What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Finally finished the first season of Community and started the second one. Really enjoying this. I can't really be bothered to invest in another drama show so this 20-minute format works perfectly. The show cheers me up when I need it - I really like these characters. And this comes from someone who never watches sitcoms.

Karol

10 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Is there not a single episode in GAME OF THRONES, when someone doesn't get their tits out

The bewbs and other miscellaneous titillation irritated me from the very beginning. It's so boring.

43 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Finally finished the first season of Community and started the second one. Really enjoying this. I can't really be bothered to invest in another drama show so this 20-minute format works perfectly. The show cheers me up when I need it - I really like these charat. And this comes from someone who never watches sitcoms.

Karol

Yea, it's a sitcom loaded with heart. It's ridiculous how rich these characters are.

11 minutes ago, Quintus said:

The bewbs and other miscellaneous titillation irritated me from the very beginning. It's so boring.

From what I remember, it was especially bad in season 2. Probably because of studio interference.

18 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I've never found bewbs "boring", but each to his own, Lee.

7 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I enjoy plenty of the characters in GOT. Of course, if you want them all to be flawless saints, then GOT is not for you, Richard. 

Don't get me wrong; it's a good show, and I'll continue watching.

I'm glad that Khal Drogo is gone. He was an idiot.

11 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Don't get me wrong; it's a good show, and I'll continue watching.

All I'm saying is that GOT has its likeable, righteous characters. Those aren't always the most interesting or colourful ones but they are necessary to bring some moral balance to the world of GOT. And as you'll find out, even the despicable are human. 

I watched two episodes of the docu series Jeffrey Epstein: Filthy Rich

AAAABY5UkAXfgQos7bcBG5pstMjY6erXLmYyds3o

@Disco Stu my wife's been watching some British flower arranging show, I think on Netflix, says it fills the void between British Bake Off seasons for her.  You checked it out?  One of the hosts in Nadja from WWDITS

I've never really been attracted to the "like Bake-Off but for [insert domestic hobby]" shows.  There's another one called the Great British Sewing Bee.  I love both the end products and the chemical/physical processes of baking.  Transforming these different ingredients into a unified thing that also happens to be delicious and can be a form of self-expression.  I don't find the same fascination with flower arranging or sewing.

‪Well, the final season of 13 Reasons Why was dreadful, and to make matters worse, they’ve dragged poor Gary Sinise into their mess.‬

index-successino-2-1565213407.jpg

Succession

It had a bit of a rough start. A House of Cards-esque look at the private sector and rich white folks crying for daddy, just with Adam McKay's signature visual style. But somewhere near the end of that first season it finally manages to tap into something more than humourless politics of it all. The second season finds a real rhythm and a proper sense of humour. Most of the beats really land, with some genuine laughs. And what a treat it is to just hear Brian Cox (who was mostly senile in the first season) repeatedly tell everyone around him to "Fuck Off!!". The characters also get richer, save for Hiam Abbass, whose fantastic screen presence sadly gets reduced to domestic housewife. Britell's baroque-pop score also brings a lot of the weight and flavour of the whole show. It's still a little dry in its lulls, but it's pretty entertaining with a promising finale. Sign me up for season 3!

Anyone else watch any of those Schitt's Creek episodes? I heard it has a cult following, so I tried a few and it's decent. Kev McCallister's mom pretty much dominates it. Anyone remember her in Scorsese's After Hours movie?

A while ago I finally got a VPN account. Mainly to be able to watch US Netflix. Turns out the main benefit (so far at least) is also having access to BBC iPlayer*. Yesterday I discovered Staged, a bite sized (15 minutes per episode) Corona Lockdown comedy starring David John Tennant and Michael Christopher Sheen, presented in the form of Zoom video chats. I'm 2 episodes in so far and have actually laughed out loudly.

*) the software is crap though, or at least the PS4 app is.

High Fidelity

I haven’t read Hornby’s novel, but it seems like this borrows heavily from the film, down to the costume design, breaking the fourth wall, and even the title font. The film is one of my favorites, so I’m biased, but the plot doesn’t really hold up stretched out over 10 episodes.

All that being said, I do like Zoë Kravitz in the role, and the rest of the cast is pretty solid as well. 

The writing went to shit long before Julie Kavner's voice did, sadly. 

Have FINALLY got around to starting my boxset of Firefly. Cool 'Western in space' vibe, attractive cast, good action and it's funny too ... should've been a six-season hit, gorram it.    

13 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Cool 'Western in space' vibe, attractive cast, good action and it's funny too ... 

It proved that the characters in the Star Wars Prequels were too wooden. 

I wasn't familiar with the TV show at the time and so the only thing that confused me is that internet peeps called it the best sci-fi movie ever made. Later I learned that these peeps were mainly avid Firefly fanatics. I wasn't impressed with Serenity but I did like it better after I watched the TV show.

Just finished the third season of Ozark.

It started a little slow, but it became amazing on the second half. 

I can't recommend this show enough: it's tense, wonderfully acted, the characters are complex and they curse a lot! I dunno if it's the next Breaking Bad/Sopranos, but it sits comfortably side by side with these classics.

And the wait for season 4 will be a very long one. They left a lot of cliffhangers at the end!

Finished second season of Community. It took me a couple of episodes to get used to the new tone but as it started going there are some really great episodes later on. it finished on a very high note.  And the RPG episode has some hilarious Howard Shore-like fantasy score writing. This show has better score than many features. Started watching season 3 now...

Karol

There was one episode early on in season 1 where Abed dresses as Batman. Is that what you mean? I forgot about that. The show gets much stranger later on. At that point it is still fairly conventional.

Karol

That was probably the 6th episode of the first season or something. You definitely need to watch season 2 for Golden Age Community.

The "Dungeons and Dragons" episode (second season) is a real riot, with some genuinely funny Shore-parody in Ludwig's score! It's the episode that introduced me to the show and Ludwig's talents.

10 hours ago, crocodile said:

Started watching season 3 now...

Fair warning, it gets even crazier. But it's probably the season with the most heart. And then everything turns to shit in season 4.

I couldn't stand that mess. A whole lot of money thrown at a whole lot of nothing...

It felt weird to me but maybe for people in LA, they really feel THAT strongly about the oscars. That it gives meaning to human life.

Someone could feel that strongly about it was kinda outrageous to watch.

Almost like Tarantino movies, where he fetishizes things that no one else gives a fuck about. Well here, there are people who care about awards but not to the degree that it is sole purpose of life. I felt slightly dirty after watching it. Like I had seen somebody masturbate about their perversion for 1 hour straight. 

I'm already at season 3!

And it's now etched in stone, Tyrion Lannister is my favorite character. 

gameofthrones_032813_1600.jpg

And here's my least favorite character:

maxresdefault.jpg

0b1b315eb63b6d1a8442efafcc89520a.jpg

I finished Angel. That does it for my complete rewatch of that series and Buffy. Angel had some startup problems but found its footing, stumbling in season 4 and rebounding with a sensational final season. I tried to delay my pleasure as much as I could, but the ridiculous binge-watchability of the series made that impossible.

The finale is frustrating not because of the open-ended closing scene, but simply because the series ended after getting so great. The last episode specifically was written with hasty destinies and a finality about it, where it's obvious they knew they were likely done for. Had it aired several years later, perhaps it could have been picked up by some streaming service, but I think they just threw in the towel and went out with a bang.

On 6/11/2020 at 2:16 AM, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

I gave up [ SUCCESSION] after about six episodes. Characters were all terrible.

I gave up sooner.

Total garbage.

Can't believe it's still on the air!

On 6/11/2020 at 2:27 AM, Quintus said:

Anyone else watch any of those Schitt's Creek episodes? I heard it has a cult following, so I tried a few and it's decent. Kev McCallister's mom pretty much dominates it. Anyone remember her in Scorsese's After Hours movie?

Oh god is it bad

It is like SUCCESSION , only inverted!

I tried the first few eps of WATCHMEN but couldn't get.into it.

Unclear.of the concept: washed up super heros meet 1920 race riot/ massacre?

Tried Fleabag. I couldn't stand it for more than 8 or 10 minutes. What an insufferable women. Everything was insufferable, actually. Even the aspect ratio was wrong. 

As soon as she started speaking to the camera like a right smartarse within the first few minutes my finger was dying to smash the exit button on the remote, but I had to endure because I was watching with my wife.

What develops was some frankly beautiful television and Fleabag is easily one of the best things I saw last year. It's funny how her initially obnoxious character and those irritating quirks end up being precisely the reasons why it gets so good. I love Phoebe Waller-Bridge, she's a brilliant talent.

Waller-Bridge is indeed remarkable. As a writer and an actress. Fleabag gets real good, real fast.

6 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Tried Fleabag. I couldn't stand it for more than 8 or 10 minutes. What an insufferable woman. Everything was insufferable, actually. Even the aspect ratio was wrong. 

Netflix, Prime ... I got it all but it's to no avail, I'm seriesless. :(

Oh wait, there was something called The End Of The Fucking World, or something. Is that any good or is it only for Fleabag people?