The Official Film Score Monthly (FSM) Thread

Ollie

Then I'm glad I'm not a completist. I passed on the $5 The River because I'm lazy. What part of a blind monkey would think I'd pay 12x for this?

To pass on the $5 "Avatar"(for eg.), is one thing, but some things - and that includes music c.d.s - can be classed as "investments". A $5 dollar outlay on The River would net you as much 10x that, if you chose to sell it on.

I'm so glad I'm not a completist. If I didn't need SpaceCamp I sure as hell don't need this, as nice as I'm sure it is.

You are missing the point about this, guys. The point is, not to spend $60 on 18 minutes of J.W., but to invest in a whole lot of music by different composers, 18 minutes of which just happens to be written by God. The rest (Goldsmith, Grusin, Fielding, et. al.) could be considered an added bonus. You pay your money, and you take your choice,

The completist in me wants that 17 1/2 minutes of Williams score, but the realist in me doesn't want to pay $60 to get it

My thought exactly. I even quoted you on FSM!

There's no "chance" taking with this set. There are approximately 75% complete cue samples for every single track on it. That's more than enough.

Almost 18 minutes of Williams is the least interesting thing on the set!

:cool:

That reminds me of the time when FSM used to post full clips and someone on the trading board tried to trade the sound files from the Tom & Jerry set before it was even released.

Haven't you got enough to listen to already Koray? :)

I only buy Ltd Eds that I really, absolutely definitely want. Even the most bored amongst us don't have time to listen to everything that's released.

You can order Lawrence of Arabia directly from Tadlow without shipping costs.

Not only that, but the £16.95 GBP that Tadlow advertises translates into $27.11 USD if you buy it directly from them. Sure, that's 16 cents more than SAE, but if you put that up against SAE's shipping:

USA: $4.35 for the first disc and .95 for each additional disc. Don't forget to add .95 for each disc in multiple CD sets.

then Tadlow wins. I'm tempted to cancel my pre-order through MovieMusic to get it directly from Tadlow, but would then have to buy something else from MM to be the third item on that order to get their $1 shipping.

Spend $20 to get a discount of a few pennies? That's American logic for you.

It's tempting to get this just for the Williams music, but at $60 but not tempting. I do want to own it eventually, but I don't think this item will go too quickly.

Someone posted this on FSM, thought I'd post it here. But it's the online notes for the upcoming Ron Jones Star Trek TNG box set.

http://www.filmscore...ox05_intro.html

That's a LOT of liner notes, and a great read.

Also noticed samples for the episodes to the right. Sounds great !!!

Poltergeist: Now THIS is one I WANT !!!

Especially if they have more music, and better quality sources.

The Rhino was complete, but there should be some more alternates. The sound quality will be great though, and there should be the original LP as well.

Side note: Rhino's website sells FLAC downloads. Only to the US, but that's pretty cool.

I have the Rhino edition, and it is one of my favorite CDs.

I had no idea whether it was actually complete, or whether it was merely expanded from the LP (which I don't have).

Given FSM's habit of producing stunning releases on CD, I suspect this will be a great way to retire my Rhino version, love it as I do.

The Rhino was complete, and disc 1 of the new FSM set should be more or less identical to it (except with improved sound). But disc 2 will feature Goldsmith's complete original LP album assembly plus never before heard alternates

I haven't listened to it in a while, but in my memory, the Rhino sounds perfectly fine. Of course there's always room for improvement - if the FSM sounds significantly better, it'l be an awesome release.

Star Trek: Ron Jones Project is up for preorder. First 100 copies are autographed.

Autographed Pre Order

Non Autographed Pre-Order

I caved and ordered an autographed set. As it is shipping in late September, I guess that means I have 30 days to mull it over if I decide to cancel?

Is this release massive enough to warrant its own thread here? EDIT: I guess it is! ;) Thanks, Jay!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So... is it pretty much a sure thing to assume that FSM is releasing Poltergeist this month? I mean it's one of the few times they let it slip they would be releasing a title long before it was released. This would pretty much be the month to release it.

I think SAE was replying to someone on Facebook and mentioned that it would be toward the end of the year.

I would imagine Lukas wishes he never dropped a hint it was coming. :)

Oh and kudos to Lukas and co for the Hawaii 5-0 disc.

I don't get rid of my old CDs. The 2000 Superman is still a nice package with unique booklet and notes, and a couple tracks are edited slightly differently if you're a freak for that sort of thing. I think a track in the Krypton explosion and the unique edit of the pop version of CYRMM.

I gave my old GNP releases for Star Trek II and III to someone on FSM for free. I had no need for them any more and that fellow FSMer actually wanted those releases for part of his collection. I don't like the idea of making profit on my CD's, or even trying to get back what I paid for them.

I gave my old GNP releases for Star Trek II and III to someone on FSM for free. I had no need for them any more and that fellow FSMer actually wanted those releases for part of his collection. I don't like the idea of making profit on my CD's, or even trying to get back what I paid for them.

:)

I generally follow the same principle. Whenever I don't need a CD, I've given it to our local charity. However, this Elfman box has prompted me to sell some CDs soon.

I sold my old Search for Spock a few months before the new release for almost exactly what the new one cost. :)

That's how it's done. Casual fans of a particular film who liked the the music will snatch up OOP OSTs. And since OOP OSTs are almost always high in price, you set yours to relieve the cost of the new release, maybe go for a few extra bucks.

• 2 weeks later...

So perhaps Poltergeist won't be released this month after all. If they're gonna do it, it'd either already have been released on Tuesday, or perhaps they are going for a Friday release. Don't they put out their CDs whenever they want, unlike the other outlets? Either way, I hope that initial comment still stands true and that we will get it this year sometime in the last few months. Though it is odd they wouldn't take advantage of the obvious month to release it. :fouetaa: Maybe they are saving it as their big Christmas release.

I'm going to reiterate that Lukas probably wishes he hadn't said anything. But he did it so people wouldn't double dip with the reissue of the Rhino CD.

They used to have a release schedule of 2 CDs a month and would normally announce them on a Monday or Thursday.

Fascinating. Lukas is admitting that FSM deliberately pressed more than 3000 copies of certain titles, like Logan's Run - which is why many FSM titles never sell out. I'm sure there are some who'll cry foul that the edition size is then greater than 3000, but honestly, who cares? It's nice to have these CDs stay in print and available whenever possible.

As I posted over there, I would guess 90% of the titles FSM has done are announced as 3000 per. It's not like he's pressing all these 1000 copy releases and actually doing 5000 per.