Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection (official Thread)

Mr. Breathmask

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting back to the now fixed edit at 4:49 of Indy's First Adventure (which was at 4:47 on the OST), does that indicate that that is where the segue between two seperately recorded cues is at? Because I always thought it was at 3:30 (3:27 on the OST)... I guess I was wrong?

Yeah, I think so. It makes musical sense for that to be the case.

Excellent, thanks Crumbs

Has anybody ever figured out where the 3 separate cues that make up "Desert Chase" begin and end (DCC timings, of course)?

Sorry, but I have to chime in with my 2 cents.

Months ago, I didn't know what to expect when I heard the Indiana Jones scores were to be re-released. Any number of soundtrack templates were possible: OST reissues, remastered/remixed OSTs, expanded scores, or complete scores. I, like all John Williams fans, hoped for the latter.

The producers have chosen the expanded route - to test the market… and consequently make a considerable profit in the process. Enough additional music was made available so that most (if not all) Williams /Spielberg / Indy fans will buy it at a fair price. It will be a financial success. Hopefully, this profit will be invested in a release with the cues that have been withheld.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m very much enjoying the previously unreleased music, but as I see it, this set is a missed opportunity. Raiders, Temple, and Crusade could have been presented 100% complete on 4 discs. KOTCS was included, but could have been left out, as it was released in May of this year. But I understand the producers wanted to represent all 4 Indy scores together. Whatever…

This set has too many questionable aspects:

Glaring cues omissions --- Fans of the music don’t care about a booklet of random pictures and producer's blabbering/excuses. And let's not forget the re-hashed set of interviews - taking up disc space, no less. Why is Disc 5 (or all the discs, for that matter) not FILLED --- I mean 79 to 80 min. filled?

Minimal combining / editing of cues – yet Marcus Is Captured / To Berlin are awkwardly edited together. Why!?!

Last, but certainly not least, the pitch/speed problems. Simply inexcusable.

This set will hold me over until the rest of the Indiana Jones music sees a release... hopefully sooner rather than later. Unfortunately, Lucasfilm is infamous for always leaving the fans wanting more. The door has been left open, but I’m not holding my breath.

I don't think we lost anything due to the addition of KotCS. We had 4 discs of music that was completely dedicated to the original three.

The set is #70 in music sales on Amazon.

Is anybody willing to PM me their combination of "Out of Fuel" and "Slalom?" That's the only seperation of tracks that really bugs me, and I don't have the means to do so myself. Thanks in advance!

I think its safe to come back now, at least some people are talking sensibly and enjoying this set for what it is...NEW INDY MUSIC!!!

Fans of the music don’t care about a booklet of random pictures and producer blabbering/excuses.

Define fans. Hardcore soundtrack geeks - sure. Fans of the music in general, probably not. Generic movie fans who like the Raiders March, certainly not. This boxset certainly isn't aimed at the hardcore - I'm not saying things like liner notes shouldn't be included, because they should have been, but this set is not just for us. That's also why they kept in KOTCS. You see - and this may sound crazy - not everyone hates the film, so when the person on the street sees the box which has 5 discs dedicated to the first three, they're going to think "hey, what's the big idea? There's FOUR Indiana Jones movies!" People may not care much about the actual material inside, but they seem to care about whether or not all of the films/episodes/whatever are included. That's why as soon as the latest film in any series goes on sale, there's usually a catch-all box with all the films in. At least that's what I think.

:P

My appreciation for Willie's theme has shot way up after listening to Temple expanded.

Her theme when she slaps Indy in the face when she's alive in the temple always brings a smile to mine and short rounds faces. Williams is god.

Has anyone done any speculation on why Kingdom isn't expanded, but the other three are? Complete releases of the 4 scores are surely at least on a drawing board at Lucasfilm somewhere.

...unless Williams himself vetoed this idea, having freshly finished Kingdom.

Has anyone done any speculation on why Kingdom isn't expanded, but the other three are? Complete releases of the 4 scores are surely at least on a drawing board at Lucasfilm somewhere.

Oh it is expanded.. on the DVD. I can't think of another reason why they used "EFFECT FREE" unreleased music in the Pre-Viz videos.

All the bickering back and forth in this thread about the Indy set reminds me of the "Sanctuary Moon" vs "Centurion Moon" vs "Century Moon" debate from usenet back in the day... any body here old enough to remember that?

BTW, I'm not sure why anyone is complaining about the Map cue alternate from Temple. You can splice in the extra statement of Willie's theme absolutely seamlessly. And combining everything from Indy Negotiates to the end of Slalom on Mt. Humol, along with this insert, is probably the greatest stretch of JW music in his career.

Brilliant. 15:28 of absolute bliss.

All the bickering back and forth in this thread about the Indy set reminds me of the "Sanctuary Moon" vs "Centurion Moon" vs "Century Moon" debate from usenet back in the day... any body here old enough to remember that?

Adios STUPIDO! :P

... and in German the Emperor - Imperator (how cool sounds that!) "Deine freunde auf dem SANKTUARIUM Mond.

but he also says"Reflektorschild" instead of "Deflector-shield"

So what is the whole "digital recording" stuff on the cover of TOD all about?

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?...mageID=10088934

Where they recording film scores digitally in 1984?

Yup. I believe the original vinyl said that on it as well.

Mine is probably sitting at work right now... I gambled on it arriving on a weekday since it's too big to fit through a letter box.

Oh well, Monday beckons. Enjoy an Indy weekend Maxxie :P

Oh, sorry I thought you'd have yours by now too. Sorry to rub it in! ;):D

I think it's amazing. £23 well spent, and I'm certain you'll think the same! The quality sounds fine to me (I'm not a perfectionist though), and the whole set is better than I'd imagined - all the griping on here had put me off a bit I think! :D

The only thing that is slightly annoying (as people have already said), is on the ToD disc where cues aren't joined. (I'm not sure about the others as I haven't listened yet). But you can easily solve that 'issue' and it shouldn't put anyone off buying it! ;)

EDIT: Does anyone know why the final part of ToD's End Credits were changed/re-recorded for the film? I'm guessing it's to give it a more powerful ending, but I can't see Williams wanting Indy's theme coming back in so abruptly like it does as he wouldn't have written the other version otherwise??? Must be something to do with Spielberg/Lucas???

So which cues in the box set have pitch problems?

Pretty much everything from Raiders and ToD. LC seems to be fine.

Why don't you listen to the music and enjoy it instead of focusing all your energy finding specific issues with the sound quality ,that seems where all your listening time goes.

You make it sound like some of these cues (Return to the Village ,British Relief) are unlistenable . Even those sounds much better than I would expect from a 25 year old score .What if the whole set sounded like the Rhino Superman , or the Jaws 25th Anniversary c.d. .or recent muddy Williams albums like AI...

"The pitch is off on Raiders and ToD

The reverb of the trombones in Night Club Brawl totally ruins the set

Map/Out of Fuel sounds like crap because the trumpets "drift off" at some point

The British Relief fanfare sounds much worse than the rest of the cue.

Return to the Village warbles through the entire cue"

Sorry I can't notice any of the above .It really sad when you read that some people think the set is ruined because of minor issues like that.

Fans of the music don’t care about a booklet of random pictures and producer blabbering/excuses.

Define fans. Hardcore soundtrack geeks - sure. Fans of the music in general, probably not. Generic movie fans who like the Raiders March, certainly not. This boxset certainly isn't aimed at the hardcore - I'm not saying things like liner notes shouldn't be included, because they should have been, but this set is not just for us. That's also why they kept in KOTCS. You see - and this may sound crazy - not everyone hates the film, so when the person on the street sees the box which has 5 discs dedicated to the first three, they're going to think "hey, what's the big idea? There's FOUR Indiana Jones movies!" People may not care much about the actual material inside, but they seem to care about whether or not all of the films/episodes/whatever are included. That's why as soon as the latest film in any series goes on sale, there's usually a catch-all box with all the films in. At least that's what I think.

The set is NOT for Average Joe Walmart Guy . It's for us soundtrack geeks ,but more of the FSM variety , not specifically JWfans who know every cue by heart

The way I imagine it the board meeting about this set probably consisted of one person who knew about the music and wanted it released (Laurent B.),and a bunch of old bald headed people in suits telling him the boundaries of what he could release

Oh it is expanded.. on the DVD. I can't think of another reason why they used "EFFECT FREE" unreleased music in the Pre-Viz videos.

yeah that is certainly a first and weird coincidence..

Now Drax is complaining about sound quality on the Superman Blue Box, can't wait to read what he has to say about this one

20.46 pounds (24 euros) including shipping.

I'm going to make a forma complaint to Amazon.co.uk. This is just totally lousy service.

Could you please wait another few days until the few of us get our sets, please?

Well KOTCS was the only IJ score to have it's original release clock in at 77 minutes, we got more music up front compared to the other three.

The re-use fees on a newly recorded score would be quite high if extra music was included and the box set's price would have gone up.

We have more than enough music from KOTCS and if some find the bridge percussion from TOD un-neccessary I can add the extra music from Jungle Chase is just as needless because it is basically the same chase music repeated over and over, with Marion's theme......whoopdee friggin doooo....

Man, crumbs' expanded KOTCS has revealed some really good stuff that was left off the OST. Mostly the music at the front end of the film, beginning with the Russians arriving at the warehouse.

There's also a very brief bit where we first see Mutt at the train station - very subtle, but somehow very nice.

This is making me rethink my giant stamp of disapproval for this score.

(Oh, and I'm LOVING the box set. "Journey to Austria" from Last Crusade is brilliant! It has really paid off to have been insulated from a lot of bootlegs and DVD rips - even truly extensive knowledge of the films themselves - to be so pleasantly surprised by, to me, all new John Williams music.)

Mine is probably sitting at work right now... I gambled on it arriving on a weekday since it's too big to fit through a letter box.

Oh well, Monday beckons. Enjoy an Indy weekend Maxxie :thumbup:

Oh, sorry I thought you'd have yours by now too. Sorry to rub it in! :o:)

I think it's amazing. £23 well spent, and I'm certain you'll think the same! The quality sounds fine to me (I'm not a perfectionist though), and the whole set is better than I'd imagined - all the griping on here had put me off a bit I think! :P

The only thing that is slightly annoying (as people have already said), is on the ToD disc where cues aren't joined. (I'm not sure about the others as I haven't listened yet). But you can easily solve that 'issue' and it shouldn't put anyone off buying it! ;)

Oh it's definitely worth £23, considering most CDs these days are about £8-10, to get the quadrilogy legally and mostly in great quality.

I won't be doing any editing, but I will probably join some cues together such as Out of Fuel/Slalom.

So what is the whole "digital recording" stuff on the cover of TOD all about?

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?...mageID=10088934

Where they recording film scores digitally in 1984?

Yup. I believe the original vinyl said that on it as well.

How can "Return To The Village" be playing at the wrong speed if it was recorded digitally, then?

How can "Return To The Village" be playing at the wrong speed if it was recorded digitally, then?
I assume because the digital masters were transferred to tapes, and over the last 24 years they have simply not been cared for and been damaged. Tape isn't the greatest storage medium. There's the huge difference between how a score was recorded and how it was preserved.

I just got an email from Amazon.co.uk saying my collection has been shipped -- wtf? It disappeared from my order page but I didn't get a cancellation email, so maybe it is being sent. The price looks fine. I beg anyone considering spamming Amazon with hate mail, PLEASE hold off for a few weeks. In all likelihood, many of us may receive copies at the discounted price after all. Worse, you may jeopardise other people's orders.

Does anyone know why the final part of ToD's End Credits were changed/re-recorded for the film? I'm guessing it's to give it a more powerful ending, but I can't see Williams wanting Indy's theme coming back in so abruptly like it does as he wouldn't have written the other version otherwise??? Must be something to do with Spielberg/Lucas???

They were not re-recorded for the film. They simply edited out chunks of the full End Credits piece to fit the final running time of the film.

Is there a complete cue list of Temple of Doom with all the 8M1 sort of things that would be in John's score?

That is hopefully coming soon. Waiting for a PM from a member here...

The re-use fees on a newly recorded score would be quite high if extra music was included and the box set's price would have gone up.

Does anybody know how much time has to pass before the re-use fees drop in price (if that is even the case?)

They were not re-recorded for the film. They simply edited out chunks of the full End Credits piece to fit the final running time of the film.

That's not what I meant Jason. :o

I know chunks of the End Credits Suite were edited out, but the opening to the final rendition of the Raiders theme (at the very end of the Credits) is completely different to the OST/Concord version etc. It's much louder and more powerful, but unfortunately it starts very abruptly and cuts the end of Willie's theme off. :thumbup:

That's not what I meant Jason. :o

I know chunks of the End Credits Suite were edited out, but the opening to the final rendition of the Raiders theme (at the very end of the Credits) is completely different to the OST/Concord version etc. It's much louder and more powerful, but unfortunately it starts very abruptly and cuts the end of Willie's theme off. :thumbup:

Listen to the album track again. The loud/powerful statement of Indy's theme is there, just later on in the track.

We have more than enough music from KOTCS and if some find the bridge percussion from TOD un-neccessary I can add the extra music from Jungle Chase is just as needless because it is basically the same chase music repeated over and over, with Marion's theme......whoopdee friggin doooo....

I'm not sure if you were just trying to make a point, but there's a lot more to the complete Jungle Chase music than just repetitive chase music and Marion's theme. Yes there's Marion's theme, there's also the Raiders march (and not just that bit from Desert Chase), a statement of Irina's theme and that cool Russian 'jig', more chase music and more variations of the Raiders march before even starting into what's on the album.

In my opinion, the omission of the complete Jungle Chase music is to Crystal Skull what On The Tank was to Last Crusade.

I'm not arguing Crystal Skull should have been expanded on this set, but I sure wouldn't mind an expansion sometime down the road.

BTW, I'm not one who considers the ToD bridge percussion dispensable. I was disappointed at it's absence.

Listen to the album track again. The loud/powerful statement of Indy's theme is there, just later on in the track.

What about the 'majestic' variation that opens the film version of the end credits before the short round counterpoint (like on the Prague CD) did they somehow edit that into the track?