Movies that take place in one day

Eric_JWFAN

I was watching ToD last night and just realized how the entire Pankot scene takes place in one day/night. This is most of the movie (arrival at Pankot Palace, feast, bedroom scene, both temple sacrifices, mine car chase etc).

What movies can you think of like this? How about ones where the entire film is just one day?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's also apparently a movie that 24 was based on, which takes place in real time.

I believe that would be Timecode, which is real time and has a four-way split screen throughout the movie.

It also coincidentally featured Xander Berkeley, who appeard in the pilot of 24 and later as a regular cast member.

I was watching ToD last night and just realized how the entire Pankot scene takes place in one day/night. This is most of the movie (arrival at Pankot Palace, feast, bedroom scene, both temple sacrifices, mine car chase etc).

What other movies can you think of like this?

well in the strictest terms Temple of Doom probabaly took place over a week or so, not one day

Day 1. Club ObiWan, street chase, flying out at late hours

Day 2. Plane crashes in India, journey to village

Day 3. Journey to Pankot

Day 4. arrival at Pankot, dinner, sacrifice, Indy, Willie, Shorty captured. Indy suffers black death of Kali(could be a day long thing)

Day 5. sacrifice of Willie is at some point in the day, could be night.

Day 5 or 6, mine car and bridge sequence.

Day 6 or 7 Journey from Pankot back to Village

Day 7 or 8 Arrival back in Village.

Incidentally, can somebody explain the timeline in Empire Strikes Back? While Luke's progress in the Jedi art seems imply weeks, the Empire's chase of the Rebels seems to take place in a couple of days at most.

Incidentally, can somebody explain the timeline in Empire Strikes Back? While Luke's progress in the Jedi art seems imply weeks, the Empire's chase of the Rebels seems to take place in a couple of days at most.

Ah yes. One of the things we'll have to live with....

I always just assumed that time on Dagobah passes differently than time did in space. Like how some planets have longer/shorter days and weeks than Earth does depending on their proximity to the sun.

I always just assumed that time on Dagobah passes differently than time did in space. Like how some planets have longer/shorter days and weeks than Earth does depending on their proximity to the sun.

Your lack of faith is disturbing... :lol:

Rebember that the Falcon has the hyperdrive damaged and they have to travel from Hoth to Bespin at sublight speed. Hoth and Bespin are not in the same star system.

We dont see most of luke's training and neither the boring trip from one planet to another.

Twelve Angry Men. Dog Day Afternoon. Long Day's Journey Into Night. The Andersn Tapes. Murder on The Orient Express (minus the flashbacks...although maybe it happens within a bit more than 24 hours). Fail-Safe. Sidney Lumet must like these kinds of movies. Dr. Stragelove. The Dresser (A night, a day, and a night). The Killing. I'm pretty sure that The Asphault Jungle, too. After Hours. The Goonies. Reservoir Dogs (although I guess the extended flashbacks exclude). Pulp Fiction. Clerks.

The actual passage of time would be the same though, just with different measurements.

Isn't this conception of time too linear and direct?

Day 4. arrival at Pankot, dinner, sacrifice, Indy, Willie, Shorty captured. Indy suffers black death of Kali(could be a day long thing)

Once they arrive in Pankot... I don't see anything that would make me think this isn't all in a 24 hour period.

Once they arrive in Pankot... I don't see anything that would make me think this isn't all in a 24 hour period.

you just don't know thats the thing. How long did Indy suffer the black death, how long did it take to convert him.

I suspect it was more than 24 hours because of Indy, and the enslavement of Short Round, but you may be right, there just isn't any way to be sure, but still Temple of Doom the whole move itself takes still roughly a week

This is a good question. I always assumed that the busted hyperdrive meant the trip to Bespin took a couple weeks.

And a great one day movie is Dazed and Confused.

There's also Nick of Time, of course. Don't remember the specifics of Da Vinci Code, but Angels & Demons as a book is mostly real-time and takes place within a day, except for the beginning and end.

There's also Nick of Time, of course. Don't remember the specifics of Da Vinci Code, but Angels & Demons as a book is mostly real-time and takes place within a day, except for the beginning and end.

No, The Da Vinci Code definitely takes place over a couple of days. And Pulp Fiction takes place over a couple of days (one night Vince takes Mia out, another day for the events with Jules, another day for his meeting with Buck).

A very recent addition would have to be Cloverfield.

Remember, time and space are relative.

Isn't this conception of time too linear and direct?

People assume that time is a strict line of progression, cause to effect. But actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's this great big ball of wibbly-wobbly...timey-wimey...stuff.

American History X. Begins one morning, primary action ends the next morning, and presumably, the film ends with that day's sunset.

But the flashbacks are key to that film's plot, and those take place over a longer period of time.

Anyway, the one's I thought of:

Empire Records

Mallrats

Caffeine

Clerks

Clerks 2

Friday

Next Friday

Friday After Next

Death at a Funeral

Pizza

Phone Booth

Airplane!

I'll go out on a limb here and say Cellular

Pitch Black may count, since they crash on the planet during the day and leave that night. We just don't know how long that night lasted...

I'll also guess a lot of your cheesy 80s slasher horror flicks happen during the course of one day or even only a single night. It's not a genre for which I care.

Out of any of the Star Trek movies, I think Star Trek First Contact came those closest, with regard to the bulk of the movie, since the Enterprise shows up in the past one night and returns to the future the following night, since the Phoenix takes off in broad daylight. But that leaves out all the early stuff, Picard's dream, the neutral zone patrol, and the journey back to Earth. So it doesn't count.

I thought it was pretty short, but I also seem to recall them having breakfast twice. Probably longer than a day after all.

Back to the Future part II has a story time of about two days... spread over 60 years.