Pieces Williams MUST record on album

TownerFan

After hearing the new gorgeous arrangement of "Marion's Theme" that Williams debuted in Tanglewood last week, I found myself thinking that it's really time for JW to record another compilation album à là The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration. Here's a list of pieces I strongly hope Williams will record soon:

. "Marion's Theme" (new concert arrangement) from Raiders

. "Escapades for Alto Sax and Orchestra" from Catch Me If You Can

. "Dry Your Tears, Afrika" (concert version) from Amistad

. "Irina's Theme" (expanded concert arrangement) from Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

. "Escape from the City" and "Epilogue" (expanded concert arrangements) from War of the Worlds

. Theme From The Lost World (the concert version has a very cool, brassy intro)

. "Hymn to the Fallen" from Saving Private Ryan (I think he could record an even better performance than the one on the OST, especially the chorus)

These would be a great treat on an eventual Spielberg/Williams Vol.3. Then there are the pieces from other films:

. "A Bridge to the Past" and "The Knight Bus" (concert arrangements) from Prisoner of Azkaban

. Full "Harry Potter's Children Suite" (didn't he record it during the Sorcerer's Stone sessions?)

. Full Suite from JFK (Theme, The Motorcade, Arlington)

. Theme from The Patriot (concert arrangement)

. Theme from The Accidental Tourist (concert arrangement -- he played it in Chicago last November and it was amazing)

And then I sincerely hope he will record soon the Horn Concerto.

Did I miss something else worth?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Studio quality c.d. recordings of:

1-No existing bootlegs:

Celebration Fanfare

Fanfare for 10 year old

Fanfare for Michael Dukakis

Fanfare for Prince Philip

2-Following entries are entitled "JW Various Recordings Crappy Sound" in my itunes library:

Soundings

Were Lookin Good

Variations on Happy Birthday

Horn Concerto

NBC "rodeo" Theme

NBC Scherzo for Today

NBC Fugue for the Changing Times

The Lost World Theme with 1998 Tokyo performance opening.

Duel of the Fates instrumental

E.T. Botanicus (Universal E.T. ride)

Satellite Celebration (with choir)

Double Trouble (expanded concert arrangement with no choir)

3- The sound of these 2 is pretty good from the CSO Internet broadcast

Tributes

Fanfare for a Festive Occasion

4-And ,as pointed out:

Marions theme Concert Version

Irenas theme expanded concert version

HPSS Children's Suite

A Bridge to the Past.

"Dry Your Tears, Afrika" (concert version) from Amistad

Does that differ from the CD? If so, how?

Here are a few more pieces that come to mind:

Williams also recorded some pieces from Angela's Ashes with Yo-yo Ma that have yet to be released.

There is the Geisha suite, but that's being recorded for a CD shortly.

The concert version of The Flag Parade has never been released, as with Duel of the Fates without the chorus.

One thing I'd like to hear is a cello version of Monica's Theme from AI. There's a few bars on the CD of a cello playing that theme and it sounds sublime.

Which reminds me, I'd love Williams to do a Yoyo-Ma plays Williams like the Ennio Morricone CD on which Morricone made new arrangements of all the pieces.

The Far & Away suite he performs is also a little different with the Chieftans replaced. I think that change in instrumentation is the only change, apart from merging the first track on the CD with the End Credits.

I'd also like to hear the expanded "Something Wicked This Way Comes"

I would still like to hear the version of "Call Of The Champions" he recorded with the LSO

me too,the c.d version is really badly recorded .the trumpets and choir sound like they're in another room

"Dry Your Tears, Afrika" (concert version) from Amistad

Does that differ from the CD? If so, how?

There's a different opening and a more bombastic closure. It's not that different from the actual OST version, but it would be nice to have it.

And yes, I'd too totally love an album like Yo-Yo Ma Plays Morricone with new specially arranged pieces from various scores. Let's hope the upcoming Geisha suite recording Williams and Ma will record in Chicago in the next weeks will include also something like this.

I would like to see Williams revisit some of his older works, perhaps a disaster suite from The Posieden Adventure, Earthquake and Towering Inferno.

Or do a TV suite like Goldsmith did for the shows he scored.

1-No existing bootlegs:

Celebration Fanfare

Fanfare for 10 year old

2-Following entries are entitled "JW Various Recordings Crappy Sound" in my itunes library:

Soundings

Were Lookin Good

Horn Concerto

NBC "rodeo" Theme

NBC Scherzo for Today

Tributes

4-And ,as pointed out:

HPSS Children's Suite

A Bridge to the Past.

Yes yes yes yes yes. I'd pay good money for that CD. They could include the Monday Night Football Theme for good measure. It isn't all that great, but would make a fun intro to the CD.

After hearing the new gorgeous arrangement of "Marion's Theme" that Williams debuted in Tanglewood last week, I found myself thinking that it's really time for JW to record another compilation album à là The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration. Here's a list of pieces I strongly hope Williams will record soon:

. "Marion's Theme" (new concert arrangement) from Raiders

. "Escapades for Alto Sax and Orchestra" from Catch Me If You Can

. "Dry Your Tears, Afrika" (concert version) from Amistad

. "Irina's Theme" (expanded concert arrangement) from Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

. "Escape from the City" and "Epilogue" (expanded concert arrangements) from War of the Worlds

. Theme From The Lost World (the concert version has a very cool, brassy intro)

. "Hymn to the Fallen" from Saving Private Ryan (I think he could record an even better performance than the one on the OST, especially the chorus)

Did I miss something else worth?

I'd like him to include "Abandoned in the Woods" and "Monica's Theme" from A.I., "Minority Report" from Minority Report, "Thoughts of Home" from Munich, and the concert version of "Sayuri's Theme," as well.

:blink:

I would still like to hear the version of "Call Of The Champions" he recorded with the LSO

hm just confused...

Has this ever been officially anounced? The only reason why I think people would believe that is because in some internet movie fle you briefly saw some LSO Abbey Road Studios Footage together with Call of the Champions (I remember it well) but it was just a snippet and covered with dialogue.. it could have easily been just random video footage combined with random audo footage...

So how do you think that he actually did a re-recording with the LSO? For what purpose.. to have a "definetive version" in his private library?

It mentioned that Williams was recording a version with the LSO, and it may have even said for a future release or album.

You mean perhaps he improved the choral writing as well? :blink:

For the record, from what I know, Goldsmith didn't arrange those suites himself (I forget who did though).

The concert version of The Flag Parade has never been released

Actually, Erich Kunzel recorded it with the Cincinnati Pops.

For the record, from what I know, Goldsmith didn't arrange those suites himself (I forget who did though).

'Twas Morton Stevens (of Hawaii 50 fame), methinks.

Good call from Mark O. about the disaster movies. I would love to have a good quality re-recording of The Poseidon Adventure; so much of the underscore is quite subtle and impressionistic but the poor quality mono recording of the original soundtrack fails to do it justice (although I have no doubt that Film Score Monthly did the best they could from the available sources). Someone should also re-record the score for The Plainsman with a large orchestra and chorus.

The Final Duel/The Emperors Death would make a perfect concert piece. Williams has never touched the Emperor's theme outside of the OSTs.

The Darkside Beckons can never be succesfully re-recorded.

I know KM agrees with me.

hm just confused...

Has this ever been officially anounced? The only reason why I think people would believe that is because in some internet movie fle you briefly saw some LSO Abbey Road Studios Footage together with Call of the Champions (I remember it well) but it was just a snippet and covered with dialogue.. it could have easily been just random video footage combined with random audo footage...

So how do you think that he actually did a re-recording with the LSO? For what purpose.. to have a "definetive version" in his private library?

If I remember well, it was reported on an online article on BBC news or some other UK news website. Williams recorded "Call of the Champions" with the LSO and the London Voices just a few days before the Sorcerer's Stone sessions.

Speaking about yet unreleased Williams' fanfares and themes, I hope he or someone else will record "Esplanade Overture". It's probably my single favourite Williams piece ever.

The Final Duel/The Emperors Death would make a perfect concert piece. Williams has never touched the Emperor's theme outside of the OSTs.

I agree ,the mix of the chorus and orchestra or tempo would probably be off

But I am dying to hear a really re-mastered original recording

and I purposely omited Esplanade Overture .The Monsignor cue is almost identical

If I remember well, it was reported on an online article on BBC news or some other UK news website. Williams recorded "Call of the Champions" with the LSO and the London Voices just a few days before the Sorcerer's Stone sessions.

it was AotC

I forgot a last one,an Escape from Naboo like cue for the Athens Olympics

"Off" is a relative term. It would probably sound different than the original recording. It *should* sound different. It just *might* be better. More likely, it will just be *different*. And different can be good, there's no reason why a different take on this cue must automatically be bad.

Beethoven's symphonies are still constantly being performed and "re-recorded" (a term I increasingly dislike) these days, and every once in a while, one of the new versions is substantially worthwhile. The Rolling Stones are still playing their songs from the 60s at concerts today, and while the general consensus is that they were at their peak in the 60s, the current live version of those songs often beat the original album recordings (when they're in good form - which apparently is somewhat of a gamble these days).

It would certainly be difficult. Unless Williams himself does it, it probably wouldn't have enough prestige to warrant the necessary amount of budget and rehearsal time. But I say it's a chance worth taking. If it turns out to be simply bad, we can simply ignore it. If it turns out to be good, it'd be a great addition to the available Williams recordings.

As well as the recording by Frederic Talgorn and the Royal Scottish National Orchestra, which is awesome (along with Duel of the Fates, which is also awesome).

Jamesyboy

But I am dying to hear a really re-mastered original recording

Then pull out your Anthology set. The sound quality's great.

As well as the recording by Frederic Talgorn and the Royal Scottish National Orchestra, which is awesome (along with Duel of the Fates, which is also awesome).

Jamesyboy

Oh yeah I meant a Williams recording.

I love those, but there's just something special about Williams doing it himself.

Williams should record some of those unreleased selections when he conducts Memoirs with the Chicago Symphony. The rest he could do with the New York Philharmonic. I love the sound of their brass.

On another note, does anyone know if this CD is any good?

John Williams Greatest Hits

The back says "The Film Studio Orchestra". Is is one of those third-rate ensembles / synth? It is a well-known record label...

John Williams Greatest Hits

The back says "The Film Studio Orchestra". Is is one of those third-rate ensembles / synth? It is a well-known record label...

I have that back in Australia but probably haven't listened to it in ten years.

I don't recall it being that bad. I think Born on the 4th sounded pretty good.

I think at the time it was released it had one of the few, or only recordings of Poseidon, which was what attracted me to the CD..maybe.

At a little more than a dollar, I don't think you'd regret it.

If it was $10 or more, I'd say nah.

My memory is a little vague though...it certainly wasn't something I listened to much.

There's certainly worse around though

1-No existing bootlegs:

Celebration Fanfare

Fanfare for 10 year old

Soundings

Were Lookin Good

Horn Concerto

NBC "rodeo" Theme

NBC Scherzo for Today

Tributes

4-And ,as pointed out:

HPSS Children's Suite

A Bridge to the Past.

Indeed. And: We're Looking Good! which is probably his best Olympic theme.

There is also a Varese rerecording of this and other pieces from TPM on an album of 1999 film scores.

"Off" is a relative term. It would probably sound different than the original recording. It *should* sound different. It just *might* be better. More likely, it will just be *different*. And different can be good, there's no reason why a different take on this cue must automatically be bad.

Beethoven's symphonies are still constantly being performed and "re-recorded" (a term I increasingly dislike) these days, and every once in a while, one of the new versions is substantially worthwhile. The Rolling Stones are still playing their songs from the 60s at concerts today, and while the general consensus is that they were at their peak in the 60s, the current live version of those songs often beat the original album recordings (when they're in good form - which apparently is somewhat of a gamble these days).

It would certainly be difficult. Unless Williams himself does it, it probably wouldn't have enough prestige to warrant the necessary amount of budget and rehearsal time. But I say it's a chance worth taking. If it turns out to be simply bad, we can simply ignore it. If it turns out to be good, it'd be a great addition to the available Williams recordings.

Exactly, the point of rerecordings is not to replicate the original but to give it a fresh take. If I wanted something that sounded exactly like the original I would just listen to the original. The point is, this music deserves to be recorded and performed.

I don't know what I would like to hear re-recorded, but I know what should never be re-recorded again: the Star Wars main titles.

It should be banned by law from any Williams compilation for the next twenty years.

That and "Flying" from E.T.

If he was going to re-record one piece, I'd want a re-recording of "Superstructure Chase." Make it sound just like the original recording, only with better sound quality--that is, if a better source for it isn't found and released.

Superstructure chase is just a rehash of the final battle from Star Wars,of which we had plenty of re recordings.In fact It's the cue I care least about in RotJ.

Oh my, he was serious about the special effects...

What about the original material in Superstructure Chase? Even though apparently it's not certain that it was written by Williams...

Didn't Silva Screen also record the Flag Parade concert version?

I've got that Greatest Hits CD, one of my first compilations and Williams CDs. I remember being excited for the inclusion of Short Round's theme (I only had the S/W Collaboration then). It's a decent CD, nothing out of the ordinary though. But frankly I'd have to listen to it again to make a decent judgment.

By the way, if you want a piece rerecorded, you might always politely mail Silva Screen with a request. Though I don't believe at all in petitions or its kind, I did that for the Harry Potter 3 concert suites, and, well, apparently it doesn't do any harm asking.