• Superman Returns (2006) - John Ottman
    • Harry Potter and the Order Of The Phoenix (2007) - Nicholas Hooper
    • Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008) - Kevin Kiner

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hmnmm. I've never seen that movie or listened to its score. I'll have to check it out

Hmmm, but SOTE doesn't have a film to go along with it

If we're going to start including video game scores the list would have been 3 times as long, and I didn't want to go that route

Throwing out all of the options which relied heavily on original Williams themes, I went with Goblet of Fire (I meant to say).

Best of an average bunch.

Either Superman Returns (yep, I like this one) or Jurassic Park III. I don't remember Davis' score good enough to be sure, thus I am undecided, but I know it is quite all right.

Hmmm, but SOTE doesn't have a film to go along with it

In the poll there is no word 'Film' ROTFLMAO

If we're going to start including video game scores the list would have been 3 times as long, and I didn't want to go that route

SOTE is an exception of sorts.

Yea, I know. I'm debating

I also just realized something else - should Supergirl have been included?

from my POW, yes. It even quotes Superman.

But i could see why it could be ommited.

If you include Supergirl, should you also include the Ewoks movies? I don't think so, because there's a difference between direct sequels in the franchise, and spin-off movies that aren't necessarily sequels but still operate within the same fictional universe.

Hm, I think I must use the process of elimination here...

Never knew The Poseidon Adventure had a sequel (was it some kind of spin-off with Mr. Rogo or what?)

Never listened to any of the Superman scores in their entirety

I pretend that Jaws 2 was the last film in the franchise

I do not remember the third Home Alone, and is puzzled by the existence of a fourth one

...I guess Jurassic Park III wins.

Superman IV uses new Williams themes written for the movie, so that's cheating. I'll go with Goblet of Fire, a decent if not very memorable score for a horrible movie.

Best non-Williams entry in a Williams-scored franchise

Chamber of Secrets. Oh wait...

I do not remember the third Home Alone, and is puzzled by the existence of a fourth one

The third movie wasn't even the same characters. And the existence of the fourth one puzzles any sane person. (It was a TV movie.)

Hm, I think I must use the process of elimination here...

Never knew The Poseidon Adventure had a sequel (was it some kind of spin-off with Mr. Rogo or what?)

Never listened to any of the Superman scores in their entirety

I pretend that Jaws 2 was the last film in the franchise

...I guess Jurassic Park III wins.

Beyond the Poseidon Adventure takes place right after the first movie ends, as Michael Caine, Sally Field & Karl Malden play a group who arrive at the wreckage trying to salvage what they can before the ship goes under, however Telly Savalas plays a baddie, with henchmen, also trying to salvage what goodies he can.

Throw in some more survivors; Slim Pickens, Shirley Jones, Jack Warden, Peter Boyle and Veronica Hamel to name a few, trying to make it to the surface before the ship goes under and you spend 2 hours trying to figure out what the hell happened to Irwin Allen in his later years.

If Superman IV doesn't count then Jaws The Revenge or Superman II would be my choices.

I don't count Supergirl.

I actually thought Don Davis did a wonderful job in Jurassic Park III.

Is it just me?

But the true winner is McNeeley's Shadows of the Empire.

I actually thought Don Davis did a wonderful job in Jurassic Park III.

Is it just me?

But the true winner is McNeeley's Shadows of the Empire.

Davis did a great job when he wasn't quoting Williams' music or playing his cheesy family theme. Althought the piano rendition of JP and the performance of it just before Grant's dream on the plane are pretty good.

His action music is outstanding.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I prefer Hooper's softer sound to Doyle's more un-Potterish score, but Doyle's themes are a lot more developed and enjoyable.

I also enjoy Ottman's SR score, don't get the love for Courage's work for SM IV though.

Definitely JURASSIC PARK 3. It's the fun and silly version of JURASSIC PARK (score and film) and has always been a very entertaining listen. I like listening to it much more than THE LOST WORLD: JURASSIC PARK mostly because it actually incorporates multiple themes and motifs from the first film (and even hints from the second film if you listen closely). And when Don Davis isn't using the original themes he creates some interesting and fun new ones for the film. If any of you have ever been afraid to hear this score, you got to check it out.

And it's even better in it's complete form, which a promo was made for it. There was even once clips of unreleased material on Don's official site, but it all can be found in near-CD quality... elsewhere. :blink:

The only bad thing about the original album CD is the inclusion of that stupid "Big Hat, No Cattle" song. Yeah, it's in the movie, but in one random scene when they are at a restaurant in the background! Why did it have to be on CD and take up space for more original music? I hate those kind of decisions. I also hate that it was one of those "enhanced CDs" where you put them in your computer and it has this "bonus content" that loads. The only cool stuff it really had was the good version of the trailer (not the one they have on the DVDs), a text interview with Don Davis, and a trailer for a really cool looking JURASSIC PARK game that actually never got completed or released. Shame, looked much better than Operation Genesis, and probably would have had more exciting music, too.

I am amazed, amazed that Harry Potter 4 has gotten 8 votes. I was so disappointing in that movie and didn't like anything about the score.

I went with the Doyle. Of those I know, GOF, JP3 and SOTE were the candidates. None of them is a great score, SOTE is solid and has one highlight, JP3 is solid (likely the best-written of the three) and has one or two highlights, and GOF is solid and has several highlights.

Ha I voted without checking the votes beforehand! Courage it is. Doyle would be a close second, for me.

I am amazed, amazed that Harry Potter 4 has gotten 8 votes. I was so disappointing in that movie and didn't like anything about the score.

Like I said, I think the movie is horrible but the score is ok, the main title (The Story continues) is cool, sounds like Elfman though. The waltzes are fun, they may not be what you expect on a Potter score but they're good. It's not a masterpiece but it has some charms and considering the movie that's all one could hope.

I would have voted for Superman 4 but to me it's not really a 100% non-Williams entry and like I said that's a bit like cheating.

Like I said, I think the movie is horrible but the score is ok, the main title (The Story continues) is cool, sounds like Elfman though. The waltzes are fun, they may not be what you expect on a Potter score but they're good. It's not a masterpiece but it has some charms and considering the movie that's all one could hope.

I would have voted for Superman 4 but to me it's not really a 100% non-Williams entry and like I said that's a bit like cheating.

The HP4 score is OK, decent even, but only if you judge it on its own merits.

If you compare it to the former 3 JW scores, it's actually pretty weak.

Yea, I guess I have a hard time NOT comparing it (film and score) to the previous 3 films....

JPIII

Some of the action music is a tad directionless (such as the final dino attack), but other parts are simply masterful - Tiny Pecking Pteraranodons for example. I think the movie would've had a hard time getting a better score sans Williams.

I went with the Doyle. Of those I know, GOF, JP3 and SOTE were the candidates. None of them is a great score, SOTE is solid and has one highlight, JP3 is solid (likely the best-written of the three) and has one or two highlights, and GOF is solid and has several highlights.

I would agree with every word in this if I hadn't heard Superman IV. Is that your case, Marian?