What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

• 2 weeks later...

Blue Eye Samurai

I became aware of this series a week before it's release, because the score album by Amie Doherty was released. I'm a fan of hers so while listening to the album I became intrigued to what it accompanied. I deliberately didn't watch the trailer, I wanted to go in as blindly as possible. And WOOOW!! I was hooked after the first episode.

I am not gonna go into the plot of the series, because that would spoil the experience of finding it out for yourself. The only thing I'll say it's that it's set Japan in the Edo period (17th Century).

The animation in this series is spectacular. It's mix between hand drawn and 3D animation. There are so many beautiful images and shots in this film, it's worth it just for that. But the show isn't just it's animation. It has fantastic characters, writing, directing, music and action scenes. The latter are especially cool if you love katana action (which I do). The choreography of the action is well done and it's filmed/animated in long takes which let's the action really breathe.

The voice cast is also really strong. Maya Erskine is great in the lead role, voicing a character with a lot of depth and an interesting background. George Takei was a joy to hear and Masi Oka adds a lot of heart to the show. Kenneth Branagh is also really well cast as the lead villain.

So yeah, I loved this!! It's currently in my top 10 of the best shows of the year. Everything just worked for me and I hope people watch it, because it has a great ending which leaves plenty of storylines open ended.

P.s. Don't think it's for kids. There is a lot of blood, cursing and sex in here (but all adding to the story).

The Crown: Season 6, Part 1

I love The Crown. It's been one of my favorite series since it's premiere in 2016. There's been said a lot about it during it's 4th and 5th seasons, because there were more liberties taken in showing certain events. I feel that some of this was warranted, but I also felt that the series very clearly was a dramatic interpretation of said historical events. 

If you had problems with this in previous seasons you might not like what is done in these first 4 episodes. But speaking for myself, I thought it was all done very tastefully and with respect. I thought it made certain members of the Royal Family more approachable and more human, which I liked.

This first part is almost entirely focused on Diana, and Elizabeth Debicki absolutely shines in the role. She embodies Diana in every ounce of her being and makes her the lovable person she was to so many people. I feel the show is very respectful of the unfortunate things that happen to her and Debicki's performance helps a lot with that.

The rest of the cast gets less to do, but is still really good. Imelda Staunton is again quit stoick as Queen Elizabeth, but softens a bit in the 4th episode. She hasn't had as much to do in the role as Claire Foy and Olivia Colman had in their seasons, but she's still very good and I'm really curious how they are going to end the series next month.

Everything else from the production, costumes, cinematography (the shot of Diana on the side of the boat was the standout), directing, writing and music are again top notch.

Some might not enjoy the liberties that have been taken, but I applaud the show for going there and making it work as good as it does. Looking forward to Part 2 in December.

Black Mirror 6x01 Joan Is Awful

Black Mirror is back, baby!  I liked this episode a lot!  After a very disappointing season 5, I was so glad they started season 6 off with an episode that was fun, funny, exciting, fresh, and not bleak as hell.  The fact that the ending is basically a happy one is so rare for Black Mirror, but it came here at just the right time.  Annie Murphy was good (much better than Kevin Can Fuck Himself), and Salma Hayek was brilliant casting to play opposite her.  The Cate Blanchett and Michael Cera castings were icing on the cake too. 

Invincible - Season 2: Part 1

Season 1 of Invincible was absolutely incredible! I still remember what it was like seeing that final episode. It was one of the most shocking things I'd ever seen. It was so graphic and heartbreaking, it really left a mark.

But that was two years ago. To say I didn't remember much else of the show is maybe an understatement. Those shocking moments in the finale is honestly all I remember, so I had a difficult time getting back into the second season.

Let me get the bad stuff out of the way first. It was a mistake to only release 4 episodes. I felt the first two episodes were a little hard to engage with (partly because of the gap between seasons and partly because the shows best character is nowhere to be seen). After those first two episodes I felt I was left with so many questions and no answers and I therefor didn't really enjoy them as much as I hoped. I'm having a hard time remembering what happened in those episodes. Don't think that is a good sign.

Now for the good. The final 2 episodes were incredible. Strong storytelling and very good in subverting expectations. This I feel is where the show is best, when it doesn't follow the so called "rules" and just goes bonkers. The storyline of Alan in episode three was the best of the entire season. It was so weird, wacky and shocking. Exactly what I love about the show.

The fourth episode went for the action & emotional route mostly, and that made the episode all the more better. The fight scenes were spectacular and there were real stakes again. Characters felt scared and were in real life threatening events.

The episode ended on a major cliffhanger, so I hope we don't have to wait too long on them. I feel these four episodes would've been better as a binch or they should've waited to release all eight episodes. This show is still very good, but season two gets mostly let down by it's release strategy.

• 2 weeks later...

Watch Pantheon; Season 1 | Prime Video

My girlfriend introduced me to this show Pantheon last week. We've almost finished season 1, there's just 1 episode left.

This series is phenomenal! It's so sad that no one's ever heard of it. It tackles some pretty complex issues regarding the future of machine intelligence in a fascinating and realistic way. There are some awesome ethical dilemmas as well. Really the only criticism I have of it is that there's almost no score whatsoever, but the story is so good that it doesn't really matter. 

Unfortunately the series has been very unlucky in the way it was released. It was commissioned as a 2-season show for AMC+, but the show was removed as part of the tax write off they did not even three months after S1 came out. Apparently they also uploaded the episodes in the wrong order by accident meaning the show was very confusing to watch for anyone who did get a chance to see it. 

At the time of cancellation season 2 was already completed but not yet released, meaning there was a chance it might never have seen the light of day - but fortunately Amazon Prime (in AU/NZ only) licensed it a few weeks ago and put up both seasons, so season 2 is out there now. If you don't live in AU or NZ I don't believe there's currently any legal way to watch it, but hopefully that changes soon.

This show deserves a lot more attention 

59 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Has anyone watched

THE SANDMAN

Saw this!!

The first half of the season, episodes 1-6, is some of the best tv out there. And really is best to go into as blind as possible. Especially episodes 5 & 6 are stellar

Episodes 7-10 and 11 are still really good, but are a bit less special.

But definitely worth checking out

I loved that series, me that usually don't love anything.

I'm currently stuck watching a Korean police series called 'My Name,' and I'm struggling to understand if it's Woo Chung Gan or Gan Whoo Ung, or even Sun Goo Wan who murdered... Anyway, I don't know who is who in this series. I hope it ends soon.

Saw on Reddit that the Monarch TV show starts decently and both Russels (father and son) are good in it, but then it quickly descends into another CW-style teen drama with soap opera-level writing and lots of romantic crap but little to no monster action after a few episodes.

Thank goodness I don't pay for Apple TV anymore. Will return once the second season of Severance is complete, then I'll cancel it again after completing the season.

I just finished watching 'Harry and Meghan.' Oh wow, it was so marvelous!!! OMG!!!

I'm being a bit ironic here.

These two seem like great megalomaniacs.

"LOOK, THERE'S PAPARAZZI AGAIN! THEY'RE FOLLOWING US!":

image.gif

... And also, 'Hmm, my bowel movements are different this morning,' I'm going to write a text and send it to The Guardian.

The Crown: Season Six, Part 2

The final six episodes of The Crown go back, mostly, to the feel of the show in it's first seasons. I loved the focus on Diana in season 5 and the start of season six. I feel they handled all of that very well and with respect. But I did feel that it was a loss that Elizabeth herself was sidelined after being with her so much for four seasons.

Luckily in these final episodes the story is more focused on Elizabeth & Margaret. Those four episodes here are The Crown at it's best. But the other two, focusing on William & Kate, didn't fully work for me. One of those episodes was a bit hard to watch to be honest, but luckily the second was a lot better. I felt that they needed a lot more time to really explore their relationship. It felt rushed.

But back to the positives. It was really great to finally see Imelda Staunton getting some interesting stuff to do. Both Claire Foye & Olivia Colman had some truly fantastic and iconic moments in their seasons, but Staunton didn't really have that yet...until now. The final episode of the series is beautiful, though quite sad, and is able to really let Staunton fully embody Elizabeth. There are some powerful moments in that episode and I thought it was a beautiful send off to the series and Elizabeth.

Now, my other favorite episode is the one focused on Margaret. This was The Crown at it's very best. Terrific writing, directing and acting. Lesly Manville was absolutely fantastic here and honestly broke my heart. It was just terrific.

A lot has been said about The Crown changing historic events and making stuff up. I think I've always been aware of it, but because the earlier seasons were farther away it was less obvious. In these episodes there were definitely moments where I knew or noticed that it wasn't real. But when stuff is this well written and acted, it doesn't really bother me. If I want to know the real stuff, I'll look it up.

So, The Crown has come to an end. I have loved every season of it, even the ones that were lesser. But this will always be among my favorite series of all time. And that final shot alone almost makes sure it stays there forever. Absolutely stunning!

Crapflix released a report on their most watched titles from January to June 2023.

https://about.netflix.com/en/news/what-we-watched-a-netflix-engagement-report

The winner was something called "The Night Agent: Season 1", which was watched for over 800 million hours.

2 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

The Crown: Season Six, Part 2

The final six episodes of The Crown go back, mostly, to the feel of the show in it's first seasons. I loved the focus on Diana in season 5 and the start of season six. I feel they handled all of that very well and with respect. But I did feel that it was a loss that Elizabeth herself was sidelined after being with her so much for four seasons.

Luckily in these final episodes the story is more focused on Elizabeth & Margaret. Those four episodes here are The Crown at it's best. But the other two, focusing on William & Kate, didn't fully work for me. One of those episodes was a bit hard to watch to be honest, but luckily the second was a lot better. I felt that they needed a lot more time to really explore their relationship. It felt rushed.

But back to the positives. It was really great to finally see Imelda Staunton getting some interesting stuff to do. Both Claire Foye & Olivia Colman had some truly fantastic and iconic moments in their seasons, but Staunton didn't really have that yet...until now. The final episode of the series is beautiful, though quite sad, and is able to really let Staunton fully embody Elizabeth. There are some powerful moments in that episode and I thought it was a beautiful send off to the series and Elizabeth.

Now, my other favorite episode is the one focused on Margaret. This was The Crown at it's very best. Terrific writing, directing and acting. Lesly Manville was absolutely fantastic here and honestly broke my heart. It was just terrific.

A lot has been said about The Crown changing historic events and making stuff up. I think I've always been aware of it, but because the earlier seasons were farther away it was less obvious. In these episodes there were definitely moments where I knew or noticed that it wasn't real. But when stuff is this well written and acted, it doesn't really bother me. If I want to know the real stuff, I'll look it up.

So, The Crown has come to an end. I have loved every season of it, even the ones that were lesser. But this will always be among my favorite series of all time. And that final shot alone almost makes sure it stays there forever. Absolutely stunning!

Damn, jij laat er ook geen gras over groeien. ;)

On 23/11/2023 at 8:17 PM, Jay said:

Black Mirror 6x01 Joan Is Awful

Black Mirror is back, baby!  I liked this episode a lot!  After a very disappointing season 5, I was so glad they started season 6 off with an episode that was fun, funny, exciting, fresh, and not bleak as hell.  The fact that the ending is basically a happy one is so rare for Black Mirror, but it came here at just the right time.  Annie Murphy was good (much better than Kevin Can Fuck Himself), and Salma Hayek was brilliant casting to play opposite her.  The Cate Blanchett and Michael Cera castings were icing on the cake too. 

Was Salma Hayek digitally enhanced? She is 56 years old but looked incredible! Body double, cgi?😚😳

• 2 weeks later...

According to EW, these were the 20 best TV episodes of the year:

https://ew.com/best-tv-episodes-of-2023-8414551

Star Wars fans will be happy to see Ahsoka at number 2. Still, this is kind of a weird list. I mean, Succession only in 18th? Even the Wheel of Shit managed to get a spot on the list, which makes me wonder if there was some shady business behind (Amazon has deep deep pockets).

36 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

According to EW, these were the 20 best TV episodes of the year:

https://ew.com/best-tv-episodes-of-2023-8414551

Star Wars fans will be happy to see Ahsoka at number 2. Still, this is kind of a weird list. I mean, Succession only in 18th? Even the Wheel of Shit managed to get a spot on the list, which makes me wonder if there was some shady business behind (Amazon has deep deep pockets).

I haven't seen a lot of these episodes and Ahsoka wouldn't make my list at all. However it's only at number 2 (and Succession at 18th) because the list is alphabetical by the show's name. I loved their "first" pick from Afterparty.

8 hours ago, Melvin Frohike said:

However it's only at number 2 (and Succession at 18th) because the list is alphabetical by the show's name. I loved their "first" pick from Afterparty.

Hmm, that makes sense. Don't know how I didn't realize this :lol:

Seinfeld... don't know why I'd never watched it before, but it's great, right up my street with a brilliant mix of absurd and surreal, with the totally relatable. Also kudos for it featuring Alex North's actual music for a scene when the gang go to watch Spartacus at the cinema Kramer (somehow) works at. For an earlier episode where they watch Home Alone they piped in some entirely inauthentic generic music (as is so often the case) so to hear Alex North pop up was quite a surprise. Even my other half clocked my reaction, realising that I had spotted that it was the original score.

On 31/12/2023 at 5:28 AM, A24 said:

The Crown Season 6 ends with the shot of the year for me, movies or TV series.

I got chills from Philip's speech towards the end at St. George's Chapel, where he's talking about the fate of the Royals after they're gone, but I also see it as an analogy for where the world is today, this bit in particular...

Spoiler

2023-12-23 at 09.08.14.jpeg2023-12-23 at 09.08.22.jpeg

1 hour ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Seinfeld... don't know why I'd never watched it before, but it's great, right up my street with a brilliant mix of absurd and surreal, with the totally relatable. Also kudos for it featuring Alex North's actual music for a scene when the gang go to watch Spartacus at the cinema Kramer (somehow) works at. For an earlier episode where they watch Home Alone they piped in some entirely inauthentic generic music (as is so often the case) so to hear Alex North pop up was quite a surprise. Even my other half clocked my reaction, realising that I had spotted that it was the original score.

I'm halfway through, after getting stuck somewhere near the end of S1 during my first attempt, many years ago.

I… like it? Mostly? It's got some good ideas, some occasional clever bits, and once it gets into its groove, it's enjoyable to watch it. Still, I don't really see why it was so big. Based on what I heard from other people over the years, I was expecting some sort of intellectual counterpart to Friends. It's certainly a precursor of that (tons of story ideas show up here first), but intellectual it isn't. It's just as dated in some respects, and hardly intellectual. It's perhaps (though I'm not even sure about that) less "commercial", but it's also more limited (by nature of its more limited core cast). The first two (shorter) seasons were pretty lame (it gets more focused and enjoyable in S3). And of all of Seinfeld's standup bits, I've so far found perhaps three funny (and I'm near the end of S5). Sometimes I feel like at least half the show's appeal comes from Kramer entering doors (it *is* worth seeing just for that).

Re the source music: I haven't seen the Spartacus bit yet, but I did of course immediately notice the (non-)Home Alone music. They had Schindler's List recently, and simply played some German dialogue for that, without music.

3 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Seinfeld... don't know why I'd never watched it before, but it's great ...

Just found this today on facebook. 

415742128-410249287997404-62322014816339

3 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

I got chills from Philip's speech towards the end at St. George's Chapel, where he's talking about the fate of the Royals after they're gone, but I also see it as an analogy for where the world is today, this bit in particular...

Reveal hidden contents

Also, it helps that the actor who is playing Prince Philip is none other than the charismatic Jonathan Pryce. 

Beef 1x01 The Birds Don't Sing, They Screech in Pain

We're finally checking out this show that everyone watched forever ago.  Based on the first episode, I'm in!  I enjoyed the setup here, where we start with two people in a road rage incident where they don't know the identity of each other, follow their separate lives for most of the rest of the episode, then bring them together again at the end.  Tonally, the blend of drama and comedy was pretty good and more or less what I expected; I hope there is a lot more comedy to come, as I've seen plenty of comedy/drama blend shows that start out funny and get more and more serious as they go on.  We'll see what happens here.

I like that they are both different flavors of Asian-American and we get insights into their separate but similar cultures and home lives as well as their personal stories.  The first episode come to think of it spent much more time on Steven Yeun than Ali Wong, so I look forward to learning a lot more about her deal

Beef 1x02 The Rapture of Being Alive

Man, I love all the juxtapositions this show explores.  You got Danny struggling to get by vs Amy and George being well off, the difference in the way Danny and his brother Paul approach things (and both different from their cousin Isaac), the difference in how Amy and George want to retaliate (or not) against Danny, etc.  Really, the two main characters are surrounded by family that are more level-headed, but they constantly sabotage progress at seemingly every opportunity.  Amy review-bombing Danny's company and painting his car will obvious have bad repercussions, and Danny immediately forming a new company with his brother then kicking him out after one day will too (not to mention the terrible way he lost almost $20,000 in crypto in a day).  Sheesh!

I find the scenes with Danny and his brother just as interesting as the ones with Amy and her husband.  Danny has bad ideas but Paul is naive and doesn't have the work ethic.  But Amy and George, everything she said to him after she told him she masterbated with the gun (that explain everything basically), he completely ignored and instead just kink-shamed her and ignored her for the rest of the night.  I was actually surprised she agreed to couples therapy, we'll see how that goes!

Beef 1x03 I Am Inhabited by a Cry

Well now I see why Amy agreed to couples' therapy so willingly; She doesn't take it seriously at all, and knows exactly what to say to make George believe she's making improvements (I'm not sure the therapist bought it though, hard to say).  The whole church arc for Danny was pretty interesting - the genuine crying, seemingly some personal growth... only for the rug to be pulled out from our feet when he asks about getting a loan through the church for the same amount he wants to buy that property.  Oi!  Amy only being able to sell her company if she stays on for 5 years is a big wrinkle in her plans, and Paul showing up at her work was kinda nuts.  I hadn't realized that she used her coworker's pics as her own, and I have no idea why she let him kiss her at the end! 

Well the real end was Danny playing Incubus at the church and damn I love all the music in this show!  Hoobastank, Incubus, Collective Soul, Tori Amos... keep it coming!  I noticed a score cue in this episode too for the first time, it reminded me of Blake Neely's work on Flight Attendant which I like a lot too.  Cool!

Beef 1x04 Just Not All at the Same Time

Super fun episode!  I loved the Vegas excursion (though was bummed to see they just filmed it in LA like everythign else).  Danny seems to have reached a level of enlightenment after his church experience, and seems to generally be over the beef with Amy... though he's still up to no good, seemingly still wanting to get the church loan for his own use, and stealing materials from another job site with Isaac to make that happen.  These guys are so shortsighted, I'm sure this will come back to bite them in the ass like everything else. It's also completely insane that after stealing it all, he'd leave it in the truck instead of unloading it immediately, but I guess that was the excuse the writers needed to get him and Isaac to chase Paul to Vegas after he goes there to surprise Amy.  And speaking of Amy, I was shocked how far she let things go with Paul.  She is self sabotaging as much as Danny is now, basically!

The one thing I didn't like about this episode was the weird time squishing.  First there was the show showing us Amy going up in the elevator seemingly at the same time Danny and Isaac were chasing Paul up to it only for that not to matter at all, then she gets a completely new hairstyle, something that would have taken hours, in seemingly the amount of time it took Danny and Isaac to go back downstairs after getting the keys in the room.  Weird.  It was also bit of a weird shortcut that they see Amy talking thanks to the conference room being open and right next to the gambling floor, something that would never happened.  I really thought they were going to get away at the end, and was kind of surprised that the security guards finally caught up to them.  Amy arriving in time to wag her finger at them was funny.  The whole show peppers in comedic moments among all the drama at just the right times, really

On 31/12/2023 at 8:59 AM, A24 said:

It was surreal, as if she was slowly walking towards the Gates Of Heaven.

Isn't that the ending of Lost though?

Karol

On 01/11/2023 at 6:24 AM, Tallguy said:

I should get back to that. For that matter I should get back to Slow Horses.

I watched all three seasons of Slow Horses. It's a weird show to call "fun" because a lot of it is not fun at all. There came a moment when I realized that the screwups and misfits might be the protagonists but they really are screwups and misfits. It's just that they aren't nearly as incompetent as people think and the "real" spies aren't nearly as good as they think. It's very John Le Carre.

I came here to post that I finished Monarch: Legacy this morning. i.e. The Godzilla Show. I liked it. I liked it a lot. The central premise of the guy with two families that don't know about each other is kind of a tough sell when you're supposed to have any kind of sympathy for him. But other than that it's great. Solid cast.

The Russells are terrific. It's stunt casting but it works and it pays off.

They pulled off the neat trick of getting you (well, me) to care about the various plot lines and not just wait for the big monster fights. Which is good because those are few and far between.

When did this kind of retro 80's John Carpenter sound become all the rage in scoring? The score is OK excepting one moment in the finale that is "I have to find this on the soundtrack" good.

I do wonder how much if at all it's going to tie in to the new Godzilla Kong movie (that I'm so uninterested in that I can't remember its name).

I also binged Foundation a few weeks ago. Maybe my favorite current show. I've been spending a lot of time on Apple+ lately. I'm familiar enough with the books that I recognize the names and some of the plots but not enough that it's pissing me off. (I hope I haven't already posted this.) For whatever reason this hits on all levels for me.

On 12/12/2023 at 11:59 PM, Edmilson said:

Thank goodness I don't pay for Apple TV anymore. Will return once the second season of Severance is complete, then I'll cancel it again after completing the season.

I just happened across that show when I had a free month trial of Apple TV. If there's any reason in the future for me to sign up again, it would definitely be season 2 of severance. 

It's so rare these days to get the chance to stumble across something completely blind and it end up being so great.

Also just finished episode 5 of Fargo season 5. This show never fails to remain top tier TV for me, and I've loved every season so far. This, along with Legion, gives me so much hope for Noah Hawley's upcoming Alien series.

Aside from his main theme, which is great and gets tons of awesome variations, Jeff Russo's scoring has never been quite listenable on its own for me, aside from some great tracks from season 4. That being said, his scoring is always so great at fitting the mood and enhancing what's going on onscreen, without ever fading into the background, and sometimes just taking command of a scene with some great orchestral swells during the really dramatic scenes. He's always doing some fun stuff with the drums throughout the series, too.

Severance is great and the long wait for Season 2 is brutal!

True Detective : Night Country is airing in the UK on a channel that I have (the previous 3 seasons didn't, but apparently the only truly good one was Season 1) so I watched the first episode last night. Intriguing stuff with a cast including Jodie Foster, Fiona Shaw and Christopher Eccleston.  

Oh damn I watched it last night and didn't even recognize Eccleston!

Mad Men Season 5

Mad_Men_TV_Series-922668626-large.jpg

I had to watch the last episode on Blu-ray because Prime suddenly removed the series from their standard content (you now must pay separately to watch Mad Men). The series is still in my top 5. 

1 hour ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Christopher Eccleston.  

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Oh damn I watched it last night and didn't even recognize Eccleston!

What?!?!? Where?!?! I didn't recognise him either. Who does he play?

Fiona Shaw's dead husband that led her barefoot to the bodies

20 minutes ago, Jay said:

No way!! That's fricking awesome! Didn't catch that at all

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I was under the impression he was playing Jodie Foster's commanding officer, and didn't actually appear in the first episode but will do at some stage - 

New look at Doctor Who star Christopher Eccleston's True Detective reboot