The OFFICIAL Superman Returns Score thread

Well, I also think Davis has nailed it. Granted, there are some parts of the score that are somewhat mediocre, but is has a good deal of highlights that (for me) by far outweigh the flaws. Just take the excellent introductory track, track 3, "Bone man ben" etc. ...

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn, i need to update my quicktime....

btw did anyone notice its mentioned that the Superman March (not the fanfare) doesnt appear anywhere except the main titles? Damn

Davis made some good usage of John's Music like the mercenaries theme based on the arrival to the Visitor center motif, or making his action cues with the carnivore theme....

btw did anyone notice its mentioned that the Superman March (not the fanfare) doesnt appear anywhere except the main titles? Damn

Its not true, they also say other themes are not present, and in the clips you can hear the love theme. (and one or two statements of the superman march)

They never said the love theme was missing in that preview.

I also noticed that the march was missing in all the trailers. The ostinato and the fanfare was there, but they cut it just before it started. A bit odd, I thought, as that'd be the equivalent of a SW trailer without Luke's theme.

I also noticed that the march was missing in all the trailers. The ostinato and the fanfare was there, but they cut it just before it started. A bit odd, I thought, as that'd be the equivalent of a SW trailer without Luke's theme.

I don't know, I think the ostinato and the fanfare are just as important as the march. I would think it'd be easier for Ottman to adapt them than the march.

How many people think that the beginning part of the "Memories" track sounds similar to Rudy's Victory Theme?

Also, any ideas on "Bank Job" time signatures? I think I counted a couple 7/8 measures. Your thoughts?

In one of the preview samples, Ottman used the ostinato section of the main theme and played his new Luthur theme over top of it. It was pretty clever, and sounded good.

Tim, who just realized that the running time is only 55 minutes.

Oh shoot, I just realized the same thing that happened with the WotW score is happening here, I'm leaving for a sleep away camp June 22nd, so I won't be able to get the score until three weeks later! two years in a row this happens...

So, no one really answered my question: The Superman Returns score bits sound excellent, but X2 kind of fell short. Is Fantastic Four worth checking in to? Or is it more lacking in the theme department and generic background music?

So, no one really answered my question:  The Superman Returns score bits sound excellent, but X2 kind of fell short.  Is Fantastic Four worth checking in to?  Or is it more lacking in the theme department and generic background music?

My knowledge of the score is limited to my one viewing of the film last summer, and though I do recall the music, I found it hard to focus on it because the film was so irritably bad. There was a main theme, if I recall, that was kind of generic hero stuff, but it was used throughout the film, and of course swells to a loud volume in the last shot before the end credits (naturally). At any rate, it wasn't terrible, but it was nothing special.

Regarding X2, I loved the main and end title theme, but it's rarely used in the movie and the score as a whole was rather bland outside the title sequences. But the Superman clips sound very good, but I'm going to see the film before I consider purchasing the soundtrack.

Ted

My knowledge of the score is limited to my one viewing of the film last summer, and though I do recall the music, I found it hard to focus on it because the film was so irritably bad. There was a main theme, if I recall, that was kind of generic hero stuff, but it was used throughout the film, and of course swells to a loud volume in the last shot before the end credits (naturally). At any rate, it wasn't terrible, but it was nothing special.

I am not familiar with the score, but I like the main titles, even though they're about as generic as it comes. Concidering the film they came from, I don't mind it. I'm not expecting anything groundbreaking. But it does sound good to me.

Regarding X2, I loved the main and end title theme, but it's rarely used in the movie and the score as a whole was rather bland outside the title sequences.

I quite like the score, though the main theme is far too similar to Mancini's Lifeforce for my liking.

IMO you can pass on Fantastic Four (though Doug Fake loves it). If it's good Ottman stuff you're looking for, I strongly recommend Incognito, which Ottman himself has stated was the first score where he really used his own voice, and not some mix of Goldsmith, Williams, and what would eventually become his own voice (like he did on The Usual Suspects).

Your comments would normally suffice. But superman has but ONE (or maybe three, damn you Williams!) theme.

That's only because no one after Williams has really tried to write an original Superman theme. There could be more than one theme for the character if composers didn't spend so much time utilizing Williams themes. Look at the Star Trek films for example. Horner didn't utilize Goldsmith's themes. Rosenman didn't quote Horner (but it might have helped). It would help if the flavor changed with the composers. That way, you could see what composers can really do with Superman.

It's probably just because of the fact that these are Williams themes we're talking about. If Goldsmith had scored the film as originally intended, I doubt people would be quoting him. Not because the themes wouldn't have been good, but because he's not John Williams.

Look at the Star Trek films for example. Horner didn't utilize Goldsmith's themes. .

He did,for Battle Beyond the Stars.

k.M.

Look at the Star Trek films for example. Horner didn't utilize Goldsmith's themes. .

He did' date='for Battle Beyond the Stars.

k.M.[/quote']

I'm talking about quoting his Star Trek work in Star Trek II and III.

And I've heard about this a couple of times from people but not heard Battle Beyond the Stars as of yet. What exactly did Horner steal this time?

Have a look at the new FSM Online issue. They've got a lengthy (27 minutes) audio interview with Ottman about Superman Returns, complete with some audio clips.

And I've heard about this a couple of times from people but not heard Battle Beyond the Stars as of yet. What exactly did Horner steal this time?

Parts of Klingon Battle, note for note. The blaster beam makes a few appearances too. The love theme also has similarities to Ilia's theme.

Not to mention a near note for note copy from Alexander Nevsky as well as a few cribs from Star Wars although if you have the GNP release you'll hear rips from Jaws, not the shark theme, in Humanoids Of The Deep.

Goldsmith's ST:TMP rips are the most blatant though.

Just gave it a listen at work and boy is that a lame performance with all sorts of funky edits and extensions in it and little power behind it. It might sound like Williams rehearsing with an orchestra, but that's about it. Give me the LSO, RSNO and the Boston Pops recordings any day over this. A real disappointment.

Neil

Didnt they said they hadnt used the intro part of the march used in the 1978 film?

I wondered about that or maybe that's just been cut from the OST release but does feature in the film.

Just gave it a listen at work and boy is that a lame performance with all sorts of funky edits and extensions in it and little power behind it. It might sound like Williams rehearsing with an orchestra, but that's about it. Give me the LSO, RSNO and the Boston Pops recordings any day over this. A real disappointment.

Neil

I can accept the edits here and there but the lack of power is disappointing. Maybe this video doesn't do their performance justice?

It would be rather strange for them to cut if for the OST (but sillier things have been made). Maybe they didnt used it in the movie, but i think it worls great for the background of the Warner, DC and etc logos...

Neil

I thought when Soundtrack.Net posted their sneak preview the performance of the main theme was sloppy.

Neil

I thought when Soundtrack.Net posted their sneak preview the performance of the main theme was sloppy.

I couldn't really judge by 30 seconds. Now that I've heard it...yeah, it's a let down.

Neil

I for my part am just glad that the full theme found its way into the movie. God knows that's not a given with today's sequels.

Have a look at Batman Begins.

I liked the video, although, I don't have anything to compare it with. I never heard the original outside of the film.

Anybody catch this from the score segment?

donwilliams.jpg

Didn't realize JW was Philip Seymour Hoffman's uncle.

Fricken Hysterical!

JMan

I thought the performance was fine ... compared to the other performances recorded over the years.  I really want to know how the new Krypton cue sounds like now that they have thrown out the prologue.

MySpace Film Music Group

I was reading some of the posts on your linked page and it seems that quite a few people on there hold the Kong score in very high regard. Some posters chose cues from it as being in their personal top five. I'm quite suprised by this, but I certainly agree its a quality score, especially considering the circumstances in which it was written. Glad to see it getting the recognition it deserves :P

Wow, top five of all time? I'll have to take a look. I know a few people picked it as one of the best scores of last year.

In fact, I know I did. For myself, of the top 5 scores of 2005, John Williams composed four of them and the other was by James Newton Howard.

This year is turning out to be quite exciting.

Feel free to fill out the survey, if you like.

MySpace Film Music Group