Most overrated film composer?

Eric_JWFAN

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nyman's Gattaca is one of my favorite listens...and also extremely effective in the movie.

I disagree and I hardly think he's overrated

Aside from the Shawshank Redemption, I don't find much of his work very appealing....

Nyman's Gattaca is one of my favorite listens...and also extremely effective in the movie.  

Aside from the Shawshank Redemption, I don't find much of his work very appealing....

You took the words right out of my mouth. I can't even think of a T.Newman score outside of Shawshank (which is wonderful btw).

Easy! Hans Zimmer.

The immense and wide public appreciation this guy receives is just silly and frightening at the same time. Every kid seems to know him and everyone seems to like his stuff even if its miles away from good, effective film music (or music while we are at it). Good that there are people at least in the film music community like Christian Clemmensen who repeatedly point out what's wrong with the Zimmer-hype.

My second choice is Brian Tyler. I have heard nothing outstanding from this guy but the praise for him in the film music community seems widely spread.

Then, there is michael giacchino. He is a newcomer and produces some really solid work but I don't hear that much outstanding ideas or a strong musical identity that would make him worth of the praise he received recently. Maybe people are just glad that he can handle an orchestra really well and that he isn't connected with the remote control assembly line.

Okay, and even if I will catch a lot of flack with my following comment, but I think Goldsmith can be quite overrated as well. He did lots of outstanding scores but a string of real bad ones as well.

Easy! Hans Zimmer.

The immense and wide public appreciation this guy receives is just silly and frightening at the same time. Every kid seems to know him and everyone seems to like his stuff even if its miles away from good, effective film music (or music while we are at it). Good that there are people at least in the film music community like Christian Clemmensen who repeatedly point out what's wrong with the Zimmer-hype.

I'd like to see Zimmer do an entire major score without a computer/synth. I don't dislike or disrespect him, but it seems like he's always been surrounded by the most legendary electronic studio for the past 10-15 years or so. His pics from the 90s looked like he had sound modules for wallpaper (he's probably consolidated since).

Could he be a paper/pencil guy like JW?

Easy! Hans Zimmer.

I'd like to see Zimmer do an entire major score without a computer/synth. I don't dislike or disrespect him, but it seems like he's always been surrounded by the most legendary electronic studio for the past 10-15 years or so. His pics from the 90s looked like he had sound modules for wallpaper (he's probably consolidated since).

Could he be a paper/pencil guy like JW?

I think the paper/pencil thing is a mind over matter issue. If you don't mind it doesn't matter. If you truly believe that it influences your writing at a piano, then it will, and if you don't...it doesn't matter.

Hans Zimmer won't be any better writing by pencil and paper, or any worse.

A set of keys is a set of keys is a set of keys...be it electronic or a grand piano. How what you play is recorded, be it transferred to notes in digital form, or written by hand carries only as much impact as you feel it gives you.

As for a non-electronic score, his smaller scores like Spanglish are the closest you'll come to it, and it is a wonderful listen, if you can find it.

He may be the obvious and "cheap" choice... but Zimmer is certainly a strong contender here.

Just because it's cheap and obvious doesn't mean it's wrong. :)

You took the words right out of my mouth. I can't even think of a T.Newman score outside of Shawshank (which is wonderful btw).

Angels in America and Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events are very nice.

Tim

Angels in America and Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events are very nice.

Tim

:)

OK maybe I'll give some points to "The Letter That Never Came"

Actually I think Thomas Newman's music is absolutely wonderful! His American Beauty score is a minimalistic masterpiece! There is sooo much subtlety...but there is an incredible amount going on. THe score goes perfectly with the movie on so many different levels it would take an entire class to study it!

Also, I love his television work. His very quirky style of writing suits me just perfectly!

For my nomination, I'd have to go with Hans Zimmer. His score to the Lion King is great...but....every single score of his after that...it's all just religioso themes. Dramatic Hymns. Except of course for when he's making electronic farting noises during action scenes.

Ennio Morricone. I really like some of his scores, but often using him as a selling point for some movies, as well as being the only film composer some of my friends can name is a bit of a concern.

Ennio Morricone.  I really like some of his scores, but often using him as a selling point for some movies, as well as being the only film composer some of my friends can name is a bit of a concern.

He's not overrated. He did great things. Have you never seen them Sergio Leone films? I guess not. Just be a good guy and say "Zimmer".

Alex

I think we might as well just unanimously agree on Zimmer and Badelt, then talk about the third most overrated composer. It makes for much more interesting conversation.

Ennio Morricone.  I really like some of his scores, but often using him as a selling point for some movies, as well as being the only film composer some of my friends can name is a bit of a concern.

He's not overrated. He did great things. Have you never seen them Sergio Leone films? I guess not. Just be a good guy and say "Zimmer".

Alex

I have seen them. Not great enough to justify why Average Joe mysteriously knows his name.

LUKE, Im one person who finds Giacchino to be nothing special, yet we have thread after thread on the hack. All you others suck his music like its a tit full of milk.

I would say Ennio Morricone as well but he's rarely discussed even though he has done some interesting work.

I have seen them.  Not great enough to justify why Average Joe mysteriously knows his name.

No, only some of the greatest scores in the history of film... :?

They're unique, but they didn't do much for me. Sorry. :)

They're unique, but they didn't do much for me.  Sorry.  :)

The fact that they are unique rules him out for most overrated composer.

He has a style of his own, and knows how to bring the best out of a movie.

I second Joe in voting for Giapoopoo!

I'm a massive fan of Tom Newman - overrated? No way.

Listen to Road to Perdition, The Horse Whisperer, American Beauty then get back to us - he's a creative genius.

My nominations are Zimmer, Giacchino (I like his work for Lost, Alias and the Medal of Honor series, but I'm unimpressed outside of those) and Barry.

Also, and dare I say it, Shore. Nothing outside LotR has remotely impressd me as much (I couldn't see anything in the Aviator for example).

I'll give the Morricone-doubters the benefit of the doubt: they simply have no clue what they're talking about.

It's totally understandable that messageboards populated with rather young folk indoctrinated by the american film market lack a certain knowledge about european cinema and film history in general. It's common. But maybe, JUST MAYBE, they simply should pop in a movie like 'Queimada' or 'Citta Violenta' or 'Giu' la Testa' or the countless other things Morricone did.....and stop re-watching the Death Star explosion or the Desert Chase or whatever blockbuster gets viewed the zilch'd time this week.

It may sound a bit bitter, but i find it truly disheartening that so many people miss out on the european stuff. Morricone is only mentioned in conjunction with

a) The Mission

B) The Untouchables

c) some spaghetti westerns here or there

d) the 'terrible' organ music in 'Mission to Mars'

So, let there be light! Try to experiment a wee bit more and you'll find a lot of premium stuff in this vast output of his.

Oh yes just assume everyone here bases their decision on mainstream stuff and that we haven't even bothered to sample other works outside of American cinema.

Some of us do and we still find nothing special. There are good and bad and a majority suffer the same problems US films do. Bad pacing, poor plots and crappy music. Don't get me wrong there are a few gems but there are just as many un-interesting films made overseas as in the US and the same can be said for composers as well.

Yes, we must all run out and buy the 6 or 700 scores Morricone has composed and see the light!

Stefancos, voice of the American indoctrinated young folk that keeps rewatching the Death Star explosion.

There is only one 1977 version of the Death Star explosion.

Ah but 2 different sound mixes. :mrgreen:

The original, and then another mix when it expanded into more theaters.

Zimmer - without a doubt.

Who is he!? *flings out arms*

Who is he!? Where did you find him!?!?

Hans Zimmer?! Come on, he's a brilliant film composer. He has a gift for melodies that the vast majority can enjoy. The film industry is at its core all about giving the VAST MAJORITY of people a 2 hour brainless reality escape. For that purpose Zimmer is perhaps one of the best in the industry. His popularity is undeniable, and it's not like he's a hot 18 year old blonde, meaning his popularity obviously stems from his actual talent for music. Granted, his music is certainly not art on the intellectual level of the great orchestral composers such as Williams, Goldsmith & Herrmann etc. but for what it is, and what it tries to be, I think you guys ought to cut him some slack. History shows that it's the composers with the greatest ability to conjure fantastic melodies who are remembered and held in high regard. Williams isn't famous for his intricate action writing, his sophisticated musical language or his genius orchestration sensibilities. He's simply known for creating a bunch of memorable themes. Looking back on Zimmer's output you simply cannot deny his consistent output of superb melodies. How does this make him overrated in any way?

Hans Zimmer?! Come on, he's a brilliant film composer. He has a gift for melodies that the vast majority can enjoy. The film industry is at its core all about giving the VAST MAJORITY of people a 2 hour brainless reality escape. For that purpose Zimmer is perhaps one of the best in the industry. His popularity is undeniable, and it's not like he's a hot 18 year old blonde, meaning his popularity obviously stems from his actual talent for music. Granted, his music is certainly not art on the intellectual level of the great orchestral composers such as Williams, Goldsmith & Herrmann etc. but for what it is, and what it tries to be, I think you guys ought to cut him some slack. History shows that it's the composers with the greatest ability to conjure fantastic melodies who are remembered and held in high regard. Williams isn't famous for his intricate action writing, his sophisticated musical language or his genius orchestration sensibilities. He's simply known for creating a bunch of memorable themes. Looking back on Zimmer's output you simply cannot deny his consistent output of superb melodies. How does this make him overrated in any way?

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUM ... ... DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM ... ... ... DUUUUUUUUUUUM

Brilliant stuff.

I wish Alan Menkin would would score more movies, especially live action ones. He has a real gift for catchy melodys and his orchestration is always interesting.

How about Patrick Doyle? Before Potter 4 was released, I heard people claim he is a good composer. I only did hear Potter 4, so I can't judge, but I have been thoroughly unimpressed with that one.