It will be mainly about Lincoln shouting to his cabinet members.

Calling Captain Hallmark! There is work to be done on Important Historical Figure® - execution must contain hammy speechifying, desaturated american flags and people with either grave-important or weepy faces that everyone gets just HOW important this is.

Don't you know that the latest research tells us, that is how people lived and acted back then, mere 150 years ago. 19th century is better known as the Posturing Age. The Hallmark pictures are just very accurately researched that's all.

Plus I am expecting Abe to use as much swear words as Al Swearengen from Deadwood. It was the time of dichotomy in spoken language where people talked like Shakespeare and cursed worse that dock workers from South Hampton.

This looks like a great action movie!

And it has great lines! Makes me proud to be American!

Oh, and Lincoln's dance move at 1:17 is so fucking cool! I wanna do the Lincoln dance!

outgll.jpg

Looks like he is conducting.

Great little trailer, got me excited for the movie more than the first one. Awful music though.

Surprised they haven't shown Joseph Gordon Levitt more in either trailer

It would be a dream come true.

And Williams would probably write a much more zesty score for it! ;

Another favourite starting at 04:30:

[media=]

ROTFLMAO

That was intense stuff. Michael Caine really sells his bee love with that speech. I just don't know how he could keep straight face with that stuff though. A fat paycheck most likely.

Aside from the generic bombastic music and the awfully rhetoric title card montage (but, hey, this was packaged for primetime TV audiences), I think this trailer looks more engaging than the previous one. There seems to be more cinematic "sauce". We'll see.

Awful music and some shoddy editing, but this trailer makes the film seem a lot more promising the last one.

The first trailer was obviously a calmer and thoughtful one compared to this, where we have the finger waving political action going on to the tune of generic trailer music, which makes the images more bloated than Williams' warm and stately music from the first one.

Lots of screenings next week.

Monday at the New York Film Festival: http://www.deadline....-film-festival/

Wednesday at 10 different AMC theaters across the country, followed by a Q&A with Spielberg and Day-Lewis: http://www.comingsoo...ws.php?id=95366

The first trailer was obviously a calmer and thoughtful one compared to this, where we have the finger waving political action going on to the tune of generic trailer music, which makes the images more bloated than Williams' warm and stately music from the first one.

Indeed. But finger waving politcal action seems a lot more interesting than some of the cringe-worthy lines in the former trailer.

Bad trailer. Although I like the delivery on the last line by DDL. Aside from that, it's a 180 from the last trailer, which worked a million times better than this thing.

This IMDb thread has Twitter reactions from the New York Film Festival screening: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443272/board/nest/205470486

Overall, pretty typical reactions for Spielberg. Mostly positive, some glowing, some not so much. Lots of praise for DDL and Tommy Lee Jones. No mention of Williams.

This IMDb thread has Twitter reactions from the New York Film Festival screening: http://www.imdb.com/.../nest/205470486

Overall, pretty typical reactions for Spielberg. Mostly positive, some glowing, some not so much. Lots of praise for DDL and Tommy Lee Jones. No mention of Williams.

Painted in a musty brown and blue, cinematographerJanusz Kamiński does a commendable job of making an inherently unattractive palette look borderline beautiful, especially when dealing with the tonalities of chiaroscuro, but a mostly ugly palette it ultimately is. Thankfully, John Williams' score, easily the worst offender in Spielberg’s “War Horse,” is, like the picture, solemn, well-controlled and moving with a dignified air of grace.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/nyff-steven-spielbergs-in-progress-lincoln-screening-is-oscar-contender-20121008

Unfortunately, critics hate Williams scores for the reasons we love them. Loud, bombastic, heavily mixed.

So I think this just confirms exactly what most of us suspect the score will be like. Very restrained, very small, very much the antithesis of a lush score like War Horse.

John Williams’ score is subtle, not as contrived as thought from the trailer but it’s not Star Wars or Schindler’s List by any means.

http://www.awardscircuit.com/2012/10/08/lincoln-½/

There were moments of Lincoln where I was ready to throw something at the screen in exasperation, either where John Williams's score got all War Horse sentimental or Tony Kushner's script got weirdly didactic in explaining the nuts-and-bolts politics at the center of the film's action.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Review-Steven-Spielberg-Lincoln-Premieres-NYFF-Tommy-Lee-Jones-Runs-Away-With-It-33432.html

All the reviews are half full of discussion about the Oscars and not about the movie. Obviously Lincoln is immediately an Oscar bait for nearly all reviewers who veer off the subject by speculating on the nominations almost more than they comment on the film.

I can't wait to hear Williams' score in the film and on the album!

Hi gang

Don't you find it unnerving that so much energy in film journalism is expended on a given film's potential Oscar fortunes rather than the more enduring values and interest to be had in considering a film in terms of its mise-en-scene, performances, music, sound and connections to broader movie traditions ?

Another thought: maybe the time has come for something extensive to be written about how JW is an author of Spielberg's films ;)

By the way, on October 22nd the new issue of Moviescope magazine is out (in the UK and beyond) and it will include a feature article I've written that ties in with Lincoln.

Thanks.

JC

By the way, on October 22nd the new issue of Moviescope magazine is out (in the UK and beyond) and it will include a feature article I've written that ties in with Lincoln.

I'm sure you're talking about how much Oscars the film might win in the article. ;)

Don't you find it unnerving that so much energy in film journalism is expended on a given film's potential Oscar fortunes rather than the more enduring values and interest to be had in considering a film in terms of its mise-en-scene, performances, music, sound and connections to broader movie traditions ?

I'm appalled by this as much as you. All the general "OscarTalk" became much more prominent in the last 7-8 years than it used to be, probably because the internet plays a much bigger role into it. However, we must be aware that it's a way for Hollywood to feed himself, it's part of their foodchain.

Yes, indeed: my article's all about the idea of 'Oscar bait' movies ;)

For sure, 'foodchains' and 'ecology' are useful images to use to understand how things work in all industries. Nothing wrong with Oscars at all, or any awards scenario, but , as we're saying in this conversation, the focus on that being potentially the only criteria of value is crazy.

This JW forum sure is a hot-bed of thoughtfulness :)

I'm happy to say that the piece I've written about Lincoln , for Moviescope, focuses around an interview with one of the key creative personnel on the movie.

James

All the reviews are half full of discussion about the Oscars and not about the movie. Obviously Lincoln is immediately an Oscar bait for nearly all reviewers who veer off the subject by speculating on the nominations almost more than they comment on the film.

It's good to remember that this is also a film festival crowd, where generally the people watching the movies and writing about them are bloggers and insiders, so the focus inevitably turns to awards and promotions and speculative business aspects, especially now that it's getting closer to that time of year. The movie hasn't screened for the press or critics yet, but I don't see Oscar getting more than a slight mention in, say, The New York Times' review of Lincoln.