Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection (official Thread)

Mr. Breathmask

May I remind you that an awful lot of people didn't believe these would be expanded, even after Concord announced it? This set is more than many expected.

If you expected complete recordings LOTR style, then I'm sorry to say that it isn't, and never was, realistic and feasible.

If you expected every shred of music from the films, and alternates, and audio interviews, then you should have known from the very beginning that this FIVE disc set wasn't going to provide that.

I'm not even sure what exactly you DID expect.

Why did you buy it in the first place? You knew what the content would be, you've read articles, you've heard soundclips, you saw pictures.

So, either whine about it beforehand and avoid it or buy it and be content with what you have! Incidentally, you didn't happen to make copies of the discs before you sell them, or did you now?

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it wouldn't.

That's what, five minutes? That these five minutes could make the listening experience infinitely better is, in my bloody opinion, nothing than a fanboy dream.

If you have a gripe with the action is ToD, well, then blame it on JW, since that's just the way TOD is.

Fanboy dream?

You are all the same fanboys that Concord hoped to please with this set. If you accept whatever they throw at you, you're never going to get what you really want...and after all these years, what we ALL deserve.

Sorry...but what exactly do we deserve? What great lenghts have we climbed to make these scores accesible to everybody? What have you sacrificed in an attempt to get a decent release of this music?

We don't deserve anything. Concord was kind enough (and sensible enough, as I'm sure they've made a nice profit) to release these scores. Let us be thankful and not angry.

Uhhh...we're PAYING for this. Just like an employer pays an employee.

If our interest was not there, this set would never have happened. Just like George Lucas has thought for years, if we, as fans, accept anything that's thrown at us, they won't care about doing it RIGHT the first time.

How can you accept something that's so sub-par? Would an employer accept an employee's performance if they did so many things wrong?

We deserve exactly what we pay for. $60 isn't that cheap but I'd gladly pay $120 for a full box set of all 3 (or even 4) scores.

May I remind you that an awful lot of people didn't believe these would be expanded, even after Concord announced it? This set is more than many expected.

If you expected complete recordings LOTR style, then I'm sorry to say that it isn't, and never was, realistic and feasible.

If you expected every shred of music from the films, and alternates, and audio interviews, then you should have known from the very beginning that this FIVE disc set wasn't going to provide that.

I'm not even sure what exactly you DID expect.

Why did you buy it in the first place? You knew what the content would be, you've read articles, you've heard soundclips, you saw pictures.

So, either whine about it beforehand and avoid it or buy it and be content with what you have! Incidentally, you didn't happen to make copies of the discs before you sell them, or did you now?

Let me make this very simple for you....

Why isn't that realistic?

Yes I did.

No I didn't.

No I didn't

No I didn't

Yes I most certainly did.

:(

Sure,I'd prefer the complete scores ,and I hope we get them some day.

But I still think the release of this box set hung by a thread and we came very close to not getting anything at all ... this is a case of "take the music and run"

No, it wouldn't.

That's what, five minutes? That these five minutes could make the listening experience infinitely better is, in my bloody opinion, nothing than a fanboy dream.

If you have a gripe with the action is ToD, well, then blame it on JW, since that's just the way TOD is.

Fanboy dream?

You are all the same fanboys that Concord hoped to please with this set. If you accept whatever they throw at you, you're never going to get what you really want...and after all these years, what we ALL deserve.

Sorry...but what exactly do we deserve? What great lenghts have we climbed to make these scores accesible to everybody? What have you sacrificed in an attempt to get a decent release of this music?

We don't deserve anything. Concord was kind enough (and sensible enough, as I'm sure they've made a nice profit) to release these scores. Let us be thankful and not angry.

Uhhh...we're PAYING for this. Just like an employer pays an employee.

Well what were you expecting? I think Fatty covered this argument sufficiently in his above post.

If our interest was not there, this set would never have happened. Just like George Lucas has thought for years, if we, as fans, accept anything that's thrown at us, they won't care about doing it RIGHT the first time.

The fact that we are interested does not entitle us to any sort of prize.

I am interested in World Peace. Does this mean that our political leaders owe it to me? And if I get anything less than complete World Peace, I should spit in their faces?

Yes, we are PAYING for this!

What do we pay? We're paying about 40 bucks, or some of us 30 Euro. Do you expect three Ultimate Editions packages for the money?

Considering the greatly expanded scores, 30 Euro is dirt cheap, and less than I expected it to cost.

If this was 60 or 70 dollars, then you'd have a point, but for this money, bitching about two missing cues is, eh, how do you call it ... right, INSANE.

So, you didn't inform you about a product, you didn't read what you were getting, and now you're sour because it isn't precisely what you imagined? I do not even have the words for such [censored].

I bet, when they come forth in 10 years with fully complete scores, you'll brush them off and say "I still have that music from like ten years ago, I'm not buying this for just 10 more minutes of music!"

It wasn't realistic simply because the company, and the man behind the company who released Phantom Menace UE, who was surprised by the little success of that, ahem, "high quality product", is also behing this release.

One last thing before I am done with this....if you really think we're entitled to these or deserve these scores then you need your head examined. Lucasfilm could have said FU to us and not released these at all or worse reissued the OST's. No big company like this owes us anything. It's their property they have the right to do with what they want.

I swear most people forget to be greatful for what we have all ready, quite sad really.

Now seriously wake me up when all the complaining is done please.

No it doesn't. But the fact that we're interested means that Concord wants to make money.

If you SERIOUSLY think Concord did this because of some genuine concern about "the fans" and because they wanted to be nice need a nice smack in the face of reality. This is about money, pure and simple.

The vocals are by Amy Irving. Spielberg then-wife dubbing his future wife! :(

Er... Where did you hear that? (Also, Spielberg and Irving weren't married until 1985.)

no, it's Kate Kapshaw singing in kantonese

Amy Irving dubbed Kathleen Turner singing in ROGER RABBIT

One last thing before I am done with this....if you really think we're entitled to these or deserve these scores then you need your head examined. Lucasfilm could have said FU to us and not released these at all or worse reissued the OST's. No big company like this owes us anything. It's their property they have the right to do with what they want.

You're right. They owe us absolutely nothing.

But they want to make money...so they're going to sell us something.

Bottom line: this is all about money. It was a business decision. Pure and simple.

DigitalfreakNYC, Thanksgiving must be a pretty quiet day in your house. :(

Nah...not really. We all get what we deserve from one another because it's about mutual respect. If anyone in my family didn't give it to me, they wouldn't get it.

And if you're trying to create some parallel between my family and this set, I will say that we, again, were screwed over with how sloppy this set was put together.

Also ,if they only released the OST's ,the set would probably cost exactly the same and the board would be full of people preaching "be happy for the new fans that never got to buy these on c.d. because they are OOP" blah blah blah

Yes, but they could have still made a very nice profit by just re issuing the OSTs.

VERY doubtful. Anyone who was even a casual fan would've had those by now. The movies are OLD. They're not going to sell to that anymore. At this point the only people who are going to buy them are fans and they had to give us SOMETHING new.

It's not like DVD's where there are always new people buying movies and DVD's. They have a much larger built-in audience.

There are a lot of casual fans who weren't casual fans until TOD and Last Crusade were OOP.

No it doesn't. But the fact that we're interested means that Concord wants to make money.

If you SERIOUSLY think Concord did this because of some genuine concern about "the fans" and because they wanted to be nice need a nice smack in the face of reality. This is about money, pure and simple.

Nobody said otherwise! Get your head out of your posterior and smell the fresh air, realize that the glass is, in addition to being half empty, in fact half full! The bottom line is that we got a lot more than a lot of us were realistically expecting to get. We know there are issues, but we are glad to have what we do. I seriously doubt this will be the final released incarnation of these scores--I'm expecting full releases not too far down the road. So for now relax, acknowledge your disappointment, but be grateful for what IS there (even, I don't know...maybe ENJOY it!), and move on.

As I said,for about 3 months we were 99% sure that's exactly what Concord would do (re-issue the OST's only). It took 3 badly worded press releases afterwards for us to believe otherwise

Yes, but they could have still made a very nice profit by just re issuing the OSTs.

VERY doubtful. Anyone who was even a casual fan would've had those by now. The movies are OLD. They're not going to sell to that anymore. At this point the only people who are going to buy them are fans and they had to give us SOMETHING new.

I think a majority of the people on this MB would have bought the straight reissues. And this is a John Williams Fansite, mind you.

Casual fans would not have been willing to pay 100 bucks on eBay for a 40 minute album. Many of the very faithful fans are unwilling to do so.

"The Boat Scene" is fantastic!!!!!!

I think a majority of the people on this MB would have bought the straight reissues.

No accounting for stupidity...

If you already own them, why bother? You just give the record company more of a reason to take advantage of you.

If this was ALL about money, and Concord realising the only people interested would be the fans, they could have given us 2 CD sets in the first place, which would have drawn in even more people.

In this light, may I add that Mr. Williams had a little saying in this, too?

I think a majority of the people on this MB would have bought the straight reissues.

No accounting for stupidity...

If you already own them, why bother? You just give the record company more of a reason to take advantage of you.

Listen to MEEE, Smalls. There are a bunch of people who did not own TOD or LC, and a smaller but still significant number did not get the DCC release of Raiders.

Indy Negociates

Map/Out of Fuel

The Scroll/To Pankot Palace

Approaching the Stones

Short Round Escapes

Short Round Helps

Water

The Broken Bridge/British Relief

Return to the Village

Indy's Very First Adventure pt 2

The Boat Scene

Alarm!

To the Blimp

On the Tank

Right Choice/Wrong Choice

I'd have paid 100$ for a single c.d. of these cues alone...serious

This thread has gotten completely stupid.

It was like that from Day 1.

It's also been incredibly fun since Day 1.

At times it's been fun. Right now it's just plain stupid.

I'm having a crapload of fun while listening to LC expanded and waiting for the posts to fill up.

There's a great sense of excitement on the MB right now, and I'm enjoying it.

On a more serious note...anybody else think Indy looks constipated in the picture of him on the LC note from Steven Spielberg? :blink:

Listening to "Alarm!" I love the variations of the Nazi Theme and the Scherzo theme. This is one brilliant cue!!

This thread has gotten completely stupid.

Ok my bad.

I'll lay off for the rest of the night.

Which way to the boxed set fanboy circle jerk?

:blink:

Never said it was your fault. You're entitled to do whatever you want if you're not satisfied with a product.

On a more serious note...anybody else think Indy looks constipated in the picture of him on the LC note from Steven Spielberg? :P

:blink: Yeah, I was thinking he had a bit of an odd expression there.

It's not really 21 minutes .A lot of that is questionable takes of the ceremony music

Mark, the 21 minutes of missing music is not including the various "Sanskrit Ceremony" film edits. So it's around 30 minutes of unreleased music if you include those.

How can you hear pitch errors? Nothing sounds different to me, and the edited Desert Chase is perfectly fine.

I can't, and I've heard the score like a billion times

Some people are pitch/tone deaf. Doesn't mean it's not there or not a serious problem.

I think Laurent Bouzereau is one of these people. :blink:

It's not out of the question to assume that a "More Music from Indiana Jones" CD could be released (individually and in a cheap digipak to cut down on costs and maximise profit), which could contain 15 more minutes from Temple, 15 more minutes from Crusade, 30 minutes from Kingdom, and the rest filler from Raiders because it doesn't have re-use fees.

I'm very surprised by the exclusion of the Bridge music, seeing as it's such a memorable and key set piece cue. Hence my belief it's being withheld intentionally, considering its re-use fees have already been paid.

I'm doubtful there'd be much more music we'd ever want after that sort of release.

Man, I'm glad to finally have the full "Saving Willie" cue. That Lego file felt like such a tease cutting off before that gorgeous passage as they finally succeed in bringing the cage up from the pit.

Words cannot express how glorious "Short Round Helps" is. It's an absolute delight--and besides the obvious mention of the swinging to the mine cart moment, I've always loved the fanfare at 3:14, and it's even better on CD. I mean, man, we thought we had it good with the rear channels being almost entirely SFX free, but hearing it in CD quality with all the orchestral detail is such a treat.

The vocals are by Amy Irving. Spielberg then-wife dubbing his future wife! :blink:

Er... Where did you hear that? (Also, Spielberg and Irving weren't married until 1985.)

no, it's Kate Kapshaw singing in kantonese

Amy Irving dubbed Kathleen Turner singing in ROGER RABBIT

Aaaah. Thanks for that.

I'm still amazed both Arvin Sloane's wife from Alias and Jan from The Office have both provided dubbed singing voices for other actresses in films

Listening to TLC now. "Alarm!" is fantastic! I love the Nazi theme at the beginning.

Alarm is a revelation, in more ways than one. Not only a great cue, but know we know what that funky edit in it in the film is all about.

You're right. They owe us absolutely nothing.

But they want to make money...so they're going to sell us something.

Bottom line: this is all about money. It was a business decision. Pure and simple.

we are talking about the film business here

Getting back to the now fixed edit at 4:49 of Indy's First Adventure (which was at 4:47 on the OST), does that indicate that that is where the segue between two seperately recorded cues is at? Because I always thought it was at 3:30 (3:27 on the OST)... I guess I was wrong?

Getting back to the now fixed edit at 4:49 of Indy's First Adventure (which was at 4:47 on the OST), does that indicate that that is where the segue between two seperately recorded cues is at? Because I always thought it was at 3:30 (3:27 on the OST)... I guess I was wrong?

Yeah, I think so. It makes musical sense for that to be the case.

While we're on the subject of fixed edits, I noticed that the transition to the scherzo in the LC end credits was smoother than on the OST. I think I may have caught one or two others like that, and I must say I really appreciate that.

Having listened through the first three discs (staying up until 2:00 to do it!), I see what Henry's talking about with the listening experience/pacing, particularly on TOD, but also with LC. Those extra cues on disc 5 are really going to help give some breathing room (not that the expansions aren't already great). It'll also help to combine some of those cues that are meant to be so.

Of course...having all the cues would help the pacing, too, but I can wait a little while for that now. :P