SPOILER TALK: Avengers: Endgame

John

40 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

You got to be kidding. that set fat people back a generation. It was horrible. Oh who am I kidding the gay bear fans all are getting aroused by it.

It's a shame they killed Jeff Bridges' character in the original Iron Man, because he played a dead ringer for Thor's Dude impersonation in this movie. 

16 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

You are amusing

Yeah and you're just another generic member of the precious/pretentious JWFans club, but why are we bothering to point out what we already know about each other.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Lebowski Thor and Bro-Hulk were awesome!

The film earned a lot of points for the character work it did post-snap. I liked seeing Earth's Mightiest Heroes traumatized after their failure.

Easily the best thing about the film.

Karol

Oh I didn't mean the first act per se but the fact the entire film was so focused on character as opposed to (largely nonsensical) plot. Second act is also a part of that.

Karol

39 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

They're not really acts, though.

The film doesn't really have a three-act structure, and there's nothing wrong with that.

It has 3 distinct sections, which I will refer to as acts.

51 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Oh I didn't mean the first act per se but the fact the entire film was so focused on character as opposed to (largely nonsensical) plot. Second act is also a part of that.

Karol

That's what Infinity War did also, and it's a good thing.

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It has 3 distinct sections, which I will refer to as acts.

The three-act structure denotes a certain proportion, though. Its a short-long-short structure. Here, you can divide the film almost by thirds. They're not acts, per se.

And again, there's nothing wrong with that.

9 hours ago, xWxzek said:

I guess that GotG 3 will be about making Gamorra fall back in love with Quail because she wasn't at the funeral scene. Though Thor would be a fun addition. 

Zzzzzz.

Its a very natural thing for the first and third act to be short. During the first act, the story proper is yet to begin, so naturally you'd want that period to not be too long. The climax, too, cannot be very long, or you get Endgame on your hands.

So its not some formula or anything like that. Its just common sense.

But there are stories where it takes over a third of the runtime for the main story to begin in earnst. The Good, The Bad and the Ugly does it; Braveheart does it. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone does it, District 9 does it, and Endgame does it.

Done right, there's nothing wrong with that, as is indeed the case with Endgame.

Like I said, there's nothing wrong with stories where it takes a long time for the plot to come together, if done right. In Endgame, for instance, you know that eventually something will be done to reverse Thanos' snap, so that buys the good-will of the audience, as it were.

That first hour is one of the best things Marvel has ever pulled off. 

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

That's what Infinity War did also, and it's a good thing.

Really? From my experience, Infinity War had almost zero character. Aside from the obligatory gags and decently developed Thanos, it was mostly just moving pieces around and setting up the ending.

Absurd plot aside, it was nice seeing an emphasis on character and personality here.

25 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

That first hour is one of the best things Marvel has ever pulled off. 

The Leftovers did all that better anyway ;)

US Domestic Gross of 357,115,007.00

Foreign Gross of 866,526,407.00

Total Gross to date 1,223,641,414.00

Just got back from it.

About as satisfying an experience as you'd expect, even for someone like me who just casually follows these movies. I'm definitely not a Marvel fanatic like some of these geeky whackjobs you see online, but it's nice just witnessing this pop culture phenomenon come to a resolution. In fact the only Marvel comic I've ever read was a Howard the Duck one!

While watching this, I couldn't help distracting myself with parallels I noticed with other franchises, especially Stargate SG-1, which this movie seems to borrow a lot from the end of the eighth season. The makers of that show spent a lot of episodes at that time tying up loose ends and giving resolution to a long running series in a highly satisfying manner in the episodes Reckoning, Threads and Moebius. To me, Avengers: Endgame felt like a repeat of these episodes in terms of story ideas and the overall tone/feeling. For example after the team uses the stargate system and a doomsday machine build by the Ancients to destroy the Replicators, Anubis wants to use the device to destroy all live in the universe and rekindle it all over again to his own "grand design". And in Moebius, the two-part finale, the team uses an Ancient time machine to travel to Ancient Egypt in a "time heist" to nick a Zero Point Module from Ra.

What I'm getting at here is... Avengers: Endgame is just the same as these Stargate SG-1 episodes, only stacked and arranged differently. But it just goes to show how certain stories are continually recycled over and over. But yeah, this movie was very Stargate to me.

Anyhoo, a few other things:

- Cap saying "You've gotta be shitting me!" Language, Rogers! 2012 Cap seems pretty square in comparison to the looser, older Rogers.

- The final battle, fuck they made it a literal ground battle. That's just too easy and gets a bit boring for me. Resembled Ready Player One a bit too much to me.

- I dunno about Stark's final act of genocide against Thanos and his army. Shameful, Tony.

- Gwennith Paltrow's looking a bit... older, I think. I dunno but she's really starting to look her age now.

- This Captain Marvel chick seems a bit unpleasant and po-faced in real life but she's alright in the movie. I'm just relieved though that it wasn't her that made the fatal blow on Thanos. She's a newbie to the franchise, let her earn her stripes over the next 20 movies, if these movies go that far. There's a real risk that lots of people will lose interest after this movie unless they pull off a second, uh, "phase"? "Saga"? Call it what you will.

- A neurotic Thor, omg. He says "shit" too!

- So Rogers had that hammer all those years. What did he do with it all that time? And how can that flying dude be the next Cap since he doesn't have super soldier powers?

- Nerdy Hulk, hehehe!

- So the final five minutes is devoted to Steve Rogers. Is he the true lead of this saga?

- They forgot Edward Norton in the curtain call at the end!

More later.

I finally saw this today, in IMAX 3D on the biggest screen in the UK!

I came into this as not really much of a massive Marvel fan, I’ve seen all the films apart from GoTG 1&2, and most of them rank someone between the not great (Thor 2, Iron Man 3) to pretty good (Doctor Strange, AoU). I didn’t enjoy Infinity War that much but I thought Endgame was a satisfactory conclusion to this phase of Marvel movies. 

Main positives:

- Robert Downey Jnr gave it his all and got the story his character probably deserved

- Captain Marvel was handled tastefully. I was worried she might have ended up killing Thanos. It was bizarre that she disappeared in the middle of the film though, but it allowed the “originals” to shine.

- Alan Silvestri’s score, especially in the final third of the film was great.

- Generally not a fan of Marvel humour but Korg’s little cameo was genuinely entertaining

- Paul Rudd was great, I hope that’s not him done as Ant Man

Main negatives:

- The film was far too long and for me it didn’t justify that running time.

- I found the whole time travelling/quantum realm stuff really

confusing

- I don’t think my eyes have rolled so hard at something like they did at that #feminism #girlpower bit during the battle

- Tom Holland’s Spider-Man continues to be really irritating

- I sat through the end credits for nothing!

I liked the sound bit of Tony constructing his first suit after the end credits. A poignant way of bringing the saga full circle. 

In the next phase of Marvel I want:

-more space fantasy

-more sorcery

Since we already know they're making GOTG3 and an Eternals movie, plus Captain Marvel 2 will probably involve the Kree and/or Skrulls, more space fantasy is assured.

I assume Doctor Strange is now one of the core Marvel players, so also more sorcery!  I love it when they talk about realms and sanctums and give cool-sounding proper names to inanimate objects, like The Folding Chair of Nykalemnon or something.

More of that stuff.

So who will the new core team be?

Captain Marvel

Doctor Strange

Falcon

Spider-Man

Black Panther?

I suppose no more from Ant-Man? I guess his little story is over with?

Bucky? I suppose he'll buddy up with Falcon.

This is all a mess. I'd like to see some conflict and chemistry between these new team members but they all seem like new kids awkwardly forced to stand next to eachother and play.

1 hour ago, The Original said:

Captain Marvel

Doctor Strange

Falcon

Spider-Man

Black Panther?

This is all a mess. I'd like to see some conflict and chemistry between these new team members but they all seem like new kids awkwardly forced to stand next to eachother and play.

Black Panther will more than likely be effectively the leader of the new crop.  Just by reason of being the most successful debut of a character since Iron Man.

17 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Now the X-Men can be included. And the fantastic 4

The theory that I've seen, and I wish I had thought of it during the film, is that a certain gamma-radiated snap induced a mutation in people who returned to the world of the living. 

The problem with that idea is that it loses the decades of back story with Magneto in a concentration camp and other mutants hiding from the public eye. 

Of course, they could have just done a very good job of hiding. But this snap is a good clean start. 

1 hour ago, The Original said:

Captain Marvel

Doctor Strange

Falcon

Spider-Man

Black Panther?

Bucky has never been a character. He's basically a human MacGuffin.