Exactly what JW scores are true 5 star scores to you?

JoeinAR

What exactly are John's 5 star scores in your opinion. Seriously think about it. What are the scores that are 5 stars. The ones you choose would be on par with the other 5 star scores on your list. Are there many, are there some that just fall short? And for some of you who think everything is great and everything is a masterpiece coughindy4cough, why not make a list of those that aren't since it would be the smaller of the two.

expect hyperbole

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good thread, Joe. I think a lot of people vote from what the feel on the spot, rather than actually thinking about it. The Fury is not a 5 star score, most definitely not, especially when compared to scores like Superman and E.T.

Although it does depend on how one rates the scores, in terms of how it works in the film or just its listenability.

Im not sure I could give some of the scores I give 5 stars when I compare them to each other.

Meh...

Jaws

Star Wars

Close Encounters

Superman

The Empire Strikes Back

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Monsignor

Return of the Jedi

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Schindler's List

A.I. Artificial Intelligence

It's funny, I was actually thinking this not too long ago. It seems like no matter what the score is for these polls each one is being hailed as a five-star masterpiece by some.

This will be easy.

Jaws

Star Wars

Close Encounters

Superman

The Empire Strikes Back

Raiders

E.T.

Return of the Jedi

Temple of Doom

The Last Crusade

Jurassic Park

I considered The Phantom Menace, but it just isn't as good as any of the above and Schindler's list, whilst being excellent, didn't click with me as it did with others. I appreciate that score, but I don't exactly love it.

Well, let me start but it's not easy to keep the list short ;)

Star Wars

Superman

The Empire strikes back

Raider's of the lost Ark (But overall i enjoy Last crusade and TOD more than Raiders... )

TOD

ET

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Jurassic Park

Schindlers List

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

(I know that i didn't list Jaws but i don't know the Soundtrack except the Main theme and so i have no special connection to the movie /soundtrack )

I honestly can't answer this question. Even his best have some weak spots and odd choices at times. That's not to say that he doesn't have a true 5-star score, but I AM saying that I cannot pick out what they are.

That being said, I think the strongest contenders would be Star Wars, Jaws, E.T., Raiders, Schindler's List, Close Encounters, and The Empire Strikes Back.

I honestly can't answer this question. Even his best have some weak spots and odd choices at times. That's not to say that he doesn't have a true 5-star score, but I AM saying that I cannot pick out what they are.

That being said, I think the strongest contenders would be Star Wars, Jaws, E.T., Raiders, Schindler's List, Close Encounters, and The Empire Strikes Back.

such wishy washyness cannot be tolerated, prepare to be euthanised.

For me the only definite five-star scores are: Jaws, Star Wars, Close Encounters, Superman, and Empire Strikes Back. There are a few other arguable fringe cases, but that's about it.

;)

to answer my own question

Jaws, Star Wars, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Superman, Raiders of the Lost Ark, E.T. the Extraterrestrial, I can't in all good conscience put JP, SL, or even LW as a true 5 compared to these, they are not.

Are we talking about scores as represented on album, scores as they work in the movie or separate cues?

As represented on album:

1) Sabrina

2) Jurassic Park

3) Hook

4) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

5) Schindler's List

By no means an incomplete list, but these are some that I have no qualms about putting on the list right away. In no particular order:

* All six Star Wars scores...yes, you heard me correctly. AOTC only makes it because of a slight rounding error, though.

* Raiders of the Lost Ark

* Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

* Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

* Jurassic Park

POA and TLC are so close, but I just can't quite put them on the list. Maybe I would on another day.

Are we talking about scores as represented on album, scores as they work in the movie or separate cues?

As represented on album:

1) Sabrina

2) Jurassic Park

3) Hook

5) Schindler's List

since the question is SCORES, and common sense would dictate that we are dealing with scores released on soundtracks.

There was no mention of cues.

So Datamaister you're saying that AOTC is as good as Raiders??? If you rounded then it should be in the falls short of, of course IMHO its a 1 star being most generous that I am.

since the question is SCORES, and common sense would dictate that we are dealing with scores released on soundtracks.

A film score is a collection of cues written for use in a film. Common sense would dictate that we are dealing with the lump sum of music written for a given film by John Williams.

A film score is a collection of cues written for use in a film. Common sense would dictate that we are dealing with the lump sum of music written for a given film by John Williams.

mmmm, NO.

The score to AotC is at least better than the movie. It has its highlights, but it ain't no classic.

As usual, I find myself strongly disagreeing with the musicians of the board, who evidentially judge the merits of a score on a technical level. A handicap I am gladly not laden with, though I do envy their inside insight, at times.

mmmm, NO.

You're nothing if not persuasive.

as usual, I find myself strongly disagreeing with the musicians of the board, who evidentially judge the merits of a score on a technical level. A burden I am gladly not laden with.

I don't know if I was intentionally lumped into that statement, but as a musician, I can say that I do not judge a score wholly on its technical merits - most of which are subjective and influenced by one's instinctive opinion of a score, anyway. They factor in, certainly, but what ultimately matters the most is whether or not I instinctively have a good time when listening to it. I cannot speak for the other musicians on the board, but that's how I personally approach music.

As represented on album:

1) Sabrina

2) Jurassic Park

3) Hook

5) Schindler's List

A score could be depending on one great track (e.g. Saving Private Ryan).

On the other side, I love the Empire Strikes Back music but not as it is on album. I hate the dry sound quality. The BPO re-recordings though I think are great, but they may not be considered here, apparantly.

Which makes SPR the exact opposite of a 5 star masterpiece..

Datameister: I appreciate what you're saying and I find it refreshing, on this board.

Which makes SPR the exact opposite of a 5 star masterpiece..

Ok, that's clear then. But my other point...

Scores I can definitively give five stars (one of the requirements is that I have seen the movie):

Jaws

Star Wars

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Superman

Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back

Raiders of the Lost Ark

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

Hm, this Williams guy is pretty good.

I might drop a few were I allowed to give 4.5 stars though. Superman, Empire and E.T. might not make the list in that case. Same for Azkaban, possibly.

Jaws

Star Wars

Close Encounters of the Trird Kind

Superman

The Fury

The Empire Strikes Back

Raiders of the Lost Ark

E.T.

Return of the Jedi

Empire of the Sun

Schindler's List

The Phantom Menace

A.I. Artificial Intelligence

HP & Prisoner Of Azkaban

Memoirs of the Geisha

What I would give five stars:

E.T.

Jaws

Hook

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (or any of the three)

The Empire Strikes Back (or any of the three, maybe TPM)

Artificial Intelligence

Probably Superman, although I am less enthusiastic about it.

Angela's Ashes

There are several like Schindler's List and Empire of the Sun that I'm not 100% on, even though they are outstanding works.

Anybody need my services? :lol:

do you have experience? If so when, where, and most interestingly HOW?

I've always suspected Luke might be one of an estimated dozen serial killers in Spain

Jane Eyre

Jaws

Star Wars

Superman

The Empire Strikes Back

Raiders of the Lost Ark

E.T.

Return of the Jedi

Hook

Jurassic Park

Schindler's List

The Phantom Menace

A.I.

Memoirs of a Geisha

I guess it'd be....

Jaws

Star Wars

The Empire Strikes Back

Raiders of the Lost Ark

E.T. the Extra Terrestrial

Home Alone

Hook

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

The Empire Strikes Back

Star Wars

Temple of Doom

CEot3K

Superman

If the room was on fire, and they said, "You got time to only save 5 cds," these would be the ones I'd grab.

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Last Crusade

Empire Strikes Back

E.T.

Hook

Sorcerer's Stone

Prisoner of Azkaban

indy4 - who'd like to point out that he has less scores that most people in this thread...

Jane Eyre

Close Encounters

Empire Strikes Back

E.T

Return of the Jedi

Empire of the Sun

Hook

Schindler's List

Jurassic Park

Sabrina

Sleepers

Seven Years in Tibet

Amistad

Saving Private Ryan

The Phantom Menace

Angela's Ashes

A.I

Minority Report

Prisoner of Azkaban

Revenge of the Sith

War of the Worlds

Memoirs of a Geisha

Munich

KIngdom of the Crystal Skull

So John Williams has written 25 five-star scores? I think everyone here is missing Joey's point and diluting the list of 5-star scores with a bunch of 4's, 3's, 2's, and all the decimals in between.

If the man has written that many masterpieces, that many five-star scores, then those titles lose their meaning and become nothing special.

Well, in my opinion, he really did write 25 five star scores. And I had the urge to inclue 4 or 5 more scores. The quality of his output, specially recently, is incredibly consistent

So John Williams has written 25 five-star scores? I think everyone here is missing Joey's point and diluting the list of 5-star scores with a bunch of 4's, 3's, 2's, and all the decimals in between.

If the man has written that many masterpieces, that many five-star scores, then those titles lose their meaning and become nothing special.

No, they're all special and you're missing the point of it ;) of his music, I mean.

My list is actually quite a bit longer than Romao's...

Merkel you might as well have listed the ones you don't consider 5 star, I'm sorry but all those scores are not equal to each other, and it really is an insult to his truly great scores to lump so many avg. ones in with the great ones

The weird thing about Merkel's list is not really that is long (I'm sure a lot o people here love all of Williams's scores) but that it's missing some of what many would consider the best (SW, Jaws, Superman, Raiders).

The weird thing about Merkel's list is not really that is long (I'm sure a lot o people here love all of Williams's scores) but that it's missing some of what many would consider the best (SW, Jaws, Superman, Raiders).

they are too Americana for him

What exactly are John's 5 star scores in your opinion.
Merkel you might as well have listed the ones you don't consider 5 star, I'm sorry but all those scores are not equal to each other, and it really is an insult to his truly great scores to lump so many avg. ones in with the great ones

;)

they are too Americana for him

Of course, it's an anti-American issue! After all, nothing says "Americana" like Star Wars.

I consider E.T. and Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom to be true, 5-star scores. There are a great number of 4.5-star runners up though, including SW: A New Hope and Raiders of the Lost Ark