Which British composer would you like to see compose for London '12?

BLUMENKOHL

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nyman, or Fenton wouldn't be too shabby either. Doyle could be cool, but I feel he needs some fresh inspiration first, or it'll just end up sounding like his Potter and Eragon all over again.

For some reason I can never warm up to Fenton. Something about his music is very Brian Tylerish...it never....quite...climaxes perfectly....it's like...well so so sex.

Realisticly speaking, Fenton might be right choice. I don't know of any celebrated British serious composers to name one.

I'd love to hear something from David Arnold or John Powell..., but I doubt any of them would want to write a non-film piece (I know that Arnold doesn't feel like doing something like this).

John Barry would have been great 20 years ago, right now I don't see him coming up with anything uplifting and energetic (which, I suppose, that Olympic theme should be like).

John Powell.

Edit: Scratch that. As much as I'd love to hear a Powell Olympics piece, Richard Harvey would be absolutely perfect for it!

For some reason I can never warm up to Fenton. Something about his music is very Brian Tylerish...it never....quite...climaxes perfectly....it's like...well so so sex.

Some of his stuff can meander... but scores like Ever After or Planet Earth are great.

Realisticly speaking, Fenton might be right choice. I don't know of any celebrated British serious composers to name one.

I mentioned Nyman, who has a long history of doing commissions for official events. His MGV, written for the inauguration of some TGV track, remains one of my favourites. And I think he's perfectly up to the task of writing heroic/inspiring music. He'd certainly do something interesting... after all, he's already written several works related to football (one of them actually portraying an imaginary football match).

Or maybe NBC will just say the hell with it and commission Williams to compose a new theme just for their use like they did for the 1988 Seoul Summer Olympics.

Or maybe NBC will just say the hell with it and commission Williams to compose a new theme just for their use like they did for the 1988 Seoul Summer Olympics.

If so, I hope and pray that they would not give it the same treatment that the NFL Theme got for the Super Bowl a few months ago....

I mentioned Nyman, who has a long history of doing commissions for official events. His MGV, written for the inauguration of some TGV track, remains one of my favourites. And I think he's perfectly up to the task of writing heroic/inspiring music. He'd certainly do something interesting... after all, he's already written several works related to football (one of them actually portraying an imaginary football match).

Although I am not the biggest Michael Nyman fan, that would be quite appropriate considering that Michael Nyman is from Stratford (the east London location of the Olympic Stadium).

Which British composer would you like to see compose for London '12?, Olympics!

2uiw7dg.jpg

Howard Goodall (Website)

of some of his orchestral/choral work

Lots of choral and organ works, and musicals, and the following.........

"The sound of hoofbeats cross the glade, Good folk, lock up your son and daughter"

"It's cold outside, theres no kind of atmosphere"

"Ecce homo qui est faba"

You get the idea :lol:

• 2 years later...

I thought I would resurrect this thread for any information about the music for the London 2012 Olympic Games, as I know there is some interest in Olympics music on this forum given John Williams's track record in this area. First up is a nice piece about composer Philip Sheppard, who was tasked with arranging the national anthems of all the competing nations for use in the medal ceremonies. They have been recorded by the London Philharmonic Orchestra and I read that three countries have adopted his version as their official arrangement.

In other news, it was announced recently that the London Symphony Orchestra will be recording the music for the opening and closing ceremonies:

http://www.lso.co.uk...mpic-Ceremonies

Brian Tyler is American, n'est-ce pas?

i want to listen to the spanish anthem played by the LPO, is it anywhere?

I cannot find any information about a CD release, unfortunately. If not you'll just have to hope at least one of your boys or girls makes it to the top of the podium!

Michael Nyman, there is no better British composer.

Jonny Greenwood.

I didn't know John Williams was British, though...

He is if you go back enough generations.

I really hope they're going to put whatever is recorded on itunes/'all good digital music stores'.

But Arnold's the music director and his TV work has been released lately (Sherlock), so hopefully that will happen.

Nothing's more annoying than hearing some great music on TV sometimes.