The OFFICIAL Superman Returns Score thread

Well, in the Main superman Returns page from this site, Ricard has Put 'Original themes by John Williams' as it should be.

Not just Superman theme. :(

And in this review page it seems that the officail CD credits are like these:

http://www.moviemusicuk.us/supermanreturnscd.htm

Music from the 1978 film “Superman” composed by John Williams, arranged by John Ottman and Damon Intrabartolo

Which is fine for me :pukeface:

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The theme would be wrong, and the sound would most certainly be wrong. Elfman could have done a good score, no doubt, but it would have no resemblance to the original.

I disagree, I think Elfman's Batman theme is just perfect, it's dark and mysterious yet heroic, like Batman himself. And just like Williams's Superman, I don't think other theme will ever come close.

Anyway, getting back to the Superman Returns score.

I have just listened to the soundclips on Rhino's website and have been largely impressed with what I have heard. In fact this is the first time I have heard ANY music by John Ottoman despite having seen a couple of the films he's composed the music for. So, depending on the films style and storytelling this could be my first John Ottoman CD.

Will this be the first JO CD for anyone else as well?

No, I've got his X2 vol 1 and 2 (autographed :) ) Apt Pupil, Usual Suspects and Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang in the mail.

I disagree, I think Elfman's Batman theme is just perfect, it's dark and mysterious yet heroic,  like Batman himself. And just like Williams's Superman, I don't think other theme will ever come close.

I do think Batman is character much more open to different interpretations than Superman.

Ottman signed a bootleg?

He sent it to me signed

wow. Did he gave you the boot or did you send him it and then he re-sent it?

Ask for a complete superman returns if it is the former ;) (and share :folder:)

"The sometimes ethereal qualities of Ottman's work, amplified by significant choral strains, provide an emotional dimension -- and show up Williams' "Star Wars" thematic variation for the bombast it is."

:roll:

I also find it odd that in the opening of that article, two titles on the "shortlist of best superhero spectaculars" are named. The oldest is from 2004.

"The sometimes ethereal qualities of Ottman's work, amplified by significant choral strains, provide an emotional dimension -- and show up Williams' "Star Wars" thematic variation for the bombast it is."

:roll:

Someone has obviously never listened to Williams' Superman.

Ottman signed a bootleg?

He sent it to me signed

Ask for a complete superman returns if it is the former ;) (and share :folder:)

I asked him about his use of Dies Irae in the film and why it wasn't put on the album.

Yes, I regret not putting it on the album.  There was so much music in the score (only 60 minutes allowable on the album), and I was so busy with supervising the sound for the film, it slipped through the cracks.  If you send me your address I'll send you the unofficial album #2 of all the music missing on the main album.

All the best

- John Ottman

It's a one disc cd, different from the 2 disc bootleg I think.

Well I just got the soundtrack from MF.com and Track 15. Reprise - Fly Away... oh boy John William's stuff is up all over :folder:

I was able to locate it on the MF board. The guy said it was leaked this past Thursday, though I didn't hear anything about it until just now. I'm DL it now.

Oh, and it's apparently 320 kbps ;).

EDIT: Listening to it now :folder:

Tim

I can wait until the 27th. I'm not sure if I'm getting this or not.

I will admit, based on early reviews, that I'm a little more enthused about seeing this film than I was a few months ago.

Ottman signed a bootleg?

He sent it to me signed

Ask for a complete superman returns if it is the former ;) (and share :P)

I asked him about his use of Dies Irae in the film and why it wasn't put on the album.

Yes, I regret not putting it on the album.  There was so much music in the score (only 60 minutes allowable on the album), and I was so busy with supervising the sound for the film, it slipped through the cracks.  If you send me your address I'll send you the unofficial album #2 of all the music missing on the main album.

All the best

- John Ottman

It's a one disc cd, different from the 2 disc bootleg I think.

mmmm ask him about something missing from Superman returns when the CD and movie have aired :P

Bloody hell, I must say I'm suprised by the appearance of this feed - anyone with the slightest knowledge of how XP works will know how to download this for keeps. Is it a crappy bitrate or something? I never checked since I already have the album.

Listening now to the whole affair... I have to say it sounds very good and inspired. Yes, it's not John Williams even by a distant mile... but I'm enjoying it.

And Damon Intrabartolo's take on the "Main Title March" is very good, IMHO.

EDIT: It's really good! There are some very emotional moments that stick out in a good way.

The only thing that doesn't convince me is Ottman's re-arrangement of the Love Theme: he did some harmonic and rhythmic variations that sound a bit awkward to my ears (especially at the end of "How Could You Leave Us?" -- one of the best cues, btw).

Pretty neat album. But where the hell is the end credits suite? I wanted to hear the full theme again, not just the short fanfare. At just over 55 minutes, there surely could have been a neat suite at the end (I'm assuming there will be one in the film, but there's no reason to believe there won't).

Lousy performance of the main titles. Weirdly edited and the performance lacks any excitement.

The rest is maybe slightly above average modern film scoring, but that isn't saying much.

Neil

So far for me this is a fairly generic blockbuster score, but whenever it hits the Williams notes, it soars into something else. Kind of ironic I guess. Some pretty decent action cues, but nothing particulary inspired.

That being said, I'm sure this is gonna serve the film just fine, thanks mainly to Williams. Though I'm sure the original Ottman material will grow on people in time. Methinks there will be more musical Superman statements in the actual movie than there is on the album. Ottman rightfully wants to keep the first ost release largely original to himself.

:P 4.06mins Not Like The Train Set AWESOME!

The score is nice when it incorporates Williams' themes. The rest sounds pretty generic. Not bad, but not particurarly noteworthy. And am I the only one who thinks the Personal Theme sounds just like the main theme from The Village?

And Ottman could have given the love theme better treatment.

Lousy performance of the main titles.  Weirdly edited and the performance lacks any excitement.

It doesn't sound *that* bad to my ears. It seems to me a competent reading of the march, just as much as some of Williams' own recordings with the Boston Pops. But maybe I have to listen more closely (and on a better sound equipment).

One thing is sure: the original '78 version of the March with the LSO will reman unsurpassed forever and ever.

The score is nice when it incorporates Williams' themes. The rest sounds pretty generic.  

Just what I thought. I found myself waiting for Williams's themes to appear. I solved it listening to the original score from 1978 :P

I actually hold the Boston Pops performance in very high regard. It's my favorite recording of the march. The LSO from 1978 is absolutely fantastic, no doubt, but there is something about the Boston Pops recording that has always connected with me. It's the most "march" like.

The RSNO recording is better than this. As is Kunzels. So is the recording for the main titles of Superman II. This one is really lackluster and it's odd. You'd think they could get this right.

Oh well. As long as the music works in the movie I'll be satisfied. If I want to hear good Superman music on it's own, I've got that covered.

Neil

Well, based on the first listen, it looks promising--and it appears that a whole load of cues remain unreleased, and it's possible that the unreleased material contain more of Williams' themes (Ottman probably wanted the album to be mostly his stuff).

Ottman does write some cool motiff for his cues, including an interesting Lex theme (reminds me of Elfman's Hulk) and a pleasant personal reflection theme for Superman (reminds me of the Harry Family Theme from the first Harry Potter).

I'll have to listen to the score again. Lots of mellow, dreary music though ...

The new introduction with the Krypton is missing;

The end credits are missing;

MySpace Film Music Group

MySpace Director Dan Harris Group

Pretty neat album. But where the hell is the end credits suite? I wanted to hear the full theme again, not just the short fanfare. At just over 55 minutes, there surely could have been a neat suite at the end.

I'm beginning to think the length of the album is due to the fact they dumped 3 trailers and one making of the score featurette on to the disc :P But yea, I too find the Main Titles unsastisfactory *digs up Superman:The Movie*

You people just can't be pleased. He could have pulled a Doyle on ya'll and given you that.

Instead you get the march and many other themes recorded in a way more than competent manner, and ye still complain! :P

My only complaint with the march though is the cymbals that sound like they're being played by corpses.

yeah, as long as the main march was a competent recording I didn't mind ... I'm glad Ottman wrote his own score, very appropriate and Singer did a nice job with Ottman of placing just enough previous material into the film.

MySpace Film Music Group

MySpace Director Dan Harris Group

I actually hold the Boston Pops performance in very high regard.  It's my favorite recording of the march.  The LSO from 1978 is absolutely fantastic, no doubt, but there is something about the Boston Pops recording that has always connected with me.  It's the most "march" like.

Don't get me wrong. I also love BPO's performance of the Superman March. After listening to the Superman Returns version a couple of times, it seems to my ears that - apart from the wacky edits and trims of some portions - the performance of the Hollywood Studio Symphony is pretty decent. But maybe I have to listen more closely and with more attention.

As long as the music works in the movie I'll be satisfied.  If I want to hear good Superman music on it's own, I've got that covered.

I defintely agree.

So far for me this is a fairly generic blockbuster score, but whenever it hits the Williams notes, it soars into something else. Kind of ironic I guess. Some pretty decent action cues, but nothing particulary inspired.

In the end, I agree with this view. The album is an enjoyable listen, it has some pretty moments and whenever Williams' material appears, the whole thing raises on another level. I like the fact Ottman did steer away from any kind of "modern", Media Ventures-styled approach and stayed orchestral and acoustic for the most part. Anyway, if we take out the Williams's quotations, it remains a generic modern action score, albeit a good one.

Ottman's effort in trying to be repsectful to the original material and to his own aesthetics at the same time, is evident. The guy worked very hard and he succeeded most of the time. Anyway, it was a huge, unenviable task.

John Williams' Superman score will always be a timeless classic. Ottman's probably not.

I like the fact Ottman did steer away from any kind of "modern", Media Ventures-styled approach and stayed orchestral and acoustic for the most part.

I don't remember him writing in that style before anyway.

- Marc, who may be wrong, though.

Just gave it a listen at work and boy is that a lame performance with all sorts of funky edits and extensions in it and little power behind it. It might sound like Williams rehearsing with an orchestra, but that's about it. Give me the LSO, RSNO and the Boston Pops recordings any day over this. A real disappointment.

Neil

I thought when Soundtrack.Net posted their sneak preview the performance of the main theme was sloppy.

I couldn't really judge by 30 seconds. Now that I've heard it...yeah, it's a let down.

Neil

Its not a great performance, but its not bad either, we're so used to better performances, its just nice to here the new score. I can't wait to own it. Its bound to be better than anything out there this summer except for Lady in the Water, which I expect to be another JNH/MNS classic.

The Debney recording has a really bad mistake in it though during the B section with the cellos - the timpani goes to the dominant a measure to early - once you notice it's impossible to miss.

The one thing i like about Ottman's main title recording is the tempo is nice and brisk and the recording is very "room-y", not concert hall-y. It sounds kinda like it was engineered in a semi-1978 style.