The OFFICIAL Superman Returns Score thread

I don't see why Jerry Siegel's and Joe Shuster's names have to be all over this thing anyway. They're not personally associated with this film. They just wrote some material 68 years ago that happens to have been used in this film.

Neil

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but this is the soundtrack, on which the focus is the music. And if the score draws as much on Williams' old themes as soundtrack.net and Ottman claim, then Williams should get credit.

Ted

First Listen!

-Erik-

Oh Man - Ottman's nailed it......

Absolutely stunning stuff, even on that evidence.....and dig that chord alteration in the final track!!

Greg - who was apathetic but now can't wait for the album release....

this is the closest this composer is going to get to that sweeping romantic score for the moment. And that may be why it sounds unlike anything Ottman has composed so far. It is bold and energetic, but here is a caveat. The Superman March is nowhere to be found (except for the "Main Titles"). The Krypton Theme and the Kent Family Theme both make short cameos on the album and don't go looking for the March of the Villains (AKA Otis' Theme) or the Kryptonite/Legacy Motif. Superman Returns is not a mindless rehash of John Williams' original material; it is an inventive and strong continuation of the vein that was tapped into for the first time in 1978.

Stuff sounds good so far

The OST is like JPIII it has the bolder Williams theme statement, but the rest must be original music from the actual composer, afterall, it's Ottman's movie.

Im sure the movie has more of Williams themes than this.

At least the March, and we have heard snippets of Love theme (as i prediccted they coulnt cut it from the march, i wonder what the composer and director think when they re-read their 'Love theme from superman is too dated for today's standars...).

My favorite theme from the Superman canon is neither the March nor the opening Fanfare, but rather the Kent Family Theme. John Williams created such an infectious Americana melody for the wheat fields and simple life of Smallville, Kansas, a theme that owes a lot to Aaron Copland's vintage style. The cue "Leaving Home" from the original soundtrack to Superman has to rank as one of my all-time favorite score pieces, but the great thing about the score as a whole is that Williams' clarity of vision was such that it is a masterpiece every cue of which can be studied and appreciated

has this guy heard 'The Cowboys' and 'Midway'? :roll:

Don't know if he has, but I haven't.

Not trying to judge the score by a bunch of snippets, but this defintely sounds good.

Don't know if he has, but I haven't.

Well that kent theme appears there...

EDIT: After hearing the snipets, i definately im going to get this score. Its always cool to hear new interpretations of Williams material. :(

Love what I heard so far! The movie comes out at the end of December? I was under the impression the release date was close to May.

But being not that interested in the movie itself, I might have confused that with X- Men.

Concerning the use of the 'Krypton Theme' in the track 'Tell me Everything'................

DAY-UM!!!

I haven't heard much of Ottman's music. I own X2 and found parts of it literally thrilling and beautiful....but most of it lacking a strong theme (or at least not developing the themes enough) or memorable music. Would anyone recommend Fantastic Four or this Superman score? If it's even out yet?

Now THAT'S normal! Wednesday and Tuesdays have no feel, easy to mix up. Monday has a feel, Friday has one, Sunday too maybe, but confusing June with December?

But I'm getting too deep into the Seinfeld trivia ROTFLMAO

Wait, that's it! Before I wrote that post, I just read the script to the episode in which George is getting engaged, and the wedding was supposed to take place in December!

Seems like it made some kind of impression on me :D

The samples to the new score sound cool. It definitely has a Williams-esque vibe to it but without sounding too much like him, so Ottman still managed to retain his own voice. But it certainly sounds like a great superhero score.

Tim

I reluctantly admit that the soundclip sound good.Much better than Doyle's feeble attempt to follow Williams in GoF.

KM likes it..what?

I dunno about the Personal Theme though...

K.M.Who can make the soundtrack net clips work now that he has broadband

Hmm, I guess I'm the only one feeling a little underwhelmed by those samples. While it has contrived performances of our beloved themes, the rest of it sounds like standard (albeit good) film music. Sigh... I just feel like no other composer besides Williams seems to be able to get inside the film's universe and create a unique sound world and highly memorable, interesting themes (when he's not on Kent-Family-Theme autopilot).

I guess that must mean I'm a fanboy.

Bloody clips won't work for me, even with Quicktime.

I found myself having to right-click inside each Quicktime pop-up window and left-clicking refresh each time....got it to work eventually....

I haven't heard much of Ottman's music.  I own X2 and found parts of it literally thrilling and beautiful....but most of it lacking a strong theme (or at least not developing the themes enough) or memorable music.  Would anyone recommend Fantastic Four or this Superman score? If it's even out yet?

Well, this time the themes are Williams', so the strong themes are there ROTFLMAO

Hearing the soundsamples at soundtrack.net (thanx guys!) I've got goosebumps when I heard the short rendition of the "Leaving Home" theme in the second sample track.

Well I'm fairly pleased. Although I think the choir's overused. Other than that, I'm looking forward to seeing how it works out on the big screen. I'm sure I'm going to bawl through the opening credits, being as how that sounds very close to Williams and I've never seen Supes on the big screen. I bet "Rough Flight" has a statement or two in it that will be good listens that weren't included in the sample. I'm just hoping for an equivalent to "Chasing Rockets" for this one. Something that has the same kind of energy and excitement.

I reluctantly admit that the soundclip sound good.Much better than Doyle's feeble attempt to follow Williams in GoF.

I doubt it was ever Doyle's intention to "follow Williams" anywhere.

Justin - Who wonders if it was Doyle's idea to use Hedwig's Theme at all.

Reading through the story & photos at Soundtrack.net I see that there is another. I never new about Don Williams. Does anyone have the scoop on him?

boyschoir.jpg

Also, it seems that there are a few tall, possibly busty"boys" in the Superman Boys Choir.

I might get crucified for this, but I don't care:

I'm completely tired of hearing news of a film to utilize themes of the previous film(s) that were composed by someone else. In my opinion, if you want those themes, hire the person who wrote them. Not to say that Williams would necessarily want to score Superman Returns or Jurassic Park III, but it annoys me to no end. If I were a composer and was asked to use someone else's themes for my film, I'd probably refuse.

I can understand making little nods to the previous composer (the Alexander Courage material used oh-so briefly in the Star Trek scores) and that's about it. I think that this trend needs to end very, very, very soon. Let the person you hire write their own material!

I guess it sort of depends on your self-respect versus your respect for the original composer. If I was ever a rich and famous composer, and was hired to score a new Superman film, I'd reference Williams's material. The fanfare, the march, and the love theme, absolutely. Otherwise, I would try to be as original as possible. I admire the original themes and their place in the canon too much not to take them into consideration. However, the Jurassic Park series doesn't really need Williams's music. It's not so iconic. I found Davis's constant reiteration of Williams's material with subpar orchestration and performance very aggravating.

Hey, I've been lurking around here for some time, and decided to actually start posting now...

I really like what I hear from the soundclips. Being realistic, I expected this to be mainly a "Don Davis -Jurassic Park" sort of score, with endless (and pointless) repetition of John Williams' themes, but I really think Ottman has nailed it. Obviously though, I can't judge its functioning in the film yet.