The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

I saw Brotherhood Of The Bell recently and was pleasantly surprised to see Goldsmith's name in the titles.

Knew one of the labels would get to it eventually.

The score was quite suitably eerie and unnerving.

I might pick this one up.

Here's the only info so far for September 28th's release.

Just one Special Collection release limited to 3000 units.

It's a bit pointless to speculate at this time...gotta wait until more information is posted, if it will be posted.

Next clue:

It's from the early/mid 80s.

Alright! What titles from the early/mid 80s would warrant a 3,000 unit release?

Some ideas:

Jerry Goldsmith

Masada (1981)

Night Crossing (1981)

The Secret of N.I.M.H. (1982)

Psycho II (1983)

Gremlins (1984)

Supergirl (1984)

Runaway (1984)

Legend (1985)

Explorers (1985)

King Solomon's Mines (1985)

Poltergeist II (1986)

Link (1986)

Hoosiers (1986)

John Williams

Heartbeeps (1981)

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)

The River (1984)

(I doubt its any of these)

James Horner

Humanoids from the Deep

Battle Beyond the Stars

Deadly Blessing

The Hand

Wolfen

The Pursuit of D.B. Cooper

48 Hrs.

The Dresser

Gorky Park

Testament

Uncommon Valor

Brainstorm

The Stone Boy

Volunteers

Commando

Cocoon

Heaven Help Us

The Name of the Rose

Off Beat

Where the River Runs Black

An American Tail

Alan Silvestri

Romancing the Stone (1984)

Fandango (1985)

Cat's Eye (1985)

Summer Rental (1985)

The Clan of the Cave Bear (1986)

American Anthem (1986)

Flight of the Navigator (1986)

No Mercy (1986)

What other composers have been getting 3000 unit releases? Maybe a John Barry title? Michael Kamen? Who else?

Masada (1981)

Generally expected to be a 2CD set, I believe?

The Secret of N.I.M.H. (1982)

Could definitely do with a remaster.

Legend (1985)

Already released numerous times and still available.

King Solomon's Mines (1985)

Poltergeist II (1986)

Both had expanded releases quite recently.

You know, I was thinking Roger was probably referring to 1983 or 1984.... 1980-1982 are clearly "early 80s", and 1985-86 are clearly "mid 80s".

Brainstorm (Horner)

Psycho II (Goldsmith)

Gremlins (Goldsmith)

Supergirl (Goldsmith)

Beverly Hills Cop (Harold Faltermeyer)

Ghostbusters (Elmer Bernstein)

The Last Starfighter (Craig Safan)

Conan The Destroyer (Basil Poledouris)

The River (John Williams)

What else from either year would sell 3,000 units? I highly doubt Testament or Uncommon Valor would, especially considering they only pressed 2500 The Journey Of Natty Gann's (though, they did sell 3000 Something Wicked This Way Comes, and the 3000 Honey I Shrunk The Kids is still in print)

It would be nice if Ghostbusters got the full proper release it deserves and remastered too. While I do have Varèse copy, I would still gladly buy a full remastered version just like I did with Predator.

I was thinking... if you split a decade into 5 categories - Early, Early/Mid, Mid, Mid/Late, and Late, each being 2 years, then "Early/Mid" could refer to 82-83.

So I've revised my potential titles list:

1982:

Conan the Barbarian (Basil Poledouris)

The Dark Crystal (Trevor Jones)

The Secret Of Nimh (Goldsmith)

Tron (Wendy Carlos)

The Thing (Ennio Morricone)

48 Hrs (James Horner)

Brainstorm (James Horner)

Uncommon Valor (James Horner)

Psycho II (Jerry Goldsmith)

Something Wicked This Way Comes (Rejected - Georges Delerue)

Gremlins (Goldsmith)

Supergirl (Goldsmith)

Beverly Hills Cop (Harold Faltermeyer)

Ghostbusters (Elmer Bernstein)

The Last Starfighter (Craig Safan)

Conan The Destroyer (Basil Poledouris)

The River (John Williams)

2010 (David Shire)

Yup, I think both Conan releases are unlikely, but you never know when something new will turn up. Like what happened with Poseidon Adventure

If the masters for Conan the Barbarian are truly lost and no other sources of reasonable quality exist, someone should at least re-release the original Milan album. That must have been out of print for a decade now.

Roger says:

The year was 1983...not quite early 80s, not quite mid-80s.

I think it has to be one of these four scores:

Brainstorm (James Horner)

Uncommon Valor (James Horner)

Psycho II (Jerry Goldsmith)

Something Wicked This Way Comes (Rejected - Georges Delerue)

Final clue from Roger:

This is a premiere release on one CD. The film is somewhat thematically linked to several other albums we've done in the past.

So its not Psycho II

The "thematical link" Roger is referring to could be POWs from the Vietnam War, as Intrada released all three "Missing In Action" scores, therefore indicating thats its "Uncommon Valor"

I've never heard anything from Uncommon Valor before; Anyone know what it sounds like?

I thought someone from one of the labels (I think it was Lukas) reported that the masters for both of Poledouris' Conan scores were basically destroyed or lost?

It always depresses me to hear about lost, damaged and/or destroyed master tapes. Sigh...

Doug's Corner pretty much confirms that it's Uncommon Valor

Our newest limited edition CD will go on sale Tuesday, September 28. It's pretty exciting, too. Literally! Dynamic action music from the eighties! I can't find my crystal ball but the composer enjoys a major following so all 3000 available copies may get snapped up. Just a wild guess, however. Anyway, I've got my copy so I'm covered. Check our site Monday evening for the posting with sound samples and artwork. If it's your kind of score, crank up the volume and enjoy!

I'll be buying!

James Horner plus action, it would sells quick I suppose. However, it's James Horner. Nothing I had never heard before, nothing I can't find from others James horner's album. I think I'll pass this one, depend on the length of the album.

Yea I listened to the boot tonight, its basically Wrath Of Khan + Aliens + Search For Spock, but in Vietnam mode instead of space mode. Lots of militaristic drumming cues

UNCOMMON VALOR

James Horner

Label: Intrada Special Collection Volume 142

Date: 1983

Tracks: 15

Price: $19.99

Time = 52:14

At last! Powerhouse early James Horner score for rousing Ted Kotcheff back-to-Vietnam hit with Gene Hackman, Patrick Swayze, Fred Ward. Horner scored action pic during incredible composing period of STAR TREK II, 48 HRS., BRAINSTORM, KRULL, SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES, TESTAMENT, other masterpieces. Kotcheff, hot off success of FIRST BLOOD, deals again with Vietnam vets in action, has composer create music both deeply moving, pulsating with action. Horner starts his signature military-style scoring method here, replete with stirring Americana trumpet solos over strings. Haunting device later graces APOLLO 13, GLORY, IN COUNTRY, COURAGE UNDER FIRE, many others. Action fans will get their fill with dynamic cues for tunnel sequence, helicopter assault, final battle & rescue scenes. Intrada presents complete score from mint condition 1/2" three-track stereo session masters stored in Paramount vaults, including all Vietnamese ensemble overlays used for powerful opening battle, subsequent POW search sequences. Extras include original song "Brothers In The Night", used for film end credits plus orchestral end title by Horner not used in finished film! James Horner conducts. Intrada Special Collection release limited to 3000 copies!

The Album

01. Main Title 7:19

02. Airport 2:16

03. Tag 2:44

04. A Lot Of Us Have Been Killed 1:21

05. Steal The Sucker 1:38

06. Yellow Rain 2:39

07. Wilkes In Tunnel 7:30

08. Attack Airbase 3:09

09. Escape Airbase 3:16

10. Choppers Over Hill 2:48

11. Final Escape 2:16

12. End Credits [Not Used In Film] 3:38

Total Score Time: 41:03

The Extras

13. Brothers In The Night - Performed by Ray Kennedy 4:39 (Written by Ray Kennedy, Kevin Dukes, David Ritz)

14. Main Title Extension 2:25

15. Parade Ground [Not Used In Film] 3:54

Total Extras Time: 11:02

http://store.intrada...it.A/id.6709/.f

http://www.moviemusi...k/uncommonvalor

UNCOMMON VALOR

James Horner

Label: Intrada Special Collection Volume 142

Date: 1983

Tracks: 15

Price: $19.99

Time = 52:14

At last! Powerhouse early James Horner score for rousing Ted Kotcheff back-to-Vietnam hit with Gene Hackman, Patrick Swayze, Fred Ward. Horner scored action pic during incredible composing period of STAR TREK II, 48 HRS., BRAINSTORM, KRULL, SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES, TESTAMENT, other masterpieces. Kotcheff, hot off success of FIRST BLOOD, deals again with Vietnam vets in action, has composer create music both deeply moving, pulsating with action. Horner starts his signature military-style scoring method here, replete with stirring Americana trumpet solos over strings. Haunting device later graces APOLLO 13, GLORY, IN COUNTRY, COURAGE UNDER FIRE, many others. Action fans will get their fill with dynamic cues for tunnel sequence, helicopter assault, final battle & rescue scenes. Intrada presents complete score from mint condition 1/2" three-track stereo session masters stored in Paramount vaults, including all Vietnamese ensemble overlays used for powerful opening battle, subsequent POW search sequences. Extras include original song "Brothers In The Night", used for film end credits plus orchestral end title by Horner not used in finished film! James Horner conducts. Intrada Special Collection release limited to 3000 copies!

The Album

01. Main Title 7:19

02. Airport 2:16

03. Tag 2:44

04. A Lot Of Us Have Been Killed 1:21

05. Steal The Sucker 1:38

06. Yellow Rain 2:39

07. Wilkes In Tunnel 7:30

08. Attack Airbase 3:09

09. Escape Airbase 3:16

10. Choppers Over Hill 2:48

11. Final Escape 2:16

12. End Credits [Not Used In Film] 3:38

Total Score Time: 41:03

The Extras

13. Brothers In The Night - Performed by Ray Kennedy 4:39 (Written by Ray Kennedy, Kevin Dukes, David Ritz)

14. Main Title Extension 2:25

15. Parade Ground [Not Used In Film] 3:54

Total Extras Time: 11:02

http://store.intrada...it.A/id.6709/.f

http://www.moviemusi...k/uncommonvalor

BRING IT ON!

Won't be buying, but awesome cover. I wonder who and what dictates what exactly they call it (i.e. 'Music From The Motion Picture'). Seems weird that it would be a contractual obgligation outside of their being a song album available like on BTTF.

Listened to a few samples. Nice, but doesn't really attract enough to think about buying.

And that's good, since my potential non-music shopping list has increased lately. My honest expectations for the rest of the year are perhaps a few LLL releases (I'll probably end up buying Alien Resurrection, and one of their big November releases has to be good)

Won't be buying, but awesome cover. I wonder who and what dictates what exactly they call it (i.e. 'Music From The Motion Picture'). Seems weird that it would be a contractual obgligation outside of their being a song album available like on BTTF.

'Music from the Motion Picture' seems to be a Paramount thing.

First clue from Roger

Two releases from the Special Collection. Both from the 1960s. Both from the same studio. Both limited to 2000 copies. Both in stunning stereo sound from the original 1/2" elements. They sound like they were recorded yesterday. Both premiere releases in any format.