're missing A TIMELESS CALL from your list. If you count AN UNFINISHED JOURNEY, you should count that.

You're right!  Fixed!

37 minutes ago, Thor said:

If it's anything like the rearrangements of HOOK on the 95 album, I'm excited.

Those arrangements are so spectacular!

Just now, rough cut said:

Finally!!! A JW recording ofMarion's Theme!!! :):):)

I want Irina's Theme!!!

2 hours ago, Incanus said:

Although I miss Irina's theme. I would have taken that over the Adventures of Mutt any day. :(

I don't mind a new recording of "Mutt". :) This could be a semi-new arrangement... there's a bit in the Finale that's not in the stand-alone track... what is that passage BTW? Panflutes?

6 minutes ago, rough cut said:

I don't mind a new recording of "Mutt". :) This could be a semi-new arrangement... there's a bit in the Finale that's not in the stand-alone track... what is that passage BTW? Panflutes?

No. No panflutes there. Just standard symphony orchestra.

I really wanted The Lost World and A.I. 

War of the Worlds is missing too.

Other than that, looks good! I'm surprised they thought of revisiting Minority Report. What a wonderful surprise. A New Beginning is one of the very best! 

I really wonder what the second version of With Malice Toward None is and why did JW choose to include it twice on the album.

Also the inclusion of the single movement of Immigration and Building from Unfinished Journey feels a bit odd to me. I know it is a Spielberg/Williams collaboration but to my mind there would have been a lot of priorities over one movement from a six movement work which JW has already re-recorded in its entirety.

7 minutes ago, Incanus said:

I really wonder what the second version of With Malice Toward None is and why did JW choose to include it twice on the album.

I suggested a narrated version with the actual text wrote by Abraham Lincoln.

I wonder what the ACTUAL name of this new compilation is?  For now, all we can call it is "John Williams & Steven Spielberg: The Ultimate Collection", which is the name for the 4disc box with the other volumes. Hmmmm.

9 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I suggested a narrated version with the actual text wrote by Abraham Lincoln.

Well that is one possibility certainly. :) 

7 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Aren't there two versions on the OS as well? One piano, one orchestral probably. 

There are quite a few incarnations of the music for Lincoln in concert form. Maurizio suggested on the previous page the trumpet version written for Christopher Martin (the Chicago Symphony's principal trumpet) for the 4th of July celebrations. There is a longer string orchestra version which is the one Williams performed with the Boston Pops. And the piano one etc etc.

Just now, Incanus said:

Well that is one possibility certainly. :) 

Narrated by Daniel Day-Lewis... or by an ex-President... Who knows.

I think it's more relevant for this kind of release, than a piano solo version, like on the OST.

Certainly more relevant and more likely. Could also be with a different soloist as JW is fond of doing such things like in Stepmom where there is the Days Between end credits suite with Christopher Parkening on guitar and one with John Ellis on oboe or the like in Munich where Thoughts of Home and Avner and Daphna are essentially the same piece but the first one has solo cello part and the latter solo oboe.

He's not an ex-President quite yet but Obama would be perfect for something like that.  As I recently learned, he's already performed the spoken word part of Copland's Lincoln Portrait before.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

He's not an ex-President quite yet but Obama would be perfect for something like that.  As I recently learned, he's already performed the spoken word part of Copland's Lincoln Portrait before.

Again, what a horrible idea.

Well, Bill Clinton spoke the words during the first screening of AN UNFINISHED JOURNEY by the Washington memorial on New Year's in 99, so how about calling him back up for this? :) 

How about just hire Sam Waterston or Daniel Day-Lewis for the job. 

Anyway, I hope there's no narration.

But then again, this is Sony Classical that did Angela's Ashes, so... Who knows?

If there has to be narration, then the obvious choice would be DDL. 

I don't think JW would want the same piece of music on the CD twice, once with narration and once without.  It's more likely they are different arrangements, or Amazon messed up the track listing and there is no 16th track (or track 4 is actually something else, etc).

4 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I hope it will be this cello and string orchestra arrangement on this new album. As I said before I love that version.

Very disappointing... no AI and no Lost World and the fact that the new music isn't available as its own individual release.  AI and LW are the two greatest Spielberg themes he's written since the release of the 2nd Spielberg collaboration CD.  And why Marion's Theme?  That was already covered in the Raider's March.  Why not the Ark Theme instead?  Or Penitent Man Will Pass from LC?

Because in 2008 he wrote a new arrangement of Marion's Theme that is quite gorgeous.

Everything on here seems to be pieces he's already played for audiences in concerts.  I don't think he's ever written an Ark Theme arrangement before.

34 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Yes... TBH Lincoln is not of a favourite Johnny score for me... too much americana. I would have rather had a new recording of "The Adventure Continues" from Tintin.

Just now, rough cut said:

Yes... TBH Lincoln is not of a favourite Johnny score for me... too much americana. I would have rather had a new recording of "The Adventure Continues" from Tintin.

That's "The Duel"

3 minutes ago, rough cut said:

That's what "The Duel" is.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Because in 2008 he wrote a new arrangement of Marion's Theme that is quite gorgeous.

Has that been recorded before? Can we hear that somewhere? 

Recorded in a studio?  Not that I know of.

There are plenty of audience recordings on youtube, of course . Have been for 9 years and counting!

Just now, Jay said:

Recorded in a studio?  Not that I know of.

There are plenty of audience recordings on youtube, of course . Have been for 9 years and counting!

Including this one from quite a familiar person......