Does anyone here dislike or hate Hedwig's Theme

JoeinAR

Certainly the first two Potter scores. The third is a departure from that style.

Neil

Funny, I find the third to be far closer to the Williams classics than the other two.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always thought Sorcerer's Stone had the greatest blend of old and new Williams, maybe even moreso than the prequels.

and I forget who it was that mentioned the LOTR themes, but those are for hardcore LOTR fans, the casual movie fan is much more likely to know the theme from Harry Potter simply because its been so in our faces for 7 years now.

I don't know, I know a lot of people who would recognize the Fellowship theme, even if it's just "that music from Lord of the Rings".

Especially as a fan of the big, thematic Star Wars scores, I'd imagine you'd get at least a little enjoyment from the Potter ones, Vosk.

Certainly the first two Potter scores. The third is a departure from that style.

Neil

Wait a sec, Neil, you've hinted that you're not the greatest fan of Azkaban, but it's got its themes straighter than Chamber of Secrets, which presents some new themes and then a lot of almost completely random recycling of previous ones.

I definitely like it, but for the past month or so I just haven't been able to connect to it. The concert piece remains one of my 5 favorite Williams tracks of all time.

I choose what I want to listen to just as much as anyone else.

I don't flat-out refuse to listen to anything. There are a few genres I wouldn't bother listening to myself - because I generally have no interest in them whatsoever - i.e. it cannot apply to any film score.

I won't give the Potter scores a chance

But... why??

Please everyone. Vosk probably has very strong religious objections against the Harry Potter films, which deal with stuff like witchcraft, black sorcery and voodoo.

We must respect his beliefs in this matter.

So he musn't listen to Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom either.

Heaven better be worth that.

Vosk, stick to your guns. You shouldn't let anyone else influence what you think or like.

I don't hate the Hedwig Theme, but I don't like it either. I could do without it.

How can i dislike a theme written for a bird? :lol:

I dont like harry potter... i even 'felt' betrayed when i read Williams was doing the score...

Bur in the end i was sad Williams left the series.

Still i dont like harry potter and i have not yet seen POA and beyond but i could not ban me from hearing Music by the maestro.

fair enough, but it still makes no sense to be a John Williams fan, and not to listen to one of his greatest themes of the last 2 decades. somehow I do suspect you have heard it, but are just having fun being contrary

keep in mind there's no logical reason for your hate of AotC,Hook and Last Crusade.The latter 2 are great JW scores and AotC is still ok to listen to

Just imagining what I would be missing if I refused to listen to every JW score written for a movie that I despise...

If that were the case with other composers I'd probably have a very small Goldsmith collection..... :lol:

Vosk, stick to your guns. You shouldn't let anyone else influence what you think or like.

I don't hate the Hedwig Theme, but I don't like it either. I could do without it.

Thanks AI.

Please everyone. Vosk probably has very strong religious objections against the Harry Potter films, which deal with stuff like witchcraft, black sorcery and voodoo.

We must respect his beliefs in this matter.

Um I never said I had strong religious objects against the Potter films, where in any of my posts did I ever say that? I never once said that.

I'm just saying that the Potter scores are something I wouldn't want to listen to and to answer Ender's question I have listened to Indiana Jones' scores and plan on getting them eventually.

Hedwig's theme doesn't do much for me. I always felt Tink's theme would have made the perfect theme for HP if it wasn't already used for Hook.

The Harry Potter scores are greatly inspired by Hook. Particulary "Hedwig's theme".

sorry but that is not true at all. Not in the least.

keep in mind there's no logical reason for your hate of AotC,Hook and Last Crusade.The latter 2 are great JW scores and AotC is still ok to listen to

Joey's heard those scores, so he can make an informed decision.

Neil

fair enough, but it still makes no sense to be a John Williams fan, and not to listen to one of his greatest themes of the last 2 decades. somehow I do suspect you have heard it, but are just having fun being contrary

there is a difference km, I don't like the films, but I do occasionally listen to the scores, which means that I have ACTUALLY LISTENED TO THEM, small detail that seems to escape your mind. I don't know about you but at least once a year I do a complete JW score rotation, even the subpar AOTC

Hedwig's theme doesn't do much for me. I always felt Tink's theme would have made the perfect theme for HP if it wasn't already used for Hook.

The Harry Potter scores are greatly inspired by Hook. Particulary "Hedwig's theme".

sorry but that is not true at all. Not in the least.

Regardless, they are still interchangeable. Well, I'm not sure Hedwig's Theme would work for Tink, but definitely the other way around.

there is a difference km, I don't like the films, but I do occasionally listen to the scores, which means that I have ACTUALLY LISTENED TO THEM, small detail that seems to escape your mind. I don't know about you but at least once a year I do a complete JW score rotation, even the subpar AOTC

Yes Joe is correct, some of us do listen to scores (Williams or other composers) before we form an opinion on them.

When I say I dislike composer..........or the score........ I've actually made an attempt to listen.

Edit - I just noticed I missed this second page of replies - this is in reply to the bottom of page 1.

Well Vosk, if you put it that way, no it doesn't matter to me at all if you don't want to listen to something, but I think you're denying yourself a lot of good music by deciding not to listen to something for whatever reason.

Back when I first got into scores, I was only interested in a few composers, and I actually considered myself a bit closed-minded and wished I knew how to find out about other music. Now, the reverse is happening, sort of. I've been listening to much, much more Williams lately and actually decided to give Schindler's List another chance, and I've now kept the entire album. My problem before was that I'd base my opinion of an entire album on just a few cues, whereas nowadays I try to give an album a full listen before I decide it isn't for me.

I guess I sometimes feel like you with composers like Shore, who blew me away with LotR, but I've liked little else that I've heard from him. Therefore, I'm rather hesitant to give other material by him a chance.

I defy you to listen to this and say that it has nothing in common with "Hedwig's theme".

so you pull a 7 second piece of music and say its the inspiration for the score.

Yeah I can pull out a bible quote to back up alot of things I say, and I can find snippets of John Williams scores that sound like John williams' other scores, it doesnt mean they are the same.

Pretty sure I heard snippets in WOTW that sounded like Jaws, and one part that sounded like Aliens, doesn't mean John was ripping himself or Horner off.

I'm talking themes, Joe. That particular theme (from Hook) has a lot in common with Hedwig's theme.

Here we go again.

The ironically ripped-off from 50 different threads discussion about musical rip-offs.

Why does JWFAN get stuck in loops so often?

First it was Goldsmith vs. Williams

Then it was Horner derivatives.

Then it was Hans Zimmer and Media Ventures.

Now it's ripping off period.

I defy you to listen to this and say that it has nothing in common with "Hedwig's theme".

so you pull a 7 second piece of music and say its the inspiration for the score.

Yeah I can pull out a bible quote to back up alot of things I say, and I can find snippets of John Williams scores that sound like John williams' other scores, it doesnt mean they are the same.

Pretty sure I heard snippets in WOTW that sounded like Jaws, and one part that sounded like Aliens, doesn't mean John was ripping himself or Horner off.

But dont you say the same about Across the Stars?

That's what bugs me, that you cannot accept the HP one while being the biggest supporter of the AOTC one.

I refuse to listen to any MV derivated score by principle ,if that can be considered close minded...

Ha ha, how sad. Really, it is.

I'm all for having principles, just not petty little pointless ones.

But there's a lot more to Hedwig's theme than that particular melody.

Once again, I'm talking about the particular theme, not the piece.

Here we go again.

The ironically ripped-off from 50 different threads discussion about musical rip-offs.

First it was Goldsmith vs. Williams

Then it was Horner derivatives.

Then it was Hans Zimmer and Media Ventures.

Now it's ripping off period.

Are you implying that we are ripping off our posts?

I think "Hedwig's Theme" is a classic Williams theme, and a very interesting theme conceptually. First of all, why Hedwig? And what is the ultimate function of this theme?

"Hedwig's Theme" is a theme for the entire Potter universe, of which Hedwig is the initial messenger, and this makes sense because the Harry Potter character is the very real premise of that universe. The theme for the owl becomes the theme for the man becomes the theme for the world. This is probably also why most of the other themes of Williams' Potter scores are transformations of "Hedwig's Theme". Subsequently, I find it one of Williams' most sophisticated leitmotivic creations.

And the original prologue version is a miraculous musical depiction of owls and flight. The very theme itself has an owlish 'hoot' to it (its rhythm is an actual owl hooting pattern), and the wonderful string passage work, and especially the fluttering trills (which beautifully evokes the movement of wings) and the low oboe chirps,- it is pure programmatic magic, and very much a work of genius, musically, dramatically, programmatically and conceptually.

Are you implying that we are ripping off our posts?

Yeah, if Horner was on this messageboard, this is how he would post. ;)

Perhaps it's a sign we should all return to our lives.

Naaaaah.

It's because we have not had a new Williams score in what feels like nine years, and there's no official announcement of anything coming soon.

Hey Indy IV is coming out in May...thats really not too long when you think about it.