Man Of Steel (2013 Superman reboot directed by Zack Snyder)

Luke Skywalker

The Superman Returns score was already quite weak in my opinion, his revival of the Williams music made things even worse. It's another case of a composer using Williams' music and it sounding all wrong.

Ottman 'stole' a franchise from Williams and isn't very popular.

He didn't steal anything, he just did a poor job in handling Williams' music.

It's not something that's easy to explain. It's like trying to explain how JW does what he does. What makes JW music that which it is.

Other composers should stick to their own thing.

Zimmer is also working on the Nolan-produced "Superman" reboot and says that he won't be reusing John Williams' legendary theme, but will try and do something as resonate and iconic with the music that also sounds familiar - much like the work he's done on the "Batman" films following on from the iconic Danny Elfman-theme used in "Batman" and "Batman Returns".

Resonate ... iconic ...

Oh, they mean he'll ruin it by plastering it with low brass, now I get it ...!

You think Zimmer will go near a trumpet this time around?

Wouldn't matter if he did. It's not enough to merely write some notes for an instrument and hire some people to play it. Zimmer either can't or just doesn't want to write in the sort of "real" orchestral idiom that Williams does.

He's an ever-adapting composer just like everyone else. He's said he's in the stage of his career where he's more interested in manipulating a small handful of notes and creating something out of those rather than doing the big heroic stuff that's he done countless times before. Every composer experiments at one point. I wish JW did it more often. Images and Rosewood are bloody brilliant.

Zimmer's score will be rejected, you'll see. It's either that or Snyder will get fired because of artistic differences.

I believe in Snyder doing Xerxes and all ... but Superman? Nolan? Zimmer? The recent flopping of Superman Returns? I got a strange feeling about it. The concept of Superman bathes in conservatism and that's something I can't rhyme with Snyder. Fans of Supes don't want Snyder to be the director anyway so what's the point? To make a movie the fans will hate? Then again, the adding of Zimmer hints at 'let's give the public what they want'. Very puzzling.

Alex

He's an ever-adapting composer just like everyone else. He's said he's in the stage of his career where he's more interested in manipulating a small handful of notes and creating something out of those rather than doing the big heroic stuff that's he done countless times before. Every composer experiments at one point. I wish JW did it more often. Images and Rosewood are bloody brilliant.

Manipulating a handful of notes and making something of them IS Hans Zimmer's carreer!

Zimmer was an experimental composer when he started. Since then, there is nothing experimental about his music. There wasn't, and there won't.

Ever-adapting?

He could employ one of those new inventions I've heard of, they call it woodwinds.

I also think they found another mode besides Minor, might be worth checking out.

Zimmer's score will be rejected, you'll see. It's either that or Snyder will get fired because of artistic differences.

I believe in Snyder doing Xerxes and all ... but Superman? Nolan? Zimmer? The recent flopping of Superman Returns? I got a strange feeling about it. The concept of Superman bathes in conservatism and that's something I can't rhyme with Snyder. Fans of Supes don't want Snyder to be the director anyway so what's the point? To make a movie the fans will hate? Then again, the adding of Zimmer hints at 'let's give the public what they want'. Very puzzling.

Alex

Unless this is going to be something completely different. Which can be done.

Karol

If Zimmer scores this reboot we can kiss a decent score goodbye.

Personally I feel too many people here give Ottman's Superman Returns score too much negativity to it. There's no way in hell Zimmer would have been able to make a score good like that. Too many of you hold Williams music way to close and that's why you crap on Ottman's score so much.

I won't say names but you know who you are...and I for one very much enjoy Superman Returns score.

I hope Zimmer doesn't get to score this reboot. I'd love to hear a John Powell Superman score though.

Manipulating a handful of notes and making something of them IS Hans Zimmer's carreer!

Zimmer was an experimental composer when he started. Since then, there is nothing experimental about his music. There wasn't, and there won't.

Ever-adapting?

He could employ one of those new inventions I've heard of, they call it woodwinds.

I also think they found another mode besides Minor, might be worth checking out.

Right, because Rain Man, Gladiator, and Frost/Nixon are all exactly the same. :D

Ever-adapting?

I know that trying to defend Zimmer against his haters is utterly pointless, but here ya go, smartass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pccvB8aGzCk

A solo part for an oboe/English Horn doesn't qualify as a clever use of woodwinds :D

But that's also typical for Zimmer defenders, you pick out one minute of listenability in a track that features six other minutes of noise.

I agree that gkgyver is a smartass.

So do I.

A solo part for an oboe/English Horn doesn't qualify as a clever use of woodwinds :D

So you named one instrument he doesn't use. Big deal.

But that's also typical for Zimmer defenders, you pick out one minute of listenability in a track that features six other minutes of noise.

And it's also typical for Zimmer haters to call his music 'noise'.

A solo part for an oboe/English Horn doesn't qualify as a clever use of woodwinds :ola:

So you named one instrument he doesn't use. Big deal.

because it is noise, surely a smart person like yourself can hear that.

I know, I'm too polite.

It's also typical for Zimmer defenders to duck away from good arguments.

I have yet to read a good argument from you. Surely someone so terrible at composing music would never be nominated for an Oscar, let alone win one, and be adored by millions of fans. Gotta be some fluke in the human DNA. 30% of our species is born to love Zimmer. A cure must be found! There's no possible way he's actually talented!!!

I have yet to read a good argument from you. Surely someone so terrible at composing music would never be nominated for an Oscar, let alone win one, and be adored by millions of fans. Gotta be some fluke in the human DNA. 30% of our species is born to love Zimmer. A cure must be found! There's no possible way he's actually talented!!!

Well, I like much of Zimmer's work, but...

The Hurt Locker and Babel were nominated for best score. Those scores were definitely only noise and, imo, required no talent.

As for fans, the Saw films have fans. More fans than Hans Zimmer, probably.

30% of our species is born to love Zimmer.

It's not even 0.01 % actually.

Must...resist...urge...to...be...geek...

The current population is estimated to be 6,879,100,000 people.

6,879,100,000 * 0.01% = 6,879,100,000 * 0.0001 = 687,910

That's still a lot of people.

• 4 weeks later...
“It’s a hard one, but I followed one of the most iconic things on Batman with Chris as well, and it’s the same thing. You are allowed to reinvent, but you have to try to be as good or at least as iconic and it has to resonate and it has to become a part of the zeitgeist. That’s the job. On Gladiator I remember people always talking about Spartacus and I kept telling them, ‘When you saw Spartacus and how it affected it you, that’s how I want a modern audience to be affected by what we do now.’ So I think ultimately you’re supposed to reinvent.”

Link

As I said in the previous thread:

1) This is not a confirmation. They quote the article from 27th October where they just ask Zimmer would he do with this picture.

2) Snyder actually had a Williams-like music in his latesta animated Owl film. It was pretty old fashined. The Lisa Gerrard stuff is not a part of the score. Here is some bit:

Karol

But this quotes dates back to October 27th. How on earth is this this week? I know there are different time zones, but...

Karol

I think the interview is certainly used in a misleading way, but it's confirmed aside from it. He kind of says it, and then uses the interview to kind of say 'this is what he'll do'.

I also know the AICN guy from another couple of sites, and I'm pretty sure he's accurate on this. Sadly.