Star Wars the scores Vs. Star Wars the films

In recent years, I just stopped caring about the Star Wars films. Years of my life were spent loving that franchise and watching the films. Now, I can't even bring myself to watch the original Star Wars. I don't care about The Force Awakens. It's like...over between us. It's kinda sad. But, I can always listen to the Williams music. By far the best aspect of that series. So the music lives on, but now I could give a fuck about the films. Can you sympathize?

Nah, I'm uber excited for the film. Even more than War Horse and Tintin in 2011 (those were the first new John Williams films I'd anticipated as a fan). That being said, if Williams weren't attached to score, my interest would be significantly lower but I'd still be pretty excited.

In recent years, I just stopped caring about the Star Wars films. Years of my life were spent loving that franchise and watching the films. Now, I can't even bring myself to watch the original Star Wars. I don't care about The Force Awakens. It's like...over between us. It's kinda sad. But, I can always listen to the Williams music. By far the best aspect of that series. So the music lives on, but now I could give a fuck about the films. Can you sympathize?

Anakin, you've grown up!

The OT remains superb escapist fun.

The films are indeed quality "escapism" and enjoyable romps, obviously the originals are far more satisfying in this department. But there's not much exceptional about any of them. It's a cultural phenomenon, and you could argue that's enough, but it's always a little cringey when people try to portray them artistically as more than they are. That just does a disservice to what they actually are.

The scores are of course typical of fine Williams craftsmanship and dramatic effectiveness, but in a similar way, I don't think they're all that special overall in his output or in the general musical scene, on a purely musical basis. Again, culturally, of course. Musically, they're on par with, if not below, certain chunks of his other stuff.

So, Star Wars in all its aspects benefits more from "right place, right time" and entering into cultural awareness in a rarely massive way than it does any significant, purely artistic virtues or innovations. Which is fine.

I don't really watch any of the films much anymore, and don't listen to the scores often either. I'm more likely to do the former though, because despite its presence in my childhood, I never formed much of a deep emotional resonance which would allow the scores to draw me in much in isolation.

I'm definitely excited for the new film and score though. It's hard not to be, unless you're a real cynical bastard, I guess.

It's a cultural phenomenon, and you could argue that's enough, but it's always a little cringey when people try to portray them artistically as more than they are. That just does a disservice to what they actually are.

I think no one was more guilty of this during the prequel years than George Lucas and Rick McCallum. Listen to these guys in interviews and EPK material from the time and you'd think they were making deep and meaningful cinema in the vain of Welles, when it was just schlock.

First off, that's "Empathize"......

The films are indeed quality "escapism" and enjoyable romps, obviously the originals are far more satisfying in this department. But there's not much exceptional about any of them. It's a cultural phenomenon, and you could argue that's enough, but it's always a little cringey when people try to portray them artistically as more than they are. That just does a disservice to what they actually are.

The scores are of course typical of fine Williams craftsmanship and dramatic effectiveness, but in a similar way, I don't think they're all that special overall in his output or in the general musical scene, on a purely musical basis. Again, culturally, of course. Musically, they're on par with, if not below, certain chunks of his other stuff.

So, Star Wars in all its aspects benefits more from "right place, right time" and entering into cultural awareness in a rarely massive way than it does any significant, purely artistic virtues or innovations. Which is fine.

I don't really watch any of the films much anymore, and don't listen to the scores often either. I'm more likely to do the former though, because despite its presence in my childhood, I never formed much of a deep emotional resonance which would allow the scores to draw me in much in isolation.

I'm definitely excited for the new film and score though. It's hard not to be, unless you're a real cynical bastard, I guess.

I'd be willing to bet that YOU were still itching your daddy's pants when STAR WARS first premiered.

YOU, sound like a third-generation cynic, with an imagination to match.

At least ONE thing we disagree on.

I myself, am NOT excited about E7, for many reasons.

And WHY were people NOT pissing their pants in anticipation of THE PHANTOM MENACE?

Why is THIS Movie generating so much hype, in advance?

You are unbelievably stupid. Please, never leave.

I actually had a stretch of time to do nothing just now and decided to play Internet Detective with you. Frightfully easy to find out quite a bit about you, but the most relevant information is that you've been around here and various other music-related forums, including FSM, for longer than one would expect. But much more in line with expectations is your conduct, which is uniformly savage. Indeed, this "age card" - that is, implying that you're older than someone and thus wiser seems to be a favorite of yours. Tragically incorrect, however, in both this case and I suspect most others.

Two pieces of advice. One is to sharpen your mind, both musically and otherwise, if you want to be taken seriously. And two is to stop trying to be taken seriously. Stop trying to be a Great Authority, because frankly, you don't seem to know much.

I went a good few years without watching or really even thinking much about the films. Re-watching the OT films recently, I was delighted to find that I haven't lost my love for them. They're not perfect - especially Jedi - but there's a tremendous sense of fun here, and thanks to the design and VFX teams, the cool factor is just off the charts.

I do really wish all three - or hell, all six - could have had the kind of magic that Empire has, though. That is Star Wars at its Star Warsiest.

When I was younger, I went through a phase (didn't we all) in which I was completely obsessed with Star Wars. My D&D group used the SW sourcebook for a while, I read a bunch of the EU novels, took my only break from preparing for academic competitions to see Episode III. It waned fairly quickly though. I still nostalgically love the OT, but, wow, the prequels were really terrible, especially I. That said, Revenge of the Sith remains my all-time favorite film score, and I still listen to all the SW scores regularly. I am quite excited for The Force Awakens, mainly for another Williams SW score, but also because I have faith in JJ Abrams (Fringe pretty much bought him infinite good will from me until the end of time).

And WHY were people NOT pissing their pants in anticipation of THE PHANTOM MENACE?

But people were. Episode 1 was one of the most highly anticipated films of all time. There was literally a movie made about how much people looked forward to it.

You are unbelievably stupid. Please, never leave.

This is now the third time today (all on different forums) I've seen someone say that almost verbatim.

I only listen to the scores very sparingly these days, and that's normally limited to the experimental classical original. Same goes for the films, I prefer to watch and think about the first film and I do still have an affection for it, I can watch it again with ease. Above all else I love it for its innocence and find it quite fascinating.

Oh, I'm VERY excited about the new film, moreso than I've been to anything in years (I think the last time I was equally excited about a new film was PROMETHEUS in 2012). But I can't follow all the endless threads about SW here (neither old, prequel or upcoming) as I've never really been into that kind of detailed nitpicking.

Nope.

Yeah, but you love the Prequels, right?

:)

'Love' is really stretching it. I do see the virtues of the films, much like I'm sure you see virtues even within the mediocre installments of the Bond franchise.

I'm in full on Star Wars geek mode - can't wait for December 17th and for new Star Wars music. I've been pretty much listening on and off to Star Wars music for almost 40 years, so....no, can't sympathize, empathize, or any other -ize. :)

Yeah, but you love the Prequels, right?

:)

'Love' is really stretching it. I do see the virtues of the films, much like I'm sure you see virtues even within the mediocre installments of the Bond franchise.

Good one!

Well he kinda did!

My understanding and knowledge of the Bond franchise and how each film relates to that, and to it's place in popular film culture of the specific era of each separate movie allows me to appreciate the series in its proper perspective.

That has nothing to do with Sandor's all-sweeping love for anything even remotely Star Wars, regardless of how awful it if!

Connoisseur versus fanboy!

The old trilogy in it's original form is all my childhood and they still are very good movies I watch frequently.

I was disapointed by the prequels, but I'm still very interested by the new trilogy to come. I will watch the spinoffs too, but it's less "canon" to me.

So...

Keep calm and watch the original versions of the trilogy

Well he kinda did!

My understanding and knowledge of the Bond franchise and how each film relates to that, and to it's place in popular film culture of the specific era of each separate movie allows me to appreciate the series in its proper perspective.

That has nothing to do with Sandor's all-sweeping love for anything even remotely Star Wars, regardless of how awful it if!

Connoisseur versus fanboy!

My appreciation for the prequels is exactly like you describe your appreciation for the duds within the Bond franchise.

The 'all sweeping love' you talk about is a love for the franchise as a whole, like your love for Bond or Star Trek.

All franchises can't be great all the time.

Trek has produced some garbage as well with episodes like Spock's Brain, Shades Of Grey or Sub Rosa clearly leading the way.

I won't even get started with Bond, but I would say half of those films are completely unwatchable by now.

It's a lot of fun to show the OT to someone who has never seen a Star Wars movie. I few weeks back, I watched the OT with someone who didn't even know that Vader was Luke's father. These movies still work. ESB is particularly timeless

I'd be willing to bet that YOU were still itching your daddy's pants when STAR WARS first premiered.

YOU, sound like a third-generation cynic, with an imagination to match.

At least ONE thing we disagree on.

I myself, am NOT excited about E7, for many reasons.

We don't use caps in every sentence here, that's the first thing you should change if you want to be able to keep posting.

The old trilogy in it's original form is all my childhood and they still are very good movies I watch frequently.

I was disapointed by the prequels, but I'm still very interested by the new trilogy to come. I will watch the spinoffs too, but it's less "canon" to me.

So...

But... But we can't! The original versions are not available to purchase! WE'RE DOOMED! DOOMED, I TELL YA!

tumblr_inline_neaotfg1oO1swraxx.gif

So...

But... But we can't! The original versions are not available to purchase! WE'RE DOOMED! DOOMED, I TELL YA!

Two words : despecialized editions.

Pants were thoroughly urinated when that movie came out. You must not have been an itch in your daddy's pants at the time.

The original versions are not available to purchase! WE'RE DOOMED! DOOMED, I TELL YA!

We don't use caps in every sentence here, that's the first thing you should change if you want to be able to keep posting.

But, my Lord, is that legal?

I consider it's a cinephile right to be able to see a movie the way it came out in theatre.

Too many people tried to trick us in the past years.

You can't play with our memories.

The major problems of the original movies can be corrected with brightness/constrat adujstements. This is what the Despecialized Editions propose.

George Lucas himself was the first one who said: "In time, all what will remain (of Star Wars) is the music."

Yes and he say that after reading my review of TPM.

George Lucas himself was the first one who said: "In time, all what will remain (of Star Wars) is the music."

He was also the first one who thought the world would go absolutely nuts for Jar Jar Binks...

He was also the first one who thought the world would go absolutely nuts for Jar Jar Binks...

Well, the world did go nuts. But probably not in the way he meant it...

We did!

Just not in the way he hoped.

Well, I know what he meant by it. He thinks JW is the best thing about Star Wars. With Jar Jar, he only thought he would please the kids.

We did!

Just not in the way he hoped.

That's what I said!

Well, I know what he meant by it. He thinks JW is the best thing about Star Wars. With Jar Jar, he only thought he would please the kids.

Ok, since when has it become cool again to value the opinion of George 'chilhood rapist' Lucas???

Ok, since when has it become cool again to value the opinion of George 'chilhood rapist' Lucas???

Since Disney bought Star Wars!

Suddenly Lucas's standing increased

Because it's the most sensible thing he ever said. Cool or not cool, I think he's right.

When he says things that make JW look good!

That too.