Michael

Really?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2466 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 04:10 PM

Filmtracks review is up...

http://www.filmtrack.../war_horse.html

I can't believe he gave this one only four stars. This is a five stars score!
If you start taking yourself seriously, then you’re in deep trouble! - Jerry Goldsmith

#82 TownerFan

TownerFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3847 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 05:09 PM

Are there still people who hold Clemmensen's reviews in that high regard?

#83 Charlie Brigden

Charlie Brigden

Huge Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7322 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 07:10 PM

Are there still people who hold Clemmensen's reviews in any regard?
Repeat the JWFan pledge after me: 'I hereby recognise John Towner Williams' place in the world as the great composer there has ever been, and I therefore renounce the works of Rozsa, Korngold, Herrmann, Horner, Kamen, Giacchino (unless the prophecy is fulfilled and he becomes the heir to JTW) and Goldsmith, especially Goldsmith. I understand that if I ever refer to Jurassic Park as anything less than "a masterpiece sixty-five million years in the making" I will be resigned to living out my days at the Zimmershrine.'

#84 Mr Big

Mr Big

Son of Grinch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1227 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 07:29 PM

I've usually agreed with Clemmensen's reviews. I still enjoy reading them even if he gave a 5 star score 4 stars.

#85 Blumen Cohlsman

Blumen Cohlsman

John Williams's Shrink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9506 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 09:02 PM

I think he does a good job. I disagree with him in this case, but his reviews are always a good read.

His biggest flaw as a reviewer is that sometimes he fails to see the forest for the trees. For example, he spent most of his time bitching about how PoA didn't keep in line with the series (and repeat Hedwig's theme enough), rather than seeing the wonderful music before him.

But even with that flaw, I'd say I hold his reviews in higher regard than most other reviewers.

#86 Neimoidian

Neimoidian

You know my name

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3867 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 10:20 PM

I haven't read his review yet, but I don't find War Horse a five-star score. I like it a lot, but I think 4/5 is adequate rating.

#87 Mr Big

Mr Big

Son of Grinch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1227 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 10:34 PM

He himself said it was satisfyingly close to his best efforts, it's more like a 4.5 star review.

#88 Richard Penna

Richard Penna

Somewhere else

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9553 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 11:15 PM

His primary critique seems to be that it's too thematically complicated and that Williams abandons them during the middle part.

Valid point, but not enough to drag it down to 4 stars. I maintain that this is a solid 5 star score.

#89 Michael

Michael

Really?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2466 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 11:56 PM

I don't Christian really "gets" Williams more serious side. Not saying that War Horse is completely serious, but he only seems to give five stars to his classic scores or the fun ones. No love for the more challenging ones, like Memoirs for example.
If you start taking yourself seriously, then you’re in deep trouble! - Jerry Goldsmith

#90 Mr Big

Mr Big

Son of Grinch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1227 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 12:56 AM

He called Memoirs an "easy listen" though.

#91 Blumen Cohlsman

Blumen Cohlsman

John Williams's Shrink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9506 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 01:03 AM

He called Memoirs an "easy listen" though.

Memoirs is an easy listen.

#92 KK.

KK.

Rich in Fish!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9409 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 01:24 AM

I do.

Still haven't got to the score yet. It has been the score I've been looking forward to the most this year and I believe it will be a 5 star effort. And just because CC rates a score that others might not agree with in terms of the rating, it doesn't change the fact that he still writes fantastic reviews.

And after all, its HIS opinion. Why should anyone have to insult or undermine that? All reviews are subjective, and he is just expressing what he thought of the score with very solid arguments. No one asked anybody else to conform to it.

An excellent review, I say.

I don't understand the whole Filmtracks hate around here...

- KK

#93 Mr Big

Mr Big

Son of Grinch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1227 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 01:25 AM

He criticized Memoirs for being to simplistic but he praised Lady in the Water for it's "Simplistic Orchestral Beauty".

#94 Romão

Romão

Benfiquista

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9668 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 01:41 AM

I'd hardly call Memoirs of a Geisha simplistic
The Keyboard is mightier than the sword

#95 KK.

KK.

Rich in Fish!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9409 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 01:47 AM

H never claimed it was "simplistic" in the sense you referred to. He meant to say that the score was easier on the ears, especially when compared to his other works of the same year (War of the Worlds and Revenge of the Sith). He still praises Williams for his masterful blend of Japanese and western styles. He never claimed it was simplistic in a compositional sense. Just easier on the ears when compared to something as dense as War of the Worlds...

#96 E.T. and Elliot

E.T. and Elliot

SUPERVISED AND APPROVED BY JOHN WILLIAMS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6801 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 01:48 AM

Plowing is still one of the best JW tracks I've ever heard.

#97 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17679 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:04 AM

H never claimed it was "simplistic" in the sense you referred to. He meant to say that the score was easier on the ears, especially when compared to his other works of the same year (War of the Worlds and Revenge of the Sith). He still praises Williams for his masterful blend of Japanese and western styles. He never claimed it was simplistic in a compositional sense. Just easier on the ears when compared to something as dense as War of the Worlds...

That's how I interpreted it too. At any given moment in Memoirs, there's likely less going on in the orchestra than in RotS (a lot of Memoirs is solos or very sparse orchestrations). I don't think he was speaking to its compositional or thematic complexity.

I find Clemmensen's reviews to be interesting reads, even though I often disagree with him. They're very well thought out.
For updates on a new CD/short film featuring brand new concert works by John Williams, Michael Giacchino, Alexandre Desplat, Randy Newman, Don Davis and Bruce Broughton, "like" this facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/MontageFilmComposers

#98 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 12:46 PM

Reading his review is only good if you want to ruin the listening experience of a score...

I never liked his reviews.

#99 Mr Big

Mr Big

Son of Grinch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1227 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:57 AM

Reading his review is only good if you want to ruin the listening experience of a score...

I never liked his reviews.

Why should that affect the listening experience? It's just some reviewers opinion.

#100 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:40 AM

Why should that affect the listening experience? It's just some reviewers opinion.

I was only (half) kidding to make my point that I think his reviews are really bad... ;)

#101 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:27 AM

Sorry, if this has been already discussed somewhere (I couldn't find it, if so), but what's up with the distortions on the WH album? I hear it almost every time the Bonding Theme is played by the brass section (for example Track 15, around 4:05; or in the last track).

Anybody else hear that? I don't know how you call it--maybe "distortion" is not the right word--but it's a sort of "thrrrrrraaaappppp" in the background...

#102 Incanus

Incanus

The One True John Williams Believer, Keeper of the Faith

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18591 posts
  • Location:Finland the fierce land of polar bears and penguins

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:55 AM

I can certainly hear it too and it is just how the instruments were recorded, either being too close to the mic or mixing together so that they produce such an undertone I guess.

Ars superior est vita hominum.

"We pop out and come into the world and music is there. We didn't invent it - it's all organised in the atmosphere by divinity or whatever. It's a miracle." - John Williams-

I think music is a stream of some kind. It could be blood. It could be water. It could be ether. Whatever it is it seems to be a living, organic force that’s in motion, that serves humanity and is part of humanity and part of what describes us as humans. We sing, play, dance, all the things that we do. And there is a vibrant and great literature we have been given. ... As musicians, we join the stream. We swim in the stream with all the other millions of music makers. It’s a life force, a strong one, surrounding us and we are part of it. -John Williams-

#103 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:01 AM

What's up with the distortions on the War Horse album?

It bothers me quite a lot...

I am the only one who feels that way? You can turn the volume down, then it's not so noticeable, but it's still annoying as hell.

In comparison the brass section in "Hymn to the Fallen" for example was recorded perfectly! No "distortions" whatsoever!

#104 Greg1138

Greg1138

Down Once More...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3673 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:43 AM

Not noticed this....played that section of track 15 over and over again and I must admit I can't hear anything wrong....all I can hear is the brass opening their throats a bit during what is obviously marked as a crescendo (since they are all doing it)....Brass players - when playing louder - tend to have to open our throats physically so that the sound does not get forced or too edgy....I think what is happening on this track is that the timbre of the note is changing as the crescendo happens, but nicely in control - that's all. You wouldn't have heard such a thing in Hymn to the Fallen because there is no passage where there is such a crescendo in such a short space of time - the timbre does change, but over 4 bars or so (especially in the brass "choir" section) - here it happens over one note.

#105 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:47 AM

But you hear what I am talking about, right?

I am pretty sure that's not done by the instruments... rather it's the way that section was recorded. "An undertone," "a distortion"... it's rather distracting. And I believe I hear that in the trailer (where this music was used) as well.

#106 TownerFan

TownerFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3847 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:19 AM

Are you hearing this while listening to mp3 or the actual CD?

#107 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:20 AM

The former. Why? On the actual CD you don't hear it?

#108 TownerFan

TownerFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3847 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:27 AM

It could very well be a compression factor. The same problem I encountered during several big "tutti" moments on Tintin mp3s, but they disappeared when I listened to the actual CD, which has richer dynamic range and less severe peak limiting.

#109 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:30 AM

I certainly hope so! :)

#110 Charlie Brigden

Charlie Brigden

Huge Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7322 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:50 AM

http://www.amazon.co...567348&sr=301-1
Repeat the JWFan pledge after me: 'I hereby recognise John Towner Williams' place in the world as the great composer there has ever been, and I therefore renounce the works of Rozsa, Korngold, Herrmann, Horner, Kamen, Giacchino (unless the prophecy is fulfilled and he becomes the heir to JTW) and Goldsmith, especially Goldsmith. I understand that if I ever refer to Jurassic Park as anything less than "a masterpiece sixty-five million years in the making" I will be resigned to living out my days at the Zimmershrine.'

#111 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:12 PM

I already BOUGHT this some time ago, thanks! :)

#112 Ricard

Ricard

Founder of JWFAN

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2628 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:21 PM

The legally purchased MP3s sound perfectly fine.
There's no such thing as a mistake.

#113 Jay

Jay

Iron FEET!

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36858 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:32 PM

I meant to mention this when I got my retail copy of the War Horse CD in the mail from Sony - I know what you're talking about Josh, or at least a similar one (I haven't checked out your specific time stamps).

In my experience, the actual CD sounds MUCH better than the official mp3s Sony sent out for review purposes. Listening to both in my car, the promotional mp3s would get distorted at the loud parts, while the retail CD does not. Also there was a blip between tracks 7&8 and tracks 12&13 on the promotional mp3s (since the tracks overlap) that is thankfully gone on the real CD (obviously).

Perhaps the Amazon and iTunes mp3s suffer from the same problems as the promotional Sony mp3s.

And I agree with the intent of Ricard's post - asking questions about the sound quality of illegal mp3s is completely pointless. Of course they might sound bad, who knows where the heck they were sourced from or what wacky encoder somebody used to make them. Starting a thread about the sound quality of illegal mp3s is just........ dumb. But if the official legal mp3s have sound problems, that certainly could be discussed. I don't have much experience with amazon mp3s (are they still 256kbps?), but I know the iTunes AACs are considered to generally be pretty good. A lot of European retailers sell mp3s at various bitrates I think, and I believe there are sites that sell lossless downloads as well. I just have no experience with them.

#114 king mark

king mark

Supreme Priestmaster of JWfan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26579 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:41 PM

this discussion wasn't totally useless then

#115 Jay

Jay

Iron FEET!

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36858 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:49 PM

Asking a question about a distortion in illegal mp3s certainly is useless, and I would hope people are smart enough to realize that.

But if the legal mp3s sold by Amazon or iTunes (or wherever) have distortion then that is a problem.

#116 Sandor

Sandor

Member since 1999..!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3911 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:49 PM

Asking a question about a distortion in illegal mp3s certainly is useless, and I would hope people are smart enough to realize that.

But if the legal mp3s sold by Amazon or iTunes (or wherever) have distortion then that is a problem.

The real problem is that nobody said anything about ILLEGAL mp3's until Ricard did. I for one assumed the discussion was about PURCHASED mp3's. That seemed highly valid to me.
Posted Image

#117 Sandor

Sandor

Member since 1999..!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3911 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:32 PM

Something about the artwork of the War Horse CD puts me off. The cover image is a bit dark and seems to lack some of the colors of the original poster. I don't like the "Photoshopped" darkening behind the letters 'music composed and conducted by John Williams'. Comes across as a bit amateurish.

Then the back of the CD is so simplistic that it feels like one of those cheap synth re-recording CD's. The print on the CD itself is likewise very simplistic and lacks the classy feel of - let's say - Tintin. The only redeeming thing about it seems to be the inside pages of the booklet.

Is it just me..?
Posted Image

#118 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

A Very Respectable Messenger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18318 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:39 PM

Hey, that's because of you that we got such a cover!

ImBirdman_zps15b4c1eb.png

#119 Sandor

Sandor

Member since 1999..!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3911 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:55 PM

Hey, that's because of you that we got such a cover!

;)
Posted Image

#120 Richard Penna

Richard Penna

Somewhere else

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9553 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:40 PM

I'm not much of a fan of it either. I don't like the fonts much - too thin and weak.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users