Photo

The Avengers (Written and Directed by Joss Whedon, music by Alan Silvestri)

• Please log in to reply
705 replies to this topic

#361 Charlie Brigden

Charlie Brigden

Huge Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7322 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:35 PM

It's fun to the point where I stepped outside the theater and wanted to kick the shit out of people with a gigantic hammer whilst shouting 'For Asgard!'

It's a real comic book film - you can't compare this to the Nolan Batman - this is just a really well-written, well-directed, well-acted rollercoaster. It's exhilarating (The HULK especially), it's funny, the tone is right - it's serious when it needs to be but knows when to cut the tension with a joke - and just fun. The dynamic between the characters is one of distrust at first, so there are teething issues to go through while they fight the bad guys.

I thought the score worked really well - have to go back and listen to it on its own.
Repeat the JWFan pledge after me: 'I hereby recognise John Towner Williams' place in the world as the great composer there has ever been, and I therefore renounce the works of Rozsa, Korngold, Herrmann, Horner, Kamen, Giacchino (unless the prophecy is fulfilled and he becomes the heir to JTW) and Goldsmith, especially Goldsmith. I understand that if I ever refer to Jurassic Park as anything less than "a masterpiece sixty-five million years in the making" I will be resigned to living out my days at the Zimmershrine.'

#362 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29137 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:26 PM

Hmm, but Charlie, not to put a dampener on it -I'm glad you enjoyed it, but you also loved John Carter...

#363 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9685 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:43 PM

Hmm, but Charlie, not to put a dampener on it -I'm glad you enjoyed it, but you also loved John Carter...

So what if he loved John Carter?

#364 Hlao-roo

Hlao-roo

Rank Sentimentalist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5954 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:47 PM

I loved John Carter first! :nono:

#365 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 29137 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:44 AM

Gotta find a babysitter so I can see this today. On another (UK) forum I frequent they're going absolutely crazy over it, a lot of 9s and 10s mentioned, which has just sent me into overdrive for this movie.

#366 Elder Joseph Harbinger

Elder Joseph Harbinger

Occasional Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:12 PM

What a shame that a gifted Jewish person like Joss Whedon has to grapple with rubbish source material like comic books.

All this fare is no entertainment for grown-ups. 'The Avengers" are infantile.

The only pictures the studios will boast about are 'Prometheus' and 'The Dark Knight Rising', which are fine, but they're children's movies. They're not for adults.

And they're very good children's movies, don't get me wrong, they're wonderfully written … but they are not for adults.

"Tradition! We scarcely know the word anymore. We are afraid to be either proud of our ancestors or ashamed of them. We scorn nobility in name and in fact. We cling to a bourgeois mediocrity which would make it appear we are all Americans, made in the image and likeness of George Washington."

#367 crocodile

crocodile

A part-time Horner apologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15697 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:26 PM

Charlie is right. This is a really entertaining movie. I wouldn't say "good", because this fulfills a different type of expecttions to, say, Chris Nolan's films. Definitely better than all the other Marvel movies. All the characters get decent screentime and it brings all their storylines together in an neat way, which was perhaps the single biggest challange in this case. And yes, this is the company's first proper superhero movies, as it deals with heroes as a theme. It's all pretty blatant and obvious, even if they annihilated 2/3 of the New York's population in the process (during this very long final battle sequence at the end).

There is some cheese in it, but that was to be expected. The most important thing is that it all works and I had plenty of fun (in an adolescent kind of way). Might even see this again sometime.

Oh and Hulk looks much better CG-wise this time. Mark Rufallo own the part now.

What a shame that a gifted Jewish person like Joss Whedon has to grapple with rubbish source material like comic books.

All this fare is no entertainment for grown-ups. 'The Avengers" are infantile.

The only pictures the studios will boast about are 'Prometheus' and 'The Dark Knight Rising', which are fine, but they're children's movies. They're not for adults.
And they're very good children's movies, don't get me wrong, they're wonderfully written … but they are not for adults.

Well said, Capt Obvious!

Karol
Films On Wax

"Modern, serious music has become embroiled in an intellectual discussion that has no place in music. Certainly, the great composer of the past were geniuses and used their intellect, but only to serve their emotions and guide their craft. Not to dictate to them what they should or shouldn't write" - Michael Kamen, 1995

#368 Elder Joseph Harbinger

Elder Joseph Harbinger

Occasional Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:00 PM

Thank you, 'crocodile'. Please forgive me my ignorance, but why is the name of Jesus not allowed on this board?
"Tradition! We scarcely know the word anymore. We are afraid to be either proud of our ancestors or ashamed of them. We scorn nobility in name and in fact. We cling to a bourgeois mediocrity which would make it appear we are all Americans, made in the image and likeness of George Washington."

#369 Faleel

Faleel

Manic Treasure Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7659 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:13 PM

"04 - In order to avoid controversial off-topic debates, political and religious references are NOT ALLOWED ON ANY OF THE FORUMS."

Among all the things I have done in my short and pitiful life, becoming an inside joke on JWFAN is the one I'm the least proud of.

The additional passage was interesting but not really something I would consider absolutely essential.

https://dl.dropboxus...From-Hoth-2.gif

#370 Jay

Jay

And don't you forget it!

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34708 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:17 PM

The troll has been banned

gI98WBK.jpg

#371 Luke Skywalker

Luke Skywalker

This is an anatomically correct Bunny of Doom.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20392 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:51 PM

i thought it was stefan...

I hope Episode III is Called 'Revenge of the Sith'

#372 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

A Very Respectable Messenger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16404 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:53 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if it was him...

PrincessLeia_zps735e1986.png

#373 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 29137 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:07 PM

Shame he was banned. Could've been good for a laugh.

#374 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9685 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:02 PM

This is a really entertaining movie. I wouldn't say "good", because this fulfills a different type of expecttions to, say, Chris Nolan's films.

¿¿??

#375 crocodile

crocodile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15697 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:06 PM

It's not necessarily the best kind of filmmaking. But entertains despite its shortcomings.

Karol
Films On Wax

"Modern, serious music has become embroiled in an intellectual discussion that has no place in music. Certainly, the great composer of the past were geniuses and used their intellect, but only to serve their emotions and guide their craft. Not to dictate to them what they should or shouldn't write" - Michael Kamen, 1995

#376 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9685 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:09 PM

Hah, I say that of Batman.

#377 Score_Fan

Score_Fan

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:12 PM

I liked it alot, and will be getting it from intrada, but I'm not gonna say it's marvel's best (Still Iron Man for me).

Iron Man's score is easily Marvel's worst.

Sorry for stating an opinion :l

#378 crocodile

crocodile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15697 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:13 PM

Really? I don't want to get into argument, but all Nolan's films, whether you enjoy them or not, have a very strong personality that you can't mistake for anything else. His use of camera, lighting, editing, sound, all of that. It is the personality that puts it above other films like that. The Avengers says nothing about its director. I heard he does some stuff with dialogue but that is not enough to establish his style. I watch Batman movies, because I like Chris Nolan, not because I want to see a superhero film. That's what I meant.

But I wasn't looking for that in The Avengers. I just wanted a big, somewhat dumb (it is dumb) film to have a good time for 2 and a half hours. And it suceeds in that. Sort of like Independence Day or Mission: Impossible 4.

Karol
Films On Wax

#379 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9685 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:19 PM

Really? I don't want to get into argument, but all Nolan's films, whether you enjoy them or not, have a very strong personality that you can't mistake for anything else. His use of camera, lighting, editing, sound, all of that. It is the personality that puts it above other films like that. The Avengers says nothing about its director. I heard he does some stuff with dialogue but that is not enough to establish his style. I watch Batman movies, because I like Chris Nolan, not because I want to see a superhero film. That's what I meant.

But I wasn't looking for that in The Avengers. I just wanted a big, somewhat dumb (it is dumb) film to have a good time for 2 and a half hours. And it suceeds in that. Sort of like Independence Day or Mission: Impossible 4.

Oooh, a style. Nolan's films are clearly his. I've seen Inception (which I loved and still do) and the Batmans (which I loved at first but in second or third views I find a lot of stuff to criticize).

The reason I want to see The Avengers is because I want to see a Joss Whedon thing (although I like superheroes). And as long as I can see it does look like something he would do. I'll elaborate on this when I see it, because Whedon is precisely one of these guys out there with a strong personality.

#380 crocodile

crocodile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15697 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

Share your thoughts when you see it, because I'd like to know what all those Whedon-isms might be. I have no idea.

Karol
Films On Wax

#381 Luke Skywalker

Luke Skywalker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20392 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:45 PM

i want to see the avengers even more with all your positive feedback!

#382 Stefancos

Stefancos

The Road Goes Ever On And On

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 69300 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:06 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if it was him...

Wrong again, bloodball!

TPMSig_zps20d62aed.jpg

#383 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

A Very Respectable Messenger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16404 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:11 PM

Prove it!

PrincessLeia_zps735e1986.png

#384 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9685 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:20 PM

Share your thoughts when you see it, because I'd like to know what all those Whedon-isms might be. I have no idea.

:lol: Now that you say that I remembered this

Posted Image

#385 BTR1701

BTR1701

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:41 PM

Wow, that theme's weak.

I agree it's sounds like something Jablonsky or Djawadi would do, not Silvestri. It is rather disappointing for a major movie like this. I swear it seems like most movies these days have almost no theme to the scores.

Bingo!

Every single new score that comes out on iTunes sounds exactly the same as the one before it. Basically either long, sustained chords for somber moods, or frenetic synthesized string ostinatos over long sustained chords for action sequences.

The Silvestri score to Avengers is nothing special, but at least it employs a real orchestra playing real music, not some kind of sonic wallpaper, and it's sad that this is the best we can expect these days.

It really makes my heart sad for missed opportunities to think of what Williams might do with a film like Avengers, if given wide latitude and a direction to compose in his 80's-90's style.

#386 Jarbas

Jarbas

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:28 AM

I just watch The Avengers and it is very good!

Edited by Jarbas, 28 April 2012 - 01:29 AM.

"John Williams is capable of writing anything, from neo-Romantic to avant-garde. He also writes a better melody than anybody else writing film scores right now. There is an emotional depth to the thematic content; he doesn't just write good themes, he also comes up with amazingly complex harmonic structures to go with them." Royal S. Brown

#387 Neimoidian

Neimoidian

You know my name

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3867 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:22 PM

I checked out the soundtrack yesterday, and I found it bland and generic. A huge disappointment and wasted opportunity on Silvestri's part, nowhere as entertaining as Captain America. At least he didn't venture into RCP territory with this one.

#388 bondo

bondo

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1213 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:54 PM

It's a good thing he never has

#389 hornist

hornist

.Next One Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5043 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:17 PM

I'm too old for tese super-hero-shits but please, tell me is it good for the kids? To buy on Blu-ray?

#390 Luke Skywalker

Luke Skywalker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20392 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:50 AM

you can accompany the kids to the cinema ;)

that's a good excuse and you wont be embarrased being a grown man going to watch those kind of movies :P

#391 Stefancos

Stefancos

The Road Goes Ever On And On

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 69300 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:10 AM

Thats what Alex does. he desperately wants to see The Avengers, so he's forcing his kid to go.

His son would rather go the an Eisenstein Introspective though....

TPMSig_zps20d62aed.jpg

#392 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 29137 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:49 PM

I'm hovering around the 3-4 stars out of 5 mark for this. Yeah, it was entertaining and pretty fun; if a bit long. 12yr old boys must be in heaven with it - it's like the greatest action figure movie ever made.

But Superman II had a better fight scene.

#393 hornist

hornist

.Next One Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5043 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:23 PM

Ok, this is a must buy for my 12yr son. He loved the MacGyver set even it was rated -18years :eh: :eh: :eh: ..

#394 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9685 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:28 PM

I've a kid in the street all happy naming the different Avengers. I assume the film kind of works.

#395 TownerFan

TownerFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3813 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:59 PM

The Silvestri score to Avengers is nothing special, but at least it employs a real orchestra playing real music, not some kind of sonic wallpaper, and it's sad that this is the best we can expect these days.

It really makes my heart sad for missed opportunities to think of what Williams might do with a film like Avengers, if given wide latitude and a direction to compose in his 80's-90's style.

Williams already gave us his dose of superhero/comic-book scores, so let's have someone else getting their chance at it.

I can't understand all the slack this score is receiving 'round here. Sure, it's not a earth-shattering, revolutionary score, but I think it's fine, competently written film music that does really well its job. This aren't the kind of movies where to expect lush lyricism à la Superman The Movie anymore. Having made peace with that, you can't deny that Silvestri is really good at getting well all the film's dramatic needs and amping up the excitement mainly through rhythm and pulse. I like his trademark use of manly ostinatos and bold orchestrations. Considering these movies are a constant barrage of loud sound effects, he found a good way to be heard. Yes, he pays his due to some of the current film scoring trends (orchestrations are done well, but seem a tad too much molded into the thick block of horns-strings-percussion typical of current scores), but I have to say that I was quite surprised that most of the score sounds very acoustic and natural. And it totally sounds like a Silvestri score, which is a good thing. He is one of the few composers still able to keep his voice intact in the real tough arena of today's Hollywood film music.

Too many people probably expect the next Star Wars when it comes to this kind of movies' film scores, maybe not realizing how much things have changed, especially in the last 10-15 years. Hey, at least Silvestri was able to snook in a good theme in it.

#396 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9685 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:10 PM

[This aren't the kind of movies where to expect lush lyricism à la Superman The Movie anymore.

I haven't seen the film, but it looks like its begging for it. It's about a team of superheros with cheesy costumes trying to defend the world of aliens. That doesn't mean, however, that a score with more meat to it has to sound like Superman or Star Wars. I want complex, emotionally resonating scores, but I'd be happy they took an specially designed, original angle. So, as it stands, I'm in a no win-no win situation.

This said, I like the theme. It seems to represent the team as a time bomb idea well, specially how it starts.

#397 BTR1701

BTR1701

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:17 PM

Too many people probably expect the next Star Wars when it comes to this kind of movies' film scores, maybe not realizing how much things have changed, especially in the last 10-15 years. Hey, at least Silvestri was able to snook in a good theme in it.

I don't think anyone's expecting the next Star Wars or don't realize how much thing have changed in film music. More like we're all too aware of how much has changed in film music and are lamenting that fact.

#398 TownerFan

TownerFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3813 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:21 PM

[This aren't the kind of movies where to expect lush lyricism à la Superman The Movie anymore.

I haven't seen the film, but it looks like its begging for it.

It's mostly an action film (a well-made one, imho), not a Shakespearean character study. It has some nice little folds that give to the film much more dignity than the usual dumb Hollywood blockbusters of today. But it still remains a blockbuster made in 2012. The music follows this logic accordingly. Silvestri was asked to do this kind of score and he complied egregiously, imho.

#399 Score_Fan

Score_Fan

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

I guess I'm the only one who liked this score then?

The unpopular opinions continue.... :P

#400 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9685 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:33 PM

It's mostly an action film (a well-made one, imho), not a Shakespearean character study. It has some nice little folds that give to the film much more dignity than the usual dumb Hollywood blockbusters of today. But it still remains a blockbuster made in 2012. The music follows this logic accordingly. Silvestri was asked to do this kind of score and he complied egregiously, imho.

Yes, the score fits with the stylistic trends of the time. I agree. I just don't like the stylistic trends of the time much, regarding music for film. It ususally doesn't live up to the musical and filmic potential of many films.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users