How do you rate The Witches of Eastwick?

Josh500

How do you rate The Witches of Eastwick?   

24 members have voted

1. 1. The score.

• 5 stars
    • 4,5 stars
    • 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 star
    • I don't know this score.
  2. 2. The movie

Gotta be honest, I have never seen the movie and I barely know the score.

The only thing I know and appreciate is the main theme, which is quite nice. Catchy, memorable, spell-binding (pun intended). I'm trying to get into this score, so tell me what you all like about it! What are the best moments/cues from this score?

4½ stars for the score. I have loved this one ever since I heard the Dance of the Witches when I was 16 or 17. It took me almost a decade after that to finally get a copy since the original CD was long out of print.

One of Williams' better comedic entries with those fantasy and devilish overtones. Supremely playful and The Dance of the Witches aka Devil's Dance is just classic hummable Williams and I love all the setpieces which have a sort of witty knowing playful quality to them. I also love the interplay between Daryl's theme and the Witches' theme throughout the score and Johnny finds time to write a little croaking motif for the cherries and a gorgeous magic/flying theme (The Ballroom Scene) as well.

The film 3½ stars. Jack Nicholson playing a horny little devil is actually fun to watch.

46 minutes ago, Richard said:

THE SEDUCTION OF SUKI AND THE BALLROOM SCENE, is the single most beautiful cue that the man's ever written.

Are you serious? 

This is your number one favourite track out of all of JW's scores?

4 for score, 4.5 for film. Love both dearly, probably my favourite Miller after the MAD MAXes. Williams is doing his "Herrmann schtick".

8 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

The score isn't just brilliant comedic writing and fanciful exaggerated romanticism which fits perfectly with the film it serves. IMHO, it's one of Williams' absolute masterworks in terms of orchestration and harmonic language. It's dazzling as pure music to the point it goes well beyond its filmic nature.

It's always nice to see such excitement and admiration for a score. Makes one want to match that sentiment and appreciate it also.

So which are your favourite tracks? Also Seduction of Suki? 

4 hours ago, Richard said:

Did I post that? I don't remember posting that, and I'm the one who did the posting.

You see the question mark? It's a sign that I'm asking you....

7 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Are you serious? 

This is your number one favourite track out of all of JW's scores?

I might be inclined to agree. Easily in my top 5 JW tracks.

34 minutes ago, Richard said:

To simplify things, the answer is "no".

Well, it was a justified question, since you yourself posted...

8 hours ago, Richard said:

THE SEDUCTION OF SUKI AND THE BALLROOM SCENE, is the single most beautiful cue that the man's ever written.

2 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

If the Jurassic Park theme has become practically synonymous and forever associated with dinosaurs, I'm surprised this one hasn't become synonymous and associated with wicked witches! 

Who says it hasn't?

13 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

I have yet to witness any civilians humming it to themselves!

Yeah, because you encounter so many people humming the dino theme from Jurassic Park? 😂 

11 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Yeah, because you encounter so many people humming the dino theme from Jurassic Park? 😂 

Yes!....because I have a Jurassic Park hat, a Jurassic World t-shirt and I wear them regularly. And because my Bryce Dallas Howard infatuation is fairly infamous. 

8 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Yes!....because I have a Jurassic Park hat, a Jurassic World t-shirt and I wear them regularly. And because my Bryce Dallas Howard infatuation is fairly infamous. 

But that's just you.

I'm talking about civil people in general. ;)

8 hours ago, TownerFan said:

The score isn't just brilliant comedic writing and fanciful exaggerated romanticism which fits perfectly with the film it serves. IMHO, it's one of Williams' absolute masterworks in terms of orchestration and harmonic language. It's dazzling as pure music to the point it goes well beyond its filmic nature.

It's so far from the average Williams score and there is an unusual playful viciousness to it that reminds me of a mixture of Goldsmith's Omen and Joe Dante scores.

One of my 10 favourites!

50 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

It's so far from the average Williams score and there is an unusual playful viciousness to it that reminds me of a mixture of Goldsmith's Omen and Joe Dante scores.

Now that you mention it, it is a bit reminiscent of Gremlins

The playfulness, mischievousness, the viciousness...

4.5 score, 3 movie. 

The score finds Williams back in 'Dracula'/'Jane Eyre' territory with a New England twist, and the title theme and its ingenious riffing on classical composer's satanic music (i. e. 'Danse macabre', Night on Bald Mountain'and 'Symphonie fantastique') shows 'academia' Williams at the height of his powers (small wonder for this troubled production).

This discussion makes me want to watch the movie, although I couldn't care less about its subject matter. Three bored (and I guess horny) witches in suburbia getting seduced one after another? I wonder whether this movie was the inspiration for Charmed. At least, in Charmed the witches were hot... well, relatively. 

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

So Cher, Susan Sarandon and Michelle Pfeiffer weren't hot?

If we're talking just hotness, I prefer Charmed... even without the JW score... 😍😂

images.jpeg

images (1).jpeg

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Cher is a required taste perhaps, but Pheiffer and Sarandon looked stunning in their prime!

Michelle Pfeiffer sure was stunning, but Susan Sarandon? To each his own! 

A young Michelle Pfeiffer:

images (2).jpeg