Jay

What is the last Television series you watched?

I'm disappointed in Mrs America. The ads sold it as a romping good conflict of ideologies with real bitch fights galore (kinda like Feud: Bette and Joan), but that just isn't happening. Instead it's slogging along with irrelevant side stories and spotlights on historical figures who've probably been widely forgotten, while Cate and Rose casually carry it all along with fleeting moments of excellence. This whole story isn't strong enough to stretch out to a nine-episode mini-series; instead it might have been a fairly decent two-hour tele movie.

I'm almost finished Angel season 1. This series had some growing pains and much of the first season is how I remembered it on the WB...the boring hour after Buffy. It eventually makes some big strides and the Godfather II-esque intercutting of the backstory is really great. It shows promise! I can't wait for Fall 2000.

5 episodes of My Brilliant Friend Season 2. Three more to go.

13978480-7882-11ea-beab-7fe3318082b2_800

KK and Holko are right. I thought episode 4 (island part 1) was the best so far (even bringing back the magic of S1) but episode 5 (island part 2) was almost annoying. That being said, Lila can be quite the bitch (over-the-top so)

But I have a question. Why does the music work so well? Let's be honest, it's all basic harmonies and equally basic rhythms, and yet it's so effective, like the scene where the two girls alter the huge photo of Lila for the new shoe shop. I rarely notice or enjoy the score these days, but with this series, I do.

The scene where Lenu

loses her virginity to the creepy father, under the moonlight of the Italian beach was quite chilling though.

10 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

But I have a question. Why does the music work so well? Let's be honest, it's all basic harmonies and equally basic rhythms, and yet it's so effective, like the scene where the two girls use alter the huge photo of Lila for the new shoe shop. I rarely notice or enjoy the score these days, but with this series, I do.

Yeah. Richter's music is simple, and derivative of his own material and yet it's so perfect at bringing out the subtext of the writing and characters. Maybe something about the simplicity of the music creates more space for the viewer to invest?

Hold on, it gets right back into being better.

The music working so well is especially impressive seeing how most of it is copied over and repeated from Season 1.

14 minutes ago, KK said:

The scene where Lenu

Hide contents

loses her virginity to the creepy father, under the moonlight of the Italian beach was quite chilling though.

Very metaphorical! At least, that is, if it's the beginning of a new Lenu.

Spoiler

Just like in episode 4 where the swimming in the sea is a metaphor for 'strength'. Lenu saw Lina as fragile and weak, but it was Lenu herself who was slow and couldn't catch up with the other two.

1 hour ago, Þekþiþm said:

Anyone else watch John Adams? I'm watching it because Mrs Ozark is in it. And I love the main theme tune.

Given my predilection for American historical movies/tv, this is unsurprisingly one of my favorite TV miniseries ever, and maybe my favorite Laura Linney performance too.  She won a very deserving Emmy for that.

So did anyone other than me see Curb this year? It had a really shaky start and it felt more "off" than ever; but then once the mostly awkward #MeToo subplot of the first handful of 'sodes were over, and the 'spite store' storyline became the focus, this season really went up the gears in a big way. By the end, there were episodes in this season that would feel right at home in Curb fifteen years ago. One of the instalments, 'The Ugly Section', I think ranks up there with the best ever Curb episodes, it was absolutely hilarious. 

Best Curb season in years. 

I don't watch this particular T.V. show, but...someone called Jimmy Fallon has apologised for putting on black face...almost twenty years ago (!). He thanked the public for "holding me accountable".

What's it got to do with the fucking public, and why does he feel the need to say "sorry" for something that happened in 2000? Can't people make mistakes, anymore, or are we all so scared shitless at the mere thought of offending anyone, especially those who might want reprisals?

18 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I don't watch this particular T.V. show, but...someone called Jimmy Fallon has apologised for putting on black face...almost twenty years ago (!). He thanked the public for "holding me accountable".

What's it got to do with the fucking public, and why does he feel the need to say "sorry" for something that happened in 2000? Can't people make mistakes, anymore, or are we all so scared shitless at the mere thought of offending anyone, especially those who might want reprisals?

Would you have preferred that he said: "Yes, I put on a black face and so what?!"

5 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Ozark (season 1)

An even darker, bleaker and more depressing Breaking Bad. A show so good that it doesn't appear to be made by Netflix, it should've been on HBO or something.

You might be taken aback that Season 3 injects some unexpected fleeting levity.

38 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Ozark (season 1)

An even darker, bleaker and more depressing Breaking Bad.

And it's only getting darker and bleaker, so much so, that it becomes hard to swallow after a while. The moral balance is lost. Everybody tries to be the best at being malicious. 

4 hours ago, Quintus said:

After finishing The Office a couple of weeks ago we had been looking for something to take its place, so we started watching... The Office from the beginning again. 

Parks and Rec is a good companion show. 

On 5/22/2020 at 2:18 PM, Disco Stu said:

Neat that they got Pedro Pascal on there.

This was an absolute riot. And their zoom chat reunion afterwards was a real treat too:

Hope they get enough buzz for that movie! #sixseasonsandamovie

8 minutes ago, KK said:

This was an absolute riot. And their zoom chat reunion afterwards was a real treat too:

Hope they get enough buzz for that movie! #sixseasonsandamovie

I may have enjoyed the table read more than the actual episode.  Very funny.  It got me on a Community kick, just jumping around among seasons 3, 5, and 6.  So much comedy gold.

Yea, I binged through the seasons recently too. Got pretty nostalgic. Seasons 2 and 3 still set the bar for best TV comedy!

I forgot to mention I watched that Comunity table read too, and I really enjoyed it

At first I was kinda surprised they picked something from season 5 instead of 1-3, but then I remembered anything earlier would involve Chevy Chase so it was wise to do the one they did.

I liked that they left in that part where Pedro Pascal couldn't get through that one line, that was funny

1 hour ago, KK said:

Yea, I binged through the seasons recently too. Got pretty nostalgic. Seasons 2 and 3 still set the bar for best TV comedy!

Is it cut from the same cloth as The Office and Parks and Rec? I watched a few episodes back when the show first aired but didn’t think much of it at the time. 

I think it's a lot better than those, personally.  It's some of the smartest comedy writing of recent memory.  But I was always more of a 30 Rock man than an Office man back in the mid to late 2000s.  Community was right in my wheel house when it started.

7 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Is it cut from the same cloth as The Office and Parks and Rec? I watched a few episodes back when the show first aired but didn’t think much of it at the time. 

Not really. In fact, it's more of a punk-esque, "rebellious" response to stuff like The Office, which became NBC's template for "smart comedy" at the time. Community is more meta, plays with genres/form but also has a lot of heart to it. It really comes into its own around the second half of the first season, btw. So I suggest sticking it out.

3 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I do like Alison Brie, so I’ll give it another spin. 

The cast is absolutely brilliant. One of the best comedy ensembles ever assembled, without a doubt.

Watch Steve Carell in the First Trailer for Netflix's 'Space Force ...

Carell and Malkovich do make a good enough pair, but even their combined talent cannot elevate this unfortunately rudimentary Netflix original series. Space Force never finds a comfortable tone, struggling to totally commit to it's satirical side (at least effectively), and failing to adequately balance it's main character's family life with the space aspects. It also doesn't help that it's, well, just not that funny. Plus, any reminder of the current American political landscape is a put-off for me. Not my cup of tea, maybe it's yours, but I wouldn't recommend it. 

On 5/28/2020 at 8:28 PM, Koray Savas said:

I do like Alison Brie, so I’ll give it another spin. 

I thought Community was absolutely hilarious at the start of S1, but I vaguely recall a very major drop-off not soon after. I can't remember if it was still the first season or a following one, but it was drastically less funny than it was, by the time we packed it in. I remember being disappointed. Maybe it does pick up again though.

Then again, I didn't like Parks and Rec either.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

I thought Community was absolutely hilarious at the start of S1, but I vaguely recall a very major drop-off not soon after. I can't remember if it was still the first season or a following one, but it was drastically less funny than it was, by the time we packed it in. I remember being disappointed. Maybe it does pick up again though.

You might be the only person to share that opinion friend. It's almost universally agreed that Community really found its stride in the second season. The quality drop really began post-season 3, though the third season's own wackiness might turn some of the casual fans off.

2 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Watch Steve Carell in the First Trailer for Netflix's 'Space Force ...

Carell and Malkovich do make a good enough pair, but even their combined talent cannot elevate this unfortunately rudimentary Netflix original series. Space Force never finds a comfortable tone, struggling to totally commit to it's satirical side (at least effectively), and failing to adequately balance it's main character's family life with the space aspects. It also doesn't help that it's, well, just not that funny. Plus, any reminder of the current American political landscape is a put-off for me. Not my cup of tea, maybe it's yours, but I wouldn't recommend it. 

Also checked this out. It's ridiculous how much money has been poured into something so terribly unfunny. I just can't see what Carrell and Daniels, the team that put The Office together, thought they had with this material. Nor Netflix, for that matter, who clearly don't mind burning money, from a curator's standpoint.

I guess they were aiming for Iannucci's Veep, but in space? Except there's not a single laugh in here. And there's hardly any convincing drama. Dumb, dumb, dumb...

Game Of Thrones  (Episode 1 of Season 1)

Now that was fun! Just to see the characters when they were younger and before they developed or evolved into different personalities. The only character who looks and acts exactly the same as in the last season is Jon Snow. I guess he merely needed to portray an archetype of the Fantasy hero. 

24-winter-is-coming-season-1-ah-back-whe

But, as you can see, everything does look a little BBC video like in the first season. 

I, too, have just started to watch GAME OF THRONES (and - I shit you not - for the first time), and I'm enjoying the political intrigue, and...er...other aspects :)

You're right, Alex; that still looks like the BBC version of NARNIA, that aired in the mid-to-late 80s.

2 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I, too, have just started to watch GAME OF THRONES (and - I shit you not - for the first time), and I'm enjoying the political intrigue, and...er...other aspects :)

You're right, Alex; that still looks like the BBC version of NARNIA, that aired in the mid-to-late 80s.

I think they used different cameras from S2 onward. 

2 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

... and I'm enjoying the political intrigue, and...er...other aspects :)

ba2517cc3a88e9d4a36346cbaa69b3f4.jpg