Indiana Jones 4CD boxset this fall

Jay

If I were over 60 I'd be concerned about ever seeing the expanded IJ scores. Hopefully I've got enough years left.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet, if i remember correctly, the Raiders complete score surfaced here from a person that didnt even knew it was not available.

If someone had Raiders, some other could have TOD, or Crusade...

Yep,that was pretty much the LAST opportunity to release expanded Indy scores.

by what logic?

Its typical Lucas---put the cheap stuff back on the market and THEN release the super deluxe expansions...

hm, when did that happen..?

Haha, well, maybe its not typical Lucas, but it makes sense.

I just think its silly to think that just cause expanded releases arent coming now, means that they aren't coming ever....

It's like saying we'll never get the actual complete scores (intended versions) of all three Prequels. I'm sure one day we'll get them it's just a matter of when same goes for the previous Indy scores (maybe even all four).

I'll be honest, I'm suprised the IJ scores haven't been released yet in complete or expanded form outside of Raiders.

Well...at least I'll finally be able to get the original Indiana Jones soundtracks on CD. But, c'mon this was their big chance to release expanded versions. And to top it all off I'll have to rebuy KOTCS again to get them. I'm very disappointed. Hopefully, some record label will release the complete Indiana Jones scores, Blue Box style, someday.

Or the logical explanation was that FSM was provided with some material for their podcast.

See, this doesn't seem so logical to me.

If FSM wanted to do a podcast and for some reason they requested music, why would Paramount or Lucasfilm (or whoever owns the music rights) give them a snippet from some random track at the end of an unannounced, previously unavailable "Holy Grail" score like Indiana Jones? I'd imagine they'd just send a few tracks or the previously available CDs.

My guess is that someone at (or involved with) FSM has access to the complete masters - as used in a forthcoming expanded release, and they teased us with 30 seconds of it. Perhaps after Concord has done the "Lucas" thing and milked us all out of money on straight-reissues, they will capitalize on the Blu-Ray Quadrilogy box set.

Anyone at or around FSM that has been contacted about the music gives the standard, "can't say anything right now " answer. I take that to mean that they can say something later...

Maybe I'm just reading way too much into all of this.

Maybe I just really want complete releases of these score. :rolleyes:

I'm disappointed by this news. I'd definitely pay for a complete Crusade, and the decision to include KotCS is just strange - why not make them available separately in which form they're more likely to be picked up on whim by the average Joe?

I know you guys are trying to be optimistic, but what on earth makes you think we'll probably get expanded scores "someday"?

They've flat out said they're not releasing Star Wars Prequel scores, repeated patterns of behavior support this. I wouldn't imagine it would be any different for the less successful Indy films.

Perhaps someday, when the rights are lost or traded or someone finally decides to leak the complete scores (Indy + AOTC which is finished supposedly), but those probably won't run out for another 20-30 years, and by then, who's to guarantee there will still be interest? By then everyone will be listening to blips and whistles produced in someone's garage.

I wouldn't go flooding Concord with phone calls and e-mails.

There is nothing wrong with a polite letter or email inquiring about upcoming product. In the end it probably makes no difference, but there is nothing wrong with letting them know what you think of their product or what you would like to see. About a week ago, I sent a question to the store at indianajones.com telling them I wanted to buy the score to the new movie as well as the old movies and that I can't find them on the website.

Melange visualises 1000s of kids walking in lines towards shops to buy complete releases of the first 3 scores.

(Parade of the Slave Children playing, to accompany the scene :P.........Stefan whipping them :rolleyes: )

Let me explain.

If that new Indy movie is super successful and sparks the kind of interest in the character and previous movies in the current generation of kids like Jurassic Park and the follwing movies inspired mania about Dinosaurs and all things Jurassic in the form of TV shows (still being made) books etc, and the Lord of the Rings movies sparked countless re-releases of the novels and related novels, accompanying novels,and all manner of extended/deluxe editions of the scores and movies, then it wouldn't surprise me if complete (or, reasonbly complete) editions of the previous Indy scores are released sooner or later due to the new Indy movie's impact on today's spawn of Kids (saying that, I don't know what this movie has been rated...anyone?).

If interest and demand gets 'that' big (and not just whining demand from us score buffs), then the money will probably talk and make it happen (imo) sooner or later. The various people involved would be absolutely insane to miss that financial opportunity if such huge interests occurs as a result of that new Indy movie. If the Raiders march becomes a repetition in the minds of Kids today like it did for my generation, then it could very well happen. I don't think Kids would be satsfied with the march on the Crystal Score alone. They'd want more (and that's what I'm counting on). If some very clever people are involved, they could tap into this and make complete scores occur. Or, perhaps I've got this current generation wrong? Maybe these films are going to appeal more to the generation who watched Indy the first time around? Is Indy cool for Kids, now?

If not, and if he's not 'badass' enough for their interests, then my theory will collapse. :lol:

I'd be happy with a limited, 1000 count release. It'd be cheap to produce and could reap huge profits without taking the risk of a mass release not selling.

At least they would be available, out there, somewhere.

They probably don't have a division for limited releases, as if it would need a separate entity. Business is stupid. :rolleyes:

Concord Records proudly presents release the soundtrack to the latest installment of the Indiana Jones adventures, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. The soundtrack features an original score composed by Academy Award winner John William

After reading this, anything is possible with this company. Not one person proofread this paragraph.

Oh My God!!!!!!

Forget about that, they left the "s" off of Williams last name.....it's blaspemy!!!!!!

Yes folks it is one big conspiracy, Lukas Kendall and Doug Adams have the masters to all three films and they just sit back and laugh at us while they listen to them.

Except for those fortunate members here who were given copies.

(Whoops, I meant to post this here!!!)

They do it this way, because that's how they work. And by "they" I mean Lucasfilm.

They release the Indy 4 soundtrack.

Some time after that they'll release all 4 Indy soundtracks in a box set.

Some time after that they'll reissue the expanded RotLA soundtrack.

Some time after that they'll release--finally!--the expanded ToD and LC and KotCS soundtracks.

Sometime after that they'll release the expanded Indy soundtrack box set--a whooping 8 CDs!

Some time after that they'll release the COMPLETE edition of RotLA.

And so on...

They want us to buy the same old thingd over and over again . . .

Yes folks it is one big conspiracy, Lukas Kendall and Doug Adams have the masters to all three films and they just sit back and laugh at us while they listen to them.

Except for those fortunate members here who were given copies.

the truth is , THAT could be real. at least the kendall and adams part.

we know Lucasarts employess have the complete recording sessions of the prequels scores

This news is pretty hard to take. Indications seemed cautiously hopeful that we might get more music, but now it's looking like that's not the case. It would be great if Melange was right about the franchise becoming bigger in the mainstream public. I'm curious right now as to who is the bigger stopper in this case, though: Paramount or Lucasfilm?

This news is pretty hard to take. Indications seemed cautiously hopeful that we might get more music, but now it's looking like that's not the case. It would be great if Melange was right about the franchise becoming bigger in the mainstream public. I'm curious right now as to who is the bigger stopper in this case, though: Paramount or Lucasfilm?

I don't think paramount ahs anything to do with that

If they are "testing the waters" by releasing the scores unexpanded first,I am afraid it will fail. They might lure in a few "curious" casual fans,but all the serious Indy fans want expanded scores now.

Unfortunately, as usual, it probably does all come down to the money. Mike Matisseno said that the set would be extraordinarily expensive to produce, so I'm sure LFL are thinking whether it'll be prohibitively expensive. So they can either:

A: Spend a lot of money on expanded/complete soundtracks which - while loved in the film score world and by the mainstream world as films - if we're being honest don't have the mainstream appeal of the music from Star Wars or LOTR.

B: Reissue the originals at little cost.

I'd love them to go for A, but I can see this being B. I'm hoping I'm wrong, of course.

We know a few employees at various places do have access (I don't know about personal copies) to all the music from the Star Wars films. I imagine it's the same with Indy. But they don't want to leak any of them for fear of losing their jobs or getting sued. With all the industry "leakers" in every field, I wish one of them didn't care enough to leak the score, at least to a select few sources so they're out there.

Unfortunately, as usual, it probably does all come down to the money. Mike Matisseno said that the set would be extraordinarily expensive to produce, so I'm sure LFL are thinking whether it'll be prohibitively expensive. So they can either:

A: Spend a lot of money on expanded/complete soundtracks which - while loved in the film score world and by the mainstream world as films - if we're being honest don't have the mainstream appeal of the music from Star Wars or LOTR.

B: Reissue the originals at little cost.

I'd love them to go for A, but I can see this being B. I'm hoping I'm wrong, of course.

I'm glad someone is paying attention and understands. <_<

My one hope - if these are reissues - is that this will include the extended LP version of "Well Of The Souls," as I only have the Silva (same as the DCC?) version and thus not that version of the cue, assuming it'll fit on the CD.

I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who do not have the TOD CD or maybe all three that would probably buy it with this set.

you've no one to blame but yourself and your parents, its not our fault you weren't born in the 60's or 70's. :D

Wasn't it about 8-10 years ago when a bunch of the Japanese version of TOD started appearing in stores for $19.99? I remember Blockbuster music / Wherehouse records and Tower Records all had them in their used sections but they were all sealed, brand new.

I had a CDR up to that point but that's how I got my copy.

My one hope - if these are reissues - is that this will include the extended LP version of "Well Of The Souls," as I only have the Silva (same as the DCC?) version and thus not that version of the cue, assuming it'll fit on the CD.

Oh it will definitely fit. That being said I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Once we get confrmation there is no new music,we should all prepare e-mails expressing our dissapointement and send them to Concord Music Group.

Cheap bastards

Once we get confrmation there is no new music,we should all prepare e-mails expressing our dissapointement and send them to Concord Music Group.

Cheap bastards

:D

You know, just getting this music out there is important. More people can be exposed to it. Yes, it'd be nice to get something we don't have (maybe it'll have all new liner notes) but as hardcore fans, we're probably not the target market. I do hope that some extra material winds up on the set but I won't be mad if it doesn't.

Neil

You know, just getting this music out there is important. More people can be exposed to it. Yes, it'd be nice to get something we don't have (maybe it'll have all new liner notes) but as hardcore fans, we're probably not the target market. I do hope that some extra material winds up on the set but I won't be mad if it doesn't.

Neil

exactly. I'm just happy that I will be able to have Temple of Doom and Last Crusade.

I don't really understand the mindset of some people----"if they don't expand this, then this is a crap release and nobody else should have the opportunity to buy them since i already have 'em"

I'd still be pissed off if I didn't have an official copy of ToD ot Last Crusade.

A lot of us have been waiting 20+ years for an expanded Temple of Doom.

I'm kind of happy Accidental Tourist was re-issued,but I could also live with my cdr copy.Same if I only had ToD on cdr

If this is only straight re-issues ,it's the worst news in JWfan history. I don't even fell like commenting about it any more/

The LotR complete scores are a bit different than your average expanded/complete releases in that the composer actively wanted them released and championed and over saw the production. And of course the popular demand enabled those scores to be released in the first place as the record company saw market for this kind of product among the fan base of LotR films/books.

In the case of Indy or any other expanded/complete edition ever released e.g. SW scores JW has not expressed any particular interest in them at all. I am sure he approves them but he does not actively seek to provide the music in complete form to the fans of his most popular works. His personal involvement would surely speed up the process.

But it seems redundant to us to just re-release the original OSTs of the Indiana Jones scores. Concorde's/Lucas'/whose ever is involved logic of course is to capitalize on the Indiana Jones franchise and reap the benefits of the media exposure the new Indy film and thus to sell both the old films and the scores. And mass market audience is not as demanding as we are and buys what ever is offered to them in the craze of Indy fever. It is cheaper, easier and faster to press a large amount of the old OSTs than to start a costly production of complete releases which are likely to sell less than the cheaper OSTs. It might be a nice way to introduce a new generation to the Indiana Jones score but leaves a bitter taste in our mouths who have wished for the complete release of these extraordinary scores for years and years. A wasted opporturnity if they only release the OST CDs. But hey at least I can finally get the ToD OST I have been missing all these years and probably at a bargain price.

Wasn't it about 8-10 years ago when a bunch of the Japanese version of TOD started appearing in stores for $19.99? I remember Blockbuster music / Wherehouse records and Tower Records all had them in their used sections but they were all sealed, brand new.

I had a CDR up to that point but that's how I got my copy.

I got my Raiders and ToD OSTs directly from Lucasfilm in the early 1990s. They were sold through their catalogue as imports for $40/each. Prior to that I had ToD on LP.

But we are talking about a box set, not individual releases so this argument doesn't really hold. Box sets, especially a box set of a market niche like film music, are geared toward fans. That's why this release, if it does include KOTCS, is puzzling and seems destined to please no one. Casual fans aren't going to pay $40 or more to own these scores. Not when the average movie goer just wants to hear the Raiders March which they'll already have if they own KOTCS. Many hard core film score fans and casual fans alike will already own KOTCS when this box set gets released, hard core film score fans want MORE Indy music and casual fans will already own KOTCS and a recording of the Raiders March so who exactly is this thing being marketed toward? A very small group of hard core fans who don't own the OSTs at all. Like KM said, this release (if it just a reissue of all four OSTs) seems destined to fail and we won't see future releases of expanded/complete scores.