The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration Part III CD & DVD (And Ultimate Collection CD / VINYL box set)

The Psycho Pianist

I'm really glad the majority of the material is from after the release of the first two albums. That was my biggest concern over this new entry. And I'm surprised and very happy about the inclusion of A New Beginning from Minority Report!

Having seen quite a few Williams concerts in recent years, this will also be a great souvenir of a lot of the pieces he regularly conducts, like The Duel, Adventures of Mutt, Dartmoor, and so on.

There are changes I'd make to this selection, of course, but all things considered I'm happy with it!

I thought the version found in the first track of the first Spielberg Williams Collaboration CD was great enough! 

But yeah, this is slightly different, and great too!

11 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

I thought the version found in the first track of the first Spielberg Williams Collaboration CD was great enough! 

But yeah, this is slightly different, and great too!

You mean the bridge section of the Raiders March? I never considered it a true concert arrangement of Marion's theme.

I am glad Spielberg persuaded Williams to prepare this special suite after the KotCS release when they were doing an Indy concert together with IIRC the Boston Pops.

36 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I don't think there actually will be narration, but it would be a good choice.  Lincoln's 2nd inaugural address (the "with malice toward none" speech) is one of the great speeches and I find it incredibly inspirational and relevant today.

Anyway, Obama would be perfect because, like Lincoln, he's a politician who came up through Illinois politics (both serving in different houses of the state legislature) and he already absolutely idolizes and has deeply studied the life of Lincoln. And also because, naturally, both are very important figures in the history of striving for equality for minorities in the USA.

That would be brilliant!  The stately demeanor of that piece could lend well to dialogue accompaniment.  Though if Obama were involved, we'd have heard about it by now I imagine.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I'm wondering if he did tinkering for ALL of these tracks - you never know!

It's unlikely, but one can hope! Fingers crossed for at least some new arrangements. 

I wonder if 2/3rds of the royalties go to the Boston Pops and 1/3 to the LA guys.  That would be odd since most people are buying for the new recordings.

So strange Sony isn't selling this outside of the bundle.

50 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I don't think there actually will be narration, but it would be a good choice.  Lincoln's 2nd inaugural address (the "with malice toward none" speech) is one of the great speeches and I find it incredibly inspirational and relevant today.

Indeed. It's not even really the meaning of the words that attracts me, but more the incredibly poetic quality. It's always transfixed me.

2 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

What? Bundle?

You mean this CD won't be released on its own? We have to get the 4 disc set?

Correct.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

My Sony rep just confirmed that the 4 disc version is the only version planned to be sold at this time.

35 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

And I'm surprised and very happy about the inclusion of A New Beginning from Minority Report!

Has that ever been performed in concert? 

5 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

I really can't believe that.

Maybe it's not up on amazon yet, but I'm pretty sure we'll be able to get it outside the bundle as well. Eventually.

What?  You are claiming either I am lying, or my Sony rep is?  Why?

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

No. Just what I said.

Even your rep said "at this time."

11 minutes ago, Will said:

Has that ever been performed in concert? 

There's certainly no record I can find of it.  It's easily one of my 5 favorite tracks from any Williams OST of the last 20 years.  I love that score in general.

In fact, the first new thread I ever created here was just to sing the praises of that track:

7 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

No. Just what I said.

Even your rep said "at this time."

Well, who knows what the future will bring, but its clear they have one release plan in mind for now.

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

There's certainly no record I can find of it.  It's easily one of my 5 favorite tracks from any Williams OST of the last 20 years.  I love that score in general.

Did you ever notice that "A New Beginning" is nothing more than a repeat of OST track 1 ("Minority Report")'s ending section (3:30-end, though with a loop inserted from 2:26-2:52) much like he did on the Jurassic Park OST?

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Well, of course!

You're part of the JWFan establishment. ;)

1 minute ago, Josh500 said:

I'm starting to hope that "Steven Spielberg & John Williams: The Adventure Continues" is a bonus CD, with a  bunch of other tracks, including pieces from A.I. and TLW and WotW! :P

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Disc 4 is an interview DVD.

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Did you ever notice that "A New Beginning" is nothing more than a repeat of OST track 1 ("Minority Report")'s ending section (3:30-end, though with a loop inserted from 2:26-2:52) much like he did on the Jurassic Park OST?

It was pointed out to me on this very forum (possibly by you) in the first new thread I ever created :D (I edited my post to link to that thread).

I wonder if this is just that track or if he's done a revised arrangement.

Remember, even in cases where the OST has something that feels natural as a suite, Williams often does something different, if only a little bit, for concerts.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

It doesn't.

Oh, did you officially confirm the DVD speculation?

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Disc 4 is an interview DVD.

2 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

You're very pessimistic, Jay.

Huh? What?  Why?  All I am doing is sharing knowledge of this release.  Would you prefer if I kept it all to myself?

Sorry to hear the 3rd volume is not available outside the set. It would have been nice to have it up on the shelf alongside the first two. I'm not double-dipping. So I'm hoping it will be available as a download. I can live with that.

27 minutes ago, Jay said:

All I am doing is sharing knowledge of this release. 

And thank you for doing so!

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

Sorry to hear the 3rd volume is not available outside the set. It would have been nice to have it up on the shelf alongside the first two. I'm not double-dipping. So I'm hoping it will be available as a download. I can live with that.

Well, if it's any indication the Sony SW set last year released the physical stuff in box sets, but the digital scores were available individually, IIRC.

13 minutes ago, Thor said:

5 hours ago, Jay said:

It will CERTAINLY be available digitally - all their release are.

I may end up just buying the set. After all, I don't own the first two CDs so I wouldn't be double dipping.

I like buying all the new JW releases on CD. 

Unfortunately, that might delay me purchasing EOTS, Home Alone, etc. from LLL. 

We'll see. The Pops release might factor in as well.

12 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

I'd bet it'll be based on the second half of 8m2. And I would expect it to be a new arrangement, given how short the original is.

I am guessing its either "8m1 A New Beginning" or "8m1 Alt A New Beginning (Piano Version)", possibly with some new arranging.

I'd love for it to be the whole end credits suite though!

If it is indeed based on the material from 8m1 A New Beginning / End Credits second half, then it's an interesting choice, given that the material isn't representative of the rest of the score, even if it's an obvious highlight. I wonder if Williams wrote that material last, given that the rest of the score leans on Sean's Theme for most of the sentimental moments.

Good list but very annoyed 2 of my favourite Williams scores in the last few decades, A.I. and The Lost World, are completely unrepresented! 

The former I can understand (I don't think Williams has revisited that score with any new arrangements) but we still don't have a studio recording of his updated TLW concert suite, with the brilliant new opening and extended bridge. It was literally the one piece I'd hoped more than any other would be on this collection, to "complete" the availability of all material written for that film, so I'm pretty disappointed by its omission (especially when other films are getting multiple versions of the same track, which are likely re-recordings of existing OST arrangements).

A.I. was ripe for a fresh arrangement of Monica or the Blue Fairy's theme, some of the most stunning music written by any composer this century.

As others have speculated, I wonder if he felt less inclined to revisit those scores after recently approving complete releases?

1 hour ago, Will said:

I may end up just buying the set. After all, I don't own the first two CDs so I wouldn't be double dipping.

I like buying all the new JW releases on CD. 

Unfortunately, that might delay me purchasing EOTS, Home Alone, etc. from LLL. 

We'll see. The Pops release might factor in as well.

Just my two cents, but I think these Spielberg compilations take precedence if you don't own them. The first two volumes are foundational releases for how I get pulled deeper and deeper into Williams obsession.  They're fantastic performances and cover such a wide range of films.  Besides there's a bonus DVD!

$31 really isn't a bad price for three CDs (and a DVD!) at all. 

It's really only frustrating to those of us who already own the first two CDs. 

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's really only frustrating to those of us who already own the first two CDs. 

Drop it. Really. 1991 and 1995 CDs are totally OBSOLETE.

4 disk Set and we can't get the new recordings alone?

Since they can't get us with Star Wars, it should be called:

The Final Sony Classical John Williams Fan Screw Over Compilation

too bad no Irina's Theme and Lost World Concert Version .At least there's Marion's Theme

I read the previous posts of this thread and I really understand why no one on this forum seems to have privileged contacts with people working at Sony or with JW entourage!

Almost every Sony Classical JW release has had questionable decisions or something off putting about them.

whether it's screwing up the TPM UE, adding 1 new recording to a 10 c.d. compilation of old stuff, or not releasing music they do have  (proper releases of the the SW prequels and OT), we've been frustrated by them for years