Which is better?

JoeinAR

What love theme is better  

50 members have voted

1. 1.

• Across the Stars
    • Love theme from Superman

Which is the better love theme?

Don't just vote, tell us why, justify your answer.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Across The Stars, because it is not all-candy like Can You Read My Mind. ATS has this bittersweet undertone for this forbidden love that has to lead to a tragic end. When the strings suddenly fall down to a dark intermission, it reminds us of the doom that both will have to face.

This complex interpretation is not possible for CYRMM because it is just a cliched, albeit excellent tune. Across The Stars is very ambivalent which makes it superior.

Across the Stars. I know that it is a reworking of Hook crossed with Nixon, but to me it is more emotionally complex. It doesn't necessarily have the harmonic or melodic interest of Superman, but Across the Stars just clicks with me more.

Agree about what hte previous posters say about Across the Stars, it being more emotionally complex and such, but I voted Superman. I actually cant really choose between them but its Superman's as of today as I've been listening to it for the past few days and loving it. :sigh:

Superman; don't know how to justify it except I like it better. My iTunes counter says that I've listened to the Superman Love Theme 21 times more than I've listened to Across The Stars.

Superman. I didn't even have to think for a second. The score moves me more, the movie obviously moves me ALOT more, and I just love the celli in that piece.

The brooding caged passion of Across the Stars gives it the edge over the youthful celebratory nature of Can You Read My Mind.

Can I read your Mind is the better of the two,but that theme is inferior to the love themes from Empire Strikes Back,Raiders and ToD,so i'm not giving it a ringing endorsement.

K.M.

"Love Theme from Superman." They are both pretty good.

By the way, anybody that voted for "Across the Stars" will be receiving their ass-pounding shortly. Joe does regard "Love Theme from Superman" as John Williams's greatest composition ever. :sigh:

Can You Read my Mind and the Love theme from Superman are two seperate cues, don't any of you know that.

A tough choice, these are in my opinion Williams' two best love themes ever (though Han & Leia and the Temple of Doom love theme are up there too).

The Flying Sequence is one of the highlights of Superman, the superior presentation to the concert version IMO. While ATS gets one of Williams greatest thematic concert pieces ever, really putting it through the motions and adding a lot of foreboding with the dark sections. Across the Starts gets it by a nose.

John- also preparing for the wrath of Joe :sigh:

John2- who was also contemplating a "what's better" poll but will now wait a few days

king mark wrote:

Can I read your Mind is the better of the two  

K.M.

Is that a bootleg? Where can I get it? I only have Can You Read My Mind.

This is the second refrain, where Superman bursts into song to Lois Lane.

I think that Can You Read My Mind is more immediately accessible than Across the Stars, but perhaps the latter has more depth of feeling.

They're both really really good.

Superman can sing? Damn, I need to hear it...

Listen and Weep....

Actually I'm sure it was a decent show - I have that CD and dust it off reasonably often....

Greg - who loves both of the themes in this poll, but went for "Love Theme from Superman" for it's beautiful simplicity and un-erring ability to induce a sense of child-like innocent wonder....

Is this one of those threads were Joe wants to 'prove' that the Superman Love Theme is so much better than anything from Attack Of The Clones?

Is this one of those threads were Joe wants to 'prove' that the Superman Love Theme is so much better than anything from Attack Of The Clones?

He's welcome to do so because I agree with him. :sigh:

To me, "Love Theme from Superman" is the superior track because I'm more fond of its whimsical and pure nature, and of course its nostalgia value and originality compared to Williams' somewhat disappointing "Across the Stars". "ATS" isn't a bad track, it's just too blatantly derivative and manipulative for my tastes. I liked its variations in ROTS much more. "Love Theme from Superman" is also developed in more interesting and varied ways throughout the score from the "Main Title March" to "The Flying Sequence" and finally in "Turning Back the World".

Thought - I wonder if Love Theme from Superman was played at either of the Reeve's funerals.....anyone know?

Listen to Richard Strauss' Death and Transfiguration. The main theme that appears about halfway through the piece (and dominates the second half of the work) is the same 5-note head-motive that begins the Love Theme from Superman. It is the same notes, same rhythm, and most strikingly the same harmony. You hear it and think "Oh my God! It's the love theme from Superman!". Where Williams' genius lies is how he then wrote a continuation of the theme that was completely original and very, very Williams. Seriously though, listen to Death and Transfiguration and about halfway through you will suddenly sit up and say "What the ****!".

I actually prefer Across the Stars (or, Love Theme from Attack of the Clones) more often, but I think the Love theme from Supes is used far better in the actual score.

Love Theme from Superman The Movie was composed by 1970's Williams.

Across The Stars by 21th Century Williams.

So obviously the Superman track is far superiour.

I agree. To be honest, I can't even recall this "Across The Stars" tune.

They are both excellent, and vastly differing love themes, describing two very different loves.

But since "Superman" is such a far superior film to "Attack of the Clones" (which I find almost unwatchable), I think, in the context for which it was written, I will prefer "Can You Read My Mind".

As pure music, I'm equally enamoured with both...

I think "Across the Stars" carries the meaning of love better than the always-sweet Love Theme from Superman...

Being the idealist I am, I therefore go with Superman.

I voted for Superman,

but let me once again disagree with most people. I think the ATS is Williams attempting to portray the darkness of the relationship moreso then the love part. Notice how STRICTly he uses the star wars main theme shape, he really didn't have much room to come up with something completely new. I voted for Superman because I just like the music of that theme a little better.

That's poor logic.Some 21st centuri themes are equal or superiour to 70's-80's Williams(like Harry's wondrous world,hedwig's theme)

k.M.

That's poor logic.Some 21st centuri themes are equal or superiour to 70's-80's Williams(like Harry's wondrous world,hedwig's theme)

k.M.

*Cough* Don't forget A Window to the Past...which hands down beats Love Theme from Superman and Across the Stars, combined. It could damn well be a very good love theme. *cough*

At least the love theme from Superman is hummable. Across the Stars is too deep on my vocal chords. By the way, my Margot Kiddor recital on the love theme has to be heard at dinner parties.

At least the love theme from Superman is hummable.  Across the Stars is too deep on my vocal chords.  By the way, my Margot Kiddor recital on the love theme has to be heard at dinner parties.

Everytime I try to hum it, I end up with Hook's theme...GRRR. It's so annoying, and I can never tell where I go wrong.

I hate it when I try to hum something, and I end up humming something similar but different.

By that logic, the March from 1941 is vastly better than, say, the Trade Federation March.

Even logic must give way to physics.

According to which, Hitch's mass maintains the gravitational constant of the universe. ;):P

By that logic, the March from 1941 is vastly better than, say, the Trade Federation March.

and it is, see, that logic works again.

and it is, see, that logic works again.

Agreed. On the 1941 > Trade Federation march anyway. :P

yeah Jeff, haven't seen you in a bit.

Hmm, difficult to say. Both are lovely, in very different ways. I shall listen to both pieces, contemplate, and return with my decision!

Ray Barnsbury