Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection (official Thread)

Mr. Breathmask

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fortune and Glory is an upsetting omission.

The other cues that I wish made it on to the individual disks (or at least disk 5):

• Complete "Desert Chase"

• Marion Into The Well

• Fortune and Glory

• They Stole The Children (Alternate) - would have been a good bonus disk cue!

• Bridge Percussion

• End Credits (Film Version) - still hoping that a mistake has been made and this is on there!

• Packet From Dad

• Inscription on The Rock

• Finding Henry Jones / "Don't Call Me Junior!"

• Elsa's Betrayal

• Birds of Charlemagne

• Henry Jones is Shot

Boy I'm glad I have the DCC version of Raiders on CD; it holds a special place in my collection. I was barely 12 years old in the year 2000 and I happened to come across it at Best Buy (apparently much better selection back then). This was right at the time that I was first discovering Williams (and Spielberg as well). I'm just so thankful that I was into JW enough at that age to get a hold of this CD...not to mention that I almost opted to go with a much inferior compilation album instead (Whew!)

As for TOD and LC, I am very excited to finally have so many new cues. I have spent years customizing theses scores utilizing crappy bootlegs and dvd rips and now finally we have good material to work with. (Some of those early editing jobs were horrendous on my part, but it keeps improving, especially since I'm majoring in sound engineering). Anyways, even though there are some flaws, I eagerly look forward to listening to and customizing the new music in this box set.

Williams probably decided none of the music is worth releasing.

Neil

Lord Williams' wrath is terrible. his retribution swift.

I agree with Mark, in that a lot of people are being a bit too harsh. I mean, sure it sucks some fantastic cues aren't on there, but we're still getting an amazing wealth of stuff. The DCC edits, again, with the extra tracks on Disc 5 people are always going to make their own versions, and surely any self-respecting fan already has a copy of that amazing disc, so I don't see that it's much of a problem.

To be honest, I think we're lucky we're getting this much. Perhaps we will get the complete ones later down the line, but treating this as some sort of conspiracy where Williams, Bouzerueu and Lucas are sitting at home listening to their complete scores while laughing at the fact they'll make us buy it again in a few years is a pretty negative line of thought in the light of what music we are getting. For me the glass is certainly half full, but the way a lot are talking, it sounds like the glass is half empty. I wouldn't like to have been around when the SW Anthology came out. Hell, at least "Return To The Village" isn't mixed with the Last Crusade end credits.

I agree with Mark, in that a lot of people are being a bit too harsh. I mean, sure it sucks some fantastic cues aren't on there, but we're still getting an amazing wealth of stuff. The DCC edits, again, with the extra tracks on Disc 5 people are always going to make their own versions, and surely any self-respecting fan already has a copy of that amazing disc, so I don't see that it's much of a problem.

To be honest, I think we're lucky we're getting this much. Perhaps we will get the complete ones later down the line, but treating this as some sort of conspiracy where Williams, Bouzerueu and Lucas are sitting at home listening to their complete scores while laughing at the fact they'll make us buy it again in a few years is a pretty negative line of thought in the light of what music we are getting. For me the glass is certainly half full, but the way a lot are talking, it sounds like the glass is half empty. I wouldn't like to have been around when the SW Anthology came out. Hell, at least "Return To The Village" isn't mixed with the Last Crusade end credits.

I agree completely. It does no good to dwell on the negative all the time especially if we can't do anything to change things. And after all we are getting a lot of new music with this set. But I guess it is human to be constantly discontent with your part in life and want more.

Also we seem to think we have some kind of automatic right to this music. Yes I know some things did not go as majority of the JW fans would have liked, yes we can question the logic behind producing this set that way and yes we can be dissatisfied with the end result. Most of us think that releasing these scores complete would be the way to do justice to this music as it is linear musical story telling at its best and then the man who composed it thinks otherwise. But are we somehow entitled to more than is given to us with this set? It that some unalienable right of the fans? I don't think so. But also it is the nature of film music fans to be dissatisfied with anything less than a complete score release. It is sad to see that in our discontent we forget to be grateful and glad of what we are actually getting.

And who knows, perhaps Mattessino and Redman will get a chance to rectify this in the near future.

If Williams weren't involved, the End Credits from Disc 2 would have been merged with the Return to the Village from Disc 5, without any unreleased music. It's hard not to be frustrated when such illogical and bizarre "creative" and "logical" (according to Laurent) decisions are made.

But yes, the wealth of music we ARE getting here is delightful, but the fact that they went to the trouble to remaster the entire scores, and decided to give us a fraction of them, is cause for disappointment.

Who knows, we might get a "More Music from Indiana Jones" CD in the near future, if sales are well enough. It could have another 15 mins from Temple and Crusade, alternates/complete cues from Raiders, and 30 mins of unreleased Kingdom music (to make up for the lack of an expanded CD here).

Of course, Williams' involvement explains the lack of unreleased Kingdom music in this set. When asked whether he wants to release anything else from that score, he probably said "77 minutes was too much as it is".

Of course, Williams' involvement explains the lack of unreleased Kingdom music in this set. When asked whether he wants to release anything else from that score, he probably said "77 minutes was too much as it is".

I'm sure that decision was made by the extra re-use fees and because it's so new.

Yes, of course the extra music is nice and most welcomed, but shortened "Desert Chase"? Really? An album edit on an expanded release?

Neil

I'm sure that decision was made by the extra re-use fees and because it's so new.

Yes, of course the extra music is nice and most welcomed, but shortened "Desert Chase"? Really? An album edit on an expanded release?

Neil

JW and Bouzereau made some exciting editing decisions which we just have to live with. Deplorable for those fans who do not own the DCC CD although in this day and age it is not impossible to get your hands on that complete track. If you look at it from the album producing angle then yes it is a bit weird.

Also we seem to think we have some kind of automatic right to this music.

As paying customers, why not? We're well within our rights to voice our disappointment even with the wealth of previously unreleased music included, that this new set is an illogically assembled mess.

Maybe quotation marks around "exciting editing decisions" would have been more informative of a slightly sarcastic edge of that comment.

Also we seem to think we have some kind of automatic right to this music.

As paying customers, why not? We're well within our rights to voice our disappointment even with the wealth of previously unreleased music included, that this new set is an illogically assembled mess.

Oh yes we can complain but will it make the situation any better. We may demand but is this music our automatic right. No. Unfortunately world very rarely revolves around a small if vociferous group of film music fans. Usually fans of film music cater best to the fans, like with small record labels we have that produce high quality in both detail and content. Big labels think about the ignorant masses to whom Indiana Jones is a selling point by name not because some casual fans go "Oh man that bridge percussion was cool, I'll get the album because of that track alone" or " Wow the film version of the end credits in the ToD were awesome" and then find to their disappointment that those are not on these CDs. This happens only with film music fans.

Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection, shakedown crew's report. I think this new set was put together by monkeys. Oh, she's got fine music, but half the cues aren't there, and guess whose job it is to make it right?!

mutt_monkey-1.jpg

This is what happens when you let Williams be involved in the production process. I'm sorry, but he has no sense of good CD presentation. Still, I'll wait until I actually have my copy to criticize.

I actually agree.. I wonder too if he decides where all the edits should take place...

I want to know who to blame for the ending of "It Can't Be" on the OST for Revenge Of The Sith.

Just feel lucky and dont be too harsh.

mmmm i hope i can cancel my order at amazon, though i cannot check if the price is dropping below the german site! :|

Well, it isn't just Indy. Two other items I had sitting in my shopping cart (one of which being The Incredible Hulk soundtrack) have mysteriously become unavailable. Something weird's going on at Amazon.

Well, it isn't just Indy. Two other items I had sitting in my shopping cart (one of which being The Incredible Hulk soundtrack) have mysteriously become unavailable. Something weird's going on at Amazon.

yeah you see I knew it. Something really weird is gonna happen .this is exactly why I want the full official set to leak on the net in flac or 320k MP3.

Lets hope the only existing copy isn't in Jeff's hands at Intrada

K.M.who doesn't like this at all

It is pretty clear to me:

Concord read all our posts and pulled the plug to do heavyrework

They will release a 21 CD boxset now with 12 Bonus discs featuring the complete Star Wars Prequel scores as a bonus

but if you preordered it you are getting it or not?

:|

It is pretty clear to me:

Concord read all our posts and pulled the plug to do heavyrework

They will release a 21 CD boxset now with 12 Bonus discs featuring the complete Star Wars Prequel scores as a bonus

i wouldnt mind that :lol:

I can see both sides of that point. On one hand, it's true that we don't have an automatic right to this music. Someone else owns the rights, and it's up to them.

But from a business perspective, it's not like we're just asking for it free of charge. We're all paying quite a hefty sum for this set, and I think we deserve to get a good product in return that's worth the money. Now given that almost all the cues I wanted from Crusade are on the set, and I'm willing to use some boot tracks, and I'm really not familiar enough with Temple to know what the hell all this '26 seconds missing' stuff is all about, I'm still relatively happy with the set. And I have the DCC Desert Chase cue in 320k mp3 so that's not a problem.

I think it does indicate though, that is a large proportion of those who will buy this set are majorly disappointed at the same set of exclusions, then you could say the makers didn't do their research right, or made decisions with the wrong people in mind.

When asked whether he wants to release anything else from that score, he probably said "77 minutes was too much as it is".

In the case of this score, I almost agree with him (in a typically modest statement from him). It's *which* 77 mins to release that's the problem, and where Williams and his music editors are not exactly excelling.

the KotCS release is 86 minutes. I consider the DVD isolated cues "official" .I have no problem in not getting an expanded KotCS on the Concord set because of these cues on the DVD

They should have released the whole movie pre-vizs :|

Well, richuk, this box set is pretty cheap with all the music we are getting.

10 bucks for each CD is far less what one would expect for long wanted excellent music

yeah you see I knew it. Something really weird is gonna happen .this is exactly why I want the full official set to leak on the net in flac or 320k MP3.

Lets hope the only existing copy isn't in Jeff's hands at Intrada

K.M.who doesn't like this at all

Concords website still shows the November 11 release date. I'd say that's the important one, there is probably some glitch or system maintenence going on at Amazon.

anyways my soundtrack collection on c.d. varies from some c.d.'s that have great sound (like TPM UE) to some that have less good sound (like Jaws anniversary,A.I.)

Stuff like the KotCS previz is kind of middle of the road .Really acceptable but maybe not to the level of the best possible sound quality .

As long as it doesn't sound like it's recorded on cassette (hiss,volume dips) , has obvious de-hissing artifacts(Hook,LC boots) or is in 128k bitrate I'm happy

FYI, the complete 'A Child Returns [Alternate]' is included in the Lego games, so let's take a bit of solace from that. If the worst we're missing from Temple of Doom is about two or three minutes worth, we're doing okay with the fifty or so minutes of vintage Williams material we ARE getting, no?

Yeah, I think the people saying this is the most illogically compiled soundtrack release in history are way over the top. Pretty much all of Williams' normal OST's take that title. The Terminal is a notably offender. Could have had the complete score, but is an absolute mess of a release.

And people are asking FOR a Phantom Menace UE style combining of tracks??? Jesus, that's the stupidest complaint I've heard so far.

Some are giving hints they are really mad about Desert Chase .I don't care whatsoever (I have the DCC) and If I didn't I'd have no problems whatsoever downloading what I need.

On Laurent Bouzereau .All his expanded releases you still need to keep the OST's .Jaws,E,T,.CE3K...

there are at least 4 cues that were greatly expanded on the old OST .The film versions on the 25th anniversary Ed are completely different.

Promenade

Out to Sea

Shark Cage Fugue

One Barrel chase (Great Shark Chase)

they should have been included on the 25th Anniversary Ed.

Oh. Dang it.... Well, is there anything left to discuss about this upcoming Box Set besides that fiasco on Amazon. com ( though my order was not cancelled, so I am not mad)? You know, it is kind of interesting to look back at all of our wild and crazy speculation that we made in the last few months.

there are at least 4 cues that were greatly expanded on the old OST .The film versions on the 25th anniversary Ed are completely different.

Promenade

Out to Sea

Shark Cage Fugue

One Barrel chase (Great Shark Chase)

they should have been included on the 25th Anniversary Ed.

Isnt the whole album a different recording that the film score (25th annyversary CD)?